Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 06:42:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  the Bon Jovi thread
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 93 Go Down Print
Author Topic: the Bon Jovi thread  (Read 192119 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1620 on: July 09, 2009, 05:06:24 PM »

How can u not love this guy:

Construction begins on homeless shelter

By Jennifer Lin

Inquirer Staff Writer
Just a few nights ago, homeless men slept in the doorways of an empty two-story building along an alley between the Loews Hotel and St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church in Center City.

But yesterday, a crane arrived to begin tearing down the old school to make way for permanent housing for homeless men and women.

Eighteen months from now, 79 people battling mental illness or addictions will move into a $25 million, eight-story apartment building.

Five years in development, the project is a collaboration of two nonprofits that work with the homeless: the Bethesda Project and Project H.O.M.E. Dozens of private and public donors have put their money into the effort, from the city of Philadelphia to rock star Jon Bon Jovi.

More than 200 people, including Cardinal Justin Rigali, attended yesterday's unveiling of plans for the residence. It will be named after John and Josephine Connelly, founders of the Connelly Foundation, which also contributed money to the project.

Bon Jovi told those assembled in the alley behind SEPTA headquarters at 13th and Market Streets that the residence illustrated "the power of we."

"Improving the lives of Philadelphia's most vulnerable citizens improves the lives of all its citizens," said Bon Jovi, a major supporter of Project H.O.M.E. who has donated money to four of its recent housing projects.

Other supporters are the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency, and the Federal Home Loan Bank of San Francisco.

Joan Dawson McConnon, co-founder of Project H.O.M.E. with Sister Mary Scullion, called the effort "a miracle come true."

The last few years have been "like a roller coaster" in lining up financing, Scullion said. But in the end, she said, not only did the project draw the support of multiple public and private funders, but also the backing of neighbors - from the five-star Loews Hotel to Macy's at the Wanamaker Building and SEPTA.

With so little new construction east of City Hall, the conversion of the vacant building is a positive development for the neighborhood, said Rick Staub, Loews' general manager.

The Rev. Frank Yacobi, St. John's pastor, said he saw homeless men sleeping in the doorways of the old building the night before and had the same thought he had five years ago: "Can't we do better than this?"

Yacobi said that the church was not using the former school and youth center and that in 2004 it had approached Angelo Sgro, executive director of the Bethesda Project, about taking over the site. Sgro reached out to Project H.O.M.E.

The most urgent need seemed obvious to Sgro: permanent housing for the homeless.

The facility will have 24 rooms for formerly homeless men and women working with the Bethesda Project to recover from addictions, and 55 efficiency apartments for homeless people with mental illness working with Project H.O.M.E.

A majority of people living on the streets suffer from mental illness or addictions. The city estimates that 85 percent of them are dealing with one or both.

People with special needs often live on the margins of society and don't always have the ability to live independently, Sgro said. The Connelly residence will have case workers to help tenants. Rents will be subsidized with government money.

"This building is important," Sgro said, "because we are creating desperately needed permanent, supported housing for people with special needs in an area of the city with an abundance of social services, transportation, and social opportunities."

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #1621 on: July 10, 2009, 12:13:24 AM »

That's my man! ok
robd788
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1622 on: August 13, 2009, 05:29:15 AM »

Apparantly new sinlge to be sent to radio sometime this month called we werent born to follow
New album November also this year a documentry filmed during the lost highway tour and a book and possibly live dvd from last tour.

Also rumoured new greatest hits next summer

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1623 on: August 13, 2009, 05:39:54 AM »

Hell yeah, can't wait

gonna be the shit!

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1624 on: August 18, 2009, 04:50:39 PM »

Just heard the new Bon Jovi song...........

first listen i'm not crazy about it

it usually takes a few to really like it but it definitely doesn't blow me away.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1625 on: August 18, 2009, 05:01:11 PM »

Came across this...

Bon Jovi Get ?Back to Rock & Roll? On November Album

8/18/09

On the group?s forthcoming album, guitarist Richie Sambora promises a return to the group?s roots. ?It?s back to rock & roll for us, man,? Sambora tells Rolling Stone. ?Jon and I had a wonderful time making it. Very proud of it ? just getting down to mixing it right now. We hit a very prolific period in our songwriting.? Sambora reveals the band was considering churning out a greatest-hits album, but reports, ?We started having so much fun making this record, that we decided we would do a studio album first. It sounds fresh ? I think we reinvented ourselves again.?

The album will be out in November, and RS can report the title currently floating around cyberspace is not correct.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/08/18/bon-jovi-get-back-to-rock-roll-on-november-album/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1626 on: August 23, 2009, 10:28:29 AM »

Bon Jovi Sued for Giving Lyrics A Bad Name

Posted Oct 11th 2008 1:00PM by TMZ Staff

Jon Bon Jovi is being sued for 400 bil -- yes, billion -- bucks by a Boston musician who says Jovi allegedly borrowed lyrics from his Boston Red Sox anthem entitled, "(Man I Really) Love This Team."

Samuel Bartley Steele, the front man for a band calling themselves "The Chelsea City Council," believes Bon Jovi heard his song while campaigning in Boston for John Kerry in '04, then used the lyrics in his own song entitled, "I Love This Town."

Regardless of the result, Steele really is livin' on a prayer if he thinks he's going to get that amount of cash.

A Bon Jovi spokesperson says they haven't seen the lawsuit yet.

http://www.tmz.com/2008/10/11/bon-jovi-sued-for-giving-lyrics-a-bad-name/

the judge basically threw it out of court.

http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/digestTAL.js ... _the_BoSox

Two Days in August: Skadden Wins Three Big Rulings, Including One Crazy Case Involving a Paean to the BoSox
By Ben Hallman
August 21, 2009
It's a megafirm, sure, but even at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, three big wins in two days is news. (At least by Litigation Daily standards.) In one of the cases, Skadden partner Jonathan Lerner won an affirmance from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit of the dismissal of a securities class action against Star Gas partners. (The plaintiffs, represented by Labaton Sucharow; Schiffrin Barroway Topaz & Kessler; and Shepherd, Finkelman, Miller & Shah, were found to have failed to state a claim for securities fraud.) In another, Philadelphia federal district court judge R. Barclay Surrick dismissed a securities fraud case against Merrill Lynch, concluding in a highly skeptical 40-page ruling that the plaintiffs--REITs that bought mortgage-backed securities from Merrill--failed in just about every regard to plead their case. (The plaintiffs were represented by Abramson & Denenberg and O'Shea Partners; Jay Kasner and Paul Lockwood represented Merrill, with local counsel from Morgan, Lewis & Bockius.)

Those two cases are Skadden's meat and potatoes, but the firm's third win can only be described as dessert. As journalists, we typically eschew suggesting legal advice, but we can't help ourselves when it comes to this tip: If, say, you've written a song about your love of the Boston Red Sox, and if you then sue Jon Bon Jovi, Turner Broadcasting System, Major League Baseball, and your supposedly beloved Red Sox for copyright infringement--and if you hire a "musicologist" as your expert witness to note the similarities between your song and Bon Jovi's--it would be best to check with your expert witness to see if he agrees with you. hihi

Alas for Massachusetts songwriter (and pro se litigant) Michael "Bart" Steele, he neglected to do just that. In a $400 billion suit (sure, why not?) Steele alleged that much of the visual portion of a TBS promotional ad was derived from his song, "Man, I Really Love This Team"--a paean to the BoSox that supposedly gained currency around Fenway during the 2004 season. Bon Jovi, he asserted, then based his song "I Love This Town" on the TBS promo.

Representing most of the myriad defendants (including Bon Jovi, MLB, and TBS), Skadden's Cliff Sloan moved for summary judgment. On Wednesday, Boston federal district court judge Nathaniel Gorton granted it in a 19-page ruling that cites the unsigned report by Steele's own musicologist, who said the case "is not strong musicologically."

"Steele asserts that musicologists (including his own expert) are not helpful in this case because they are not qualified to compare the video evidence presented in the form of the TBS promo," Gorton wrote. "Nevertheless, this court concludes, based upon the musicologist reports and its own review of the songs, that no reasonable jury applying the correct legal standard could find substantial similarity between the musical elements of the two works."

This got us to thinking. Why should a baseball team, particularly one as unappealing as the Red Sox, get all the love? Why doesn't anyone pen an ode to a law firm? (Sorry, Nixon Peabody, this ditty doesn't count). C'mon, Skaddenites--you managed three big wins in two days. It's August and most of your partners are on vacation anyway. So mix yourself a cocktail, summon your inner bard, and write what Bart Steele might call a "love anthem" to your firm. In fact, we extend the challenge to all you litigators out there. Send us your songs! After all, we've already started work on our own little song: "Man, I Really Love This Litigation Newsletter." We're trying to get Andrew Longstreth to agree to sing it in his next Video Sidebar.

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1627 on: August 23, 2009, 12:18:11 PM »

anyone heard the new song?

its shite. its like Bon Jovi trying to be U2 or something

html sucks
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1628 on: August 23, 2009, 01:03:30 PM »

I just listened to the song and was expecting something horrendous after reading some comments here.  I thought it was pretty good though.  Way better than that crappy country rock they spewed out last time.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1629 on: August 23, 2009, 02:01:56 PM »

Depends on which leak u get

the 2:44 leak sucks but the official isn't too bad

takes a few listens to kind of get it.

Def nothing groundbreaking but it grows on u after a few listens.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1630 on: August 23, 2009, 02:25:33 PM »

Depends on which leak u get

the 2:44 leak sucks but the official isn't too bad

takes a few listens to kind of get it.

Def nothing groundbreaking but it grows on u after a few listens.
I listened to one on youtube.  It wasn't the best of quality, but it was the full song and it sounded pretty good to me on first listen.  Again, a lot better to me than their last effort.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1631 on: August 23, 2009, 05:18:50 PM »

The full album is suppose to be big guitars and drums. Suppose to be a "rock" record so the single disappointed me on that front cause it sounded like the same stuff since Have a nice Day and I can even see that song on the country album to be honest.

so many bands are doing throw back records, I wish they would pump out another over the top anthemic Richie Sambora riff filled kick ass Slippery/NJ style album

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1632 on: August 23, 2009, 05:19:53 PM »

Here are the Rumored song titles: can't judge much off just the titles, but they sound interesting:

1. Can I Be Happy Now?

2. We Weren't Born to Follow

3. Selfish

4. (Back From) Another Tragedy

5. The Truth

6. Just Like Friends

7. Drivin'

8. Never Again

9. Work for the Working Man

10. All I Want to Know

11. 7 Oceans

12. Tomorrow

13. Yellow submarine

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1633 on: August 23, 2009, 07:03:14 PM »

I saw a live version of Work for A Working Man on youtube, Jon solo acoustic.  Wasn't impressed by that one.

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1634 on: August 23, 2009, 07:07:41 PM »

there gonna cover yellow submarine WTF?

html sucks
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #1635 on: August 24, 2009, 02:31:18 AM »

Nah, that's a fake Wink

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1636 on: September 01, 2009, 05:21:25 PM »

I like Bon Jovi and I still buy his new records,  But I do wish he would take his tampon out already.  The new single sounds like U2.  I thought the new record was supposed to be a return to rock...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1637 on: September 01, 2009, 06:12:07 PM »

I like Bon Jovi and I still buy his new records,  But I do wish he would take his tampon out already.  The new single sounds like U2.  I thought the new record was supposed to be a return to rock...
I don't know if Bon Jovi ever "rocked" anymore than U2 did.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1638 on: September 01, 2009, 06:17:38 PM »

Hell, I don't think Bon Jovi ever rocked, period.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1639 on: September 01, 2009, 06:36:56 PM »

Hell, I don't think Bon Jovi ever rocked, period.

Yeah, Slippery,New Jersey and Keep The Faith def rock

I am hoping the first single is just a commercial type thing and other stuff on the album will rock. Its suppose to have big drums and big guitars.

we'll see.

I wish they'd stop being so "safe" though of course doing a country album isn't exactly what I would call safe, but u know what I mean as far as rock stuff goes.

Richie Sambora has been neutered for the last 12 years.

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 93 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: