Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 12:39:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Tipping....Am I in the wrong here?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tipping....Am I in the wrong here?  (Read 13122 times)
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 10:43:42 PM »

If you like the place and want to go back, I would go back, tip her and explain that you were a little drunk and merely forgot to leave a tip. ?It wasn't a reflection on her service whatsoever, but she should not have chased after you and been agressive like that. ? That was just dumb of her because if you had gone to the manager (which I don't suggest at this point) she could have lost her job. ?
It only matters if you want to go back to this place, and it sounds like you do. ?If she's always been cool before, she was probably just having a bad day, so if you clear the air, she'll probably be bringing you free hot wings from now on.

Screw that, I'm on the first flight to Australia baby!!!  Haha nah, I'll go back in a few days and say I'm sorry that I forgot to leave a tip, but she better apologize also or else the tip jar ain't gonna be jingling jangling for Christmas, and this time I'll find a new hangout.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
JennaSide
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2006, 10:51:46 PM »

Who knows what's going on in her life... she might really need the money and had a bad day. Being a waitress probably isn't her "career choice"... she might have several other jobs, she might be between "real" jobs, who knows... ?I remember the days of waiting tables, and there are nights that you just don't make any money. You have to tip-out to the bussers and bartenders, and you might not go home with any real profits at all for a whole night of working with drunk, rude people (I'm not saying that was you)
So yeah.... ?I'm not going to lie and say that there weren't times that I wanted to chase people down, too, and lord knows I wouldn't have been so nice about it ?rant
Anyway, as far as tipping goes, I hate it. I think places should pay their wait staff hourly and just eliminate tipping, because it's true that ?just bringing out some drinks and fries isn't really that hard, so why bother? But the wait staff needs to feed their kids and pay their bills and shit, too... so yeah, it's lose-lose sometimes. But until they change the system, if you can afford to go out and buy drinks, you can afford an extra buck or two for a tip

I'm the luckiest girl alive.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 01:12:11 AM »

You are going to pay one way or the other. Tip the waitstaff or pay more for the entire meal.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 02:17:33 AM »

When i first moved to Chattanooga I went to one of those Chain Hair cut places.

I paid the haircut price and left.......... I had no idea u were suppose to tip at these places.

So Next time I went, I left a 5 dollar tip. The cut was only 10 bucks, so I figured 50 percent to make up for the last time as coincidentally it was the same lady who cut my hair the last time.

I never tip less than 20 to 25 percent.

If the waiter or waitress is bad about refills or extra rolls or something, I will tip 15 percent but if they come around and refill and are general good, always 25.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 02:26:37 AM »

<-Just happy to be English, basically.? I know I don't pay any less but i'd rather just not have to think about all this stuff.? I don't like forced etiquette, it replaces genuine friendliness and makes everyone act like robots.? like phatic talk - I hate phatic talk. Angry
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don&#039;t know how to ride a bike

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 02:45:22 AM »

i bet when i go to america im gonna get a lot of angry waitresses, barmen, doorman, cleaners, cab drivers, bell boys etc etc.

Why not just respect the customs of the country you are visiting instead?

because i'm a poor person. i can't afford to be paying extra on top of what im getting.

so if i'm ever there i'd announce to them before what ever it is im getting that im not gonna tip.

they can then proceed to give me the shittest job/service/whatever at their pleasure.

good for them. Roll Eyes

no but seriously if i was in america i'd try and tip since its what you guys do there. what i was implying is i'd probably forget due to not having the habit of tipping in australia it'd just slip my mind and i'd walk out from places like bill did. i wouldnt know which people to tip. oh well i doubt i'd be going to america anytime soon. and by the time i did, i would have forgotten all this important information and learn the hardway.

you guys tip hairdressers too? crazy stuff.

do you tip the people at the kwik-e-mart too or the local 7-11?

SLCPUNK
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 03:02:19 AM »

Naw.....just service type of jobs.

Well by the time you make it out I'm sure you will have plenty of money to drop a few extra bucks here and there.  Grin
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don&#039;t know how to ride a bike

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 03:54:13 AM »

Naw.....just service type of jobs.

Well by the time you make it out I'm sure you will have plenty of money to drop a few extra bucks here and there.  Grin

if all goes well with this law degree and i work my way up the ranks of some law firm............i'll be throwing tips left right and centre! hihi
SLCPUNK
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2006, 04:03:43 AM »

if all goes well with this law degree and i work my way up the ranks of some law firm............i'll be throwing tips left right and centre! hihi

Look me up and I'll take you out for dinner, you won't have to worry about a tip.  Cool
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 08:14:46 AM »

I had my first real tipping experiences a few weeks ago when I went to North America for the first time.

I'd leave tips for the house keeping at the hotels. Once they even left a "Thank You" note!

But the thing I noticed was that often at restaurants the waitresses really worked for their tip. Most of them were very nice compared to London (for example).

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Brody
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2006, 08:26:24 AM »

Some Places its an insult to tip.. I found that out the hardway!
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2006, 09:02:45 AM »

I try to tip at least 15-20% everywhere, depending on the circumstances (that's the standard around here).  If the server is rude and impolite, they still get a tip, just a shitty one.  You send more of a message with a $1 tip on a $25 meal, than you do with a $0 tip.

GNRevolution... the missing link.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2006, 09:48:53 AM »

i bet when i go to america im gonna get a lot of angry waitresses, barmen, doorman, cleaners, cab drivers, bell boys etc etc.

Why not just respect the customs of the country you are visiting instead?

And people say American tourists are rude??  Undecided

That was one of my fave things about new zealand and australia, NO TIPPING! Smiley  But all the prices are higher then I would have paid at home b/c the workers get a higher salary - so in the end it all kind of evened out.  I did tip occasionaly when I got exceptional service.  Plus I was just so used to it.  I felt like an ass leaving a table without putting down anything. 

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2006, 11:53:00 AM »

I still wanna' know why people don't feel the need to tip the people behind the counter at McDonalds.. hihi

Not only are they making your food...they serve it to 'ya too, afterall.. Tongue

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2006, 12:25:05 PM »

I still wanna' know why people don't feel the need to tip the people behind the counter at McDonalds.. hihi

Not only are they making your food...they serve it to 'ya too, afterall.. Tongue

Because some magical etiquette fairy deemed that these people weren't feasible enough to deserve tips.  Even though they only make $2 something an hour more than the waitress making $2.83, which the waitress will no doubt make up for in tips probably waiting on just one table.  So I say to you all.......next time you're ordering that McChicken sandwhich and you're staring into the eyes of that young lad or maiden who is serving your food...tell him to keep the change.  Watch as he puts it back into the register like a true loyalist.  Meanwhile Flo at the Diner is shaking her buns and giving you that plastic smile in hopes that because she carried a plate of food to your table and filled your coffee cup up three times (it should have been six) hoping, just hoping that you'll throw down a dollar or two.  If you don't, she'll treat you like shit next time you go in there...meaning she isn't doing her job.  Meanwhile that McDonalds stormtrooper will treat you the same every single time you go in there.  "Hello and welcome to McDonalds, how may I help you?"  God bless you, you high speed harvester of heavily greased cousine.  We salute you, Mr. McDonalds cashier, you are a real American hero.

This post was paid for by Anheuser-Busch.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2006, 01:04:37 PM »

bill213 - you fucked up. BIG TIME.

her approach might not be ideal, but i can't blame her. what you did is far more wrong than her actions. and being intoxicated in no excuse!

and to those that do not understand or agree with tipping, read jarmo's post above. it provides incentive for the waitor/waitress to do a good job and be friendly. it costs the patron the same, cause if there is no tipping, the food is more expensive, so it probably all evens out.   

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2006, 01:13:04 PM »

Because some magical etiquette fairy deemed that these people weren't feasible enough to deserve tips.? Even though they only make $2 something an hour more than the waitress making $2.83, which the waitress will no doubt make up for in tips probably waiting on just one table.? So I say to you all.......next time you're ordering that McChicken sandwhich and you're staring into the eyes of that young lad or maiden who is serving your food...tell him to keep the change.? Watch as he puts it back into the register like a true loyalist.? Meanwhile Flo at the Diner is shaking her buns and giving you that plastic smile in hopes that because she carried a plate of food to your table and filled your coffee cup up three times (it should have been six) hoping, just hoping that you'll throw down a dollar or two.? If you don't, she'll treat you like shit next time you go in there...meaning she isn't doing her job.? Meanwhile that McDonalds stormtrooper will treat you the same every single time you go in there.? "Hello and welcome to McDonalds, how may I help you?"? God bless you, you high speed harvester of heavily greased cousine.? We salute you, Mr. McDonalds cashier, you are a real American hero.

This post was paid for by Anheuser-Busch.

rofl

This post Sir, made my day ok

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2006, 01:26:59 PM »

I just can't believe that they can make people work for $2.83/hr.  That is insane!  Well, once tips come in, you go over minimum, but what if there's a storm or something and you get no customers?  You're working for below minimum wage, which is illegal.  Here, they have to pay you minimum wage and whatever you make in tips is extra.

My beef with tipping is when they add an automatic gratuity to your bill.  That defeats the purpose of calling it a "gratuity."  Some friends and I went to a restaurant a few years ago and they sat us at separate tables.  Once a bigger table became available, they offered to move us, so we said "what the hell?  let's do it."  After they brought us our food at our new table, they said that there would be an automatic gratuity of 15% on everyone's bill because we had a table of 10.  To me, that's horseshit.  They can give us the worst service in the world and we'd still have to leave a fairly substantial tip.  It doesn't make sense.

GNRevolution... the missing link.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2006, 01:43:39 PM »

have sex with her

SLCPUNK
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2006, 02:49:07 PM »

The 2 bucks an hour thing should be thrown out the window, on both sides. I don't mean as an hourly wage either. I mean the argument that a waiter "only" makes that per hour. Waiters in denny's type places will make around 5-10 bucks an hour (tips-not counting the hourly wage) while waiters in high end establishments can make 30-40 (or even higher) bucks an hour (not counting the hourly wage). What they get paid per hour goes straight to the IRS most times.

A waiter gets paid based on what they sell, that's what they get paid. Bartenders tend to make even more money and can easily hit 70-100k a year in the right places (working less than 40 hours a week.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: