Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 11:49:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Skid Row thread
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Skid Row thread  (Read 84882 times)
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #220 on: September 28, 2006, 11:29:29 AM »

Fuck, shame to hear your low opinions, i'm in the process of downloading.....here's a link to the torrent:

http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/865821/Skid_Row_Revolutions_Per_Minute_Promo_2006_AMRC
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #221 on: September 28, 2006, 01:41:49 PM »

Fuck, shame to hear your low opinions, i'm in the process of downloading.....here's a link to the torrent:

http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/865821/Skid_Row_Revolutions_Per_Minute_Promo_2006_AMRC

i wouldnt bother wasting the hard drive space.

html sucks
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #222 on: November 02, 2006, 06:32:53 AM »

Maximum Metal Review

Skid Row - Revolutions Per Minute - 2006 - SPV

Sure it isn't "Slave To The Grind", but it sure is damn good. Rock and rollers Skid Row are hitting high numbers with "Revolutions Per Minute", a rowdy good time that plays like white trash while spewing golden glory Hollywood hair metal. It seems like this is the revolution, happening right before our eyes while we watch 80s and 90s high class acts like Warrant, Winger, Bang Tango, and Quiet Riot check in with new releases in 2006. Ex-Bachless once again, Skid Row follows up "Thickskin" with another fantastic outing. This one probably leans more towards the fine, punk themed ventures of Brides Of Destruction than the silly, alternative colored "Thickskin". Vocalist Johnny Solinger lights up the mic here, really bangin' out some serious sing-alongs with cuts like "Another Dick In The System" and the fun filled "White Trash". While some songs continue the radio friendly ploy (see "Disease" and "Strength"), other songs like "When God Can't Wait" burn with a punk spark. "You Lie" checks in (twice actually) with some humor filler. Not necessary, but it is hard rock...we need the vibe. Obvious highlights are "Let It Ride" and the groovy "Love Is Dead".

Bottom Line - Another steady hard rock venture from one of the genre's finest. Dirty, loud, and nasty...with a touch of good radio friendly songs.

Skid Row - Revolutions Per Minute
Chad Bowar - http://heavymetal.about.com/od/cdreviews/fr/skidrow.htm

It's been more than a decade since Sebastian Bach recorded with Skid Row, but his shadow still looms large over the band. Original members Dave "Snake" Sabo, Rachel Bolan and Scotti Hill still remain, and they've added drummer Dave Gara. This is the second CD recorded with vocalist Johnny Solinger, and the 2006 version of Skid Row sounds much different than the 1989 version.
Revolutions Per Minute is a really diverse album. You'll hear melodic metal/hard rock in the vein of their biggest hits, but Skid Row also shows many other sides. "You Lie" is a twangy country song that morphs into metal, "When God Can't Wait" sounds like the Pogues, there are a lot of punk influences, and they even do a cover of the Alarm song "Strength."

The band made an excellent choice when selecting Solinger as their vocalist. He is not a Bach clone and his style is much grittier and his voice lower pitched. This CD has a lot of really catchy songs, good musicianship and showcases many different facets of Skid Row.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art15495.asp

Review of SKID ROW ? Revolutions Per Minute

It?s the second coming of Skid Row. Although the last record, Thickskin, signaled a new beginning with recently-recruited vocalist Johnny Solinger, it took this record to have everything gel properly.

Sounding fresher than ever, the band has produced a terrific record that will last a long time in your stereos. Always strong songwriters, the band has written 11 songs that all stand up, each with their own identity?and a couple of interesting ones at that, but more on that later. Led mainly by the songwriting of bassist Rachel Bolan, guitarists Scotti Hill and Snake Sabo also contribute as Solinger puts his signature on top.

The disc opens with a really commanding cut, ?Disease? that sets the bar high right off the bat. Solinger sounds excellent, able to soar over the verses effortlessly but adding just enough grit to give it some muscle. Getting even more intense is the sardonic ?Another Dick in the System? which picks up the pace over the already rapid beginning.

The first great cut is ?Pulling My Heart Out From Under Me? which has a nice riff and sing-along chorus. A big surprise comes in the form of the next cut ?When God Can?t Wait? which sounds like a Flogging Molly song that should be played in front of some soccer crowd, yet still retains the Skid Row attitude. Nice to hear the boys having some fun and switching things up a bit. ?Strength? is another terrific cut that is made so by the terrific vocals of Solinger. Another surprise greets the ears when ?You Lie? gets cued up. It?s a country-tinged song that sounds like the Rebel Meets Rebel record before throwing the hammer down at the end. As with the punk-ish song, the variety of material here is refreshing.

Skid Row is back in a big way with a strong record that is bristling with all the snotty attitude of their 1989 debut.[/i]

There, some positivity for ya!  I've only had a chance to give it a quick listen, thought it was fairly good though...... ok
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #223 on: November 02, 2006, 08:36:00 AM »

you honestly like the new album?

html sucks
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2006, 11:00:27 AM »

Yeah, it ain't gonna win any awards and i've heard many better albums this year but i still enjoy it...... headbanger
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2006, 11:04:11 AM »

Yeah, it ain't gonna win any awards and i've heard many better albums this year but i still enjoy it...... headbanger

i think its the worst skid row album they have ever put out.

really bad, hillbilly punk effort, its just not them.

and its not the singer issue, i liked the first one with johnny, but this album, terrible.

html sucks
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2006, 11:09:28 AM »

i think its the worst skid row album they have ever put out.

really bad, hillbilly punk effort, its just not them.

and its not the singer issue, i liked the first one with johnny, but this album, terrible.
It's definately different but that doesn't bother me, just a fun party album, it probably is there worst album, but hell i like all their albums so that's not a bad thing......
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2006, 02:07:02 PM »

i like it too!

some songs kick ass, but some doesnt do too much for me....

i think it looses some of the tense-ness (ifthat is a word) toward the end though...

but still, rachel rules!  peace

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
axlschild
Headliner

..when your taking to yourself..and nobody's home

« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2006, 02:17:21 PM »

no offence to those who enjoy this record, but i though this was the biggest piece of shit i've heard in a long time Huh
i though thickskin was great and love everything skid row have done, sttg is my 2nd fav record ever.
so disappointed... Cry

i hope they manage to record again and redeem themselves.

just my opinion...
 ok

Don't play your guitar when your talking to me...

Milton Keynes '93
Leeds '02
Download '06
Sheffield '06
Nottingham '06
Leeds '10
Birmingham '12
spacebrain5000
Rocker

feelin' like a space brain one more time tonight..

« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2006, 02:59:45 PM »

personally this album didn't do anything for me and was rather painful to listen to. partly because it sucked, partly because it's skid row and it sucked. and this is the first time skid row has ever sucked for me.
captain pal, you're damn right rachel rules. rachel is a fucking rad motherfucker.
personally,  i think he should go back to prunella scales. now that was something fresh, innovative, fuckin awesome out of your brains coolness.
for those who don't know, prunella scales is this experimental rock n' roll punk band that was one of rachel's side projects when skid row initially disbanded. they only made one cd in 1997 called Dressing up the IDiot, but it is one of the best cds i own. and rachel is a fantastic singer.
i'd reccommend getting that over getting revolutions per minute.

robots.
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2006, 04:04:10 PM »

personally this album didn't do anything for me and was rather painful to listen to. partly because it sucked, partly because it's skid row and it sucked. and this is the first time skid row has ever sucked for me.
captain pal, you're damn right rachel rules. rachel is a fucking rad motherfucker.
personally,  i think he should go back to prunella scales. now that was something fresh, innovative, fuckin awesome out of your brains coolness.
for those who don't know, prunella scales is this experimental rock n' roll punk band that was one of rachel's side projects when skid row initially disbanded. they only made one cd in 1997 called Dressing up the IDiot, but it is one of the best cds i own. and rachel is a fantastic singer.
i'd reccommend getting that over getting revolutions per minute.

where can one get the album? cant find it anywere.. (didnt loook to good either though)

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
spacebrain5000
Rocker

« Reply #231 on: November 02, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »

i got my copy cheap on ebay.
it's an absolutely fantastic cd. some really amazing stuff on there.
"Dressing up the Idiot" 1997 - Prunella Scales
one of the most consistently played cds of my collection, and it's sad because no one has ever heard of it.

robots.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #232 on: November 02, 2006, 08:50:51 PM »

the toreent takes almost 2 hrs, not sure if Im gonna waste my time with that. I hated thick skin. sounds like this one isnt much better.

Skid Row was Sebastian Back as GNR is Axl Rose.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
spacebrain5000
Rocker

« Reply #233 on: November 02, 2006, 09:07:43 PM »

i would disagree to the sentiment that sebastian bach is skid row- the main songwriters were always rachel and snake.
i read a review that once described skid row (especially slave to the grind) as glam thrash. and i absolutely agree with that. i always saw it like, rachel was the thrash, snake was the glam, poppy sound. and together it created a sonic fusion of awesomeness. they really are(were) a unique band, especially slave and subhuman race.

and then sebastian wrapped it all up and definitely embodied everything that skid row was.
but the soul of skid row to me is rachel and snake.

for example... i've heard a few live bootlegs of some of sebastian's new songs off his new cd with his new band.. and while musically it's okay, and bach is in as always, beautiful form vocally, the thing that is fundamentally missing is lyrically. skid row always had really beautiful unique, kick you in the face but in an almost thoughtful provocative way lyrics heavy with lots of imagery and symbolism and it just sounds so god damn good. eloquent and rip your balls off. that also, was skid row to me. because when you have sebastian bach as your singer, you better make sure what he's singing (and screaming) sounds fucking good.

and while skid row's new singer vocally is (somewhat) talented, he's no a rock star, he's almost nondescript to me. bach was just the perfect fucking fit. and it's just never gonna be the same.
i think, personally the skid row ship has basically sailed for now. i think they mostly just want to hold on to the name, former glory. like i said, i think they should disband, rachel should go back to prunella scales which is(was) a fucking brilliant band.
wow long post.
............basically, i fucking love skid row. (old school man)
skid row and gnr are my all time favorite, favorite god damn bands.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 09:29:57 PM by spacebrain5000 » Logged

robots.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #234 on: November 02, 2006, 09:41:59 PM »

When you mention Skid Row, Bach comes to mind. He's got one hell of a voice. But you do make a good point. I got to see Bach in action tues nite. His new songs sounded good, but the lyrics were not up to Skid Row standards, Ill give ya that.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #235 on: November 02, 2006, 10:44:24 PM »

do u think the original members and bach will ever kiss and make up or is that as laughable as Slash re-joining Guns N' Roses???

its just kills me, cuz as SpaceBrain said, Bach was just the fucking perfect fit for Skid Row.

i mean part of the reason they fired him was due to the poor album sales but i doubt their past two albums did very well so whats the difference.

i know bach can be a dick, i watched alot of supergroup and was pretty shocked, but i mean they got along with him for the first three albums so.....
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 10:46:53 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #236 on: December 19, 2006, 11:07:06 AM »

well,wheni said skid row i mean on the band,not seb

one great badass band in the late 80'es era

first album is an excellent album,seconfd very good (but on that album we could see that the band goin' to heavy)

after that they were realising subhuman race,but that was the era of stupid grunge rock and that was stupid album in that style

baz is one of the greatset frontman for me,and they had excellent guitar player,for me much much better than slash (my dream combination axl -snake)

his 1992 donington performance of"youth gonna wild" for me is one of the best live performances

I have never seen so many tree
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #237 on: December 19, 2006, 11:10:26 AM »

Already a thread on them dude, prolly not even a page back

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #238 on: December 19, 2006, 12:15:34 PM »

i love all there albums with seb, subhuman and b-side ourselves included.

The first one without bach is good, the 2nd one is terrible.

html sucks
guns_n_motley
« Reply #239 on: December 19, 2006, 03:00:59 PM »

yep, they are great..

I think Scotti Hill does most of the solos.. sometimes he splits off with Snake sabo..

like with youth gone wild the first part is snake and then the second part scotti
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: