Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2024, 01:42:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228093 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy cannot come out with ZERO advance notice
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy cannot come out with ZERO advance notice  (Read 17251 times)
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2006, 03:37:52 AM »

hahahaha, awesome!!!

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2006, 03:50:23 AM »

I'm selfish. I want CD now. I don't care about PR. I don't care if they fail miserably in the sales department. Well, that's not entirely true, I do hope they sell enough to be able to continue making records with the current line-up. But how they want to do things is purely up to them and they know it. But to put it in stores with zero promotion would be to overestimate GN'R's current status and the general music consumer. But if zero promotion means CD in my hand on Tuesday next week, well then I won't be one to complain, but I'd seriously question GN'R's management capabilites. But, in reality, my opinion and guess is that that will not be the case, even though I'm a selfish prick who'd love it!
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2006, 08:15:52 AM »

Sure it can.  It can be promoted when or after it's released.  Who cares if it sells well on the first day it's out there?  It will still sell the same in the long run.

The record label has pumped millions of dollars into this already.  Why would they pump out another million or two for an advertising campaign before the album is released?  Let the tour promote the album and the music will sell itself.  Not only that, but the media will go crazy on the week it's released because it's been dubbed as an album that will never see the light of day, and the album that took ten years to make.  Not to mention the fact that it was released without any advanced notice.  That's free advertising right there.  If sales are shitty after all of that, then it's time to pay to promote the album's release.

GNRevolution... the missing link.
robinfinckfan
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2006, 08:15:56 AM »

you don't want to build this album up with multi million dollar promotions to just see it fall miserably from the charts and that back lash on a already stressed out axl rose with touring and everything else.

this has never been done to this extent, an album this talked about with this long of wait and the story behind it.

less promotion the " better". axl didn't do this to be #1, he did it for him. no promotion, let the music sell it self. I have no idea how you promote this, but if this is the way, it's a great idea that takes alot of stress off axl and we will all benefit from that. ok
madagas
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2006, 08:25:28 AM »

Agree completely-drop this baby out of nowhere and work this thing from the ground up.  Grin
Journeyman
VIP

Not like you, unlike me...

« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2006, 08:26:30 AM »

you don't want to build this album up with multi million dollar promotions to just see it fall miserably from the charts and that back lash on a already stressed out axl rose with touring and everything else.

this has never been done to this extent, an album this talked about with this long of wait and the story behind it.

less promotion the " better". axl didn't do this to be #1, he did it for him. no promotion, let the music sell it self. I have no idea how you promote this, but if this is the way, it's a great idea that takes alot of stress off axl and we will all benefit from that. ok

As I said in other thread...I dont care if CD is number 1 in the first week. This album is gonna sell not because of promotion but because of the genius behind the music. It will be talked about, friend to friend...and the quality will prove it to be better than any other album in recent years ?yes

2/7/92 -  Alvalade, Portugal
27/5/06 - RIR, Portugal
30/7/06 - Wembley Arena, London
6/10/10 - Meo Arena, Portugal
7/5/16 - AXL/DC Algés, Portugal
2/6/17 - Algés, Portugal
5/6/22 - Algés, Portug
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2006, 08:28:18 AM »

Strange that the same guys who were talking about how important to start at No. 1. on the charts find the non-promotion idea great. Just because Merck said a double talkin' sentence? Let the music do the talking - right, but who'll buy it if only hc fans know it's out?

Get real, it'll have tons of promotion.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
madagas
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2006, 08:31:42 AM »

Mikka, I hope you are not talking about me.  Angry I have never said that this record needs large promotion. The press will promote it by themselves as evidenced by Rolling Stone right now.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2006, 08:54:14 AM »

Mikka, I hope you are not talking about me.? Angry I have never said that this record needs large promotion. The press will promote it by themselves as evidenced by Rolling Stone right now.

Wasn't talking about you.

Ceterum censeo they should announce a release date - the media will do a lot of hype, of course, cause the classic band is legendary and Axl hasn't released new material for 15 years, but now the last huge rockstar is back. But it will not be enough, they should release a single and a video. No need to street posters (street teams, right?  hihi) or TV commercials. Just a release date and a killer song to convince people.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
madagas
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2006, 08:56:19 AM »

I do think they need to release a single! hihi
1badapple
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2006, 08:58:53 AM »

Merck probably just said that because he knows people on these forums have been bitching about getting a release date announcement. He's messing with us. Merck isn't stupid enough to think he can get this thing in stores without us finding out about it atleast 2-3 days prior.
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2006, 09:12:37 AM »

This would be the worst idea ever.
First things first it is no longer the most anticipated album ever, its not even the most anticipated album of this year.  It was anticipated highly in the 90's, but for the average person GNR is dead, Axl is a dick, and they were a one album wonder from the 80's.  You act like everyone in the world is a loyal fan like you, but theyre not.  Thats why the tours havent sold out, thats why Oh My God did nothing, thats why Axl Rose in many places has become a punchline.  More people are anticipating the new Jay Z album than the new GNR album.  How many 12-18 year olds are going to buy an album with no single, no video, and with no promotion.  People buy music they can either relate to, or that they admire they do not buy cd's buy bands who play the intro song to football games. 

It would be a horrible idea.  Also, Axl is not the CIA, he does not control the media or the internet, he doesnt have wiretaps.  He could not keep a cd release from the public and why on earth would you want to.

If CD is going to be released we will know 2 weeks in advance, Guaranteed.

If they do no promo for cd it will fail miserably and GNR will be over.

This CD cost 13 million dollars (reportedly) that makes it similar to a blockbuster movie.  This isnt "lies" this is a blockbuster album.  Name a blockbuster movie that has had no promotion, they didnt do a surprise release for Pirates of the Carribean II and that was highly anticipated.  What benefit comes from no one knowing that youre releasing your album?
CoreyRotic007
Opening Act

Resortin' To Violence Since '77

« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2006, 09:15:34 AM »

I'm sure this is gonna go over great, but this sort of strategy has been used before.

If you've read Motley Crue's book "The Dirt" it was written that their label actually set them up so one of their albums would be a loss.
 The label has very little to lose by just releasing the record and not sinking another wad of cash into promo'ing it.
If it's a huge hit (which I'm fairly certain it will be) the label comes out ahead. If it tanks they can call it a loss, and write it off.

In my humble opinion, this album will do very well. I work in radio, and our listeners seem very excited and hungry for the new material.

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2006, 09:19:22 AM »

smells like a kind of Norah Jones strategy...

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
1badapple
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2006, 09:28:19 AM »

I'm sure this is gonna go over great, but this sort of strategy has been used before.

If you've read Motley Crue's book "The Dirt" it was written that their label actually set them up so one of their albums would be a loss.
 The label has very little to lose by just releasing the record and not sinking another wad of cash into promo'ing it.
If it's a huge hit (which I'm fairly certain it will be) the label comes out ahead. If it tanks they can call it a loss, and write it off.

Wasn't that the second cd they recorded with Corabi? The label made it clear that they would just throw the cd out there and see if it sells. Once they realized the label wasn't going to back them without Vince, they got Vince back. That second Corabi cd ended up being re-recorded with Vince's vocals and was called Generation Swine, which even with alot of hype didn't do so well.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2006, 09:39:47 AM »

i think it may happen...i say we get a weeks notice

CoreyRotic007
Opening Act

Resortin' To Violence Since '77

« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2006, 09:40:39 AM »

That's true as well...
 I was just thinking out loud, since the idea had been planted in my head by that chapter.

That's all we can do right now is speculate anyway. And I don't know about you guys, but to me speculation is much more fun than working right now.
 Wink
meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2006, 09:44:12 AM »

I think people suggesting Axl doesn't want or need the publicity to sell the CD are somewhat blinkered in their opinion. The fact is the record company desperately need to recoup their costs. In my mind the Record Company and management will blitz all marketing opportunities at their time of choosing, ok with input from the band.

1 week of GN'R madness on TV, magazines,internet etc would be perfect. It is probably already planned out with precision.

By the way, Generation Swine sold so badly because the record sucked. People didnt embrace Corabi, even though the album the debut record with Motley was very very good. HOOOOOligans Holidayyyyy. They put vince on the album too quickly in my opinion

Keep em under your wheels.
guns_n_motley
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2006, 09:44:49 AM »

just a theory, what if the album comes out October 24!!?? first night of the tour, a tuesday.. we could get it any tuesday they said..
PrettyTiedUp763
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2006, 09:52:09 AM »

1 week of GN'R madness on TV, magazines,internet etc would be perfect. It is probably already planned out with precision.

That's what I was thinking. A week would be good enough.  yes
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: