Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 09:53:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is the old GNR lineup on the new RS cover?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is the old GNR lineup on the new RS cover?  (Read 65930 times)
RoCoKiN
VIP

I am The Shackler in the Rye with Diamonds!!

« Reply #340 on: August 03, 2007, 07:48:27 AM »

Just picked up my copy yesterday...it's great and it's also cool that I used to have that picture that's on the cover on my wall approx 20 years ago.  ok

'...Oh, my distorted smile...'
suicide
VIP

« Reply #341 on: August 04, 2007, 05:14:57 AM »

when will the RS magazine be out in Europe?? Huh can?t wait to have it.
It should be in stores now. I'm picking up my copy this afternoon.
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #342 on: August 04, 2007, 12:31:05 PM »

Yeah, got it yesterday, great article. I learned a few things I didn't know, and it was just a fun read. ok

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #343 on: August 04, 2007, 12:33:27 PM »

Don't deserve it!

And so their live work doesn't count?

A good rock journalist would be embracing the momentum created by this band.
I don't see what's so amazing about playing under the huge mega known name gnr playing songs that were already huge hits and already get air time.. Once nu guns release something and have their own indentity that's when I think they deserve recognition.. It's not like this is some unknown band with a not known name bring people to the fences..
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #344 on: August 04, 2007, 12:41:12 PM »

There's only one identity: Guns N' Roses.

They are that already. They've had their own identity since day one.

They play the old songs because it'd be stupid to pretend nobody wants to hear them.

They are Guns N' Roses in 2007 no matter what you people say.

People go see Guns N' Roses in 2007 to hear Guns N' Roses songs performed live. The songs they love, sang by that voice they know from the albums and radio/MTV.

Obviously some people didn't want that to happen and would rather have seen that there was no Guns N' Roses around in 2007, but fortunately things didn't go their way.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
irishtwilight
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #345 on: August 04, 2007, 01:00:33 PM »

Don't deserve it!

The band is just playing other people's music mostly while the orginal lead singer and songwriter sings the songs. It's no different than when David Lee Roth sings Van Halen songs? or Water's does Floyd songs with a backing band. When the new album comes out then the journalists will have something to cover for real.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #346 on: August 04, 2007, 01:08:18 PM »

Don't deserve it!

The band is just playing other people's music mostly while the orginal lead singer and songwriter sings the songs. It's no different than when David Lee Roth sings Van Halen songs  or Water's does Floyd songs with a backing band. When the new album comes out then the journalists will have something to cover for real.

I think you mean Van Halen with Sammy Hagar singing songs written when Dave was in the band. 

The band was still called Van Halen and people went to see Van Halen perform Van Halen songs even though it wasn't the original line up.

Same goes for Pink Floyd, AC/DC, KISS, The Rolling Stones, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains, The Who etc etc.

All those bands have new members playing songs written by other line ups.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
irishtwilight
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #347 on: August 04, 2007, 01:32:27 PM »

Don't deserve it!

The band is just playing other people's music mostly while the orginal lead singer and songwriter sings the songs. It's no different than when David Lee Roth sings Van Halen songs? or Water's does Floyd songs with a backing band. When the new album comes out then the journalists will have something to cover for real.

I think you mean Van Halen with Sammy Hagar singing songs written when Dave was in the band.?

The band was still called Van Halen and people went to see Van Halen perform Van Halen songs even though it wasn't the original line up.

Same goes for Pink Floyd, AC/DC, KISS, The Rolling Stones, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains, The Who etc etc.

/jarmo

No I meant David Lee Roth. I was just giving examples of other lead singers and songwriters who have none of the other orginal core members, but still sing their old bands songs with a different band behind them. By the way, in all the other cases of bands you mentioned the majority of the core members are still in those bands and can't not be compared at all with Guns & Roses situation of a totally new band who has yet to put out there own material. That said I have no problem with axl calling the band GNR or anything and I  like the new unit he has in place. Though I did like it better when Buckethead was in the band and I would rather have Brain only in the fold than have both Frank and him
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #348 on: August 04, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »

I just wanted to interject something. It's a point I like to remember about this whole deal and one that's very important to me:

As far as I'm concerned I'm glad Axl didn't give up on Guns N' Roses just because certain people decided they wanted to.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #349 on: August 04, 2007, 01:40:51 PM »

Don't deserve it!

The band is just playing other people's music mostly while the orginal lead singer and songwriter sings the songs. It's no different than when David Lee Roth sings Van Halen songs  or Water's does Floyd songs with a backing band. When the new album comes out then the journalists will have something to cover for real.

I think you mean Van Halen with Sammy Hagar singing songs written when Dave was in the band. 

/jarmo

No because when sammy joined VH , HE was the new member , the rest of the real band was there. DLR is the perfect example as of right NOW that is what Axl Rose is a DLR , until he releases the material he just playing old songs with a back up band.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #350 on: August 04, 2007, 01:59:59 PM »

No because when sammy joined VH , HE was the new member , the rest of the real band was there. DLR is the perfect example as of right NOW that is what Axl Rose is a DLR , until he releases the material he just playing old songs with a back up band.

Wrong.

Guns N' Roses was started by Axl, Izzy, Tracii Guns and so on.
Van Halen wasn't started by David Lee Roth, he joined the band after it already existed.

David Lee Roth QUIT/LEFT the band to go solo. Axl never did the same thing.

GN'R is just doing what many other bands, who continued with the same name and playing old songs even though line up changed, are doing.

/jarmo

RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #351 on: August 04, 2007, 02:04:54 PM »

Wrong.

Guns N' Roses was started by Axl, Izzy, Tracii Guns and so on.
Van Halen wasn't started by David Lee Roth, he joined the band after it already existed.

David Lee Roth QUIT/LEFT the band to go solo. Axl never did the same thing.

GN'R is just doing what many other bands, who continued with the same name and playing old songs even though line up changed, are doing.

/jarmo

But the line up that first made an album is the one that matters. They barely even did shows with them. GNR ( which now consists on 1/5 original members ) is basically a good version of adler's appetite , except axl is iconic and steven isnt.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #352 on: August 04, 2007, 02:09:46 PM »

But the line up that first made an album is the one that matters. They barely even did shows with them. GNR ( which now consists on 1/5 original members ) is basically a good version of adler's appetite , except axl is iconic and steven isnt.

Of course you'd twist the history of the band to fit your needs.

Nobody is saying that line up doesn't matter, but it's a fact that Slash and Steven joined the band after it already existed.

Same way as Matt and Gilby joined an already existing band.

Your comparison to Adler's Appetite is ridiculous since the band kept going even after Steven was out of the band and Axl's input in the bands legacy is bigger than Steven's.

No matter what Steven Adler fans say, and I'm not disrespectful towards his input in GN'R, but it's a fact that Axl had a major role in GN'R and still does. Steven was "just" the right drummer at the time.

/jarmo

RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #353 on: August 04, 2007, 02:23:41 PM »

Nobody is saying that line up doesn't matter, but it's a fact that Slash and Steven joined the band after it already existed.

Your comparison to Adler's Appetite is ridiculous since the band kept going even after Steven was out of the band and Axl's input in the bands legacy is bigger than Steven's.

No matter what Steven Adler fans say, and I'm not disrespectful towards his input in GN'R, but it's a fact that Axl had a major role in GN'R and still does. Steven was "just" the right drummer at the time.

/jarmo

So your saying that incarnation of the band is important?! Slash and Steven joined a band and MADE music , sorry but this band hasn't had any music put out yet. I'm just saying UNTIL Axl puts out music than he is still doing what DLR did. He is Axl with a back up band.
Sickthings3
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #354 on: August 04, 2007, 02:23:54 PM »

Don't deserve it!

/jarmo

No I meant David Lee Roth. I was just giving examples of other lead singers and songwriters who have none of the other orginal core members, but still sing their old bands songs with a different band behind them. By the way, in all the other cases of bands you mentioned the majority of the core members are still in those bands and can't not be compared at all with Guns & Roses situation of a totally new band who has yet to put out there own material. That said I have no problem with axl calling the band GNR or anything and I  like the new unit he has in place. Though I did like it better when Buckethead was in the band and I would rather have Brain only in the fold than have both Frank and him

Actually KISS has never put out an album under their current carnation. The last release was still Ace, Peter, Paul, and Gene (talking about psycho circus, not Carnival of Souls). Tommy has yet to record an album with them, and Eric only recorded Revenge. That being said, KISS is very close to what Axl is doing, except they now actually have new members wearing the old make up. I have no say in the matter, but Axl is doing everything correctly. He has great guys with him, is kicking ass, and playing great shows!

Sorry to waste your time
Sickthings3
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #355 on: August 04, 2007, 02:29:43 PM »

/jarmo

So your saying that incarnation of the band is important?! Slash and Steven joined a band and MADE music , sorry but this band hasn't had any music put out yet. I'm just saying UNTIL Axl puts out music than he is still doing what DLR did. He is Axl with a back up band.

No, It's Guns N' Roses! If Axl went solo and was playing the songs under "Axl Rose and the hired Guns" or something like that, then he would be doing what DLR did. Or even similar to Bach, but when people goes to see them play, they want to hear the songs they know and love. Same when you go see a Guns N' Roses show, you want to hear the songs you know and love. I've been to a few shows and I did not see one single person going "Ohh damn, they are playing (insert song here)" and bummed out. Sure, people bitch about them not playing new songs, but the bottom line is, they are still going there to see Guns N Roses.
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #356 on: August 04, 2007, 02:33:25 PM »

/jarmo

No, It's Guns N' Roses! If Axl went solo and was playing the songs under "Axl Rose and the hired Guns" or something like that, then he would be doing what DLR did. Or even similar to Bach, but when people goes to see them play, they want to hear the songs they know and love. Same when you go see a Guns N' Roses show, you want to hear the songs you know and love. I've been to a few shows and I did not see one single person going "Ohh damn, they are playing (insert song here)" and bummed out. Sure, people bitch about them not playing new songs, but the bottom line is, they are still going there to see Guns N Roses.

See but that is basically what he did , went solo with hired guns. Exactly people go to here GNR songs created by previous line ups of the band , people wanna hear jungle , PC , etc.. I'm just saying UNTIL Axl releases CD than he is basically with a back up band , until people go to here Madagascar or The Blue or Better , until people WANT to here the new gnr than I'll credit him. Because people want the old music right now. Honestly , If Axl would drop the name it be better for everyone involved but whatever.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #357 on: August 04, 2007, 02:44:14 PM »

What Axl and GN'R are doing now has never really been done before.

Just because it makes no sense to you, because your way of thinking, doesn't mean it's wrong.

You can keep bringing up DLR all you want, but he left his band to go solo and then performed his old band's songs under his own name. Axl's never done that.

Steven Adler is doing something similar to that. Slash did it in Snakepit.

/jarmo

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #358 on: August 04, 2007, 02:51:50 PM »

Honestly , If Axl would drop the name it be better for everyone involved but whatever.

Axl is keeping it alive that he has a vision and a band that he still believes in.  The other guys had their choice as to whether or not they wanted to be in Guns N' Roses and they chose to quit
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #359 on: August 04, 2007, 03:00:32 PM »

yes i suppose at that time just two choices were possible :

1) guns n'roses without axl (fired by the other members).
fortunately he was clever enough to obtain the rights of the name before that.

2) guns n'roses without duff slash & matt.

in fact i don't understand why duff quit.

even if i admit axl was certainly difficult to deal with at that time, it's an evidence
(but maybe he needs more help from his friends and didn't obtain it).

i hope someday we will have the whole story...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: