Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 07:38:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  First Single (What should it be + RUMOR)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Single (What should it be + RUMOR)  (Read 56399 times)
Cleopatra2U
Rocker

I might be too much but honey you're a bit obscene

« Reply #300 on: October 02, 2006, 08:48:49 PM »

I too think the first single should be a rocker, followed by a ballad.? That is the formula that has worked for GNR and many other bands in the past.

I haven't heard that many new tracks -- only "Better", "The Blues", "IRS", "Madagascar", and "There Was a Time".? Of these five, I like "Better" the most by far.? I also think it's the most rockin', and the most like the old GNR while still showing musical progression.

While it's possible there is an as-yet-unleashed rocker that is better than "Better", I think it would behoove GNR to release a track that some people have already heard.? Not only will die-hard fans scoop it up, I think casual listeners -- friends and family of die-hards who have been dragged to concerts and forced to watch grainy videos and listen to MP3's of questionable quality -- will recognize it, think to themselves, "Hey, it's that song," and scoop it up as well.? With the song now cranking from a good number of car stereos and portable listening devices, the public at large will not be able to resist.

So, add me to the list of folks who are picking "Better".

As far as "Better" not being radio-friendly...? Well...? Let's face it...? Hard rock in general has not exactly been radio-friendly for quite some time.? But GNR is gonna change that.? Soon.? I can feel it.

Reinaldo
Rocker

"O.K., Nevermind!"

« Reply #301 on: October 02, 2006, 09:31:14 PM »

1st single: Unheard killer rocker (The General / CheckMate / Prostitute) reintroduces GNR to the world

2nd: Better - shows how fuckin good this band can play (and write - that's a Robin song)

3rd: Ballad (Blues or This I Love) - Power ballads to remind people of the good old Patience, NR, etc times.

4th: Other rocker

5th: Other ballad

6th: TWAT - mini epic to close CD era and start the 2nd album.

Remember, on 2002 (ok it might have changed) Axl said he didn't consider to release Blues, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy nor Rhiad as singles (new songs GNR had played so far at that time). He was saving the big guns.

RIR 2001 - Porto Alegre 2010 - RIR 2011 - Rio de Janeiro 2014 & 2016 - RIR 2022
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #302 on: October 02, 2006, 10:20:44 PM »

If I can only pick from the songs we have heard I pick Better. But who knows about the ones we have not heard yet.  drool Only time will tell and I can wait since I did this long.   

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #303 on: October 02, 2006, 10:23:28 PM »

Better, Madagascar and the two that we haven't heard.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #304 on: October 02, 2006, 10:29:33 PM »

The first single had better be something we haven't heard yet, otherwise this project is sunk. The new songs are solid for the most part, but the first thing everyone is going to think when they hear a new GNR single on the radio is "was it worth the wait". Nothing we have heard thus far is going to pass that kind of litmus test, not that anything would. They just need to release the absolute best song they have recorded as the first single and go from there.

Better seems to be everyone around here's choice, but I think the intro is a little too weird with the industrial sounding guitar and Axl's voice for that to be a viable first single. The body of the song is stellar, but it took me a bunch of listens to get past the beginning of the song. However, not everyone is going to listen to it a bunch of times like fan-boys and force themselves to like the way many around here do.

While now it seems nothing we've heard passes your litmus test, I have to say that before this year, the ONLY new tune I heard live that I really liked was Maddy. When I heard Better I was blown away - completely. I agree with you that the intro is very weird and not easy to adapt to for the average fan, but the rest speaks for itself.

The first song will not be aimed at fans like us - he's got us aboard the ship already - the first single will be aimed at the casual rock fan - older ones who maybe loved GNR back in the day or newer ones that only know the hits, I think this is  how it's gonna go down. It's gonna be a Piano-driven tune like Estranged maybe, but with heavy guitars to give the best of both worlds.? When people hear the voice with the piano they're immediately gone be reminded of NR type of stuff, but if the single has the power of the Better guitars, then that my friends is something not even sniffed on radio today
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 10:31:12 PM by COMAMOTIVE » Logged
crayallica
Headliner

« Reply #305 on: October 02, 2006, 10:34:00 PM »

Better drops next week, obvious first single.

Album comes out November 21st, the Tuesday before "black Friday" of the Holiday shopping season.

age 37....volume always at 10
GeraldFord
« Reply #306 on: October 02, 2006, 10:45:51 PM »

Better drops next week, obvious first single.

Album comes out November 21st, the Tuesday before "black Friday" of the Holiday shopping season.

And you heard this where?....

I think "Better" is THE song (from what we've heard). As for the intro, it's only about 15 seconds. Maybe if the single released for radio didn't have the Axl vocals (just the intro) it would seem less "weird."
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #307 on: October 03, 2006, 01:10:32 AM »

better

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
highend88
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #308 on: October 03, 2006, 02:08:53 AM »

Someone post this link earlier in other thread.
Check this out. It has June 2000 release date for This I Love
So maybe...maybe

http://members.aol.com/hkpwnetd/disc.html

I get up around seven
Get outta bed around nine
And I don't worry about nothin' no
'Cause worrin's a waste of my fuckin time
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #309 on: October 03, 2006, 02:16:28 AM »

I'm thinking either I.R.S, Better or something we haven't heard yet.  Dunno about the chart position... I don't see anything they release selling as greatly as some people expect.

It won't be IRS.....I like the song but it IS a B-side song....and they know it......again, it WON'T be IRS.....

I'm interested in why everyone says IRS is a b-side. Is it more or less of a B-side than a song like yesterdays? just wondering what everyone thinks.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #310 on: October 03, 2006, 02:43:18 AM »

you have to release a hard rockin song first, then a ballad....madagascar would probably fall into the ballad category more than a hard rocker,,although i think it is one of the best gnr songs i have ever heard...i think a safe bet would be irs or better...
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #311 on: October 03, 2006, 09:51:16 AM »

I'm thinking either I.R.S, Better or something we haven't heard yet.? Dunno about the chart position... I don't see anything they release selling as greatly as some people expect.

It won't be IRS.....I like the song but it IS a B-side song....and they know it......again, it WON'T be IRS.....

I'm interested in why everyone says IRS is a b-side. Is it more or less of a B-side than a song like yesterdays? just wondering what everyone thinks.

I think IRS is one of the better songs I've heard in awhile from anyone - The guitars sound like Zeppelin, the Vocals are intense - B-Side?  I'd love to see what the A-Side is!
Ak1nney
Rocker

« Reply #312 on: October 03, 2006, 10:35:03 AM »

I honestly think, out of what we have heard, it's obvious that Better would be it. It's  a really hard rocking song and has those awesome melodies from the guitar man Robin. I think it satisfies guitar people with the cool solos, and it also satisfies the heavy people with the rythm riffs.

On another note, I am goin to be horribly saddened if the last solo when Axl goes All the i wanted was ... is changed at all, cause I just love that part.
fixintodie
« Reply #313 on: October 03, 2006, 10:38:31 AM »

On another note, I am goin to be horribly saddened if the last solo when Axl goes All the i wanted was ... is changed at all, cause I just love that part.

Agreed - i think that part works so well, though it is likely the kind of thing they'd edit in a radio version. I pointed that part out to my gf pretty much everytime we hear it - 'here it comes!'
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #314 on: October 03, 2006, 10:41:13 AM »

I have the feeling that Better will be the one and I think IT'S COMING SOON!!!!

"...It don't really matter..."
codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #315 on: October 03, 2006, 11:10:37 AM »

..does there have to be a single? ..there could just be an album.. . ..if there is to be a single, guess it'll be one of the new tracks from the live set list, Better or IRS? peace

.if there is to be a single, a cool video would be a good thing. a bunch of clips from live shows would be a lazy thing to do... ..? .

codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #316 on: October 03, 2006, 11:11:52 AM »

I have the feeling that Better will be the one and I think IT'S COMING SOON!!!!

Soon is not a word i would use with Gn'R. Someday would be closer   hihi
welshrose
Banned
Rocker

Neil Young es Dios.

« Reply #317 on: October 03, 2006, 11:41:46 AM »

If Better is released we are all fucked. IMO

The chorus is just flat and lame. It sounds too modern like its trying to fit into a genre.

Anything but Better.

Girl I am just a Vampire for your love

And I'm gonna suck ya!!
BluesGNR
The Liberator
Legend

Here Today... Out for Lunch

« Reply #318 on: October 03, 2006, 11:47:16 AM »

..does there have to be a single? ..there could just be an album.. . ..if there is to be a single, guess it'll be one of the new tracks from the live set list, Better or IRS? peace

.if there is to be a single, a cool video would be a good thing. a bunch of clips from live shows would be a lazy thing to do... ..? .

Doubtful that there would be no single.  You need to have something on the radiostations and Axl said a few years ago that the single would be a big gun, not something we've already heard.. granted, that was a few years ago.  who knows.. but I'd put money on there being a single
 peace

You'll Find Your Inspiration GN'F'nR

2002: 12.6&8
2006: 5.12&14&15&17 11.5&10&13&24
2011: 11.15 12.10
2012: 2.19&24 11.17
2014: 5.13&28&30
2016: 4.1&8&9 6.23 7.1&3. 8.9&12
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #319 on: October 03, 2006, 12:00:16 PM »

..does there have to be a single? ..there could just be an album.. . ..if there is to be a single, guess it'll be one of the new tracks from the live set list, Better or IRS  peace

.if there is to be a single, a cool video would be a good thing. a bunch of clips from live shows would be a lazy thing to do... ..  .

Doubtful that there would be no single.  You need to have something on the radiostations and Axl said a few years ago that the single would be a big gun, not something we've already heard.. granted, that was a few years ago.  who knows.. but I'd put money on there being a single
 peace

I really think it's gonna be one of the leaks first. Most likely Better. Can't help but think that. I'm thinking more about longevity these days. I really hope there's 4 or more singles off this LP.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: