Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2024, 01:38:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228093 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy cannot come out with ZERO advance notice
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy cannot come out with ZERO advance notice  (Read 17245 times)
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 10:14:55 PM »

You can't compare this to Limp Bizkit's album, becaue Limp Bizkit had already reached a point where fans were apathetic towards them.  Their prior album had been a failure even though it was promoted pretty heavily.  So when they released this album nobody, fans and media alike, cared.  Limp Bizkit was already irrelevant at that point.

If Guns N Roses did this, there would be a media frenzy and it would be all over the entertainment news.  So the results would be nothing alike
Ak1nney
Rocker

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 10:15:24 PM »

Has any1 checked their local store, it may be out!
kunzerd
VIP

5/12/06, 5/17/06, 11/10/06, 11/26/11, 2/10/12,

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 10:17:33 PM »

im going to quote myself, because for some reason, you guys keep missing the reason why this could never happen.

its pretty brilliant if you ask me... Release the most anticipated album of all time without notice... it will be on the news because of how unconventional they did it

you guys seem to forget that the ones that care about GNR now are on these forums, everyone else needs convincing, convincing in the form of a single.

yeah axl's great, yeah GNR rocks, but 9 out of 10 people nowadays think he is the biggest fuck up in music history and a total joke.

which i think is a shame, because so far these leaks are the best contribution to rock ive heard in the past 5 years.

also, i want to remind everyone that Axl isnt the one releasing CD, Universal is, and Universal is going to go with their tried and true route of making money, which is promoting an album.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
5/12/06 - Hammerstein, NY
5/17/06 - Hammerstein, NY
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/10/12 - Roseland Ballroom, NY
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 10:24:04 PM »

also, i want to remind everyone that Axl isnt the one releasing CD, Universal is, and Universal is going to go with their tried and true route of making money, which is promoting an album.

While this is very true, there was a rumor a while back that Axl had been financially cut-off by the label and it was up to him to get the album finished and released. I think it is safe to assume that the absolute total lack of promotional push or advertisement thus far, as well as the rumored no release date release is the act of someone with no budget to work with.

For all we know the label could have very well told him they weren't going to pump a ton of money into promo or advertising because he pissed away the entire advance and a shitload of other money just making the album. It is entirely possible they could have just decided to eliminate their financial exposure to the project and have left it up to him and his management team. Which would explain why no money has been put into the promotion of the band.
Sickthings3
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 10:26:14 PM »

Yea, but Word of mouth is going to be king! I'm sure any causal fan that is already predetermined he doesn't like Axl would be more likely to buy it if he hears " CD is out and it's actually pretty good" as oppose to "CD is coming out XX/XX/06". 

Plus, this could be another attempt to recreate the magic of AFD by just putting it out there and watching it climb the charts as oppose to having a HUGE debut week, then crapping out because all the hardcore fans already bought it the first day.
kunzerd
VIP

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 10:32:26 PM »

Yea, but Word of mouth is going to be king! I'm sure any causal fan that is already predetermined he doesn't like Axl would be more likely to buy it if he hears " CD is out and it's actually pretty good" as oppose to "CD is coming out XX/XX/06".?

Plus, this could be another attempt to recreate the magic of AFD by just putting it out there and watching it climb the charts as oppose to having a HUGE debut week, then crapping out because all the hardcore fans already bought it the first day.

we have 4 categories of buyers here:

1) the die hard fan. this guy is going to by CD no matter what, he is just waiting for a date

2) the unknown: he likes gnr, but doesnt know anything about whats going on

3) the skepticL axl's pissed him off, and he needs a lot of convincing

4) the new guy: he hasnt heard gnr yet, and this could be the thing to sell him on the band.

without a release date, and some promotion, getting your cd to all of them is a shot in the dark. wont make an impressive hit on the charts. yeah its cool to see it climb, but a lot of people depend on those first week numbers. just like movies, if you start big, youll end big, but if you start small you better hope it catches on.

with promotion you automatically will catch buyers 1 and 2. you might even get #4 with a single. and then its just a matter of time until you turn #3 around.

its just good business sense.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
badintentions
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 10:38:14 PM »

The importance of a strong single cannot be understated here. That is what is going to get the millions to buy. If they just drop the album with no warning, it will not sell that well at all at first. The bulk of people will be buying this album because of the intrigue of gnr putting out something new PLUS the new single.

There is no way they drop this with no promotion and no notice. I can, however, see them do it with just a months notice and a SINGLE to help the promotion. Sadly, while I actually thought for the first time in 4 years this thing would come out soon, now i do not   no
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 10:39:28 PM »

It's been promoted pretty well by Rolling Stone magazine.

No link posted but I'm sure the word is getting out.

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
kunzerd
VIP

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 10:43:09 PM »

RS talks about CD, i wouldnt have guess. ive never seen it.  hihi

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 10:43:18 PM »

The importance of a strong single cannot be understated here. That is what is going to get the millions to buy. If they just drop the album with no warning, it will not sell that well at all at first. The bulk of people will be buying this album because of the intrigue of gnr putting out something new PLUS the new single.

There is no way they drop this with no promotion and no notice. I can, however, see them do it with just a months notice and a SINGLE to help the promotion. Sadly, while I actually thought for the first time in 4 years this thing would come out soon, now i do not   no

How do you go from thinking it would come out to now thinking it won't after today?  What about the unspeakable article gives you the impression that it will not?
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 10:47:31 PM »

You can't compare this to Limp Bizkit's album, becaue Limp Bizkit had already reached a point where fans were apathetic towards them.? Their prior album had been a failure even though it was promoted pretty heavily.? So when they released this album nobody, fans and media alike, cared.? Limp Bizkit was already irrelevant at that point.

If Guns N Roses did this, there would be a media frenzy and it would be all over the entertainment news.? So the results would be nothing alike

A media frenzy?? You actually think no promo will create buzz?!?! If that was the case all shows on the tour would be sold out.... Hate to say it but Limp Bizkit is alot more fresh in peoples minds than Axl and his hired guns... If it was a sure shot the leaks would be so much more wide spread than they are, they may be big on the forums... Outside of here nobody listens to them... because they dont know....
1badapple
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 10:49:37 PM »

You can't compare this to Limp Bizkit's album, becaue Limp Bizkit had already reached a point where fans were apathetic towards them.? Their prior album had been a failure even though it was promoted pretty heavily.? So when they released this album nobody, fans and media alike, cared.? Limp Bizkit was already irrelevant at that point.

If Guns N Roses did this, there would be a media frenzy and it would be all over the entertainment news.? So the results would be nothing alike

A media frenzy?? You actually think no promo will create buzz?!?! If that was the case all shows on the tour would be sold out.... Hate to say it but Limp Bizkit is alot more fresh in peoples minds than Axl and his hired guns... If it was a sure shot the leaks would be so much more wide spread than they are, they may be big on the forums... Outside of here nobody listens to them... because they dont know....

Actually i hear CITR,IRS, and TWAT on I97 (a local station) on a semi-regular basis. CITR gets the most airplay.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 10:52:35 PM »

Actually i hear CITR,IRS, and TWAT on I97 (a local station) on a semi-regular basis. CITR gets the most airplay.

What market is this, because its one of the few..... If sales of the 02 are any indication, this album needs serious promotion..
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 10:57:21 PM by loaded nightrain » Logged
1badapple
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2006, 10:56:06 PM »

the central area of illinois. i know, not a huge city like Chicago or anything, but the fact is that a lot of people in this area like what they've heard. I also just read somewhere within the last week that rock records are selling better in the midwest than anywhere else in the US at the moment.
Cleopatra2U
Rocker

I might be too much but honey you're a bit obscene

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2006, 10:58:40 PM »

Limp Bizkit is not in the same class as GNR. ?But this MTV article about LB, http://www.mtv.com/bands/l/limp_bizkit/news_feature_052305/, gives an interesting take on releasing a CD with little to no promo. ?Here's an excerpt:

"This strategy makes tons of sense from the label's point of view," noted Paul Fischer, a professor in the Department of Recording Industry at Middle Tennessee State University. "These guys have been 'away' for a while, nobody's sure if fans still care about them, so let's find out, the cheapest way possible. Put out the disc and see how many are drawn to it, if it gains some momentum, spin the strategy to highlight die-hard fans and exploit their loyalty to reach a broader audience. And, if there aren't many sales and little momentum, everyone can walk away from the project with the minimum amount of embarrassment."
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2006, 11:01:07 PM »

Limp Bizkit is not in the same class as GNR. ?But this MTV article about LB, http://www.mtv.com/bands/l/limp_bizkit/news_feature_052305/, gives an interesting take on releasing a CD with little to no promo. ?Here's an excerpt:

"This strategy makes tons of sense from the label's point of view," noted Paul Fischer, a professor in the Department of Recording Industry at Middle Tennessee State University. "These guys have been 'away' for a while, nobody's sure if fans still care about them, so let's find out, the cheapest way possible. Put out the disc and see how many are drawn to it, if it gains some momentum, spin the strategy to highlight die-hard fans and exploit their loyalty to reach a broader audience. And, if there aren't many sales and little momentum, everyone can walk away from the project with the minimum amount of embarrassment."

You're 100% right they're not in the same class.... so why try to experiment with an album as cheap as possible... When that album was way over $13 million to make??? Theres ALOT of embarrassment and it hasn't even been released!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 11:04:49 PM by loaded nightrain » Logged
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2006, 11:10:32 PM »

CD can't, shouldn't and won't come out like this.

GeraldFord
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2006, 11:16:42 PM »

At anyrate, amazon will still give us a head's up.
WhiteRose
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2006, 11:26:22 PM »

While this is very true, there was a rumor a while back that Axl had been financially cut-off by the label and it was up to him to get the album finished and released. I think it is safe to assume that the absolute total lack of promotional push or advertisement thus far, as well as the rumored no release date release is the act of someone with no budget to work with.

For all we know the label could have very well told him they weren't going to pump a ton of money into promo or advertising because he pissed away the entire advance and a shitload of other money just making the album. It is entirely possible they could have just decided to eliminate their financial exposure to the project and have left it up to him and his management team. Which would explain why no money has been put into the promotion of the band.

That's an interesting theory... and crazy as it sounds... I've been pondering the same scenario for the past few days. Unfortunately, if this album is released without a publicized release date, single, or any other form of promotion... I feel it would be an even greater financial disaster for the label. I certainly hope this isn't the case, as GnR need all the help (publicity/promotion) they can get right now. Huh?

Cheers,
W.R.
Bono
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2006, 11:26:27 PM »

You're 100% right they're not in the same class.... so why try to experiment with an album as cheap as possible... When that album was way over $13 million to make??? Theres ALOT of embarrassment and it hasn't even been released!

Agreed. The "strategy" mentioned above is dumb. U2 released Zooropa this way and they regret it to an extent. they feel some of their best material went unnoticed due to lack of promotion. That's how they feel about an album that took about 4 months to write, record and release. No add 12.5 years to the anticipation as wella s the finincial investment and you can see why they are gonna promote the shit out of it. If they don't they're just flat out stupid. ?the diehards have already been exploited by having 2 tours featuring mostly old material with no CD release date. We're gonna buy the album no matter what. its' the rest of the peopel they need to target and that means promotion. Not no promotion.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: