Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 03:17:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  First Single (What should it be + RUMOR)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Single (What should it be + RUMOR)  (Read 56369 times)
Edward Rose
« Reply #360 on: November 27, 2006, 11:26:24 PM »

Bandita
Edward, I see what your point is and while it is noble I am sure you also realize that a band that takes a strong political stand to one side is going to wind up alienating half their fan base. 

So why did he WRITE the song?

GNR were never a "cause" band so for them to become one now would really make no sense, commercially or otherwise.

I spent the Spring and Summer in Europe this year. I can assure you that your perspective is one of being inside of the U.S. media's illusion. And also think about how many people they played for in Europe from June to September, compared to the U.S. If you take that into consideration, then our (U.S.) oppinion really doesn't matter from a dollar sign point of view. There's way more money to be made in Europe where eveyone thinks Bush is a joke.

But again, I'm not totally serious here about the idea. Just thinking about how funny it would be if he took that stand. John Lennon would have done it. But he's, well...

Edward Rose
« Reply #361 on: November 27, 2006, 11:34:59 PM »

actually i think that is a good idea. That could get the fan base to expand to a newer generation and try to show them what "good music" really is. yes

so i say good idea edward  beer

Thanks. And it really is a good song. And besides, there'll be PLENTY of time for more singles!  hihi
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #362 on: November 27, 2006, 11:35:16 PM »

Very well presented points one both sides. ?I say leave the poli-rock to Neil Young, Green Day, and Pink Floyd. I like my rock based on drugs, alcohol, sex, and f'd up relationships. If I feel "deep", I will buy some Ani Difranco cd's. ?

Although one politically orientated song won't hurt anyone. ?

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
BillBailey
Headliner

greatest piece of album art ever UYI

« Reply #363 on: November 27, 2006, 11:41:11 PM »

The first single should be something mind blowing that maybe even the diehard fans haven't heard before (ie...sorry...prostitute....) but if we were to go with something heard obviously better has the most across the board appeal. As far as Civil War is concerned lets just hope they start playing it live again. Its an amazing song that should be included in the setlist. But releasing it as a single in 2006 would be insane. Guns n Roses need to move forward with what will be a very progressive single and album.

There's a lot goin on here.....
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #364 on: November 27, 2006, 11:41:22 PM »

From a political/global standpoint I am totally on your side. ?I also lived in Europe for a time myself so please don't accuse me of being part of any media vehicle here meant to blind me from the truth. ?My standpoint has always been from a global perspective.

My point is that I don't need it served up to me in everything I listen to.

But I will take another group of my favorite musicians as an example-CSNY. ?When you think of them you think of peace, love, no war, down with consumerism etc...

John Lennon, the same....and sadly we know what happened to him for having strong views

I just don't think of these things when I think of GNR....and I kind of like them that way...
Edward Rose
« Reply #365 on: November 27, 2006, 11:41:28 PM »

Very well presented points one both sides.  I say leave the poli-rock to Neil Young, Green Day, and Pink Floyd. I like my rock based on drugs, alcohol, sex, and f'd up relationships. If I feel "deep", I will buy some Ani Difranco cd's. 

Although one politically orientated song won't hurt anyone. 

I like YOUR idea better than MINE!

ipoopie-
The first single should be.................................released.
  ok
Edward Rose
« Reply #366 on: November 27, 2006, 11:44:33 PM »

Bandita
From a political/global standpoint I am totally on your side.  I also lived in Europe for a time myself so please don't accuse me of being part of any media vehicle here meant to blind me from the truth.  My standpoint has always been from a global perspective.

My point is that I don't need it served up to me in everything I listen to.

But I will take another group of my favorite musicians as an example-CSNY.  When you think of them you think of peace, love, no war, down with consumerism etc...

John Lennon, the same....and sadly we know what happened to him for having strong views
[/b]

Roll Eyes

I just don't think of these things when I think of GNR....and I kind of like them that way...

I actually agree. And I thought those exact words when I first heard the song. That's why I'm wondering if any of this Iraq stuff is boiling up in Axl's brain... and whether he'll unleash... maybe a NEW "Civil War" type of song. That would be cool too.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #367 on: November 27, 2006, 11:46:20 PM »

Edward, I just wanted to let you know I totally enjoy the fact that you add something to this board besides useless speculation though.

You are a good writer and obviously a thinker and you get other people thinking. ?It's nice to debate topics like this instead of the usual sillyness. peace ok
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #368 on: November 27, 2006, 11:48:31 PM »

first of all, can you imagine the shit Axl would get for re-recording an old song and releasing it as a single!?!?! no one would take this record seriously....also If i were Axl i would not get political...why alienate half your fan base?
Edward Rose
« Reply #369 on: November 27, 2006, 11:54:39 PM »

first of all, can you imagine the shit Axl would get for re-recording an old song and releasing it as a single!?!?! no one would take this record seriously....also If i were Axl i would not get political...why alienate half your fan base?

That's where the illusion lies. My nephew is in special forces and he's told me some things about the oppinions of our forces over there. But I won't get him in trouble  hihi

Suffice to say, those troops are letting their relatives know how they feel. And the 50/50 illusion is about to bust wide open... in my oppinion anyway.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #370 on: November 27, 2006, 11:55:16 PM »

Very well presented points one both sides.? I say leave the poli-rock to Neil Young, Green Day, and Pink Floyd. I like my rock based on drugs, alcohol, sex, and f'd up relationships. If I feel "deep", I will buy some Ani Difranco cd's.?

Although one politically orientated song won't hurt anyone.?

I like YOUR idea better than MINE!

ipoopie-
The first single should be.................................released.
? ok

Haha, thanks.

Civil War is one of my favorite tunes, one of the reasons being that the content is different than your "typical" gnr. ?And yes Bandita, the discourse on this board is light years beyond other boards that shall remain nameless. More people here tend to have rational and cerebral thoughts beyond the all important and consequential taste great, less filling argument.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Edward Rose
« Reply #371 on: November 27, 2006, 11:56:38 PM »

Edward, I just wanted to let you know I totally enjoy the fact that you add something to this board besides useless speculation though.

You are a good writer and obviously a thinker and you get other people thinking.  It's nice to debate topics like this instead of the usual sillyness. peace ok

Thank you. And I totally agree with the bold. I'd much rather spend time with this thread than trying to explain and re-explain the split sheet thing... for what ever that's worth  Undecided

edit- This would be a good question to ask Axl if a reporter with "real" questions ever gets to interview him.
"Do you have any songs on the new album that address the current situation in Iraq?"
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 12:06:04 AM by Edward Rose » Logged
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #372 on: November 28, 2006, 12:06:48 AM »

I can't speak for everyone, but it would bug me a bit if Axl started getting all political. For instance, I am also a huge Prince fan, but a couple of his recent albums had religious and political vibes to them, and it really put me off. Then his latest album was back to making fun music, and it brought me back as a fan. It is a matter of taste, but I consider music a release and an escape. ?I already have my thoughts on politics, religion, what sucks about life, etc, so I don't want to listen to music that tone, even if I "agree" with the stance the music is taking. ?As Vince Niel once said..."I already know life sucks, I don't want to hear about it."

And as far as alienating people........I think all rock fans can come together and enjoy a song about a $1 bottle of shitty wine! What I love about GNR!!

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Edward Rose
« Reply #373 on: November 28, 2006, 12:10:44 AM »

I can't speak for everyone, but it would bug me a bit if Axl started getting all political. For instance, I am also a huge Prince fan, but a couple of his recent albums had religious and political vibes to them, and it really put me off. Then his latest album was back to making fun music, and it brought me back as a fan. It is a matter of taste, but I consider music a release and an escape.  I already have my thoughts on politics, religion, what sucks about life, etc, so I don't want to listen to music that tone, even if I "agree" with the stance the music is taking.  As Vince Niel once said..."I already know life sucks, I don't want to hear about it."

And as far as alienating people........I think all rock fans can come together and enjoy a song about a $1 bottle of shitty wine! What I love about GNR!!

That's true. I got that same vibe when M.J. went all spiritual. (That's it... I'll never be taken seriously again Smiley )

But maybe that's the mistake? Too many of those songs? I guess ONE song for the troops wouldn't hurt.  ok
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #374 on: November 28, 2006, 12:20:23 AM »

I can't speak for everyone, but it would bug me a bit if Axl started getting all political. For instance, I am also a huge Prince fan, but a couple of his recent albums had religious and political vibes to them, and it really put me off. Then his latest album was back to making fun music, and it brought me back as a fan. It is a matter of taste, but I consider music a release and an escape.? I already have my thoughts on politics, religion, what sucks about life, etc, so I don't want to listen to music that tone, even if I "agree" with the stance the music is taking.? As Vince Niel once said..."I already know life sucks, I don't want to hear about it."

That's true. I got that same vibe when M.J. went all spiritual. (That's it... I'll never be taken seriously again Smiley )

But maybe that's the mistake? Too many of those songs? One song for the troops wouldn't hurt.

Nah, I won't hold it against ya. MJ got me into Prince, but once I releazed they were nothing like each other,  I dropped MJ. 

Yes, I agree with you, it is when it turns into some sort of a concept album that it runs the risk of putting people off. One or two songs with subtle and creative lyrics won't put me off at all, in fact I would probably enjoy them.  It is the "in your face" kind of lyrics that can turn people off. I was going to make that point in my last post, but didnt know where to place it.

Hasn't Toby Keith already done a few songs for the troops? (joke)

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
MATT-A-REAL-FAN
« Reply #375 on: November 28, 2006, 01:00:31 AM »

MATT A REAL FAN
 1) THIS album is about THIS music. Not some fuckin' song from 1991,regardless of how apropos it might seem to you. This wouldn't happen for anything. Why release a rehash of some song when you've promised what you've been working on for 10 years?!? Why?!?!?

"This" album? "This" music? Was "Don't Cry" and KOHD proper for UYI then?

If this theater was REALLY in a full civil war,we'd all fuckin' know it. There'd be no news about Black Friday shopping,Paris Hilton and Britney Spears...

Really? The number of people fleeing Iraq is equal to the Unites States having the entire city of Detroit haul ass every week.

The media?? rofl

I don't even feel the need to argue this. I just had an extra 2 minutes to respond to you while waiting for an important eMail.

The way things happen regarding record companies,is because they have a proven track record with things being done the standard way.

Like bands releasing albums every so often and not waiting 12 years in between? Like bands touring with very little promotion?

The furthest your gonna see them (record companies) think outside the box will be iTunes.

And they had to lose millions first to do that. Real smart those record companies.

In my oppinion, and mine alone, if Axl wanted to re-record and re-release the song it will be done. And you couldn't do anything about it. Maybe that's what really bothers you so much.? hihi

1)Yeah Ed,they were proper. Because they weren't released on ANOTHER Guns N' Roses album already. They put "Sympathy.." on GH because it WASN'T on a GN'R album yet! Why don't they release a new version of "You're Crazy"?? Because it's dumb.

2)How many people know about those others fleeing?? I bet ya more people can tell ya who won the fuckin' Dancing with the Stars contest and what's going on with K-Fed then what's happening in Iraq!!

3)I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier,I had an important phone call to attend to.

4)Didn't I mention that I was in favor of the surprise release? You do know how to read English? Right? Que?

5)I didn't say the record companies weren't smart,I just stated what they viewed as a proven track record. Like having single first and then releasing the album. Change is scary,especially to large corporations. That's why iTunes took off,'cause it was new,good and it was virtually the only kid on the block. It's fuckin' 2006 and Microsoft finally jumped in with Zune. No one really wants to try something different until it's already been proven by someone else.? Then it becomes standard and we start over.

6)I don't care what Axl does or doesn't do you idiot. Maybe you're bothered because you're dumb fuckin' idea will never see the light of day! ?Grin

Quit your fuckin' cryin' about other boards and the lack of discussion and otherwise. "Waah! I get criticized because I express ideas considered out of the box!"
Fuck you. I shot down your dumb idea not because you're a retard (which I'm starting to believe you might be) but,because you had a crappy idea. Get over yourself. ?

Hey! Here's an idea! Why not release a NEW song Ed?!? One that is gonna be off the NEW album!!! Does that make any sense to you?!??

And stop trying to act like you are discussing meaningful.? It's GN'R fuckin' fan board,we're here to talk about music,so stick with that. I don't care who you know in"special forces" and what you think is gonna happen or whatever. That means nothing. We all know people douche.
If you wanna discuss global politics,keep your mouth shut or take it to the section of this board that isn't musically related.

? ? ? MATT
Edward Rose
« Reply #376 on: November 28, 2006, 01:09:46 AM »

MATT A REAL FAN-
How many people know about those others fleeing?? I bet ya more people can tell ya who won the fuckin' Dancing with the Stars contest and what's going on with K-Fed then what's happening in Iraq!!

Thank you for explaining why the old "Civil War" or a new similar song would be perfect for the new album... to wake people up.  ok

If you wanna discuss global politics,keep your mouth shut or take it to the section of this board that isn't musically related.

Well that would be good advice if Axl hadn't already written a song about it... making it on-topic.

I don't feel the need to address personal attacks 'cause I've been around the block.  smoking

So back to the topic. I think the part where he says, "We practice selective anihilation of mayors and government officials to create a vacum, then we fill that vacum."

That's exactly like the U.S.'s "Deck of cards" of Iraq's most wanted. Then holding elections to fill the spots.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 01:26:30 AM by Edward Rose » Logged
MATT-A-REAL-FAN
« Reply #377 on: November 28, 2006, 01:42:01 AM »

MATT A REAL FAN-
How many people know about those others fleeing?? I bet ya more people can tell ya who won the fuckin' Dancing with the Stars contest and what's going on with K-Fed then what's happening in Iraq!!

Thank you for explaining why the old "Civil War" or a new similar song would be perfect for the new album... to wake people up.? ok

Well that would be good advice if Axl hadn't already written a song about it... making it on-topic.

I don't feel the need to address personal attacks 'cause I've been around the block.? smoking

So back to the topic. I think the part where he says, "We practice selective anihilation of mayors and government officials to create a vacum, then we fill that vacum."

That's exactly like the U.S.'s "Deck of cards" of Iraq's most wanted. Then holding elections to fill the spots.

? ? Been around the block,have ya?? Well,that changes everything. You must be a big shot!? nervous? Where are my manners?!?

You didn't ask for the band to have a "similiar song" YOU said to "re-release a new version of Civil War". Stay on YOUR Topic.
Yeah,Axl wrote about it and YOU said he should DO IT AGAIN,making it a DUMB Topic.? Still with the class Ed?

If you meant he should write a new song with a new title,regarding the current situation in Iraq,then that's different. It's just stupid to say "They should put out an new version of Civil War!"

So instead of holding elections,you wanna have them replace Saddam with what? A basic copy? Another dictator? It's official,you ARE retarded,Ed. Thank you for clarifying.?

And for playing along.? Johnny,what do we have for him? Oh,it's a year supply of turtle wax. Sorry Ed!? no Cry? Wah-wah-waaaaaahh!

? ? ? ? ?Hahahaha!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? MATT

JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #378 on: November 28, 2006, 01:45:47 AM »

MATT A REAL FAN-

Thank you for explaining why the old "Civil War" or a new similar song would be perfect for the new album... to wake people up.? ok

I don't feel the need to address personal attacks 'cause I've been around the block.? smoking

? ? Been around the block,have ya?? Well,that changes everything. You must be a big shot!? nervous? Where are my manners?!?

You didn't ask for the band to have a "similiar song" YOU said to "re-release a new version of Civil War". Stay on YOUR Topic.
Yeah,Axl wrote about it and YOU said he should DO IT AGAIN,making it a DUMB Topic.? Still with the class Ed?

If you meant he should write a new song with a new title,regarding the current situation in Iraq,then that's different. It's just stupid to say "They should put out an new version of Civil War!"

So instead of holding elections,you wanna have them replace Saddam with what? A basic copy? Another dictator? It's official,you ARE retarded,Ed. Thank you for clarifying.?

And for playing along.? Johnny,what do we have for him? Oh,it's a year supply of turtle wax. Sorry Ed!? no Cry? Wah-wah-waaaaaahh!

? ? ? ? ?Hahahaha!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? MATT

Settle down bud.  You don't have to agree with him, but there is no need for personal attacks.  No one will see your point if you flood your post with name calling. I didn't agree with him either, but our conversation was civil and we actually found something we agreed on.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #379 on: November 28, 2006, 02:09:14 AM »

MATT A REAL FAN-

I still don't see your point in re-releasing it. If someone wants to cheer on the sentiments of a song that was released 15 years ago, then get the cd out and listen to it yourself.

If you're against America winning in Iraq, that's entirely up to you. But, if Axl were to do something so stupid, like re-release a 15 year old song to express discontent with the war, I know I'd never spend another dime on anything GNR related.

And, like I said in my first post, Civil War is part of the rotation on many rock stations. If you just want it out there for others to hear, call in and request it.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: