Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 07:00:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Comments On Book Signing Tour
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Comments On Book Signing Tour  (Read 96058 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2008, 08:46:25 AM »

Imagine the headlines and possibly the vibe within the band if Duff had said straight out that he didn't think it was a accurate description of the days of GN'R.

To me it seemed like he was trying to be nice, but honest enough not to be seen like somebody who just agrees with Slash even though, people involved would know that Duff knows, things didn't happen the way it's portrayed in the book.

Of course people remember things differently.

That's normal.

But then there's the fact that some people want to remember things in a different way in order to justify their decisions or make themselves feel better. It happens.

So imagine if you don't remember a part of your life too good and you left that behind. Maybe you quit a job, a band, a marriage fell apart etc. Are you gonna keep telling yourself, as well as everybody who'll listen to you tell your story, that it was great and you made a mistake?

In addition, some people like to take credit for what's not theirs. That also happens all the time.

So why would it be impossible that Slash did any (or all) of the above? Considering he quit the band and his memory isn't exactly clear.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
hartman
Rocker

Here since 2002

« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2008, 01:13:21 PM »

Imagine the headlines and possibly the vibe within the band if Duff had said straight out that he didn't think it was a accurate description of the days of GN'R.

To me it seemed like he was trying to be nice, but honest enough not to be seen like somebody who just agrees with Slash even though, people involved would know that Duff knows, things didn't happen the way it's portrayed in the book.

Of course people remember things differently.

That's normal.

But then there's the fact that some people want to remember things in a different way in order to justify their decisions or make themselves feel better. It happens.

So imagine if you don't remember a part of your life too good and you left that behind. Maybe you quit a job, a band, a marriage fell apart etc. Are you gonna keep telling yourself, as well as everybody who'll listen to you tell your story, that it was great and you made a mistake?

In addition, some people like to take credit for what's not theirs. That also happens all the time.

So why would it be impossible that Slash did any (or all) of the above? Considering he quit the band and his memory isn't exactly clear.

/jarmo
Sure. You might be right jarmo.

But there also the possibility that Slash is saying the truth in his book. That possibility shouldn't be neglected.

GNR forever !!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2008, 01:58:42 PM »

But there also the possibility that Slash is saying the truth in his book. That possibility shouldn't be neglected.

When you add all the things we know, you still think so?

His state at the time, comments from Duff, his own admission that his memory isn't the best etc etc.?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
spaghetti_incident
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2008, 02:07:34 PM »

at least he is opened enough to give the old band fans some insight look. there is so much stuff in there we never have been told before. though through errors here and there i've enjoyed this book a lot, it also backs up a lot what i've feared was going on back then. and as much i would like to read or watch more of that from other members aswell....i'm not expecting any other release "as a record straightening account of what happened with GN'R", so i'm happy about this one.

thank you, Slash!
Duff is saying that he appreciates the book for the insight it provided into Slash's feelings and perspective of certain events. But, he is also saying that he doesn't agree with Slash's account of how certain things happened.

Slash set himself up for criticism by saying he was setting the record straight on what happened with GN'R while also acknowledging he doesn't remember a large portion of what transpired during the days he was in GN'R. Additionally, he has also made mulitple factual errors and his recounting of certain events is questionable or incorrect. Simply put, you cannot set the record straight on certain events unless you have your facts straight.

None of that is to say that Slash is deliberately misrepresenting certain events in any way. Nor is it saying that the book is worthless as a whole. It's just to say that the book is not accurate enough to be taken as a record straightening account of what happened with GN'R.

Ali
Duff is simply saying that it's Slash's feelings and memories of the events. I bet Duff's wouldn't match Axl's and Axl's wouldn't match Slash's and Slash's wouldn't match Steven's etc ....

Thats what memories are. I bet you a lot of people here remember shit wrong or in their own way and would stand by what they said and be sure they were right.

Simply because Slash did it, and sure, he got some stuff wrong, but he's one man ... he's one mind ... he's done his best and written a fucking brilliant book. But because it was Slash, he gets his ass kicked by everyone.

Crazy.

I agree with all what you lot said. 
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2008, 02:23:33 PM »

He didn't.  But, he seemed to be able to appreciate the fact that it was Slash's version and just that, not a blow by blow account of exactly how everything went down.  That's all.  If all 5 original members put a book out, you'd have 5 different versions of what happened, guaranteed.     

After hearing Duff's comments on the book, and Slash himself said that Izzy does not remember the story he told about him...I would have to agree with you.  Smiley

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
OreGunsNRoses
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2008, 04:47:46 PM »

seroiusly, Slash was so FUCKED UP all those years, you cant expect his memory to be anywhere close to perfect. Who the hell cares? Alot of it is true, and there are lots of good stories, and info that we didnt know before. Its worth reading for any GNR or slash fan IMO
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2008, 05:09:50 PM »

seroiusly, Slash was so FUCKED UP all those years, you cant expect his memory to be anywhere close to perfect. Who the hell cares? Alot of it is true, and there are lots of good stories, and info that we didnt know before. Its worth reading for any GNR or slash fan IMO

i'm not going to read it.   i'm not interested.  he left the band 12 years ago and i see no need to look back.   fuck it.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2008, 05:17:29 PM »

i'm not going to read it.? ?i'm not interested.? he left the band 12 years ago and i see no need to look back.? ?fuck it.

wow... you really stick to your beliefs! that?s great... ok

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
OreGunsNRoses
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2008, 05:40:46 PM »

i'm not going to read it.? ?i'm not interested.? he left the band 12 years ago and i see no need to look back.? ?fuck it.

I can respect that. I enjoy reading about the band during their "heyday" or glory years, so I enjoyed the book
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2008, 07:51:53 PM »

why the fuck do you read and post in here then?? it's disgusting!

Re-Union time, baby!!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2008, 08:46:12 PM »

To Slash's credit however, He never says his account is the be all end all facts.

He says everyone will have their own version and none would be wrong that is just how he saw things.

I could tell some things were wrong, ST LOUIS obviously was flat out ridiculous and his account is in no way accurate.

But some stuff I believe to be close to truth.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 07:15:10 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2008, 11:35:49 PM »

why the fuck do you read and post in here then?? it's disgusting!

My thoughts exactly!
hartman
Rocker

Here since 2002

« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2008, 12:08:16 AM »

When you add all the things we know, you still think so?

His state at the time, comments from Duff, his own admission that his memory isn't the best etc etc.?

/jarmo
Yes, I think most of the things he told in the book are true.

Look jarmo, if you wrote a book about your life you would have friends who would come up and say "hey jarmo, that event didn't happen like that !". And that would be absolutely normal.

It wouldn't mean you are liar because the past is always a mind's creation. Our mind plays tricks on us. There's no objective truth actually.

If some things are not totally accurate in Slash's book it doesn't mean at all that he is a liar or a manipulator. He just gave his version of what happened, he told his memories, and as I told you, memories are never 100% accurate.

GNR forever !!
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2008, 05:16:49 AM »

why are we acting like lawyers in here, trying to find errors so that we can "arrest" someone, its like we are talking about a book by bill clinton or a nobel peace winner, when in fact we are talking about Slash, one of the most rocking guitarists of all times, from the Guns N fuckin Roses, who is a fucking legend in the rock n roll world, who used to drink, smoke, do tons of drugs, fucked lots of women, destroyed hotelrooms, and partied with the baddest people out there, why are we, the fans behaving like boyscouts when we are fans of a band that dident give a fuck?? Its like if you idolize ,  I dont know, lets say Hells Angels, but then sit and discuss how terrible it is that one of them drove without a helmet, thats for the police, the churchgoers and the parents to dislike, not us??

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
hartman
Rocker

Here since 2002

« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2008, 06:45:56 AM »

Don't listen to Slash's music either. Just throw away all your GNR albums.

GNR forever !!
williambailey
Rocker

"Axl is just another version of the Ayatollah"

« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2008, 07:03:11 AM »

Yawn!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2008, 07:21:23 AM »

Look jarmo, if you wrote a book about your life you would have friends who would come up and say "hey jarmo, that event didn't happen like that !". And that would be absolutely normal.

It wouldn't mean you are liar because the past is always a mind's creation. Our mind plays tricks on us. There's no objective truth actually.

If some things are not totally accurate in Slash's book it doesn't mean at all that he is a liar or a manipulator. He just gave his version of what happened, he told his memories, and as I told you, memories are never 100% accurate.

He would be a liar for admitting that he lied.

Which he did.

I think I even mentioned that people remember things differently and that it's normal so you're just repeating that.

All I'm saying is that some people would rather remember things the wrong way because it makes themselves feel better instead of going back and re-living the past while being reminded of something bad.

Then you can always leave things out that you remember, but don't want others to know about.

/jarmo

hartman
Rocker

Here since 2002

« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2008, 07:36:22 AM »

He would be a liar for admitting that he lied.

Which he did.

I think I even mentioned that people remember things differently and that it's normal so you're just repeating that.

All I'm saying is that some people would rather remember things the wrong way because it makes themselves feel better instead of going back and re-living the past while being reminded of something bad.

Then you can always leave things out that you remember, but don't want others to know about.

/jarmo

Well, most of people lie but would never admit it. That makes Slash more honest than the average.

I really have no problems with Slash or his book. Nobody would release memoires without embellishing some aspects. Most of the historical characters who wrote memoires acted like that.

GNR forever !!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2008, 08:04:43 AM »

I know most books are like that, but this is a subject where many of us know more than the average reader.

We have followed this band for years instead of being a casual Guitar Hero playing rock fan.

So the inaccuracies  become more apparent.

/jarmo

November-Blues
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2008, 03:34:23 PM »

I have been watching this for a long while now, and I find it more than slightly ludicrous to point out each and every alleged mistake in the book,after all Slash was ACTUALLY there (physically) and ACTUALLY a member of GNRs. This book isn't intended to be a historically correct manifesto, simply memories of times and places past.
 Nobody on this forum was there when all of this took place,and our memories vary by the way we percieve things,by the way we react to them,It colors our memories-for better or worse!
 Throw in a chemical cocktail or two,and that has a big bearing on events too-who here (over 30 at least) hasn't woken up the morning after drinking and said "I did WHAT?"
 VR isn't my cup of tea,and I'll be a gunner till the day I die,but Slash could've made this a biased bloodbath-bitter to the core, BUT he didn't- He merely told things as he saw them, which we are all guilty of doing.
 I don't appreciate a LOT of things Slash has done and said,but I can't fault him for this book-

Peace peace
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: