Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 09:52:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Administrative
| |-+  Administrative, Feedback & Help
| | |-+  ok, I've gotta' ask....
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ok, I've gotta' ask....  (Read 37066 times)
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2007, 02:59:25 PM »

Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven are 80% of AFD and therefore their contributions to GNR far outweigh any contributions by  Frank, Bumblefoot, Richard, Tommy, Chris and Robin. I saw the band live last year and they were great so I'm well aware of who is in GNR in 2007 not that it's remotely relevant to the topic in hand but as you saw fit to bring it up. Whether you like it or not petal Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven played a major part in the GNR legacy, a much bigger part than anybody in the new band will ever play. Therefore whatever you wish to call them doesn't matter 'Steven and his friends' part in the GNR legacy is secure, unlike those in the class of 2007.

well it sounds lke you are trying to turn this place into a board for the old GnR and I think you should fuck off and find another board where that mentality is cool.   Like it or not, those guys aren't in the band anymore and there are plenty of other "GnR" boards who show Slash, Izzy, Duff, and Steven 100 times more respect than Robin, Tommy, Richard, Ron, etc.   go find them and leave us alone.

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2007, 03:05:05 PM »

I'll tell you one thing, after all the statements Slash and Duff have made, IF they do this, I'll lose all the remaining respect I have for them.

How would 4 old friends playing together to celebrate what is their biggest musical contribution to date cause you to lose respect for any them? Most people would find it exciting that 80% of the line-up that recorded the greatest album in rock history are going to potentially play a few songs together. It has been a long time since they have been on a stage together, and it is nice to see that even though they have all started other endeavors they haven't forgotten where they came from musically.

Cause Steven is all about the money...

Cause they're done with the past...

Need more?

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2007, 03:14:15 PM »

Steven is using his former band's name to sell more tickets for a club show.

Axl should fire people because of that?

Makes no sense.

Steven should be held responsible for false marketing.

No, headlines like "GNR reunites without Axl" which seems to ve the way the gig is often referenced. If the general state of GNR were a little more visible and understood by the general public outside the message boards, there would be no articles about GNR reunions because people would all know that GNR is active and playing shows.

Steven didn't advertise this for being anything other than it is. He at least claims the other 3 will be there and Axl is invited as well. It is the conspiracy theorists that make the jump to Axl actually being there. The journalists who write the stories are the ones who editorialize the title as a GNR reunion sans Axl.

My point is that GNR's current incarnation is somewhat invisible, and that if they would play the media promotional game a little bit there wouldn't be talk of a GNR reunion because people would understand they are not broken up.

How else would you attribute the press calling it a GNR reunion if the 4 of them play together if you don't think the marketing message about the band has been inadequate. A good GNR line-up plus a public demand for Guns N' Roses shouldn't equal people talking about a reunion as if they are broken up when they are currently active. Somewhere in that equation the message is not getting out to the public at large as it should be.
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2007, 03:28:16 PM »

Secondly telling someone what kind of fan they are is pretty low, it's a shame a simple question forced you to stoop to such levels. Just for your information though jarmo I'm the kind of fan that will praise them when I think something needs praise and will voice criticism when I think it is warranted, it's called being realistic. I'm not the kind of fan that will post absoloute bullshit as long as it's positive in the hope of getting backstage passes to shows and free tickets etc, those fans are called something else.

What?

You got a problem with the fact that I suspect your definition of what a fan is, is different from mine?

Seems like you got some kind of agenda against me judging by your post.

The problem is that you think a fan is somebody who thinks they're being lied to by the band and that the band doesn't care.

You've been fed bullshit for years and once you actually get something straight from the band, you can't grasp it. So it's labeled bullshit by you because it doesn't match the lies you've been fed for years.

What are you? A fan or a critic?

Sometimes I wonder. It seems like some have this need to put the band down all the time. Just like certain critics do. Finding ways to bash artists just to act cool.

You go to a show with the mission to find faults instead of relaxing and having a good time.

God forbid, if you say something positive all the other kids will point fingers and laugh at you for being a "blind" worshiper. Oh the horror!

I don't know how in the hell it's disrespecful to the new band.? ?These guys started it first, it's not THEIR fault Axl kept the name, if they want to get together publicily for a show for an anniversary for a band THEY all started and an album THEY created, how is that disrepect??

It's their music too, Jeez.

Did you miss the memo about Guns N' Roses touring in 2007 so there can't be a Guns N' Roses reunion?

/jarmo

I have an agenda with anyone who tries to tell me what kind of fan I am. You seem to think if people don't praise GNR for everything they do they aren't fans, the definition of a fan isn't 'mindless bot who praises everything said band does no matter what.' ?

Do I listen to GNR, have all their albums and enjoy their music, yes. Did I go to go see GNR last year when they came to my country knowing I would have to sleep on the streets that night after the show, yes. Do I come on these boards daily hoping one day to see a release date for CD and further down the line discuss the album song by song with fellow GNR fans, yes. Do I agree with the way GNR appear to have handled certain things over the last 18 months, no, but where is it written that I have to?

In my eyes that makes me a fan, but I won't lose sleep if it doesn't fit in with your 'definition'.

Again you refer to this Guns N' Roses reunion that nobody but the media and you have mentioned. The media will jump on anything and twist into what they want, you know that, but that's hardly anybodies fault on these boards and it's not really Adlers. He's never said 'GNR reunion' he just said Slash, Izzy and hopefully Duff would be playing with him, by the definition of the word that is a reunion. He's using his former band mates names to sell tickets not the bands name, if none of them turn up then Steven should be held held responsible for false marketing I agree, if they show up however he's done nothing wrong. The media will call it what they want, neither you, I or Steven can control that, the media may be showing direspect to Robin, Tommy etc by saying GNR reunion but we haven't called it that and neither has anyone else who might play on the 28th, be it Adler or anyone else.

Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven are 80% of AFD and therefore their contributions to GNR far outweigh any contributions by Frank, Bumblefoot, Richard, Tommy, Chris and Robin. I saw the band live last year and they were great so I'm well aware of who is in GNR in 2007 not that it's remotely relevant to the topic in hand but as you saw fit to bring it up. Whether you like it or not petal Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven played a major part in the GNR legacy, a much bigger part than anybody in the new band will ever play. Therefore whatever you wish to call them doesn't matter 'Steven and his friends' part in the GNR legacy is secure, unlike those in the class of 2007.

well it sounds lke you are trying to turn this place into a board for the old GnR and I think you should fuck off and find another board where that mentality is cool. Like it or not, those guys aren't in the band anymore and there are plenty of other "GnR" boards who show Slash, Izzy, Duff, and Steven 100 times more respect than Robin, Tommy, Richard, Ron, etc. go find them and leave us alone.

I think you missed the point completely but never mind. Ron, Richard, Tommy etc have my respect, they are a great band, I just don't understand the selective memories of some people, and why Slash, Izzy, Duff, and Steven are shown such little respect. If it wasn't for these guys there'd be no GNR and therefore no band to go and see and enjoy today.

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »

Cause they're done with the past...

Need more?

Would a person stop celebrating a child's birthday just because he and the mother got divorced? Of course not. There may be 2 separate parties for the child now, but it doesn't mean he is loved any less.

Steven is what he is. He may be all about the money, but I have friends who have done some horrendous stuff too but I don't disown them because of it. They will always share a bond with Steven no matter what he is all about. Getting together with him every couple years for a song or 2 is hardly something to throw stones at.

I guess Izzy should fall into your category too of losing respect then because he is hanging out with Adler and he too bailed on GNR like Duff & Slash.

Them getting together is no different than a sports team getting together to celebrate a championship anniversary. They may have all moved on to different cities and play for different teams, but it will always be their banner hanging from the rafters no matter how much time and distance passes.

If it happens we should all just enjoy it for what it is because it probably won't happen again until Rock Hall induction night 5 years from now when they get in.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2007, 03:36:47 PM »

I have an agenda with anyone who tries to tell me what kind of fan I am. You seem to think if people don't praise GNR for everything they do they aren't fans, the definition of a fan isn't 'mindless bot who praises everything said band does no matter what.' 

You're definitely not supportive.

Maybe you need to realize this place is for fans who actually support the band and aren't into the whole idea of bashing them in order to make themselves look cool?

Do I listen to GNR, have all their albums and enjoy their music, yes. Did I go to go see GNR last year when they came to my country knowing I would have to sleep on the streets that night after the show, yes. Do I come on these boards daily hoping one day to see a release date for CD and further down the line discuss the album song by song with fellow GNR fans, yes. Do I agree with the way GNR appear to have handled certain things over the last 18 months, no, but where is it written that I have to?

Are you putting the band down for things that might even be out of their control: yes.

Again you refer to this Guns N' Roses reunion that nobody but the media and you have mentioned. The media will jump on anything and twist into what they want, you know that, but that's hardly anybodies fault on these boards and it's not really Adlers. He's never said 'GNR reunion' he just said Slash, Izzy and hopefully Duff would be playing with him, by the definition of the word that is a reunion. He's using his former band mates names to sell tickets not the bands name, if none of them turn up then Steven should be held held responsible for false marketing I agree, if they show up however he's done nothing wrong. The media will call it what they want, neither you, I or Steven can control that, the media may be showing direspect to Robin, Tommy etc by saying GNR reunion but we haven't called it that and neither has anyone else who might play on the 28th, be it Adler or anyone else.

Explain the messages I've gotten asking me if it's true there'll be a reunion?

Explain the previous reunion rumors from when Steven Adler talked about meeting Axl.

One guy goes on and on about making a ton of money and how they have to reunite. Name that guy. That's the source of all this confusion.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
SLCPUNK
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2007, 03:36:52 PM »

^ Amen to that. But don't even get me started on 15 year daughters....sometimes, actually most of the time, I think that she is dedicated to ruining not only her own life, but ours as well. I need to start a threat  in The Jungle about what  it is like to live  with an emotionally disturbed 15 year old psychopath. hihi

Mine just turned 17 today!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2007, 05:04:13 PM »

I have an agenda with anyone who tries to tell me what kind of fan I am. You seem to think if people don't praise GNR for everything they do they aren't fans, the definition of a fan isn't 'mindless bot who praises everything said band does no matter what.' 

You're definitely not supportive.

Maybe you need to realize this place is for fans who actually support the band and aren't into the whole idea of bashing them in order to make themselves look cool?

Not supportive? Is spending money to go see the band not supportive or buying the tour merch? How about spending the night sleeping rough on the street in order to see the band? Or recommending my friends go buy tickets to see them while they had the chance because they put on such a good show? None of that supportive?

Are you putting the band down for things that might even be out of their control: yes.

I call things as I see them, if a situation sucks I'll say so. It doesn't make me any less of a fan, not imo, perhaps it does in yours but as I said I won't lose sleep.

Explain the messages I've gotten asking me if it's true there'll be a reunion?

Explain the previous reunion rumors from when Steven Adler talked about meeting Axl.

One guy goes on and on about making a ton of money and how they have to reunite. Name that guy. That's the source of all this confusion.

/jarmo

Explain them? They've clearly either read the few media outlets calling this a GNR reunion, and wonder if it's true or they have read Adlers comments and in their eyes Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven playing together is enough to call it a GNR reunion. Whether it's their ignorance or the medias spin on the situation doesn't matter, the event is not being billed as a GNR reunion by promoters and it's not being promoted as a GNR reunion by Steven.

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2007, 05:20:30 PM »

Sorry, I was busy watching Guns N' Roses rock Japan and meet Japanese fans instead of dealing with your Steven Adler threads.

/jarmo

Just curious: do you (Jarmo) have a real? job in the real? world? I mean, how do you have time to jet off to see GNR on all these different continents? And who? pays for all these? trips? Don't take? my question the wrong way, I am just curious? how? it? is possible. I know that I certainly could not do that and keep my job, so? I was? just? wondering.....

Yes I have a job which allows me to have flexible hours and I since don't spend my money on crap, I can do what I like with my savings (travel).

I haven't done anything fun since November. So imagine saving money for 6-7 months and maybe then a ten day trip to Japan doesn't seem that weird.

At the end of the day, we get it, we know you like the new band, people like me like them as well as the old band, and we know you have to be seen to be a supporter no matter what. But for god sake - deleting topics about 4/5 of the original GNR line up playing together for the first time in decades is throwing out the baby with the bathwater!

It's about respect. Guns N' Roses just finished a tour which some of you "fans" didn't want to happen. You didn't want fans other than yourselves to see GN'R play.

Now that it happened you're more than happy to disrespect the band by trying to make it seem like there's some kind of reunion just because Steven is playing a show.

I'm not interested in helping promote the event. I've gotten too many e-mails/messages asking me if it's true that there'll be a reunion already thanks to Steven.

It's fucking bullshit.

/jarmo

This has got nothing to do with GnR. Nobody said they didn't want the Japanese Tour to happen - look how disappointed people were when the original tour was postponed. You're making up stuff to prove your point.

This is about 4 ex-members possibly playing together to celebrate the anniversary of AFD - its not a gnr reunion (no such thing without Axl). The fact you get all them e-mails about a reunion is irrelevant. The fact some people are stupid shouldn't mean the intelligent ones can't discuss important news.

estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2007, 05:26:39 PM »

I don't know how in the hell it's disrespecful to the new band.? ?These guys started it first, it's not THEIR fault Axl kept the name, if they want to get together publicily for a show for an anniversary for a band THEY all started and an album THEY created, how is that disrepect??

It's their music too, Jeez.

Yeah, I was the one who left the band back in the 90's...? Roll Eyes

I'll tell you one thing, after all the statements Slash and Duff have made, IF they do this, I'll lose all the remaining respect I have for them.

Oh yeah the one where Slash said it would be cool if a few of the old guys got together to play a few songs. Roll Eyes

Slash & Duff play in VR. Together they've played with Izzy a couple of times It's a small step playing with Adler for a one-off gig. Everyone knows they've moved on but this would be a cool thing to do as a one-off for the 20th anniversary of AFD. You'd swear they were gonna rerecord AFD the way people here are disrespecting them and making it out to be more than it is.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2007, 08:12:08 PM »

Not supportive? Is spending money to go see the band not supportive or buying the tour merch? How about spending the night sleeping rough on the street in order to see the band? Or recommending my friends go buy tickets to see them while they had the chance because they put on such a good show? None of that supportive?

I guess you're one of those people who thinks buying a concert ticket is a free pass to bash the band.

There are fans who never had the chance to see the band and they're way more supportive than your kind could ever be. How's that possible?

I call things as I see them, if a situation sucks I'll say so. It doesn't make me any less of a fan, not imo, perhaps it does in yours but as I said I won't lose sleep.

So you admit to having a bias?

You admit to not caring about knowing the whole story and taking the side against the band is the way to go because you're "objective"?

Does other people's opinion about you bother you? Are you afraid to get laughed at if you appear to be a "blind worshiper"?

This has got nothing to do with GnR. Nobody said they didn't want the Japanese Tour to happen - look how disappointed people were when the original tour was postponed. You're making up stuff to prove your point.

Please. They used it as another reason to attack the band they "support". Now that the tour ended and the real fans loved it, those fans are nowhere to be seen.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2007, 08:53:55 PM »

most other GnR boards every single fucking topic turns into 'wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh reunion now lolz!!!!!1111111'  crying

let us have this one place where we dont have to justify our love for the band we are here to support and if we choose not to support something  by the ex-members you can rest assured that the other GnR boards are more than happy to talk about it.   

i hope jarmo locks this once and for all because all the questioning and demanding is BULLSHIT.

DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2007, 09:20:23 PM »

[

Did you miss the memo about Guns N' Roses touring in 2007 so there can't be a Guns N' Roses reunion?

/jarmo

I wasn't calling this a GNR reunion, I just don't see the disrepect in the old members getting together for an AFD anniversary for a band and album they made regardless whether Axl is apart of it or not.? ?To be discussed in a section dedicated to old members is something that is a far cry from disrepecting GNR as it stands now.? ?Hell they play the songs every night on their tour is that more disrepect to them, the new members, then playing the majority of the music THEY created?

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2007, 09:26:57 PM »

I guess you're one of those people who thinks buying a concert ticket is a free pass to bash the band.

There are fans who never had the chance to see the band and they're way more supportive than your kind could ever be. How's that possible?

There you go again trying to label what kind of fan I am. You said I wasn't supportive and I proved I was, so now you've moved the goalposts again and I'm now 'one of those' who uses the fact that I support the band as a free pass to bash the band. What kind of logic's that? I've forked god knows how much on GNR just so I can jutify bashing the band? hihi Ok.

Do you care to define what you mean by 'my kind'? I'm sure there are big GNR fans out there who have never seen the band live, hopefully they will get the chance one day. Quite how you can hold that against me I'm not sure and there you go yet again making out people you don't know are better fans than others, what's your criteria for the jarmo good fans list? How many superlatives someone can post in the Axls clothes thread? The number of 'Awesome's!!!' someone can post in an update thread before the show has started? I guess if that makes someone a better more supportive fan than my kind I can live with that.

So you admit to having a bias?

You admit to not caring about knowing the whole story and taking the side against the band is the way to go because you're "objective"?

Does other people's opinion about you bother you? Are you afraid to get laughed at if you appear to be a "blind worshiper"?

/jarmo

I'm sorry how does "I call things as I see them, if a situation sucks I'll say so." equate to bias? I should also have said if a situation's great I'll say so to even things up should I? You sound like a bad lawyer ?hihi

Where did I admit to not caring about the whole story to take sides against GNR? If the whole stories available great if not then I'll post voicing my opinion based on the facts available. If everyone waited for the full facts on GNR before anything was posted these messageboards would have died years ago. As I said if the band does something worth praising I'll say so, if something occurs that I think warrants criticism I'll say so. Why are you so determined to try and prove being a GNR fan and being objective are mutually exclusive? If people don't give criticism when they feel it's due then their praise loses all credibility.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 09:39:55 PM by A Private Eye » Logged

lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2007, 02:03:19 AM »

I had one simple question...I had no idea it would turn into all of this....although I should have known better.?

I'm addicted to this place, in some respects.? I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I settled here because I thought this place was all inclusive about everyone who had ever been in GnR.? Not exclusively about the original and not exclusively about now.? ?Sometimes I wonder, lately.?

I'm confounded by what has gone on, here.? This started out about a rumored show, not just about Adler's ramblings, but advertised, somewhere, "with very special guests".? Both of those things, together, made me wonder about this and why the topic was deleted.? We went for days without any answer, and I've certainly seen answers now.?

This has always been an "all-comprehensive" site, I thought.? I'm just amazed at what goes on, sometimes.? This rumored show is about the album that launched the band, and may include members who helped launch it, without whom this band would not have come into being.? ?AFD was very significant - without it, GnR may not even exist today.? It was one of the greatest albums of all time.? There's been blurbs in magazines & newspapers about it - the 20th anniversary thing .? So, I think it bears acknowledgement, and perhaps, significantly, by the people who helped create it.?

That does not and should not undermine what is going on today, whether anyone agrees with it or likes it, or not.? Shouldn't matter.?

I find it very hard to believe that anyone who considers themselves a GnR fan, perhaps from the start, would dismiss this rumored show.? To be a true fan of GnR is not all about "now".? They've existed for more than 20 yrs, and those that helped found it are very important, as far as I'm concerned.? ? ? ?
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2007, 03:40:45 AM »

Ok! Ok! So you don't get it then. You could have just said that instead of going on and on and on...... Roll Eyes

rofl rofl Did you ask an 8 year old for that retort?

I was just speaking to you at your level..... Roll Eyes

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2007, 06:23:05 AM »

There you go again trying to label what kind of fan I am. You said I wasn't supportive and I proved I was, so now you've moved the goalposts again and I'm now 'one of those' who uses the fact that I support the band as a free pass to bash the band. What kind of logic's that? I've forked god knows how much on GNR just so I can jutify bashing the band? hihi Ok.

That's exactly what your kind does. You use the excuse that since you spent money on the band, you're a real fan and you're allowed to bash them.

It's like, if you hadn't spent that money on tickets etc., then you seem to think that one shouldn't be allowed to bash the band because obviously they're not a fan.

Do you care to define what you mean by 'my kind'? I'm sure there are big GNR fans out there who have never seen the band live, hopefully they will get the chance one day. Quite how you can hold that against me I'm not sure and there you go yet again making out people you don't know are better fans than others, what's your criteria for the jarmo good fans list? How many superlatives someone can post in the Axls clothes thread? The number of 'Awesome's!!!' someone can post in an update thread before the show has started? I guess if that makes someone a better more supportive fan than my kind I can live with that.

Well let's see.

Somebody who knows who's in the band and has no problem with that.

Somebody who believes in the band.

Somebody who isn't out to make the band's fans look bad because they happen to be positive.

Somebody who knows there's people out there who know what's going on and when they speak, they have respect for that instead of bashing them and calling them liars.

Somebody who understands the word "tentative".

Somebody who's positive.

Somebody who's got the guts to stand for his/her opinion and doesn't worry if the "cool kids" thinks he/she is a "blind worshiper/ass kisser/idiot" for linking GN'R.

I guess that describes the kind of fans we want posting here.

I'm sorry how does "I call things as I see them, if a situation sucks I'll say so." equate to bias? I should also have said if a situation's great I'll say so to even things up should I? You sound like a bad lawyer  hihi

Judging by what people post, they're more than happy to "call things the way they see them" based on only one side of the story. When the other side becomes available, people are there yelling "LIAR!".

/jarmo

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2007, 06:24:55 AM »

I find it very hard to believe that anyone who considers themselves a GnR fan, perhaps from the start, would dismiss this rumored show.  To be a true fan of GnR is not all about "now".  They've existed for more than 20 yrs, and those that helped found it are very important, as far as I'm concerned.       

Well thanks to the news articles, they're totally fucking things up for other fans who think this is gonna be something that it's not.

I have no interest in taking part in that kind of shit.

Never had.

/jarmo

cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2007, 06:28:07 AM »

I find it very hard to believe that anyone who considers themselves a GnR fan, perhaps from the start, would dismiss this rumored show.? To be a true fan of GnR is not all about "now".? They've existed for more than 20 yrs, and those that helped found it are very important, as far as I'm concerned.? ? ? ?

Hmm, interesting one this.? I'd put myself in the category of GNR fan, from more or less the start ('88) and I'm more than happy to acknowledge the history of GNR and the band members who shaped this history, and how it and they have shaped current events.? However, I must admit that I only have a passing interest in hearing about what the former band members are doing these days and even less in attending any of their shows; whether solo or any kind of group combination.? Why is this?? Probably because, although the group dynamics and chemistry were undoubtedly a very important part of the band's original success, I felt that Axl was the vital ingredient and that without him it simply wouldn't be Guns N' Roses.

Broadening this out from 'GNR fan' to talking about 'GNR - the band'; in my opinion, Guns N' Roses is very definitely about "now" and always has been.? It was, and still is, about respecting musical roots and influences but not allowing them to dictate what the band is today and stifling what it can become tomorrow.

The only Guns N' Roses in existence is the band that has just completed a highly successful Aus/NZ/Japanese tour and is on the cusp of releasing an album that will blow everyone's socks off.? Therefore, as a GNR fan, why would I hanker after the past? ?No, without a doubt, for me it absolutely has to be about the present.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2007, 06:43:18 AM »

That's exactly what your kind does. You use the excuse that since you spent money on the band, you're a real fan and you're allowed to bash them.

It's like, if you hadn't spent that money on tickets etc., then you seem to think that one shouldn't be allowed to bash the band because obviously they're not a fan.

Well let's see.

Somebody who knows who's in the band and has no problem with that.

Somebody who believes in the band.

Somebody who isn't out to make the band's fans look bad because they happen to be positive.

Somebody who knows there's people out there who know what's going on and when they speak, they have respect for that instead of bashing them and calling them liars.

Somebody who understands the word "tentative".

Somebody who's positive.

Somebody who's got the guts to stand for his/her opinion and doesn't worry if the "cool kids" thinks he/she is a "blind worshiper/ass kisser/idiot" for linking GN'R.

I guess that describes the kind of fans we want posting here.

/jarmo

So where does all that cover "the kind of fan we want here wouldn't talk about 4/5ths of the AFD lineup possibly playing together to celebrate the anniversary of an amazing album." I don't see it in that list.

Unfortunately, you and A Private Eye have dragged this completely off-topic. The important thing is this has nothing to do with GnR of today so they shouldn't be brought into this. All this stuff about it being disrespectful to the current band is nonsense. They're big men, and they're professionals, and no doubt they respect the original band members, so I don't think they would care either way about this gig. However, as this board also has an ex-members section, there are legitimate reasons for posting it there. I don't think anyone here is suggesting it has anything to do with the current band, that it's a reunion, or anything else. However, discussing the possibilty of this event occuring does not make you any less of a fan.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: