Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2024, 07:51:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228089 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash accused of smoking on stage
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash accused of smoking on stage  (Read 7932 times)
Tatu
Rocker

God

« on: June 08, 2007, 08:00:03 PM »

Slash accused of smoking on stage?

[size=08pt]Slash with ash: the guitarist smoking on stage in Germany? [/size]

An investigation has been launched into claims former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash broke the law by smoking on stage during a concert in Cardiff.

Slash and singer Scott Weiland, members of rock band Velvet Revolver, are said to have smoked cigarettes at Cardiff International Arena.

Smoking in enclosed public spaces has been banned in Wales since 2 April.

Cardiff Council said it was "disappointed" to hear the claims and would be investigating.

Velvet Revolver - made up of three ex-Guns N' Roses members and former Stone Temple Pilots singer Weiland - were performing at the city centre venue as part of a tour of Europe and the Americas.

Slash - known for sporting his signature top hat with a cigarette hanging from his mouth on stage - was said to have lit up about halfway through the band's set.

Gavin Allen, who reviewed the concert for the South Wales Echo, said: "I don't think anyone in the crowd minded and I didn't hear anyone complain. It's possible the fans didn't realise it was illegal.

"I'm not that surprised because with a band like that, you expect them to smoke fags."

'Not acceptable'

Since the smoking ban in Wales was introduced, anyone caught smoking in smoke-free premises faces a ?50 fixed penalty fine.

There are similar bans in Scotland and Northern Ireland, and England will follow suit on 1 July.

If the case is prosecuted and someone is convicted in Wales, the fine can rise to up to ?200.

The manager of a smoke-free building can be fined a fixed penalty of up to ?2,500 for failing to stop someone smoking.

Cardiff Council said: "The no-smoking ban seems to be operating well in Cardiff so we are disappointed to hear that there may have been an incident of someone smoking on the stage at the CIA.

"We have yet to receive any formal complaints but we will be investigating the matter and arranging to meet with the management of the CIA urgently to explain that this kind of behaviour is not acceptable as well as seeking assurances that this will not happen again."

No-one at the Cardiff International Arena was available for comment.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/6735695.stm

You really know who's Maradona!
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 09:57:24 PM »

The Smoke Nazis have taken over the world .

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 10:00:06 PM »

Absolute bullshit. Let the man smoke if he wants. He could've been snorting coke off his guitar strings!

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 12:56:25 AM »

The Smoke Nazis have taken over the world .

You said it, brother!  I live in a town where you can't smoke in a restaurant's outdoor seating, but you better not complain when, in those same outdoor seats, you get a big facefull of bus exhaust!

Oh, and this article brings up another point.  The "CIA" (Cardiff International Arena)?  Come on.  The World Wrestling Federation gave way to the World Wildlife Fund...does ANYONE think "Cardiff International Arena" when they hear CIA?  Or, maybe I have it all wrong!  Those damned Cardiff Arena people have illegal prisons in countries around the world!  I KNEW my country wasn't to blame!  Grin

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 05:26:28 AM »

The Welsh love to sing - don't you know how damaging second hand smoke can be to the vocal chords!!!

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 05:57:10 AM »

lol now i didnt know this rule applied to gigs. certainly the performers.

html sucks
Crash99
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 06:49:40 AM »

Unbelievable I can't believe how big an issue they are making of Slash smoking. big woop. next it'll be "Slash gives 3 people cancer by having 1 cigerette" that's stupid
sixgnr
Rocker

I know it's only Rock N' Roll but I like it!

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 07:01:49 AM »

It's happened to Keith Richards too.
Sorry for Slash or anyother smoker, but I absolutely agree with the law against smoke, because I am an allergic person and since 2 years ago here in Italy, I couldn't stay in enclosed public spaces more then 30 minutes. The consequence for me was an asthma attack due to smoke. Do you know what it means?
It's not a nazi law. It save my life because asthma can kill an allergic person.
I can't image to stay at home instead to see concerts because the arenas is deny for me.
Reflect before talk

I'm Fuckin' Innocent!
Turin '92 + Milan & Zurich 2006 + Helsinki-Aalborg-Roma-Milano-Zurich 2010
sixgnr
Rocker

I know it's only Rock N' Roll but I like it!

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 07:06:08 AM »

Unbelievable I can't believe how big an issue they are making of Slash smoking. big woop. next it'll be "Slash gives 3 people cancer by having 1 cigerette" that's stupid
If Slash can smoke, why the rest of the people don't? Yes it's unbelievable
Oh my God  no

I'm Fuckin' Innocent!
Turin '92 + Milan & Zurich 2006 + Helsinki-Aalborg-Roma-Milano-Zurich 2010
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 09:24:28 AM »

this is just stupid... Imagine Slash without smoking on stage... How shitty would it be? It would be the same if he didnt have the hat... the smoking is part of him... and it?s one of the reasons why we think he?s so fucking cool.  smoking (lol  I dont smoke and I hate to inhale others smoking so I?m not against these new laws, I think they are right but hey!... Slash is Slash  Wink)

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 01:21:14 PM »

Yeah, at the show i went to, slash and scott could smoke while security would shut down any audience member that tried to light up. I personally believe thats how it should be.  The smoking is practically part of the act/show and it doesnt really carry out into the audience anyways. Now if, someone in the jam packed crowd is smoking, you will know pretty quickly 
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 07:12:20 PM »

Reflect before talk

In the city in which I live , an anti-smoking ordinance was enacted that made no exceptions . This had the effect closing cigar bars and tobacco shops could not allow patrons to sample their product . The law was enacted after lengthy debate on these two business' . If someone owns a business and wants to allow smoking I say it is their right ; just as it is your right not to frequent that establishment . I say once again ... smoke nazis
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 07:14:25 PM by fuckin crazy » Logged

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 12:41:17 PM »

Sweet child of Woodbine

Jun 10 2007

by Nathan Bevan, Wales On Sunday

FORMER Guns ?n? Roses guitarist Slash has hit back at the prospect of a paltry ?50 fine for breaking Wales?s smoking ban.

The former hell-raiser was last night facing being one of the first in Wales to be prosecuted for breaking the ban ? which came into effect a month ago ? after lighting up at a Cardiff International Arena gig.

But it seems Slash isn?t in the least worried about the prospect of a fine, after telling Wales on Sunday: ?I won?t let any smoking ban bother me!?

The infamous star ? famed for playing his guitar with a ciggie dangling from his mouth ? and his Velvet Revolver band mates were seen puffing away on stage during their only Welsh date in the capital last Thursday.

But when told of the law which declares that all enclosed public places in Wales are smoke-free zones in an interview with Wales on Sunday a week prior to the show, the Los Angeles wildman explained that it ?didn?t worry him?.

But the incident has now sparked an investigation by Cardiff City Council into whether any law has in fact been broken.

And if it does, then it could make 41-year-old Stoke-on-Trent born Slash ? real name Saul Hudson ? the first to be prosecuted for breaching the ban since it came into place on April 2.

And it could land each member of the hard rocking US five-piece a ?50 fine.

Moreover, if proven, the venue itself could face an even heftier fine of up to ?2,500 for not making them put out their cigarettes, while fans in the crowd who wanted to smoke had to go outside.

A Cardiff Council spokeswoman said: ?The no-smoking ban seems to be operating well in Cardiff.

?So we are disappointed to hear that there may have been an incident of someone smoking on the stage at the CIA.

?We have yet to receive any formal complaints.

?But we will be investigating the matter and arranging to meet with the management of the CIA urgently to explain that this kind of behaviour is not acceptable as well as seeking assurances that this will not happen again.?

A fan of Velvet Revolver, who travelled from Aberdare to see the show, said: ?I?m amazed no one expected this to happen.

?Slash without a fag in his mouth would be like the late Oliver Reed walking past an open pub door.?

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 02:49:10 PM »

I think if they've recieved no complaints, then they should just shut up and let it pass.  The law is for the benefit of the general public, not the authorities, and if nobody at the show saw fit to complain, then let this one slide, and make it clearer before any future concerts.

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
shaunbhoy
Banned
Rocker

All HTGTH Moderators are Pussy's

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 03:11:29 PM »

Slash is a heavy smoker , there is really no point in him Scott or Duff going offstage and outside the arena for a smoke, if Slash was hit with a fine of 50 Pounds for smoking in an arena he would pay it no problem yes

Sometimes l Feel Like I'm Beating A Dead Horse
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 03:25:04 PM »

I think if they've recieved no complaints, then they should just shut up and let it pass.  The law is for the benefit of the general public, not the authorities, and if nobody at the show saw fit to complain, then let this one slide, and make it clearer before any future concerts.

But they knew of the law a week before the show, doesn't matter if no one complained. BY that logic, if no one complained about a drug dealer on a corner, then no harm done right?
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 03:32:48 PM »

I've lost all respect for him now. no

hihi

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 04:35:51 PM »

But they knew of the law a week before the show, doesn't matter if no one complained. BY that logic, if no one complained about a drug dealer on a corner, then no harm done right?

Well in theory, but people on the street DO complain about drug dealers don't they. 

It caused no harm, no-one at the show was bothered, and when push comes to shove, do you REALLY think slash will blink twice about paying ?50 for the privelage of smoking in public? 

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
Crash99
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 06:29:32 PM »

Sorry for Slash or anyother smoker, but I absolutely agree with the law against smoke, because I am an allergic person and since 2 years ago here in Italy, I couldn't stay in enclosed public spaces more then 30 minutes. The consequence for me was an asthma attack due to smoke. Do you know what it means?
It's not a nazi law. It save my life because asthma can kill an allergic person.
I can't image to stay at home instead to see concerts because the arenas is deny for me.
Reflect before talk
He Had 1 (one) cigarette in a 2 hour set. If you can't handle 1 person on stage having a cigarette maybe you should stay home.
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 10:38:50 AM »

Reflect before talk
He Had 1 (one) cigarette in a 2 hour set. If you can't handle 1 person on stage having a cigarette maybe you should stay home.

It's the law. So it's the principle that counts. The law doesn't specify how many you can smoke before you're breaking the law, if you're caught smoking then it's illegal. The leniancy of the fine (50 euros) reflects the fact it was a small offence.

I remember at the Dublin gig in 2005, when Ireland was the only country to have banned smoking in public places, Slash said he was disappointed the Irish didn't rebel against it: "I thought if anyone would have fought against this it'd be the fuckin' Irish!" rofl Anyway, Slash and Scott lit up and smoked anyway which was cool. Nothing happened then, but at least this incident in Cardiff proves nobody is above the law.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: