Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 02:59:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If CD is coming this year, wouldn't they have had to start manufactoring it?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If CD is coming this year, wouldn't they have had to start manufactoring it?  (Read 13094 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2006, 07:52:35 AM »

I previously worked within the CD/DVD manufacturing industry. If a new release, which was being kept underwraps was scheduled for pressing, the record company would give us an alias for the title and artist. Example: Artist: The rifle tootin florists. Title: Red Ruling. ? ?

Although when the artwork, glass mastering takes places everyone would know who the artist was. The printed booklets/inlays would be printed and supplied in 5 working days, the CD the same time to master, duplicate, and print the face. It would then only take the time to fulfil the jewel case. The whole process from reciept of the master to distribution could be done in 7 days if capacity had been pre-booked.

It still could be underwraps for a November release. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for this. ?I was going to comment but everything you said is spot on.....

You can manny a CD is about 7 to 10 days, so long as you've booked the time with the pressing plant in advance.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2006, 07:58:08 AM »

Axl is burning copies of CD one by one on his computer.? Then he's printing out the artwork one by one using Microsoft Paint.? When he gets to a million, he'll let you know!

So that's why it's taken 13 years. That's why the first two gigs of this tour were cancelled. He hadn't finished yet. Or maybe its not Axl. Maybe that's Chris Pittman's job. Under the guise of a second keyboardist. I knew something was up with that guy.

Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2006, 08:06:42 AM »

I previously worked within the CD/DVD manufacturing industry. If a new release, which was being kept underwraps was scheduled for pressing, the record company would give us an alias for the title and artist. Example: Artist: The rifle tootin florists. Title: Red Ruling.   

Although when the artwork, glass mastering takes places everyone would know who the artist was. The printed booklets/inlays would be printed and supplied in 5 working days, the CD the same time to master, duplicate, and print the face. It would then only take the time to fulfil the jewel case. The whole process from reciept of the master to distribution could be done in 7 days if capacity had been pre-booked.

Thanks for the info. Makes 100% sense. Here's hopin for a November release then  beer
grover
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2006, 08:41:54 AM »

I really hope that we have at least SOME notice as to the release date, and CD doesn't just show up in a store some Tuesday morning without me knowing it.

Back when UYI I & II were released, they had the midnight release party, and I got there at 10:30pm, and still had to stand in a line 200 people long.

After waiting so long, I have told my wife that NO MATTER WHAT, I will be one of those who has CD in his hands within an hour of the official release.  I only hope that I KNOW when that will be.  I am sure if they do announce a date, that all the media stores will have a special event to release it.
kriss_boy
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2006, 08:47:27 AM »

I previously worked within the CD/DVD manufacturing industry. If a new release, which was being kept underwraps was scheduled for pressing, the record company would give us an alias for the title and artist. Example: Artist: The rifle tootin florists. Title: Red Ruling.? ?

Excellent info.

1 question tho.. how often was this the case? How many records per year wer given alias titles and can you remember the artists they the CDs turned out to be from.

My point being would the employees but curious as to the identity of the CD in question or are they handling so many of these types of Cds that they wouldnt care who the real artist was.
meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2006, 09:02:05 AM »

In large companies, most Account Managers would have specific clients to deal with. As a senior member of the company I dealt with larger clients such as EMI and Sony. Although the relationship I had with my clients was that 95% of the time with new releases they would tell me the artist info etc... Although if it were for a large release this would have required the client to pre-book capacity, which meant having to raise an advanced purchase order. In that situation they would give us a false name.

It was kind of a game to work out who the artist was. Like I said, these orders are produced so quickly it never really caused a problem. Although I am pretty sure copies were taken by staff prior to their official release.

Keep em under your wheels.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2006, 09:08:10 AM »

I previously worked within the CD/DVD manufacturing industry. If a new release, which was being kept underwraps was scheduled for pressing, the record company would give us an alias for the title and artist. Example: Artist: The rifle tootin florists. Title: Red Ruling.   

Excellent info.

1 question tho.. how often was this the case? How many records per year wer given alias titles and can you remember the artists they the CDs turned out to be from.

My point being would the employees but curious as to the identity of the CD in question or are they handling so many of these types of Cds that they wouldnt care who the real artist was.

I;m not saying you're wrong, but I would like to point something out. I think alot of people forget that many people that work in those type of industries don't really care what they're doing.

Some might, but alot of them just go in, work their job and don't pay attention to what they're working on. Let alone the chances of one of them being a member at a place like this where they'd be able to share the info.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
bangit
Rocker

Here Today..been on mygnr for past few years.

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2006, 09:10:42 AM »

Surely a worldwide release would require a coordinated pressing process to take place at certain major distribution plants around the world, america, europe asia etc.... austrailia. I mean, cd wouldnt just be pressed in one place and shipped all over the world from there would it???

Rock in Rio Lisbon 2006, Download Dublin 2006, Sheffield 2006, Helsinki Live festival 2010, Leeds Festival 2010, Manchester 2010! 6 fucking amazing experiences! Where in 2012?Huh?
sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2006, 09:12:19 AM »

Surely a worldwide release would require a coordinated pressing process to take place at certain major distribution plants around the world, america, europe asia etc.... austrailia. I mean, cd wouldnt just be pressed in one place and shipped all over the world from there would it???

In this case I think it would, it greatly reduces the risk of bieng leaked.

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2006, 09:15:20 AM »

Axl is burning copies of CD one by one on his computer. ?Then he's printing out the artwork one by one using Microsoft Paint. ?When he gets to a million, he'll let you know!

That can't be right, he's on tour and would have to leave the stage during shows to load the printer or change cartridges ?Lips Sealed

bet we have to wait 2 hours at the counter to get served when this beauty finally drops..... rofl

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2006, 09:17:41 AM »

You are correct, there would be at least 10 pressing plants working towards meeting the same worldwide production schedule. Although some larger plants can manufacture and pack 6million discs per day!

They would most likely be manufactured by companies from within the same group. These larger pressing plants are able to attract the larger record companies for the precise reason to counter piracy, internet theft etc....

sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2006, 09:27:44 AM »

I see no reason for alarm yet. This is 2006 this can come together real quick, hell it could be done by now sitting in a freaking warehouse ready for distribution tagged something else. ?Which i hope is the case. I hope it does not leak.

Have some patience.

I think we will not know anything until distribution, possibly only a few days before release. And think of this, if they do not give an actual release date yet, nobody is looking for it. ?If I'm a guy in that comes in contact with the process I'm looking extra hard right before that date, but if i do not know that date i get tired of looking my guard is down. ?

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2006, 09:31:09 AM »

You are correct, there would be at least 10 pressing plants working towards meeting the same worldwide production schedule. Although some larger plants can manufacture and pack 6million discs per day!

They would most likely be manufactured by companies from within the same group. These larger pressing plants are able to attract the larger record companies for the precise reason to counter piracy, internet theft etc....

Thanks for info since you have actully experience in the industry.

Do you think they would risk that with CD having so many plants or would they stick to one of the bigger plants and just ship worldwide. I know I'm guessing now, but hell that is normal around here.

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
kriss_boy
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2006, 09:42:54 AM »

Yea I mean in your opinion.... how many days do you think they could press it before releasing it and do you think it will leak?

Could it say, be pressed one week then on the shelves the next?
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2006, 09:43:21 AM »

I'm concerned ever since the Rolling Stone article got pulled from this site that the statement that CD will be coming out this year is on shaky ground. ?Has anyone heard anything to the contrary?

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2006, 09:47:23 AM »

This is my own personal opinion and in no way fact...

Ok, because of the record company and their association I think they will press and distribute the CD for the European release in Germany, in a place called Gutterslou? (Spelling) The place sounds like I have spelt it. There are 5 partners for the USA release. ranging from Boston, San Fran, Kentucky etc.. Zhong Guo for the Chinese and Asian markets. Maybe a seperate supplier in Japan? Maybe Yaroslavl in Russia for the baltics.

Like I said only my gut feelings from having worked in the industry.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 09:59:37 AM by meanmachine73 » Logged

Meanmachine22
Rocker

Trust me it's worth the waiting...

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2006, 09:48:24 AM »

Well it seems like meanmachine73 knows his shit ?Roll Eyes
Good to hear.
It is weird to read posts starting with meanmachine.. I always think it was me until i recognized that my english is much poorer than what i read from meanmachine73 ?hihi

"when i say the time is right..well, than the time is right fuckhead!"
meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2006, 09:51:43 AM »

Yea I mean in your opinion.... how many days do you think they could press it before releasing it and do you think it will leak?

Could it say, be pressed one week then on the shelves the next?

Well it wouldn't be a problem to have the CD Mastered, pressed, printed material produced, and jewel cases fulfiled in 7 working days, then maybe 2 days to distribute. At this time of the year, working days are 7 days a week... So to answer your question 10 actual days and it could be in the shops.

In terms of it leaking, I was in quite a senior position in the company I worked and was never checked by security, the average worker is scanned by a hand held detector, bags, luch boxes etc checked. So if there was someone in my position that wanted the disc they COULD leak it. Again only in my experience of the working of the manufacturing process.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2006, 09:56:09 AM »

I previously worked within the CD/DVD manufacturing industry. If a new release, which was being kept underwraps was scheduled for pressing, the record company would give us an alias for the title and artist. Example: Artist: The rifle tootin florists. Title: Red Ruling. ? ?

Thanks for this. ?I was going to comment but everything you said is spot on.....

You can manny a CD is about 7 to 10 days, so long as you've booked the time with the pressing plant in advance.

nice work meanmachine thanks for the info beer

WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2006, 09:58:54 AM »

This is my own personal opinion and in no way fact...

Ok, because of the record company and their association I think they will press and distribute the CD for the European release in Germany, in a place called Gutterslou? (Spelling) The place sounds like I have spelt it. There are 5 partners for the USA release. ranging from Boston, San Fran, Kentucky etc.. Zhong Guo for the Chinese and Asian markets. Maybe a seperate supplier in Japan?

Like I said only my gut feelings from having worked in the industry.

i think you mean G?tersloh hihi   well anyways....

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: