Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 10:02:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  GN'R @ the 2002 MTV VMAs thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GN'R @ the 2002 MTV VMAs thread  (Read 41305 times)
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« on: December 30, 2002, 03:56:00 PM »

I just finished reading the "Axl's Voice" thread and I'd like to make a comment about the VMA performance.

What happened? After stumbling a bit in WTTJ, Axl proved that this band is as entertaining, unpredictable, and talented as ever. Bottom line.

Now. Many of you (you know who you are) are focussed primarily on Axl's "windedness" during the beginning of the
performance and are judging his singing abilities based on this one screw up...rather than the rest of this AMAZING PERFORMANCE.

What some of you are not concentrating on is that fact that Axl was as excited about performing for a televised audience as we (and everyone else who lived, breathed and ate up MTV in the 80s) were. He's stated how nervous he was but at the same time how exhilerating and exciting the experience was.

Taking this into count, I think it's easy to determine what set off Axl's minor fault (and I don't really buy the whole "running from security" thing, although I guess it could be true). He's backstage, ready to be announced, ready to show his face, ready to show the world that this band is back and better than ever and he starts WTTJ with the most evil sounding, resonant and prolonged scream I've ever heard him use in this intro (longer that any one of those "...time to diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiies"). Listen to past recording on how he usually screams that intro. He usually breaks it up into two or three screams that are pieced together by lowering the volume of his voice. But not this night. No, this night he gave that first scream ALL he had...and it sounded friggin' Amazing!!!

After this intro, the curtain is going up and he realized this is it and he started running around like a madman from a heafty dose of adrenaline and excitement...and by doing so (after that wickedly loud and long intro scream) through his own breathing rhythym off causing him to become winded during some of the next few lyrics.

I think it's disapointing to see so many "fans" look down upon this performance. It was legendary and it will forever remembered as a great start to a great comeback from a great band. Period.

The rest of the performance was incredible and went off without a hitch in true GnFnRs style!

What more could you ask for?

« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 05:16:34 PM by jarmo » Logged

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
lastroots
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 04:06:29 PM »

Well, it is a fact that I am one the biggest Axl supporters on this board as you might know, but I don't agree with you here.

First: I also was blown away when I saw the VMAs but I think that was more according to the fact that GN'R were live on my fuckin' tv screen for the first time since nearly a decade.

But I think the performance was not too good. The band played and behaved more powerful during the warmup (August) and the Tour (November) than at the VMAs. And Axl ... well, I heard the rumour he wasn't able to hear himself during the performance, and if that is true (look at it, it might be true, he always grabs the little speaker in his ear) then it is clear to me why his singing wasn't too good that day.

He messed some parts up and didn't nearly hit the notes during Paradise City.

But I know that's not the usual case according to the fact that I heard countless of the other new performances. Axl is still an amazing singer and I think his voice is now better than 10 years ago. Some people say they miss the "scratch" in his voice. Well, listen clearly to some of the bootlegs (a very good example is Nightrain from Pukkelpop, Belgium in August). He still has the "scratch". And he uses it more thoughtful than back in the day. Most of the time his voice is very clean and high and that sounds way better than this permanent and "overstretched" "scratch". Just listen to his screaming during SCOM in the Tokyo vid. It sounds awful. Now compare this to the SCOM recording from Belgium - Sounds nearly like on AFD.

Ok, these are my 2 cents for Axls voice.

/lastroots
Mr. Brownstone
Rocker

Cause silence isn't golden if you're holding it in inside...

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 04:32:30 PM »

Uh....everyone I have talked to said it was hurrendous. In some cases I didn't even have to ask.

Did I mention, I thought it was horrible too. Not the band per say, as they were tight. Just axl. It was an embaressment I think for most.

Of course thats just my opinion along with a few others.  [smoking]

« Last Edit: December 30, 2002, 04:33:15 PM by Mr. Brownstone » Logged

Cars are crashin' everynight,
I drink n' drive everythings in sight,
I make the fire but I miss the firefight,
I hit the bull's eye everynight
It's so easy, easy...
Mr. Brownstone
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2002, 04:41:36 PM »

The rest of the performance was incredible and went off without a hitch in true GnFnRs style!

What more could you ask for?

Haha. Ha. Ha. Haha. G N' R without a hitch, true G N' R style?!? HAhahaha.  [rofl]   [rofl]   [rofl]  LOL.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2002, 04:42:03 PM by Mr. Brownstone » Logged

It's so easy, easy...
Mr. Brownstone
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2002, 05:02:33 PM »

Just to clarify, saying GNR's style is "going without a hitch", is like saying Jesus "isnt included" in the Bible.

Its just not true.  [smoking]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2002, 05:03:53 PM by Mr. Brownstone » Logged

It's so easy, easy...
kidrock
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2002, 05:16:07 PM »

It left me with goosebumps.

Bucket was awesome.

Axl wasn't his best for whatever reason, get out there and do it better if you dare.

Axl at 70% is better than anybody currently out there.

You say it sucked, I say it rocked.

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2002, 05:51:03 PM »

I think Axl was more on with his vocals in the concert bootlegs I have heard before and after the VMA`s.  Axl did sound a little off.  Especially on WTTJ.

BUT... It was an amazing performance. The band was right on. Buckethead really shined at the end of Paradice City.  I`d like to see anyone do better. Axl did not lip sync and granted he wasn`t his best, but I`d like to see anyone else who performed that night do better.

Some may not agree, but in my opinion they stole the show.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
BUCKETHEAD
Rocker

"id hate to look into those eyes and see an ounce of pain"

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2002, 06:29:40 PM »

(in my opinion)

one of the main reasons axl sounded bad/tired/messed up had to have been because something wrong with his ear piece... look at him... he keeps adjusting it.

and  i also agree with the scream in the beginning of WTTJ.  in other shows its done in pieces... while this one was axl all out with no stopping... any human being would get tired after that.

once he had a chance to catch his breath in madagascar... it started to pick up.

he was also probably freaked out a bit... being on stage in the U.S. for the first time in almost a decade... not cuz hes old or any shit like that..... listen to the japan show... axl sounds great, which wasnt too long before the vmas.

but even with the mess ups... the performance kicked ass!

theres my two cents.

[beer] [beer]

"we take for granted we know the whole story/ we judge a book by its cover and read what we want/ between selected lines."
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2002, 06:31:06 PM »

It was Axl's decision to let out that first scream (which was incredible btw)... but he fucked up the rest of the performance.  Yeah, I 100% agree that he was a little over-excited, but that's his problem to deal with, why should we have to make excuses for a grown man??.

Jungle: Terrible, he ran out of breath, that's not making a good impression.

Madagsacar: Not a good performance of this song, "aaaaahhh aahhh aah" was a fuckin joke, but "free the ball and chain" was good.

Paradise City: Axl sounded like someone had stepped on his nuts, his voice was higher than Mariah could go.

The band was good, but who really cared about the band?? It wasn't the lineup everyone was expecting to see under those curtains.  Axl was the one everyone was focused on and he fucked up, now he has to deal with the onslaught he is getting in the media.

Someone mentioned this was a great start to a great comeback... WTF are you smoking and how can I get some... GOOD COMEBACK?? Two riots, half a tour cancelled, and a bad debut on television.  Some comeback.

Saying bullshit like "the reason they sucked was because Axl was excited" is fuckin stupid.  They are performers, if they can't handle shit like that then they aren't good performers.

You know what, my band is the GREATEST EVER.  The only reason my performance last night was bad is because we don't know how to play our instruments, that's the only reason. Puhleeeze STOP making lame excuses for Axl.
kidrock
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2002, 08:08:04 PM »

So in a nutshell, Sky & 5's....is what you're saying is that because of the subpar VMA's performance, the tour being cancelled...........Axl and whatever form of "his" GN'R he brings out in the future.......is done??

As in, it doesn't matter how good Chinese Democracy is.....you think it's over??
AxlisGNR
Opening Act

bite my llama!

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2002, 08:10:33 PM »

I really enjoyed the VMA's, I thought the band sounded great, Axl didnt, but I still thought it was cooler than anyone else all night, in fact I cant remember a better performance in the last several years, by another band.
kidrock
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2002, 08:14:27 PM »

So in a nutshell, Sky & 5's....is what you're saying is that because of the subpar VMA's performance, the tour being cancelled...........Axl and whatever form of "his" GN'R he brings out in the future.......is done??

As in, it doesn't matter how good Chinese Democracy is.....you think it's over??

no, I didn't say anything about it being over, I was just responding to the VMA topic, that's all..... Smiley

Sorry 5's..........Sky then, it appears from what you said....you think Axl has fucked it up for good??  As in, he's done??
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2002, 08:37:10 PM »

Sorry 5's..........Sky then, it appears from what you said....you think Axl has fucked it up for good??  As in, he's done??

No of course I don't think that (although it is possible, we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes right now).  Axl fucked up his great comeback, he waited for ten years and he screwed up when he finally got around to doing something. There's no way you can disagree with me there.... had he been successful the tour would not have been as shitty as it was.

I'm saying that everyone is bashing Axl right now, and he needs to get moving and get the damn album out there, or put out a single, or do an interview, SOMETHING.  His silence is only drawinig Michael Jackson comparisons...  but to say that the VMAs was a great start to a great comeback is the biggest load of shit I've ever had the displeasure of hearing.
kidrock
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2002, 09:22:19 PM »

No of course I don't think that (although it is possible, we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes right now).  Axl fucked up his great comeback, he waited for ten years and he screwed up when he finally got around to doing something. There's no way you can disagree with me there.... had he been successful the tour would not have been as shitty as it was.

I'm saying that everyone is bashing Axl right now, and he needs to get moving and get the damn album out there, or put out a single, or do an interview, SOMETHING.  His silence is only drawinig Michael Jackson comparisons...  but to say that the VMAs was a great start to a great comeback is the biggest load of shit I've ever had the displeasure of hearing.

I agree, the next step is the promotion of, release of....then more promotion of CD.  

I don't agree that he fucked up his comeback.  Maybe he realized he jumped the gun and attempted to make the comeback too soon.

I'm guessing he's not too shook up about the tour being cancelled.

Everything hinges on how soon we see CD and how good CD is.

Until then, the final chapter may have started but is not completed by any means.
AxlisGNR
Opening Act

bite my llama!

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2002, 09:26:48 PM »

I agree that it is way to early to say he fucked up his comeback, just a couple stumbling blocks that nobody will remember IF the album is great.
insupportofaxlrose
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2002, 10:15:48 PM »

You know what?Huh

I would like to see the people on this forum walk in Axl's shoes and get up in front of a live television performance, nervous, excited, whatever the fuck you decide to call it after a long duration of being a recluse and I would like to see how you handle a performance with new band members and see how you do. [rant]   Ease up people....or I will have to cyber kick your ass!! [hihi]

I think Axl did okay...not great, but not bad.  

If you had 1/8th of the talent Axl had, you all would be better people.  I know I would.  I can't sing worth shit, except in my Mazda Tribute when I am cruising the beach [hihi] nor can I play any instruments.  I wish I had talent.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2002, 10:16:52 PM by insupportofaxlrose » Logged
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2002, 10:39:07 PM »

I'm of the opinion that Axl's voice was not very good at the VMAs. But I don't think it deviated too far from what he's been doing at other live performances.  

Basically I think Axl's voice runs on solar power these days, where it used to be nuclear powered, and certain parts of certain songs reveal it more than others. But when you are actually at the show, or listen to a single track recording made at the show, with those mammouth amps, you don't really notice it because the sound of the band covers it up. I've been at two of the recent shows, and I can tell you that even when Axl's voice isn't overpowering, the band sounds awesome. The fact is, Axl's voice isn't really featured a lot of the time in the live mix.

What I think happened with the VMAs is that we got a soundboard feed, which featured Axl's voice without camouflage. (It reminds me a lot of a video that I have of Noblesville, IN 91, where his voice is awful and it's on prominent display because it's a soundboard recording.) And on top of that he was singing sections of Jungle and PC that he can't screech out very well anymore.

If you listen to the same sections of Jungle and PC at MSG that he sang at the VMAs, he really sings it the same way both times. It's better, but not radically different at MSG. What makes the difference at MSG is the rest of the band is recorded on a single track with his vocals, so the vocals are covered up quite a bit.

With the VMAs I kept waitng for the part after the Jungle bridge, which is where he can really let loose, regardless of the setting. But instead we got that silly medley.

Probably if he would've sung Live and Let Die people wouldn't have been talking about his voice problems, because the lyrics in that song provide lots of long notes for him to open his throat and shriek. Then again, I hate that song and I'm glad they didn't do that either.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2002, 10:40:49 PM by Johnnyblood » Logged

I've seen enough.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2002, 10:39:40 PM »

That's exactly my point... Axl Rose is not a charity case.

He's supposed to be the talented one, and getting up in front of all those people is his talent.  If Axl is going to only do "ok", then maybe he shouldn't be closing MTV's biggest show of the year since all eyes will be on him.
insupportofaxlrose
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2002, 10:45:21 PM »

did anyone see when Axl almost swallows confetti???

that was kind of funny [hihi]

it is during paradise city

you know what would be cool?Huh?if GNR did a surprise performance at the Superbowl [ok]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2002, 10:52:56 PM by insupportofaxlrose » Logged
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2002, 12:40:22 AM »

Fuck suprises, how about they let the entire world know they're playing the super bowl so they can lay the VMA performance to rest.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: