Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 09:58:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GN'R in South Africa in April & May
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GN'R in South Africa in April & May  (Read 36661 times)
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2007, 11:11:14 AM »

I can't think of a better name for a rock and roll festival than "CokeFest".

I was thinking the same thing. I can tell right now Axl's not gonna let that go during the show. if they play it.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2007, 11:13:07 AM »

Africa and Brazil.... Im an American and it may sound bad to say but we dont care about Africa or Brazil (even though I speak portugese)  If you want to be big in America you release an album, release a single, release a video and go on a world tour.  Thats what bands do.  GNR has to try to be big becasue in order for them to break even on this album they must sell millions of copies.  I am not saying going to these places would never be a good thing, but a band is not going to agree to a festival a month after their album is supposed to be released if they are the calibur of GNR.  What manager would do that?  THey lock themselves into a gig 1,000's of miles away so that they cant set a north american tour or even a european tour.  They also cant decide to work on a video or make any public appearances during that time.  If the album was coming out March 6 then timing would be everything.   No smart manager is going to commit to a concert without knowing how the album will be recieved. 

You can disagree all you want, but I guarantee if this is true the album will not be released in march or april.  You can save this post and throw it in my face after, but I guarantee the album will not be released before this event if GNR is scheduled to play at it.

Bullshit man. A band can play where ever the fuck they want to when ever they want to. It don't mean a damn thing if they play Africa, Brazil or fucking NYC right after the album is released. As long as they play somewhere. You do realize they have fans in other parts of the world that would like to see them too. Stop being so damn ignorant and realize theres a world outside of the fuckin US.
elmir
VIP

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2007, 11:16:05 AM »

Africa and Brazil.... Im an American and it may sound bad to say but we dont care about Africa or Brazil

that was really stupid...

I am not saying going to these places would never be a good thing, but a band is not going to agree to a festival a month after their album is supposed to be released if they are the calibur of GNR.

what if the album is not coming out in March?

What manager would do that?

the one whose job it is to generate cash for the band...in other words....most managers.

THey lock themselves into a gig 1,000's of miles away so that they cant set a north american tour or even a european tour.

firstly, they didn't lock themselves into anything....if you've been watching Axl Rose carefully over the past 20-odd years, you'd notice that he can't be locked into anything....

secondly, you've already had an american and a european tour....now its time for those countries who DON'T complain about setlists to get a taste of gnr also....its simple mathematics....gnr needs cash...thousands of people in the third world are willing to give it to them.

They also cant decide to work on a video or make any public appearances during that time.

also wrong....major international acts have filmed videos in rsa during their tours, as the equipment is cheaper, skills are on par, if not better, and the weather and scenery is nice.

but I guarantee if this is true the album will not be released in march or april.

wow, you managed to figure that one out all by yourself?

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
chriskon72
Rocker

Thus spake the Super-Guru...Did you hear that?

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2007, 11:26:27 AM »

Guns never went to South Africa...why wouldn't they go?

I for one will go to every show they play in Brazil. In 2007 I think it's bullshit to say a band has to be in the US for a release. ?

Looking on the bright side. Maybe this means the album is really done. ?ok

I don't believe fuck all anymore till it's confirmed. Just way too much bullshit involved when it comes to this band and unfortunatley the bands always goes with the silent treatment, which sucks for us.

I was all wired and excited in sept-oct-nov-I was going crazy dec-I was insane...Now I'm like o.k. cool whatever...but still hoping ?: ?beer ?

20.05.88 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
07.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
08.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
28.05.92 Kanstatterwasen, Stuttgart
26.06.93 Olympiastadion, Munich
07.04.10 Figali, Panama
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2007, 11:38:39 AM »

Bullshit man. A band can play where ever the fuck they want to when ever they want to. It don't mean a damn thing if they play Africa, Brazil or fucking NYC right after the album is released. As long as they play somewhere. You do realize they have fans in other parts of the world that would like to see them too. Stop being so damn ignorant and realize theres a world outside of the fuckin US.

How about this, you two who complain about my post, copy it, save it and if the album comes out on March 6 or before this concert and GnR is playing at this concert then you can throw it in my face, but Id be willing to be any amount of money that that will not happen.   I never said they shouldnt play there so for Theproject I highly recommend taking a course in school that teaches you how to read. I merely said that this does not fit with a time table for an upcoming release.  How about this; go out and find an example of a major band that has ever agreed to do a concert in South Africa when they have an upcoming album inbetween the time of the agreement and the concert.  You wont.  If a band wants to sell millions of copies they do so in America, especially since they are an American band.  The rest of the world will take what they can get, but this is an American world, Guns N Roses is an American band, and the label is American and the population they need to convince is the American population.  Sorry, it might suck, but no other country has the purchasing or promoting power as America does for music and most of the rest of the world get their music through American owned and run corporations. I.e. you want GNR to be big on MTV Holland, youre gonna need it to be big in the U.S..  It is managing 101, oh and old rock bands touring overseas does not look good for a band thats trying to look new and fresh.  American rockbands that spend more time touring overseas tend to be considered washed up.
spaghetti_incident
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2007, 11:41:18 AM »

Well, if Guns plays this, wouldn't it be a big money maker for them seeing that it is a festival?

I bet they pull out.

And where does Rock in Rio fit into this?  Isn't that usually around this time too?
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2007, 11:43:26 AM »

Africa and Brazil.... Im an American and it may sound bad to say but we dont care about Africa or Brazil

people like you are the reason for the great reputation the USA have earned in the world ok

no

It's annoying to have blanket statements put out in your name (or your country's name).   rant 

The band JUST toured the US, and I see no problem with them hitting some spots in Asia, South America, and whatnot, before coming back home.  If the album's great, let it build to a fever pitch, before touring the US again. 

From what I've seen, Brazil is nuts about GNR, and so GNR should go to Brazil.  I don't know...well...anything about the South African music scene, but if they're similarly nuts about GNR and this is a good festival, then there's only good that can come out of going.  So, next time you feel like making a blanket statement about Americans not caring about this or that, you might check with at least one other American, first.  headbanger   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2007, 11:44:03 AM »

Well, if Guns plays this, wouldn't it be a big money maker for them seeing that it is a festival?

I bet they pull out.

And where does Rock in Rio fit into this?? Isn't that usually around this time too?

Rock In Rio has been in Lisboa the last two years, in the summertime. Don't know where the next one will be.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2007, 11:46:58 AM »

There is no RIR-L this year. I think the next one is next year or the year after.
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2007, 11:48:59 AM »

I was under the impression that the next Rock in Rio-Lisbon will be on 2008.

Could be wrong, but there was a two year gap between the previous two.

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2007, 11:51:47 AM »

How them playing in S.A. is a negative thing is beyond me. It is stupid for people to freak out because they are playing this show. The album may still come out in March, we have heard nothing to think otherwise as of yet. And so what if it does gets pushed back? This show isnt till the end of April.

What I find promising is that under the heading it says" new biography coming soon"
Maybe we'll see it updated with a release date?

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
gungun
Opening Act

GALO!!!!

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2007, 11:54:50 AM »

Thankz for Info..

For me, It's Bad news... NO SUDAMERICA...

crying

hbk *

Why??? Evanescence have a South American Tour before the CokeFest... Why Guns can't play in South America before or after the South African shows? Wink
elmir
VIP

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2007, 11:57:31 AM »

How about this, you two who complain about my post, copy it, save it and if the album comes out on March 6 or before this concert and GnR is playing at this concert then you can throw it in my face, but Id be willing to be any amount of money that that will not happen.

I never said that the album will be out before that. I agree with you, the album may not come out before then, but i'd rather have axl touring than going silent on us like he did during 2003-2006.

I never said they shouldnt play there so for Theproject I highly recommend taking a course in school that teaches you how to read.

I never suggested that you said that either. you said who cares about Africa and that no self-respecting manager would do this to his band. I was arguing that point.

How about this; go out and find an example of a major band that has ever agreed to do a concert in South Africa when they have an upcoming album inbetween the time of the agreement and the concert.

Metallica, U2, Collective Soul, Live.

If a band wants to sell millions of copies they do so in America, especially since they are an American band.  The rest of the world will take what they can get, but this is an American world, Guns N Roses is an American band, and the label is American and the population they need to convince is the American population.

very wrong. Agreed, America is the biggest market, but trust me, the rest of the world won't take what they get....a typical example are the bands who strike it huge in Japan and no one else knows about them anywhere else....each market has their own set of requirements, and needs to be approached individually....agreed, the strategies don't differ much from country to country, but that is why its usually called a world tour...not an american tour with a gig in Tokyo.

Sorry, it might suck, but no other country has the purchasing or promoting power as America does for music and most of the rest of the world get their music through American owned and run corporations. I.e. you want GNR to be big on MTV Holland, youre gonna need it to be big in the U.S..  It is managing 101,

no one is disputing that...but there are billions of dollars elsewhere, and in that same book of managing 101 it says that those dollars should be collected.

oh and old rock bands touring overseas does not look good for a band thats trying to look new and fresh.  American rockbands that spend more time touring overseas tend to be considered washed up.

how can you say something like that after gnr just did a massive tour of the states?

try and separate your personal emotions from a good decision, which is this gig in Africa, and then you will see the difference. I am as frustrated as you are that the album is being delayed time and time again, but this set of shows is a good decision, and frankly will make no difference to either the album's release date or its promotion.

it won't do a single thing, but wake up 100.000 odd people who were beginning to forget about gnr, to start believing again.
and for that reason alone....its a great decision.

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2007, 11:59:40 AM »

Guns 'n Roses live in SA for the My Coke Fest 2007

It?s music on the Coke side of life, so naturally, the festival will boast the usual impressive mix of SA talent and international music heavyweights.

It?s going to be a 12-hour, adrenalin filled festival that will quench the strongest music thirsts. Just think of it all going down the way an ice cold Coke goes down on a hot day.

http://www.5fm.co.za/events/eventsdetails.aspx?id=7281

Does anyone else find this description of the festival to be a bit odd/humorous? 

#1: What the hell is the "Coke side of life."  I mean, I can take a guess, but it'll be completely influenced by Scarface and, so, probably not in like with Coca-Cola's newer image.

#2: The festival is going to go down like an "ice cold Coke goes down on a hot day."  Seriously, did some marketing intern just write this up really quickly on a Friday at 4:57 pm?   rofl   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
elmir
VIP

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2007, 12:01:09 PM »

#1: What the hell is the "Coke side of life."

its coca cola's marketing tagline for this part of the world.

#2: The festival is going to go down like an "ice cold Coke goes down on a hot day."  Seriously, did some marketing intern just write this up really quickly on a Friday at 4:57 pm?

exactly that.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2007, 12:03:20 PM »

#1: What the hell is the "Coke side of life."

its coca cola's marketing tagline for this part of the world.

#2: The festival is going to go down like an "ice cold Coke goes down on a hot day."  Seriously, did some marketing intern just write this up really quickly on a Friday at 4:57 pm?

exactly that.

Ahh, then it makes a bit more sense.  Anyway, I'm not disputing the quality of the festival or anything like that...I just find the marketing amusing.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
elmir
VIP

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2007, 12:05:22 PM »

Ahh, then it makes a bit more sense.  Anyway, I'm not disputing the quality of the festival or anything like that...I just find the marketing amusing.

well, lets face it, its not exactly Ozfest or the Inland Invasion...it is Africa after all...but it will pack a huge crowd, and GNR are coming.
enough to get excited.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2007, 12:07:18 PM »

well, lets face it, its not exactly Ozfest or the Inland Invasion...it is Africa after all...but it will pack a huge crowd, and GNR are coming.
enough to get excited.

Ehh, Ozzfest has gone down the shitter.  They get Black Label Society, which is cool, but it's all nu-metal, and they piss off the old bands like Iron Maiden.  Don't sell this Coke Fest short.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
elmir
VIP

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2007, 12:09:56 PM »

Ehh, Ozzfest has gone down the shitter.  They get Black Label Society, which is cool, but it's all nu-metal, and they piss off the old bands like Iron Maiden.  Don't sell this Coke Fest short.

it sucked last year.
organisation was crap, no refreshments were on hand for 70.000 people who came to see Metallica, security couldn't care less, toilets were 10 miles down the road....

they didn't even provide Coke.

the bands were good though.

McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2007, 12:23:50 PM »

I've heard some people
Say this is just a "cash-grab"
Like that's a bad thing.

What's the problem there?
We do business TO GRAB CASH!
Why is that term bad???  Huh

Splash

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: