Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 07:24:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  GNR, up to this point, are not a great band (in my opinion)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR, up to this point, are not a great band (in my opinion)  (Read 6174 times)
newgnr
Banned
Rocker

« on: September 13, 2006, 01:36:38 AM »

So what makes a great band? In my eyes, a great band is a band that is able play a GREAT live show.? If you can put on a stellar performance, regardless of the type of music you play you are a very good (or great) band.?

Now, while I have seen the GNR perform in 2006, I have to say they put on a great show.? However, Axl nor the band can pull of ANY of the new songs.? The old GNR were great because they were amazing live.? While GNR of 2006 can play the old songs well, that does not prove they are great.? In order for them to do that, they have to play THEIR song's extremely well; to this point they have not done that.?

So my take is that when CD comes out it will be an AWESOME record.? But if the band and Axl can not play those songs in a manner where the quality is high, I can not consider them a great band.

Hopefully they improve on their new songs for this upcoming tour.

Edited the subject.- Ignatius.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 06:23:48 AM by Ignatius » Logged
EccoTides
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 01:40:40 AM »

I think it's harder considering we've already heard demo cuts of Better and the other leaks...

The earlier new songs, like CD/Madagascar/The Blues, all sounded (and still sound) terrific because we don't have a solid studio cut to compare them to.

With the leaks, we've already heard what they're shooting for, so they sound a bit sloppier live than the older Chinese Democracy tunes.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 01:42:10 AM »

They've done a great job on The Blues, Madagascar, IRS, CD, and TWAT from when they played them.  Better is a harder song, I haven't seen a performance of it that I'd call great but they have in fact done a great job on the new songs
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 01:44:40 AM »

i think they play em' well, what the fuck are you talkin' about?HuhHuhHuhHuh?

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Chief
Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 01:47:32 AM »

One problem is that they haven't had all that much time ALL TOGETHER to play/rehearse most of the new material.

the old band had the same lineup for a long time so they got really tight.  once they get more touring under their belt the new stuff will sound better and better.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Axlative
Rocker

All Better now!

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 01:50:08 AM »

Now, while I have seen the GNR perform in 2006, I have to say they put on a great show.  However, Axl nor the band can pull of ANY of the new songs.  The old GNR were great because they were amazing live.  While GNR of 2006 can play the old songs well, that does not prove they are great.  In order for them to do that, they have to play THEIR song's extremely well; to this point they have not done that.

I don't get how some people hold an oversize halo over the old band. The probably were amazing live in AFD era with smaller, more intense club gigs (Can you say Ritz?), but as for the UYI tour... hell no. Not any better than the current line-up.

Axl sounds better than back then (on average at least, waaay better!). Ron, Robin or Richard have yet to have such off-nights as Slash had when too drunk. Brain & Frank have both outplayed Matt. Overall, I don't see the new band playing anything any worse than UYI era GNR.

If you're longing after AFD era... WAKE UP! It was over 15 years ago. You're comparing the new band to something even the previous incarnation with Axl, Slash & Duff wasn't!
newgnr
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 01:50:16 AM »

i think they play em' well, what the fuck are you talkin' about?HuhHuhHuhHuh?

Are you kidding me? The only song I think consistanly sounds decent is Madagascar. ?The rest...sloppy, Axl can't sing em...they are just not up to par. ?And even though we have not heard Madagascar or The Blues or ChinDem in studio, I KNOW that what we have heard so far live will not be as good as in the studio.

However, sometimes when they play the older songs live they ARE as good as the studio version, often times better.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 01:54:15 AM »

But if the band and Axl can not play those songs in a manner where the quality is high, I can not consider them a great band.

As I've stated before, I think BBF is like a ball and chain holding back the potential of these songs in a live setting. His BH renditions on IRS and Better are cosmic jokes. At some point, BH(or someone else?) will replace him. He obviously has no long term future with the band. When people email him and ask him about his short term future with the band, he doesn't respond.

The quality of the new songs will increase when/if BH or someone else enters the lineup. The rest of the band has done a great job. While Finck messes up on some of the old songs, he does a great job on his own material. Which is what counts in my opinion.

This is a great band. Stop comparing it to old GNR. Compare this band to what is out there today.

newgnr
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 01:57:55 AM »

This is a great band. Stop comparing it to old GNR. Compare this band to what is out there today.

I think I recall saying ANY band playing ANY type of music great live is a great band.  I'm not just comparing them to the old GNR, I'm comparing them to any band out there that puts on a great show....for instance Pearl Jam, but that is neither here nor there.
SumbodyElse
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 02:22:07 AM »

"GNR, up to this point, are not a great band"

What? are you crazy? Have you not seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abEbYPWkT9Q ? (Better Guns N' Roses-Rock AM Ring PROSHOT) This is amazing! - Appetite has now been shelved and will only be taken down for the purpose of nostalgia.
newgnr
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 02:23:09 AM »

I think I recall saying ANY band playing ANY type of music great live is a great band.? I'm not just comparing them to the old GNR, I'm comparing them to any band out there that puts on a great show....for instance Pearl Jam, but that is neither here nor there.

First, if Axl chooses to call this band Guns N' Roses, then any comparisons to the old line-up are completely fair and understandable.?

That said, you're being a little vague as to what you mean as "not great."? I've seen the new band 8 times now, and sure there are times when a couple of slips are made, but for the most part, the new songs kick ass live.? Axl sounds amazing on Better, Madagascar has always been solid, and to those who love "The Blues" (I don't), it always seems to come off well to me.? I've never heard TWAT live and I've heard that needs work (probably why they only played it twice between NYC and Europe).? I would say that the band sounds great during IRS, but unfortunately Axl's vocals can never compare to the demo version, as he has yet to hit that high note that you hear in the demo.? Chinese Democracy can sound a little sloppy at times, that I would agree with you.

Please be a little more specific.? In regards to Axl's vocals, that's just a matter of taste.? I do think Better kicks ass though, not sure where your head is there.

To answer your first question: To me a great band plays a great live show w/passion, energy, style, and performs an excellent version of their studio songs; CONSISTANLY. ?Now, just on the new songs, GNR have the passion, energy, and style, but the performance is sub-par. ?They have had 4 yrs to practice these new songs since 2002 and 3+ months to play them live and they still can not pull them off well. ?Don't kind yourself ppl, they don't sound good.

2. I think the only song where Axl's vocals are consistanly good is Madagascar. ?And I disagree on Better, while the band place it fine, Axl just can't nail it. ?
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 02:30:25 AM »

Axl's vocals on Better live have been ok. Some times terrible. But it's only one song. If tunes like The Blues, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy, turn out as good as the live performances, in the studio, I'd be really fucking happy.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
newgnr
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 02:39:46 AM »

"GNR, up to this point, are not a great band"

What? are you crazy? Have you not seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abEbYPWkT9Q ? (Better Guns N' Roses-Rock AM Ring PROSHOT) This is amazing! - Appetite has now been shelved and will only be taken down for the purpose of nostalgia.

Ok so i just watched RockAmRing Better and IRS.  For some reason I skipped over those two before, idk why.  You have proven me wrong on THIS instance.  For the majority of the time however, Better or IRS or TWAT or The Blues imo have not been good.

Oh and IRS from RockAmRing kicks fuckin ASS.  Holy shit.  I seriously could not believe it, after my whole thread being about how they can't play the new songs, and here I am floored at how awsome IRS was at this show. 

However, every other version of IRS, and most of the new song's I have heard have been aweful.  If they can play all the song's like they played IRS at RAR, I would consider them a great band. 

As you can see, i'm not trying to be negative here, i'm just stating what I observe, good or bad.
SumbodyElse
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 02:44:29 AM »

Fair enough. Now I have to go check out that version of IRS!
SumbodyElse
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 03:17:43 AM »

yup, Your Right, I just checked out the IRS clip - it Rocks!!!
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 03:23:00 AM »

So what makes a great band? In my eyes, a great band is a band that is able play a GREAT live show.  If you can put on a stellar performance, regardless of the type of music you play you are a very good (or great) band. 

Now, while I have seen the GNR perform in 2006, I have to say they put on a great show.  However, Axl nor the band can pull of ANY of the new songs.  The old GNR were great because they were amazing live.  While GNR of 2006 can play the old songs well, that does not prove they are great.  In order for them to do that, they have to play THEIR song's extremely well; to this point they have not done that. 

So my take is that when CD comes out it will be an AWESOME record.  But if the band and Axl can not play those songs in a manner where the quality is high, I can not consider them a great band.

Basically, you are right! Couldn't agree more (I wish I could say otherwise)

Lips Sealed? Cry? Lips Sealed

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 03:42:23 AM »

So what makes a great band? In my eyes, a great band is a band that is able play a GREAT live show.  If you can put on a stellar performance, regardless of the type of music you play you are a very good (or great) band. 

So my take is that when CD comes out it will be an AWESOME record.  But if the band and Axl can not play those songs in a manner where the quality is high, I can not consider them a great band.

so you are saying that they played not well the new songs? maybe, you can play them better?

I think they could play THEIR songs as they wont.... THEY maked them and the way to play as well.

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
anythinggoes
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 03:52:39 AM »

ok at the beggining of the tour i agree some of the new songs didnt gel correctly but if you hear them at Birmingham and nottingham the songs sounded fucking awesome i recorded irs from Birmingham and although its a Poor recording you can hear how fucking awesome that song is live. The same goes for Better the song just got better as the tour progressed i seem to remember the early 91 shows before the album release some songs live just didnt sound that good
crofty
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 04:07:15 AM »

so you are saying that they played not well the new songs? maybe, you can play them better?

I think they could play THEIR songs as they wont.... THEY maked them and the way to play as well.

I can't build a car on my own, but that doesn't make american cars not shit (when you see german cars you'll know what i mean.) That argument is old. I think the original poster made a good point. I disagree with him for the most part. though I do have to admit better when i saw it (hammersmith) was a little sketchy. I still think they're phenomenal though. Including on the new songs despite them being very much more studio orientated.
liesin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 04:36:42 AM »

I think the new band has been fantastic so far, the new songs totally rocked, but I have to admit that there's rome for improvments. It's all a matter of time and they need to get tight. It will come!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: