Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2024, 07:29:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228089 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Sept. 21st, 2006 San Francisco
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sept. 21st, 2006 San Francisco  (Read 54780 times)
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2006, 09:44:56 AM »

Interesting night to say the least gunners.

sebastian threw out a fan for throwing a cup at him when he was opening for gnr.

Axl threw out 2 fans. Told one " you think you're a bigger asshole than me? You got a lot to learn. I'm the biggest asshole. Suck my cock dickhead. What your mommy bought you the ticket so you waste money? I know I don't waste mine" then pointed to his shirt "see - king dick that's me"

"We are gonna have a good time tonight anyway" this was all during scom.

During my michelle, at a portion lights went on, sebastian hugged axl n pointed straight to me. Later at the club I asked sebastian and he said he was pointing at me and said "that guys cool, been to many shows". Later in the night sebastian standing side of stage waved hi, and after used to love her axl pointed to me and waved with both arms in a comical way as if trying to get my attention the way I was trying to get his. How did this happen? Well I chose to be center front seat of the balcony near soundboard and he had a clear sight of me as lights were on me. Later two girls came next to me and said "hey are you axls friend, can we sit next to you, why is he waving at you in the middle of a show" I said "I'm cool like that".

They did a very long set, blessing us w roclket queen. Again the sound was top notch, buit there were minor technical difficulties but nothing to whine about.

So after the show, we went to Whisper, an after hour club where we partied with the entire band. This was not a gnr performance, just the band chilling.
Let's cut to the point - I walked in w ron. Big club, one private table w axl and 30 models. Ron walked me up and introduced me.
Me "its a pleasure and honor to meet you"
Axl "hi thanks, hey did you catch the mic?"
Me "oh you saw I was the asshole waving at you the whole time"
Axl "haha ya thanks for supportin the band"
Me "no I didn't catch it, some guy behind me threw himself in the mix but its all good, I had a great time"
Axl "that's cool"
We toasted.
He sat back down next to his hot model gf.

Then I spoke to everyone else.
Ron said "hell no I'm not movin to LA"
Robin "hey I've seen you a lot, what's your name? I'm robin"
Me "ha ha ya I know I'm allen. Thanks for workin your heart out each show, welcome to the band I iwsh you all sucess"
Robin " hey thanks, Ill look for you saturday at kroq"
Me "ron do you check your myspace really?"
Ron "haha ya I do! Totally!"
Me "can I add you to my friends? Haha"
Ron "for sure bro!!"

Me "dizzy the piano is beautiful but did you write the blues as well?
Dizzy "no actually axl wrote the verses first, then I added the piano intro and bridge and then the band filled it in. Its the first song we've done together as a band. I'm real happy about it."
Me "that's awesome but robin's 'better' is also amazing. "
Dizzy " ya robin did the whole song, he is amazing. Then axl wrote all the lyrics"

Me "tommy can I buy you a drink"
Tommy "sure jack on the rocks"
We toasted jd together.

Then sebastian crashed in sebastian style.
Me "hey dude!"
Seb "hey glad you made it"
Me "dude am I wrong or were you pointin n waving at me during the show"
Seb "totally! I pointed you to axl! You're awesome for supporting them"
Me "where's your bro? He was so cool"
Seb "that's right you partied w him in london, he's in toronto. Dude you're everywhere!"
Me "ya. So?! Smiley"
We both laughed.

90 percent were women at the club.
The remianing men were either band members, managament, close friends of the band and 1 crazy fan.

After a night like that, do I need another minute in this city? Hell no.
Its 630am and I'm takin a flight home.

Next stop. Kroq.

-peace

wow.... well done!
madagas
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2006, 09:59:29 AM »

Now that's a story Sladdi! I have to say that that may be the ultimate Gnr show to see (new band)-small classic/legendary theatre-Axl full of piss and vinegar-meeting the band...congrats. beer

Now, does anybody else DISLIKE the pyro? Do they really need the pyro?....kinda cheesy 80's kitsch...everything to me is perfect (even the solos) but the pyro just is not needed. I mean, I want to hear the guitars kick in...not an explosion. hihi

Anyhow, SF is an awesome town-where I went on my honeymoon 11 years ago this week! I'm jealous as hell Sladdi. drool
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 10:04:08 AM by madagas » Logged
[mango]
Rocker

Chris Pitman = GNR

« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2006, 10:00:17 AM »

No setlist available?

And Sladdi, you lucky motherfucker...... Awesome story Cheesy

M.

18.9.2010 @ Stadthalle, Vienna, Austria - I was almost there
24.9.2010 @ Arena, Zagreb, Croatia - I was there
17.7.2012 @ Spaladium Arena, Split, Croatia - I was there too
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2006, 10:02:55 AM »

sladdi - that is class class class!  fkn great story - !!!

loved axl's King Dick comment!!  Grin

btw - i love the pyros - my husband thinks they are unnecssary and too 80's - but I fkn love em.  the crash at the start of WTTJ kicks it all off fantastically!  oooh i love a bit of fire!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2006, 10:03:57 AM »

Thanks for posting that sladdi.

It mentions his name, Allen. I think sladdi is the messenger in this case.

I remember that guy. I think. He was in the UK in July.

I might've even taken a pic of him at Nottingham Castle because this tall American asked me to take a pic of him..... I saw a smiliar looking guy in London a few days later.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
anythinggoes
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2006, 10:10:40 AM »

Wow all i can say is "Jealous" why doesnt cool shit like that happen to me  Cry

And its nothing to do with EMO Jarmo ok
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2006, 10:56:01 AM »

Exellent and honnest review by mercurynews: http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/15574554.htm
This is exactly what i though too when I saw them (exept i though the new songs were great).

"CONCERT REVIEW
Guns N' Roses comeback not bad, but not nearly good enough
By Tony Hicks
CONTRA COSTA TIMES
Axl Rose has a lot to make up for. How he's going to do it is still a mystery, even after seeing the singer and his band, Gun N' Roses, at the Warfield in San Francisco Wednesday night.

If you don't want to hear comparisons to the old GNR, stop reading now. That's what's going to happen when a one guy hijacks the name of a legendary band, doesn't tour or make records for a decade, then comes back resting squarely on the deeds of years past.

Rose has hired a stage full of musicians to play under the moniker that so many people still know and love. No Slash to play guitar anymore? No problem. Rose hired three great players who look and sound like superstars -- though three was probably a bit of overkill.

, leading one to the obvious conclusion as to the identifiable sound and skill level of the old guys.

No Duff on bass? No problem. Rose hires Tommy Stinson, the bassist from the Replacements, one of the greatest alt-rock bands to ever grace the planet.

No Matt Sorum on drums? Rose gets Brian "Brain" Mantia, the excellent drummer of the Bay Area's own Primus.

That's a lot of credibility with which Rose has armed himself to take Guns N' Roses into its new phase. Well, at least the touring version of the new phase. We're still waiting (more than a decade) for the release of GNR's infamously oft-delayed "Chinese Democracy" record.

So the question is this: What was Rose trying to accomplish Wednesday night? Is it truly a new Guns N' Roses he's shaping, or is he trying to replicate the feats of the old band while nudging the current lineup into new territory?

It wasn't clear. Rose may not realize that without a new record, and playing with an ever-shifting line-up of non-household names, fans can only judge the new GNR on the old GNR. As far as that goes, they sounded fine. They played all the old stuff during a late-running set that, while a nice trip down memory lane, still fell short of expectations. That's what happens when a legendary band lets four out of five original members leave and waits more than a decade to do anything.

While Rose is still a dynamic frontman with a unique voice, so much of GNR used to depend on the laid-back coolness-that-could-explode-at-anytime vibe of the former members. It's hard to even call the new GNR anything but an Axl Rose solo band, featuring some nice backing players.

Looking better and more lively than what he's shown on scarce TV appearances in the past few years, Rose himself fought through sound problems to attack the stage like the Axl of old.

From opener "Welcome to the Jungle," through "It's So Easy," "Mr. Brownstone," "Live and Let Die," "Sweet Child O' Mine," and "You Could be Mine," everything sounded good and looked good, except for a couple of minor hiccups on "It's So Easy." At least, everything was as right and good as possible with so many unidentifiable faces on stage.

That's the thing -- guitarists Robin Finck, Ron Thai and Richard Fortis are all very good players (though we could've done without three guitar soloists taking up so much of a 21/2-hour set). All three try damn hard, running about, striking the right rock poses, sneering ... all the standard stuff from Rockstar 101. But that in itself was strange, as GNR never had to try so hard. The new guys are doing their best, but when it comes down to it, they painfully lack by comparison. It takes three guys bashing about to equal the absolute coolness of Slash and Izzy, who never had to resort to punching strings and doing windmills to make a point.

The few new songs scattered about the set were short of memorable, lacking the band's former and very-underrated natural groove. Some songs dragged ("Knocking on Heaven's Door,") and some were appropriately epic, like "November Rain," though Slash was dully missed. The crowd didn't seem to care who was up there playing under the GNR banner, with monstrous sing-alongs all night, especially during "Patience."

Maybe old fans need to get over the fact that it's a new century for GNR. But until Rose and his new crew can forge an identity with a new record one of these years, Guns N' Roses won't be able to escape the shadow of its former greatness."
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:06:00 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2006, 10:57:19 AM »

That was posted yesterday bro...

NOW GO HOME AND GET YOUR FUCKIN' SHINEBOX!!!
theillusion
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2006, 10:58:31 AM »

Exellent and honnest review by mercurynews: http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/15574554.htm
This is exactly what i though too when I saw them.

"CONCERT REVIEW
By Tony Hicks
CONTRA COSTA TIMES
Axl Rose has a lot to make up for. How he's going to do it is still a mystery, even after seeing the singer and his band, Gun N' Roses, at the Warfield in San Francisco Wednesday night.

If you don't want to hear comparisons to the old GNR, stop reading now. That's what's going to happen when a one guy hijacks the name of a legendary band, doesn't tour or make records for a decade, then comes back resting squarely on the deeds of years past.

Rose has hired a stage full of musicians to play under the moniker that so many people still know and love. No Slash to play guitar anymore? No problem. Rose hired three great players who look and sound like superstars -- though three was probably a bit of overkill.

, leading one to the obvious conclusion as to the identifiable sound and skill level of the old guys.

No Duff on bass? No problem. Rose hires Tommy Stinson, the bassist from the Replacements, one of the greatest alt-rock bands to ever grace the planet.

No Matt Sorum on drums? Rose gets Brian "Brain" Mantia, the excellent drummer of the Bay Area's own Primus.

That's a lot of credibility with which Rose has armed himself to take Guns N' Roses into its new phase. Well, at least the touring version of the new phase. We're still waiting (more than a decade) for the release of GNR's infamously oft-delayed "Chinese Democracy" record.

So the question is this: What was Rose trying to accomplish Wednesday night? Is it truly a new Guns N' Roses he's shaping, or is he trying to replicate the feats of the old band while nudging the current lineup into new territory?

It wasn't clear. Rose may not realize that without a new record, and playing with an ever-shifting line-up of non-household names, fans can only judge the new GNR on the old GNR. As far as that goes, they sounded fine. They played all the old stuff during a late-running set that, while a nice trip down memory lane, still fell short of expectations. That's what happens when a legendary band lets four out of five original members leave and waits more than a decade to do anything.

While Rose is still a dynamic frontman with a unique voice, so much of GNR used to depend on the laid-back coolness-that-could-explode-at-anytime vibe of the former members. It's hard to even call the new GNR anything but an Axl Rose solo band, featuring some nice backing players.

Looking better and more lively than what he's shown on scarce TV appearances in the past few years, Rose himself fought through sound problems to attack the stage like the Axl of old.

From opener "Welcome to the Jungle," through "It's So Easy," "Mr. Brownstone," "Live and Let Die," "Sweet Child O' Mine," and "You Could be Mine," everything sounded good and looked good, except for a couple of minor hiccups on "It's So Easy." At least, everything was as right and good as possible with so many unidentifiable faces on stage.

That's the thing -- guitarists Robin Finck, Ron Thai and Richard Fortis are all very good players (though we could've done without three guitar soloists taking up so much of a 21/2-hour set). All three try damn hard, running about, striking the right rock poses, sneering ... all the standard stuff from Rockstar 101. But that in itself was strange, as GNR never had to try so hard. The new guys are doing their best, but when it comes down to it, they painfully lack by comparison. It takes three guys bashing about to equal the absolute coolness of Slash and Izzy, who never had to resort to punching strings and doing windmills to make a point.

The few new songs scattered about the set were short of memorable, lacking the band's former and very-underrated natural groove. Some songs dragged ("Knocking on Heaven's Door,") and some were appropriately epic, like "November Rain," though Slash was dully missed. The crowd didn't seem to care who was up there playing under the GNR banner, with monstrous sing-alongs all night, especially during "Patience."

Maybe old fans need to get over the fact that it's a new century for GNR. But until Rose and his new crew can forge an identity with a new record one of these years, Guns N' Roses won't be able to escape the shadow of its former greatness."

This article is the TRUTH  rant
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2006, 11:05:20 AM »

Sorry, I was pretty busy, i didn't read all the topic  Tongue

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2006, 11:08:31 AM »

That's a bunch of SHIT!! Sounds like some pissed off X-Wife... waa waa waa "and the family will never be the same" BANG!!! Tongue

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
hRob
Rocker

The Defender of the Opera

« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2006, 11:09:11 AM »

This article is the TRUTH? rant

Well it's Tony's truth. Not mine.

13/6/2006 Prague, 27/9/2010 Prague, 13/7/2012 Pie?ťany, 4/7/2017 Prague
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2006, 11:13:19 AM »

Why would the above review point out the fact that the band members were all in high-profile acts, only to refer to them as "unidentifiable faces" a few paragraphs down?

Either way, a lot of the points made in the review might be all too common across the country until GNR can finally shed the shackles of past glories by releasing the record and finally be judged on the merits of their own material.
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2006, 11:16:43 AM »

Sorry, I was pretty busy, i didn't read all the topic? Tongue

It's cool... Tongue

NOW GO HOME AND GET YOUR FUCKIN' SHINEBOX!!!
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2006, 11:20:28 AM »

Not a bad review, contradicted himself a few times, but is pretty accurate about most things. Untill CD is out, most only have the old band to use as the measuring stick.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2006, 11:20:33 AM »

one last thing before i go to bed. I know in the past i have critized the band for playing the same old songs but after tonight seeing peoples reactions to hearing their old favorites, it was one of the best things i have ever seen in my life. I saw old ass people dancing, little kids , black people, mexicans, it didnt matter everyone had a great time and i think its a bad idea to take off these classics. Not all people are super fans like us but they sure liked the "new" songs especially better. I wanted  to tell everyone there that i leaked the songs but  I didnt want to get kicked out.. Good night

DUDE, enough with your stupid fucking racist comments.  I don't need to hear about how funny it was to see black people selling weed, or blacks and mexicans dancing to gund n' roses.  what about stupid dumbass white kids (?) with bitch attitudes like yourself?  rant

and i don't know what these other people on here are thinking, but your review sucked.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:27:41 AM by nonlinear » Logged

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
dman1991
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2006, 11:26:37 AM »

one last thing before i go to bed. I know in the past i have critized the band for playing the same old songs but after tonight seeing peoples reactions to hearing their old favorites, it was one of the best things i have ever seen in my life. I saw old ass people dancing, little kids , black people, mexicans, it didnt matter everyone had a great time and i think its a bad idea to take off these classics. Not all people are super fans like us but they sure liked the "new" songs especially better. I wanted  to tell everyone there that i leaked the songs but  I didnt want to get kicked out.. Good night

DUDE, enough with your stupid fucking racist comments.  I don't need to hear about how funny it was to see black people selling weed, or blacks and mexicans dancing to gund n' roses.  what about stupid dumbass white kids (?) with bitch attitudes like yourself?  rant
correct me if im wrong but i saw no racism in his comments, he seemed to be enjoying how everyone of different colors, age , race was having a great time,  is that racist to you??
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2006, 11:30:44 AM »

yea, it is racist.  referring to 'black people' is a stereotype.  why did he have to point out that the people selling weed were black?  and why is it surprising to him that black people like to dance to GNR?  fucking racist in my book. 

and in case you don't know, this guy has a reputation for being a punk ass.

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
MrBrOwNsToNeR
Rocker

http://www.myspace.com/pellostone

« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2006, 11:31:21 AM »

This is exactly what i though too when I saw them (exept i though the new songs were great).

"CONCERT REVIEW
By Tony Hicks
CONTRA COSTA TIMES

T R U E

dman1991
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2006, 11:36:29 AM »

ok i did just see the black people comment, I guess thats racist, or maybe the guy just tells it like it is.  Anyway I dont wanna turn this thing into an argument, if you say hes been racist before then i guess ill take your word for it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: