Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 03:26:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  I'm debating whether I should buy a Wii console...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm debating whether I should buy a Wii console...  (Read 17387 times)
HamsterDemocracy
« on: November 03, 2006, 09:24:07 PM »

...just for Zelda: The Twilight Princess.

Game looks awesome. The Wii is $299 and the game will be about $50. I'm thinking of just buying it for the game alone and then shelving the thing. Problem is I also want an XBox and I probably wouldn't be able to afford both. But I really want to play the new Zelda. The developers said it is "by far" the best Zelda game ever, and Ocarina of Time is still amazing.
Kid A
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 09:37:28 PM »

Get it.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 09:58:27 AM »

Are you not in the US?

If you are...the Wii is 249, not 299.? The game will run 49.99. 

From what I've seen and heard....there WILL be other stuff on the system you'll want to play (Mario Galaxy, Metroid: Corruption, etc) so I'd say go for it.? I'm going to.? I'm still skeptical about the controller, etc, but...I think it's worth the gamble.

And, you could always sell the system on Ebay once you've finished Zelda, if you want, and put the $$ toward that 360.? You might "lose" 50 bucks or so (assuming Nintendo is right and Wii's are plentiful..otherwise you might make money if you keep the original packaging, etc) on the deal, but...that's not TOO bad, all things considered.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 05:35:35 PM »

I'll prolly buy a wii eventually, but luckily I bought a gamecube just for the last zelda and Twilight Princess is coming out on that too so I'm happy I dont have to buy yet another console for just one game.? smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Dirty Little Thing
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 07:22:08 PM »

WELL... The Wii is only $250.  Grin If you only want it for Zelda... then I'd reccomend buying an Xbox 360 instead because there are a ton of great games on that system(Gears Of War was just released today and I haven't played it but It's one of the reasons i bought the console back in january  hihi)

I also want a Wii... mainly for Zelda... but there are so many 360 games I want that I'm not sure which to get.  Huh
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 12:38:32 PM »

Got my Wii this morning....

Together again,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 10:14:15 PM »

Buy it, beat Zelda and then put it on Ebay

I think the Wii is worth buying just for the NES,SNES,N64 and Sega Genesis downloadable games.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 10:37:14 PM »

After you've played it awhile, give us your review of the console. Like you, I am really skeptical about that controller. It looks terrible. I cant imagine having to stand in front of the tv waving the controller around to play games.

One thing I hate about Nintendo is how they always cater to little kids. Each time they say theyre not going to, but they do.

My cousin is getting one of these for Christmas, so I guess I'll play it then. I havent been a hardcore gamer since XBOX. I've been considering buying a 360 though, if anything just to play the new Splinter Cell and Hitman.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 02:21:53 AM »

I would get it. The nintendos have always been worth it for the zelda mario and metroid games alone. I don't like the look of the controller but you can buy a classic controller for it.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 08:49:04 AM »

After you've played it awhile, give us your review of the console. Like you, I am really skeptical about that controller. It looks terrible. I cant imagine having to stand in front of the tv waving the controller around to play games.

One thing I hate about Nintendo is how they always cater to little kids. Each time they say theyre not going to, but they do.

My cousin is getting one of these for Christmas, so I guess I'll play it then. I havent been a hardcore gamer since XBOX. I've been considering buying a 360 though, if anything just to play the new Splinter Cell and Hitman.

Well.....here's the thing.

It's a christmas present, to me, from my wife and kids.  I'm not sure if they are going to (well, if my wife is going to) cave and let me play before X-mas day....and really, that's OK with me.  With young kids and all, X-mas is a huge deal at our house.

That being said, I have played the console.  Our gamestop had one set up with Excite truck.  I found it a pretty quick learning curve to use the controller.  In addition. your movements don't HAVE to be nearly as exagerated as the ones you see on TV.  They can be (it's a blast when playing with a couple of people and you "get into it" pretty quick), but they can also be simple wrist flicks and screen points. 

I'm not sure I would recommend the Wii as your "main" console. It's got some awesome stuff coming up (Metroid, Mario Galaxy, etc), and the ability to buy, on the cheap, old NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, and Turbografx games is, to me, a HUGE plus (those are games I played when I was younger, so....on nostalgia alone).  AND it's 100% compatible with my old Gamecube games.   But I just can't see past the ole' Nintendo curse (where it's primarily few and far between 1st party games that are worth buying).  Add that together with a relatively inexpensive price tag, and it's certainly worht a purchase, IMHO (obviously, because I bought it!).

I have an Xbox 360.  That will be my "main" console, I think.  Most of the games I buy will be for that....but the Wii is a GREAT choice, IMHO, for your "2nd console".  Certainly a better choice than the PS3, for those of us that already own a 360.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 06:37:08 PM »

Well.....here's the thing.

It's a christmas present, to me, from my wife and kids.  I'm not sure if they are going to (well, if my wife is going to) cave and let me play before X-mas day....and really, that's OK with me.  With young kids and all, X-mas is a huge deal at our house.

That being said, I have played the console.  Our gamestop had one set up with Excite truck.  I found it a pretty quick learning curve to use the controller.  In addition. your movements don't HAVE to be nearly as exagerated as the ones you see on TV.  They can be (it's a blast when playing with a couple of people and you "get into it" pretty quick), but they can also be simple wrist flicks and screen points. 

I'm not sure I would recommend the Wii as your "main" console. It's got some awesome stuff coming up (Metroid, Mario Galaxy, etc), and the ability to buy, on the cheap, old NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, and Turbografx games is, to me, a HUGE plus (those are games I played when I was younger, so....on nostalgia alone).  AND it's 100% compatible with my old Gamecube games.   But I just can't see past the ole' Nintendo curse (where it's primarily few and far between 1st party games that are worth buying).  Add that together with a relatively inexpensive price tag, and it's certainly worht a purchase, IMHO (obviously, because I bought it!).

I have an Xbox 360.  That will be my "main" console, I think.  Most of the games I buy will be for that....but the Wii is a GREAT choice, IMHO, for your "2nd console".  Certainly a better choice than the PS3, for those of us that already own a 360.

Do you know what its gonna cost to play the games from the older systems on this?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 06:54:20 PM »

Do you know what its gonna cost to play the games from the older systems on this?

Everything, like microsoft, is done via points.  It works out to a penny a point.  I'm going to give you both costs for MOST games (they could choose to charge a premium, I suppose, on certain games...who knows):

$5 (500 points) NES games

$8 (800 points) SNES and Genesis games

$10 (1000 points) N64 games.

Not sure on the Turbografx games...I think they're in the $8 range, but not sure as I haven't heard of any up on the Wii shopping channel yet.  I'm looking forward to "Bonks Adventure" so.....

You download the games to either the internal memory card or an inserted SD card...and they are yours forever.

Oh, and it has 100% (it claims) Gamecube compatibility.  Just insert a disk, plug in either the "virtual controller" (extra) or a gamecube controller (slots on the top/side of the Wii) and you're ready to go.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 07:24:32 PM »

Everything, like microsoft, is done via points.  It works out to a penny a point.  I'm going to give you both costs for MOST games (they could choose to charge a premium, I suppose, on certain games...who knows):

$5 (500 points) NES games

$8 (800 points) SNES and Genesis games

$10 (1000 points) N64 games.

Not sure on the Turbografx games...I think they're in the $8 range, but not sure as I haven't heard of any up on the Wii shopping channel yet.  I'm looking forward to "Bonks Adventure" so.....

You download the games to either the internal memory card or an inserted SD card...and they are yours forever.

Oh, and it has 100% (it claims) Gamecube compatibility.  Just insert a disk, plug in either the "virtual controller" (extra) or a gamecube controller (slots on the top/side of the Wii) and you're ready to go.

Very reasonable prices for the entire back catalog of nes snes and n64. I don't really care about the turbografx i didn't really like that system. I wonder if they might ever add gamecube games to the channel of those who don't have the physical discs.
JohnMorrison73
Banned
VIP

CRIME SCENE SLUNK

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 07:46:06 PM »

yeah dude im a HUGE zelda fan!!  peace
but i dont think i will get it just for that game..

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 10:21:18 PM »

yeah dude im a HUGE zelda fan!!  peace

I think mario galaxy and the new metroid will also make it worth it.
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 01:57:41 AM »

yeah dude im a HUGE zelda fan!! peace

Ya i agree only because I can buy the new Zelda on gamecube come dec 12th if not sooner.? smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 08:03:39 AM »

Very reasonable prices for the entire back catalog of nes snes and n64. I don't really care about the turbografx i didn't really like that system. I wonder if they might ever add gamecube games to the channel of those who don't have the physical discs.

I just read on another site that the Turbografx games will start at $6 (600 pts)...but that some of the CD titles will be $8 (800 pts).  While the system was not my favorite, either, it did have some worthwhile titles like "Bonks Adventure" and "Y's"....as well as some other hidden gems.

On the Gamecube thing...probably not.  Mostly because the sheer size might not make them really viable for download.  At least not at the Wi-Fi speeds that the Wii is capable of.  Possibly if they could institute some sort of compression or something.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 07:49:07 PM »

I just read on another site that the Turbografx games will start at $6 (600 pts)...but that some of the CD titles will be $8 (800 pts).  While the system was not my favorite, either, it did have some worthwhile titles like "Bonks Adventure" and "Y's"....as well as some other hidden gems.

On the Gamecube thing...probably not.  Mostly because the sheer size might not make them really viable for download.  At least not at the Wi-Fi speeds that the Wii is capable of.  Possibly if they could institute some sort of compression or something.

Thats true i didn't think about that.  I'm sure people who don't own a gamecube could probably pick the games up used pretty cheap to play them on the wii.
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 11:45:04 PM »

who cares?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 12:13:03 AM »

who cares?

and that adds what to the conversation? if you don't care about it why bother posting in the thread?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: