Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 09:28:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Heard something (partially) odd on Sirius Radio today...(RUMORED CD DATE!)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heard something (partially) odd on Sirius Radio today...(RUMORED CD DATE!)  (Read 46254 times)
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2006, 08:57:34 PM »

I'm really starting to believe that Nov. 21st will be the day. Why?? Because it's the day that has been denied by management. Everyone here is excluding it from possible dates ALL THE TIME and wouldn't that be what GNR'S management would want us to do??  Why did management jump on Nov. 21st to rule it out and not any of the other dates that have been posted?? Why would they choose only that one??  It's like reverse psychology almost. Now they have all of us believe that the 21st isn't even possible, when realistically it could very well be the date. Who cares what else comes out that day?? That's my opinion and if it happens, I will laugh at how we all fell for it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 09:03:29 PM by lennonisgod » Logged

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2006, 08:58:44 PM »

What I don't understand is why would Axl release GNR's big comeback album with no promotion? It just doesn't make any sense.

Going by what we aren't allowed to talk about, and a certain ad getting pushed back, things popping up that weren't supposed to at this time, I'd say something is getting ready to happen, but I don't think its Chinese Democracy. CD isn't just going to drop out of the blue. There will be promotion, common sense suggest. But I'd be happy with an announcement and/or a single.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2006, 09:51:16 PM »

I just don't understand the reasoning behind NOT giving us a clue about the release.  Nov 21 or December 5...the dates I've always thought to go down.
ben9785
« Reply #163 on: November 01, 2006, 09:54:48 PM »

I just don't understand the reasoning behind NOT giving us a clue about the release.  Nov 21 or December 5...the dates I've always thought to go down.
Hmmm..I don't think, for the most part, a majority of people understand the reasoning behind some of their decisions.. Just have to try to accept it as best as possible and wait it out I guess..  Undecided
Cleopatra2U
Rocker

I might be too much but honey you're a bit obscene

« Reply #164 on: November 01, 2006, 10:17:59 PM »

What I don't understand is why would Axl release GNR's big comeback album with no promotion? It just doesn't make any sense.

An album doesn't necessarily have to be released with pre-promotion.  This album could drop on any given Tuesday and then be followed by promotion.  The tour is already happening; the tour can be used to promote the album as well as vice-versa.

I just don't understand the reasoning behind NOT giving us a clue about the release.? Nov 21 or December 5...the dates I've always thought to go down.

While I don't like the fact that no official release date has been given, I can understand why there hasn't (see above).
unbearable
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #165 on: November 01, 2006, 11:01:37 PM »

i think droppimg the album with no promotion is a great idea.with cd sales dwindling,its something different and prevents illegal downloads.it might start a new trend in music.artist dont make nearly what they used to with the internet now and by just releasing it it sets up a whole impulse buying thing.it will be way more exciting to just hear on the radio "Hey,by the way,g n r new cd is out today...loving the mystery built around release.
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #166 on: November 01, 2006, 11:02:17 PM »

Does anyone remember hearing anything about November 7th specifically as a possible release date before Sirius DJ's started mentioning it in the last day or so? ?I don't. ?It's odd that this would be rumored to be the date. ?Where would they come up with it? ?Message board rumor? ?Odd that we the superfans hav'nt heard it before Sirius DJ's started talking about it so much.

I don't find it ?odd because they probably just pulled the date out of their butt. Every single Tuesday is likely going to be singled out in a rumor since there are only so many left in November. Someone is bound to be right if it is indeed released this year. Not to mention this date would have been leaked by now. There would be plenty of music store employees that would be aware that CD would be hitting theirselves next Tuesday. It's not like it would just magically appear on the shelves with no one knowing a thing about it. Plenty of people would know and there is nothing to keep them from talking.

Yeah. ?Because normally he's so rational.

He might not do things by the book but would Universal be willing to release it with no promotion? Doubtful.

An album doesn't necessarily have to be released with pre-promotion. ?This album could drop on any given Tuesday and then be followed by promotion. ?The tour is already happening; the tour can be used to promote the album as well as vice-versa.

Except that would be a terrible business strategy. How many people outside of the diehards would be willing to rush out and buy an album they don't know a thing about? Not many. They would be a lot more likely to download it.
Cleopatra2U
Rocker

I might be too much but honey you're a bit obscene

« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2006, 11:33:28 PM »

An album doesn't necessarily have to be released with pre-promotion. ?This album could drop on any given Tuesday and then be followed by promotion. ?The tour is already happening; the tour can be used to promote the album as well as vice-versa.

Except that would be a terrible business strategy. How many people outside of the diehards would be willing to rush out and buy an album they don't know a thing about? Not many. They would be a lot more likely to download it.

They might not know a thing about it beforehand, but they could learn about it through after-release promotion.

A sale is a sale.? Does it really matter whether it's in the first week of release, or in the weeks after?

I realize that GNR is in a much different place than they were when AFD was released, but AFD didn't exactly burn up the charts when it first came out...? And years later, it is still one of the best-selling CD's of all time.

As far as the downloading, there are those who download and there are those who buy.? The downloaders are not likely to change their ways just for CD.? By the same token, neither are the buyers.? (BTW, studies that I am too tired and lazy to look up and reference right now show that most people still buy music; downloaders are still the minority.)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #168 on: November 01, 2006, 11:37:47 PM »

One of these days someone is gonna get it right.

Let's just hope its soon......

I have a hard time believing this. If true, it will leak within a matter of days. Maybe even hours.

WeHeldTogether
« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2006, 11:40:27 PM »

I've been thinking about this many a lonesome, tiring night lying in bed listening to the demos/live songs we've heard.

I think 11/21 is most likely going to be the date we get our mothafuckin hands on the album.(The "mothafuckin" is added for extra excitement, because our hands are getting the album yay).  Management has NOT denied any other dates to my knowledge yet.  Merck/whoever else is running the show here says "Gasp!  They figured out the date!  Let's blatantly deny it to increase suspense!"(exaggeration of course) and we all know how Axl wants us to expect the unexpected and be suspenseful.

it could come out any given tuesday, but 11/21 just might be thd date.
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2006, 11:51:55 PM »

They might not know a thing about it beforehand, but they could learn about it through after-release promotion.

A sale is a sale.? Does it really matter whether it's in the first week of release, or in the weeks after?

I realize that GNR is in a much different place than they were when AFD was released, but AFD didn't exactly burn up the charts when it first came out...? And years later, it is still one of the best-selling CD's of all time.

As far as the downloading, there are those who download and there are those who buy.? The downloaders are not likely to change their ways just for CD.? By the same token, neither are the buyers.? (BTW, studies that I am too tired and lazy to look up and reference right now show that most people still buy music; downloaders are still the minority.)

No, it doesn't matter when its sold, but generally the first week sales are the largest. Yes, it's true that they could generate interest but they need a lot of steam behind this album and it's hard to do so by putting it on the shelves with no sort of promotion. The average person isn't going to run to the store to pay for something they know nothing about. They are going to sit at home and wait until they get an idea about this album. Which means they will turn to downloading. That very will likely cost them a lot of sales because not everyone is going to decide to buy it after they just got it for free. It's a risky move because if this album doesn't go over well with the general public then they could end up with less sales than if they hyped the crap out of it.

Universal shelled out a pretty penny for this album. They are going to want to generate as many sales as possible. They aren't going to approve of anything that would make it more difficult for them to get a return on their investment.
parisrocks
« Reply #171 on: November 02, 2006, 12:00:28 AM »

They may not be heavy promo because they're already 13 million+ into the disc. 
I say a video/single, then CD release immediately after one another.
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2006, 12:01:38 AM »

Just dropping the album would make sense if the GnR family aren't bothered about it going to No1 in the first week of release. ?Having spent $13m on the thing, a second week number 1 without the costly hype from within wouldn't be a bad thing.

Also on the basis that with a pre-release marketing campaign the GnR camp would have to send copies for review, do they trust the press etc to give a favourable critique. It isn't beyond the realms of logic that a series of 3 out of 5 marks would be given, based on the fact that at $1m per annum to produce, they (the media) would have expected more than whats been released.

The no notice drop would leave the fans to generate the sales, making it difficult to give negitive press when in week 2 its selling big numbers.

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #173 on: November 02, 2006, 12:15:18 AM »

A sale is a sale.  Does it really matter whether it's in the first week of release, or in the weeks after?

I realize that GNR is in a much different place than they were when AFD was released, but AFD didn't exactly burn up the charts when it first came out...  And years later, it is still one of the best-selling CD's of all time.

As far as the downloading, there are those who download and there are those who buy.  The downloaders are not likely to change their ways just for CD.  By the same token, neither are the buyers.  (BTW, studies that I am too tired and lazy to look up and reference right now show that most people still buy music; downloaders are still the minority.)

No, it doesn't matter when its sold, but generally the first week sales are the largest. Yes, it's true that they could generate interest but they need a lot of steam behind this album and it's hard to do so by putting it on the shelves with no sort of promotion. The average person isn't going to run to the store to pay for something they know nothing about. They are going to sit at home and wait until they get an idea about this album. Which means they will turn to downloading. That very will likely cost them a lot of sales because not everyone is going to decide to buy it after they just got it for free. It's a risky move because if this album doesn't go over well with the general public then they could end up with less sales than if they hyped the crap out of it.

Universal shelled out a pretty penny for this album. They are going to want to generate as many sales as possible. They aren't going to approve of anything that would make it more difficult for them to get a return on their investment.

Hasn't Axl said there's nearly 3 albums worth of material? So that $13 million everyone keeps bitching about isn't necessarily just for the one album. Still, they've spent a little over $5 million on Chinese D. alone if we're dividing it up among 2.5 albums. That's still a huge number. LOL. I don't know what they'll do, but at this point I've learned not to get too excited about anything.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #174 on: November 02, 2006, 12:22:09 AM »

It's almost the last line of hope for this year.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #175 on: November 02, 2006, 12:47:31 AM »

I was told by a friend of mine who works for Virgin that Nov. 7th is very last day a new album for 2006 can be scheduled for a release.  This  has to do with the fact the label needs to reserve space at a pressing plant and reserve space for shipping.  There are thousands of CDs printed every month and pressing time usually books up 6 weeks in advance.  I have asked her whether she's heard news around her office about the new GNR album...she's heard pretty much the same things we've heard..."this year, this year."  But she highly doubts it will come out until the summer.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
diablo280273
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #176 on: November 02, 2006, 07:01:56 AM »

If the album has to go to the top of the charts right away, everything else will be considered a failure, and will put this album in a very negative downward stream. Comon' sense would be a huge promotion by the record company. and i probably think they will demand that from the band.

Then again, the last 6 years the GnR name has been a poor and sad victem of total mismanagement so nothing is sure with this band. Undecided
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #177 on: November 02, 2006, 08:21:40 AM »

The fact that this thread exists points to it being not true.

yeah jarmo would have prolly deleted this thread if it was true

Considering it's clearly stated as a rumor and it's not linking to anything the band doesn't really want you to see...I doubt he would.

It's not like anyones claimed to have word from someone IN management or at the label what the date is.  This thread is simply the discussion of a rumor...and that's it.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2006, 08:23:56 AM »

I'm on the road all day and listen to Sirius.? I've got Guns N' Roses programmed so that whenever they play GNR, I'm notified.? Seems to me that they're playing GNR a lot more than they were a month ago.? Just today, I was on the road only 3 hours and heard GNR played at least 5 times (Hair of the Dog X 2, Patience, Mr. Brownstone, Jungle).? Not sure if anyone else has noticed this.? Unfortunately, I keep on missing anything being reported on Sirius 'cause by the time I'm notified about GNR being played, the DJ is just finishing whatever thought they have on the band.? Even if November 7th isn't the date (which seems unbelievable), it's still good to hear GNR a lot on the radio.

Cheers,

Andrew

Yeah, I've noticed over the past month an increase of GnR songs (and deeper cuts off the albums...I heard freaking "Coma" the other day and almost swerved off the road).  I'm not sure if that's because they know something's coming or just because they've become more "visible" and higher profile lately so the stations are capitilizing on that.

Either way I think it's a good sign.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2006, 08:25:53 AM »

I'm not stating my opinion as fact...

I'm not trying to bust your balls, but....that's exactly what you're doing.  Because you don't have definitive proof from anyone that you're right.  The opinion might be well founded on common sense, history, etc, etc...but it's still opinion.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: