Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 09:37:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is the old GNR lineup on the new RS cover?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is the old GNR lineup on the new RS cover?  (Read 65916 times)
deep pocketz
Headliner

Lagada

« Reply #360 on: August 04, 2007, 03:05:32 PM »

yeah and slash had the glove? drool

Shocked
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #361 on: August 04, 2007, 03:48:34 PM »

yes i suppose at that time just two choices were possible :

1) guns n'roses without axl (fired by the other members).
fortunately he was clever enough to obtain the rights of the name before that.

2) guns n'roses without duff slash & matt.

in fact i don't understand why duff quit.

even if i admit axl was certainly difficult to deal with at that time, it's an evidence
(but maybe he needs more help from his friends and didn't obtain it).

i hope someday we will have the whole story...

Axl was hard to deal with , the rest of the band was drugged or boozed out , it made for difficult times. Axl had a WHOLE other vision of what he wanted the GNR name to be , he got the rights to the name ( which i think was morally wrong thats a dick move ). I'm not saying wrong its jarmo? I'm saying right now he is living off the old gnr.  The ENTIRE band but him had gone , he should've called it a day and made a new band.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #362 on: August 04, 2007, 04:10:10 PM »

I'm saying right now he is living off the old gnr

So are the former GnR members.  They marketed Velvet Revolver as GnR+STP.  They even chose a name that contrasts a gun (revolver) with something "opposite" (velvet, roses).  VR used their GnR connection heavily in their marketing.  Adler named his band after a GnR album.  Those guys are all living off of the old GnR too
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #363 on: August 04, 2007, 04:41:46 PM »

So are the former GnR members.  They marketed Velvet Revolver as GnR+STP.  They even chose a name that contrasts a gun (revolver) with something "opposite" (velvet, roses).  VR used their GnR connection heavily in their marketing.  Adler named his band after a GnR album.  Those guys are all living off of the old GnR too

beer I agree , BUT the difference is VR has released 2 albums , sure everyone here has mixed opinions of them BUT the fact remains albums are put out.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #364 on: August 04, 2007, 04:49:27 PM »

So are the former GnR members.? They marketed Velvet Revolver as GnR+STP.? They even chose a name that contrasts a gun (revolver) with something "opposite" (velvet, roses).? VR used their GnR connection heavily in their marketing.? Adler named his band after a GnR album.? Those guys are all living off of the old GnR too

beer I agree , BUT the difference is VR has released 2 albums , sure everyone here has mixed opinions of them BUT the fact remains albums are put out.
That is true.  Contraband did pretty well for their debut album but so far Libertad has got to be viewed as a HUGE dissappointment.  Maybe things will pick up, but so far not so good.  And it really sets things in reality when you think that Rick Rubin told them to come up with more songs.  Maybe he was on the right track.  While it is an accomplishment to release two albums in 3 years, is it really worth it if those albums don't sell well?  Maybe that's what Axl's afraid of and why CD hasn't been released yet.  I couldn't blame him, the fear of failure is one of the biggest.  But from what we've heard from the supposed album he has nothing to be afraid of, at least in my opinion.  I just think the general public (non-hardcore fans) have a hard time accepting the current lineup as GNR and don't really care for a GNR/STP mashup either.  I think it's great having them both, but I'm a little biased.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #365 on: August 04, 2007, 05:15:35 PM »

That is true.  Contraband did pretty well for their debut album but so far Libertad has got to be viewed as a HUGE dissappointment.  Maybe things will pick up, but so far not so good.  And it really sets things in reality when you think that Rick Rubin told them to come up with more songs.  Maybe he was on the right track.  While it is an accomplishment to release two albums in 3 years, is it really worth it if those albums don't sell well?  Maybe that's what Axl's afraid of and why CD hasn't been released yet.  I couldn't blame him, the fear of failure is one of the biggest.  But from what we've heard from the supposed album he has nothing to be afraid of, at least in my opinion.  I just think the general public (non-hardcore fans) have a hard time accepting the current lineup as GNR and don't really care for a GNR/STP mashup either.  I think it's great having them both, but I'm a little biased.

Thanks for not attacking me!! haha I am a HARDCORE GNR fan , GNR being to me the AFD to UYI era. I agree as a musician it is nerve wrecking wanting to create both A. Music that makes you happy and B. Music that can sell.  But you have to understand after a certain point it gets old , he needs to put it out soon and I've been saying that for A LONG time.  I didn't like better , it sounds like axl is trying TOO hard to incorporate different musical elements. But The Blues is SWEET!!!! The general public ( IMO ) will always think of GNR as Axl and Slash , the faces of old gnr.  I will end with the same statement as you lol , I think it's great having both bands around , but I'm a little biased.
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #366 on: August 04, 2007, 05:18:36 PM »

Pretty good article. However, the pic of Axl in his chaps is perhaps the most horrifying thing I've ever seen. It's a cool pic, but, uh, I could have done without the hairy crotch.

Otherwise, pretty cool.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #367 on: August 04, 2007, 05:23:51 PM »

Pretty good article. However, the pic of Axl in his chaps is perhaps the most horrifying thing I've ever seen. It's a cool pic, but, uh, I could have done without the hairy crotch.

Otherwise, pretty cool.
Yeah that was very disturbing.  Not one of his finer moments.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #368 on: August 04, 2007, 05:26:57 PM »

The general public ( IMO ) will always think of GNR as Axl and Slash , the faces of old gnr. 

I think you're wrong.

Axl always was, and still is, the most known GN'R member.

His name still sells papers.....

Slash is still known as "Slash from GN'R", but I don't think the casual concert goer buys a ticket for a GN'R show to see Slash play. They want to hear the songs they know from radio/MTV sung by Axl.

That's the impression I've gotten from watching shows and talking to people at the shows.

Some of them might say things like "I wish the old band was still together", but when you ask them if they liked the show, the usual answer is "Yes, it was awesome" and that the new band kicks ass.

It's almost like some people feel ashamed to admit that this band does in fact kick fucking ass and that since the old band isn't there anymore, you have to hold that against the guys who are there. That's just bullshit in my opinion.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #369 on: August 04, 2007, 05:31:17 PM »

So are the former GnR members.? They marketed Velvet Revolver as GnR+STP.? They even chose a name that contrasts a gun (revolver) with something "opposite" (velvet, roses).? VR used their GnR connection heavily in their marketing.? Adler named his band after a GnR album.? Those guys are all living off of the old GnR too

That is true.? Contraband did pretty well for their debut album but so far Libertad has got to be viewed as a HUGE dissappointment.? Maybe things will pick up, but so far not so good.? And it really sets things in reality when you think that Rick Rubin told them to come up with more songs.? Maybe he was on the right track.? While it is an accomplishment to release two albums in 3 years, is it really worth it if those albums don't sell well?? Maybe that's what Axl's afraid of and why CD hasn't been released yet.? I couldn't blame him, the fear of failure is one of the biggest.? But from what we've heard from the supposed album he has nothing to be afraid of, at least in my opinion.? I just think the general public (non-hardcore fans) have a hard time accepting the current lineup as GNR and don't really care for a GNR/STP mashup either.? I think it's great having them both, but I'm a little biased.

Thanks for not attacking me!! haha I am a HARDCORE GNR fan , GNR being to me the AFD to UYI era. I agree as a musician it is nerve wrecking wanting to create both A. Music that makes you happy and B. Music that can sell.? But you have to understand after a certain point it gets old , he needs to put it out soon and I've been saying that for A LONG time.? I didn't like better , it sounds like axl is trying TOO hard to incorporate different musical elements. But The Blues is SWEET!!!! The general public ( IMO ) will always think of GNR as Axl and Slash , the faces of old gnr.? I will end with the same statement as you lol , I think it's great having both bands around , but I'm a little biased.
I think a lot of people share that point of view, GNR is Axl AND Slash. ?Let's be honest Slash is one of the greatest guitar players ever and was a huge part of GNR's sound and all their accomplishments. ?Izzy Stradlin may have been just as important though as chief songwriter, no offense to Duff, Matt, or Steven. ?But for me GNR IS AXL. ?VR is pretty much GNR minus Axl and while they've put out 2 albums they haven't come out with anything that can come close to comparing to vintage GNR. ?Not to say Axl can, because we're still waiting. ?I for one though, believe in the material that we've heard. ?Not to compare it to classic GNR but I think it blows VR, and any other band out of the water. ?I just hope we get to hear the finished product someday before a reunion takes place, because I think that's inevitable.

RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #370 on: August 04, 2007, 05:34:33 PM »

The general public ( IMO ) will always think of GNR as Axl and Slash , the faces of old gnr. 

I think you're wrong.

Axl always was, and still is, the most known GN'R member.

His name still sells papers.....

Slash is still known as "Slash from GN'R", but I don't think the casual concert goer buys a ticket for a GN'R show to see Slash play. They want to hear the songs they know from radio/MTV sung by Axl.

That's the impression I've gotten from watching shows and talking to people at the shows.

Some of them might say things like "I wish the old band was still together", but when you ask them if they liked the show, the usual answer is "Yes, it was awesome" and that the new band kicks ass.

It's almost like some people feel ashamed to admit that this band does in fact kick fucking ass and that since the old band isn't there anymore, you have to hold that against the guys who are there. That's just bullshit in my opinion.

/jarmo

WOW I agree with you crazy!! If you say this incarnation is not talented you are tone deaf and shouldn't listen to music. Slash's name still sells paper as well , a casual ticket buyer buys tickets to hear songs that slash made with axl. Why couldn't axl , make a new name , get with this new band and create music and still play some old gnr , he choose to keep the name.

To Faldor - I agree VR comes no where near the original GNR , but Axl hasn't put anything out to compare with. See while VR to you is GNR minus Axl , This version of GNR to me is GNR w.o Slash hahaha.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #371 on: August 04, 2007, 05:36:25 PM »

Why couldn't axl , make a new name , get with this new band and create music and still play some old gnr , he choose to keep the name.

Possibly because he did not want GN'R to die and stop existing no matter what others, including you, wanted.

He was there since day one. Remember that.

Others who came on board later tried to kill the band.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #372 on: August 04, 2007, 05:50:39 PM »

/jarmo

That right there is why I don't get how people can shit on Axl for doing what he is doing. He isn't one of the guys that tried to destroy the band. He tried to keep the band together. Slash and Duff both wanted to make sure Axl couldn't go on anymore with GNR when they left.

How can people honestly fault Axl for wanting to keep GNR alive? I don't get it at all.  Undecided
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #373 on: August 04, 2007, 06:03:01 PM »

/jarmo

That right there is why I don't get how people can shit on Axl for doing what he is doing. He isn't one of the guys that tried to destroy the band. He tried to keep the band together. Slash and Duff both wanted to make sure Axl couldn't go on anymore with GNR when they left.

How can people honestly fault Axl for wanting to keep GNR alive? I don't get it at all.  Undecided

You don't know the full stories neither do I on who did what and said what about the band and all the internal issues. No one tried to kill the band?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #374 on: August 04, 2007, 06:25:02 PM »

You don't know the full stories neither do I on who did what and said what about the band and all the internal issues. No one tried to kill the band?

People left the band, then complain about how Axl kept the name.

1+1=2.

/jarmo

droezle
King of comedy
Banned
Rocker

Here today,gone to hell

« Reply #375 on: August 04, 2007, 06:35:56 PM »

Axl has the rights of the name Guns N' Roses. But where does the name come from? Mostly knowned is the combine of the names Tracii Guns/Axl Rose and L.A. Guns/Hollywood Rose. So what if Tracii start a legal issue against Axl to claim the name Guns and to get it out of the bands name? Tracii was 1 of the original founders of G N' R so could he make a change to win this case?

Where's Axl?
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #376 on: August 04, 2007, 06:49:15 PM »

1+1=2.

/jarmo

You do understand that bands are never 1 + 1 issues? I'd be bugged that there was only 1 member keeping the name , so by complaining they wanted to KILL the band ? Thats a bit of a stretch. What if everyone in GNR had quit but Slash , and he hired Scott and kept the name GNR...... Exactly.
WOJL
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #377 on: August 04, 2007, 06:51:48 PM »

Otherwise, pretty cool.

It is safe to assume that "manscaping" was not something readily practised on the Sunset Club scene 20 years ago.

However, has "Queer Eye" over stimulated the puritanical grooming sensibilities of today's society that the picture can be deemed as horrifying?

Horrifying is a car driving off a collapsed bridge into the water. Horrifying is a packed nightclub on fire and people unable to get out. Horrifying is 9/11.

Giggle inducing or eyebrow raising (after being pointed out by the crotch staring crowd) maybe. If the picture had been of a female, disturbing definitely.

Very cool pics, looking forward to more.
droezle
King of comedy
Banned
Rocker

Here today,gone to hell

« Reply #378 on: August 04, 2007, 06:53:38 PM »

1+1=2.

/jarmo

You do understand that bands are never 1 + 1 issues? I'd be bugged that there was only 1 member keeping the name , so by complaining they wanted to KILL the band ? Thats a bit of a stretch. What if everyone in GNR had quit but Slash , and he hired Scott and kept the name GNR...... Exactly.

No.
1- Axl has the rights to the name Guns N' Roses since the early '90s.
2- Slash is not an original founder of the band so he couldn't make any change to claim the name.

Where's Axl?
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #379 on: August 04, 2007, 06:58:50 PM »

1+1=2.

/jarmo

No.
1- Axl has the rights to the name Guns N' Roses since the early '90s.
2- Slash is not an original founder of the band so he couldn't make any change to claim the name.

Im not arguing legal matter here , but AFD is where things matter. The line up that made that is what matters. What if everyone had quit but Slash? Everyone would be complaining how its not right.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: