Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 10:11:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  VH1 Classic's Top 20 Metal Bands...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VH1 Classic's Top 20 Metal Bands...  (Read 15762 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2007, 04:43:57 AM »

Ah, screw it, I'll make my own list.  Grin This list has both influence, and personal slant going into consideration.

#1- Iron Maiden. A controversial choice, I know. There were so damn many stoner bands that approached Sabbath's heaviness, but few NWOBHM bands had Maiden's quality and importance.

#2- Judas Priest. Another NWOBHM band of importance, that loses the #1 spot due to falling quality in the 80's, even though their 70's work more or less saved metal from the punk rock explosion (and Sabbath's late Ozzy period suckiness) later in the decade.

#3- Black Sabbath. Duh.

#4- Death. One of the first death metal bands (Possessed was first). One of the few bands that was able to evolve from punkish early death/thrash to true death metal. Possessed, Slaughter (NOT the glam band) and Master never could take it as far as Death did.

#5- Bathory. This is the Death of black metal. They didn't create it (Venom did), but they defined it. And by they, I mean Quorthon. His influence in viking metal is also huge.

#6- Deep Purple. Reasons listed above.

#7- Morbid Angel. Altars of Madness is a classic, but Blessed are the Sick proved that slow, doomy death metal could be just as heavy. That album is probably the South of Heaven of death metal. They're also one of the most popular, influential bands in the death metal genre.

#8- Manilla Road. Just a consistently great, old school metal band that never really sold out. Over a dozen albums worth owning there. Even "classic" bands like Metallica and Slayer can only boast 3 or 4.

#9- Manowar. These guys are metal personified. And, unexpectedly, their first 4 albums are actually artistically relevant, no matter how cheesy they eventually got. They made some of the finest early American power metal. They are, unfortunately, often overshadowed by overrated thrash bands you have probably heard of.

#10- Mayhem. They pushed metal's ideology to the limit.

That's all I feel like listing. Just be assured that you'll have a good starting education in metal from just hearing these 10 bands.  Cheesy
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2007, 07:37:35 AM »

Um, because Deep Purple KILLS Led Zeppelin? Listen to the high, operatic vocals on "Child In Time". Look at the guitar/synth work and awesome solos. Just about every power metal band that has ever existed owes something to Deep Purple. Or Rainbow, more specifically, but Ritchie Blackmore refined much of Rainbow's elements while he was in Deep Purple.

There are also bands like Sir Lord Baltimore, Budgie, Blue Cheer, and Iron Butterfly to consider. Of all the important pre-metal and proto-metal bands, Led Zeppelin would barely make the top 20, if even that.

Freedom's list is good, but Dark Tranquillity and Opeth aren't that great, at least compared to those other bands. Judas Priest should be there for helping fire up the NWOBHM with the album Killing Machine and the leather look, and perhaps Mayhem, for its importance in 2nd wave black metal history.

id much rather go for black dog over smoke on the water anyday.  Led Zeppelin should make the top 20, because they influenced nearly every style of rock and metal there is.

html sucks
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2007, 10:38:32 AM »

The 10 Greatest Metal Bands and Pre-Metal Pioneers:           
1. Black Sabbath                                                                     
2. Alice Cooper                                                                         
3. Deep Purple                                                                         
4. Iron Maiden                                                                     
5. Metallica                                                                         
6. Opeth                                                                     
7. Death                                                                           
8. Dark Tranquillity                                                               
9. Slayer                                                                               
10. Bathory                                                             

No offense, but how can you make a list of pre-metal pioneers and not have Zeppelin? They were just as important, if not more important, than Deep Purple.

It was a conscience decision, really, about whether Zep qualified, and not about the quality of their work.  Did they influence metal bands?  Sure.  But they have so much material that is SO far from metal, that I chose to not count them as part of the group.  It was a subjective choice, so I'm sure some will disagree.  Had I included them, they would have been quite high on the list.     

Freedom's list is good, but Dark Tranquillity and Opeth aren't that great, at least compared to those other bands. Judas Priest should be there for helping fire up the NWOBHM with the album Killing Machine and the leather look, and perhaps Mayhem, for its importance in 2nd wave black metal history.

I was trying to hit on some heavyweights in a few different styles...obviously Priest can be on any list, but I like Maiden more (simple as that) and didn't want it to be too NWOBHM heavy.  I think Opeth is an amazing current metal band.  Dark Tranquillity is on there for the melodic death though, now that I think about it,  there were better choices...though they're still incredible.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 10:44:06 AM by freedom78 » Logged

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2007, 04:50:40 AM »

At The Gates is a more important Gothenburg band than Dark Tranquillity, anyway. Judas Priest is often seen as an NWOBHM band, but their earlier material puts them in a different category than Maiden. Opeth is a fine band, but not good enough for an all time list. Edge of Sanity, maybe.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2007, 06:53:45 AM »

Opeth is a fine band, but not good enough for an all time list. Edge of Sanity, maybe.

Lol wtf? Edge of Sanity are brilliant, for sure, and they were before Opeth, but Opeth has just taken the music to such new levels and directions that EoS remains nothing but a marginal band in comparison. Furthermore, if you're talking about an all time list, it helps if the band is at least somewhat known - people actually know Opeth, and in my opinion they've had more influence than EoS ever will.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2007, 07:21:22 AM »

Yes, but Crimson destroys every album Opeth has ever done, put together. People mostly know Edge of Sanity because Dan Swan? was in it (and 532432 other bands Wink), but it's still well known enough. As for influence, not too many bands can emulate Edge of Sanity; Opeth's forumula is a little easier. It's apples:oranges there. Edge of Sanity is mostly better just on musical quality. Opeth is great; Edge of Sanity is greater.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2007, 12:13:57 PM »

Yes, but Crimson destroys every album Opeth has ever done, put together. People mostly know Edge of Sanity because Dan Swan? was in it (and 532432 other bands Wink), but it's still well known enough. As for influence, not too many bands can emulate Edge of Sanity; Opeth's forumula is a little easier. It's apples:oranges there. Edge of Sanity is mostly better just on musical quality. Opeth is great; Edge of Sanity is greater.

I'm not too familiar with Edge of Sanity, so I'll give them a listen.  I do agree that At the Gates would be a better choice for a Melodic death band than DT.  But, that's what happens when you throw a list together and post it without any serious review/revision.

#10- Mayhem. They pushed metal's ideology to the limit.

I have trouble taking Mayhem seriously.  Maybe Emperor would be a better black metal choice?  I personally prefer Immortal WAY more than either of them.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2007, 12:55:18 PM »

I'm not too familiar with Edge of Sanity, so I'll give them a listen.

Check out Crimson, it's one 40 minute song/album. If you like Opeth (as I assume you do), there's a 90% chance you'll dig EoS too Smiley

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2007, 01:11:22 PM »

Nah, more like a 110% chance, since Edge of Sanity is better than Opeth.  Grin And yes, their epic Crimson albums take a lot of influence from classical music (and jazz, and damn near everything else), with one point being long compositions instead of short songs. It's not too avant-garde though. It's not excessively experimental or pretentious, but it's not ordinary, either. It's just simply great, creative music.

Emperor is no way more important than Mayhem. They're good, but not that good. Immortal, perhaps, since they put out some fine albums before Mayhem, and were consistently great for their whole career. I've even heard they've reunited, as well. For Mayhem, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is the only studio album that's worth getting.

However, Mayhem's infamy was not only influential for the black metal scene, and metal as a whole. It was influential to the whole world. No band was as insane before or since Mayhem. Lots of bands, church burners, and internet amateur quasi-philosophers have been influenced by Mayhem. Their importance is holistic, while other black metal bands were only important to "the scene". Plus, Mayhem gave birth to Burzum, the best black metal solo project since Bathory; only Graveland comes close to what Burzum was.

For all that, I still think Mayhem deserves all the credit they get. Or, at least the drummer, Hellhammer, since all the others are either dead or in prison now.  rofl
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2007, 01:26:10 PM »

Yeah I agree Priest should def. be on any metal list. They are very important to metal.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
zman
Rocker

LONG LIVE 80's METAL!!

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2007, 02:33:14 PM »

Ok now i will have to look into EoS i was not that big a fan of Opeth but will give EoS a shot.

If you are going to talk about influential black metal bands then you should include Venom. They are the best and when i saw them in the 80's they l scared me but kicked ass and have been a huge fan since. As for Mayhem i only have one album (Mysteris) and it is pretty good. I do have to agree with Walk they where an INSANE band and had a big hand in influencing the death metal scene.     

"IT'S ONE LOUDER ISN'T IT?"

"It's like a Sherlock Holmes story-a lot of fog and pipes."
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2007, 11:51:22 PM »

Um, because Deep Purple KILLS Led Zeppelin? Listen to the high, operatic vocals on "Child In Time". Look at the guitar/synth work and awesome solos. Just about every power metal band that has ever existed owes something to Deep Purple. Or Rainbow, more specifically, but Ritchie Blackmore refined much of Rainbow's elements while he was in Deep Purple.

There are also bands like Sir Lord Baltimore, Budgie, Blue Cheer, and Iron Butterfly to consider. Of all the important pre-metal and proto-metal bands, Led Zeppelin would barely make the top 20, if even that.

Deep Purple kills Led Zeppelin? That's one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. Why the hell would I care about power ballads? Power ballads suck, except for those by GN'R like "Don't Cry."

I'll take "Heartbreaker," "Immigrant Song," "Communication Breakdown," "Whole Lotta Love," and a slew of others over everything Deep Purple did with regards to metal. Do I like Deep Purple? Hell yeah. They kick ass. But do they come close to kicking Zeppelin's ass in my opinion? Hell no. Zeppelin is up there with the Beatles and the Stones as one of the best bands ever.
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2007, 11:56:31 PM »

I'd take Zep over Deep Purple any day of the week. But Zeppelin shouldn't be named on any metal list.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2007, 07:06:21 AM »

Deep Purple kills Led Zeppelin? That's one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. Why the hell would I care about power ballads? Power ballads suck, except for those by GN'R like "Don't Cry."

I'll take "Heartbreaker," "Immigrant Song," "Communication Breakdown," "Whole Lotta Love," and a slew of others over everything Deep Purple did with regards to metal. Do I like Deep Purple? Hell yeah. They kick ass. But do they come close to kicking Zeppelin's ass in my opinion? Hell no. Zeppelin is up there with the Beatles and the Stones as one of the best bands ever.

Child in Time a power ballad?  Huh You must be thinking about the wrong band here. Deep Purple began to use neoclassical influences in their music, while Led Zeppelin never went beyond blues-rock.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2007, 09:18:59 AM »

Child in Time a power ballad?  Huh You must be thinking about the wrong band here. Deep Purple began to use neoclassical influences in their music, while Led Zeppelin never went beyond blues-rock.

what are you talking about. led zeppelin did all crazy styles, i mean they even had celtic music incoporated into some songs.

listen to the last song on zep 4, "when the levee breaks" that song is so ahead of its time.

html sucks
zman
Rocker

LONG LIVE 80's METAL!!

« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2007, 10:08:18 AM »

I think both bands played a HUGE role in influencing metal. If you had to compare them both it would be hard since they are totally 2 differnt bands. The one thing that Deep Purple had going for them to make them so-called more metal was Ritchie Blackmore and Ronnie James Dio. As for musicians i think Led Zepplin would blow Deep Purple out of the water. But everone has there own oppinion on the bands they like and how the y think they where influential.
Just like the Beatles people tell me they are THE greatest band ever and I listen to them and think this stuff is shit how can you listen them. And I think why did so many people go crazy for there music. 

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2007, 10:11:08 AM »

They were still a blues-rock band at heart, though. They were good, but Deep Purple was better. When The Levee Breaks is standard blues-rock. A better example would be In The Light, which went beyond most rock at the time, being one of the heaviest songs the band did. The "Celtic" elements of Led Zeppelin were interesting, but never had the importance, influence, or even song impact of Deep Purple's experimentation.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2007, 10:20:05 AM »

I think both bands played a HUGE role in influencing metal. If you had to compare them both it would be hard since they are totally 2 differnt bands. The one thing that Deep Purple had going for them to make them so-called more metal was Ritchie Blackmore and Ronnie James Dio. As for musicians i think Led Zepplin would blow Deep Purple out of the water. But everone has there own oppinion on the bands they like and how the y think they where influential.
Just like the Beatles people tell me they are THE greatest band ever and I listen to them and think this stuff is shit how can you listen them. And I think why did so many people go crazy for there music. 

Oh, come on. John Bonham was the only Led Zeppelin member who could compete, musically, with Deep Purple. The rest sounded decent in the studio, but live performances exposed their hack natures. They were terribly sloppy at times, admittedly due to drug abuse. They weren't terrible, but they never had the pure, technical skill of Deep Purple.

The Beatles were a moderately sophisticated pop band in the last part of their careers. They got credit for advancing pop music to its limits, which isn't really saying much, since pop is such a limited form of music.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2007, 10:53:33 AM »

Oh, come on. John Bonham was the only Led Zeppelin member who could compete, musically, with Deep Purple. The rest sounded decent in the studio, but live performances exposed their hack natures. They were terribly sloppy at times, admittedly due to drug abuse. They weren't terrible, but they never had the pure, technical skill of Deep Purple.

The Beatles were a moderately sophisticated pop band in the last part of their careers. They got credit for advancing pop music to its limits, which isn't really saying much, since pop is such a limited form of music.

personally id have to say led zeppelin live during 69 to 71 lets say, were a perfect live group.

after that plants voice isnt as good live.

html sucks
zman
Rocker

LONG LIVE 80's METAL!!

« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2007, 02:35:30 PM »

personally id have to say led zeppelin live during 69 to 71 lets say, were a perfect live group.

after that plants voice isnt as good live.

It all depends on how you feel for each band it is apple and oranges.  i like both bands and favor one over the other.

Yes i would agree with you on 69-71 was there better years.

As for Deep Purple there new line up is Awesome. Steve Morse is still in the band yeah? I know he is playing with the Dixie Dreggs right now.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: