Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2024, 04:39:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228097 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  There is (almost) no competition
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There is (almost) no competition  (Read 17833 times)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2006, 01:15:02 PM »

You can count me into the group thats sick of this old vs new bullshit. Every thread(no matter how good or bad) always goes in that lame and stale direction. On Cd release day, every thread will be littered with "It aint AFD" bullshit.

Some people need to move on, go bitch at VR forums, post in Dead Horse, or start having their posts deleted by moderators because they are ruining threads about new GNR/Chinese Democracy.

you should read your posts from previous years...

Why? Because his opinion has changed? Does that make him a hypocrite? Or maybe the ability to adapt and continue to grow is an indicator that lofton29 might just be a human being?

People change their minds about things. If they didn't, we'd all be walking around with big 80's hair and wearing sports jackets with jeans.

Agreed. If you asked me what I thought about the current GNR lineup right after I watched RIR3 for the first time, my answer would be almost 90% different then it is today.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
masterdan
Banned
Rocker

No one can live in sorrow- -ask all your friends..

« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2006, 06:51:11 PM »

Funny... This is the SAME thing people said before Velvet Revolver released Contraband...

Well, all i'm saying is....you shouldn't set yourself up for disappointment, because you never know when some other group is gonna come out with "the next big thing" and completely overshadow GNR.  That's what happened to VR.  Do you think anyone was thinking that Green Day would out do Velvet Revolver?  No, but it was the next big thing, and it overshadowed Velvet Revolver.  When Green Day came out with American Idiot, it seemed everyone forgot about Velvet Revolver.  Who says that can't/won't happen to GNR?

Guns N' Roses @ the Bradley Center: 11/29 (CANCELLED)
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »

People knew about Velvet Revolver before Greenday came out with American Idiot? Undecided
madagas
« Reply #123 on: September 06, 2006, 07:02:26 PM »

Green Day the next big thing? Oh please.?Green Day is ALOT bigger than VR..even before American Idiot. They sold around 10 million copies of Dookie in the US alone. I am firmly convinced that 90% of Gnr fans are completely clueless. The topics and discussions on this board right now are beyond silly. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 07:08:13 PM by madagas » Logged
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2006, 07:14:13 PM »

Green Day the next big thing? Oh please.?Green Day is ALOT bigger than VR..even before American Idiot. They sold around 10 million copies of Dookie in the US alone. I am firmly convinced that 90% of Gnr fans are completely clueless. The topics and discussions on this board right now are beyond silly. Roll Eyes

yeah with Dookie, in 1994, but their last album barely hit Gold. American Idiot was a pretty signficant comeback and made them? huge again.  I never really thought about it but i guess they did take away from VR a bit.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2006, 07:40:34 PM »

The only competition that GNR have today is with the GNR from 1985-1994. THere is no competition today, sure, & GNR will go platinum, maybe 2 platinum (like VR), but can they exceed what the name used to do?

Axl was a GENIUS to keep the GNR name. He will be able to sell larger arenas, play to greater crowds, and do more than he would have with a new name or his own name solo. & yes, GNR has come a very very very long way from the disasters of 2000-2002. But still, they have a way to go before they can truly conquer the music scene like they did in 1988.
There is yet to be a song that will captivate a much wider audience outside the rock element. You can play WTTJ & PC & SCOM at bars & parties, and the music will have to be at that level (or even 1 song at that level) to bring GNR back to the top of the charts & make fans (somewhat) forget Slash.

VR could be a lil competition. their first record was one of the best selling / best producing / highest grossing album/tour rock record in 5 years & they got another lined up soon.

MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
masterdan
Banned
Rocker

No one can live in sorrow- -ask all your friends..

« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2006, 11:08:28 PM »

Ok...with that know, then.  Why did people still say that VR had no competition, hm? 

Guns N' Roses @ the Bradley Center: 11/29 (CANCELLED)
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2006, 10:17:53 AM »

Green Day the next big thing? Oh please. Green Day is ALOT bigger than VR..even before American Idiot. They sold around 10 million copies of Dookie in the US alone. I am firmly convinced that 90% of Gnr fans are completely clueless. The topics and discussions on this board right now are beyond silly. Roll Eyes

yeah with Dookie, in 1994, but their last album barely hit Gold. American Idiot was a pretty signficant comeback and made them  huge again.  I never really thought about it but i guess they did take away from VR a bit.

I'm my opinion VR took away from VR. They put out an average album then released a couple good singles, toured once and just dropped support of the album. They could've EASILY pushed that album to ALOT more success by just plain supporting it harder.

To me, thats what will push CD to big heights at least in the US; the band supporting the HELL out of it with repeated tours, singles, special appearances, etc.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2006, 11:02:32 AM »

Green Day the next big thing? Oh please. Green Day is ALOT bigger than VR..even before American Idiot. They sold around 10 million copies of Dookie in the US alone. I am firmly convinced that 90% of Gnr fans are completely clueless. The topics and discussions on this board right now are beyond silly. Roll Eyes

yeah with Dookie, in 1994, but their last album barely hit Gold. American Idiot was a pretty signficant comeback and made them? huge again.? I never really thought about it but i guess they did take away from VR a bit.

I'm my opinion VR took away from VR. They put out an average album then released a couple good singles, toured once and just dropped support of the album. They could've EASILY pushed that album to ALOT more success by just plain supporting it harder.

That and a different producer. If that album had a real raw, old-school rock production style, I believe that even I would like it better. It's way too glossy sounding, and the vocals are severely over-effected/multi-tracked in a lot of the songs. It really takes away from the immediacy, which in turn detracts from the album's "savior of rock" qualities.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2006, 12:09:02 PM »

yeah with Dookie, in 1994, but their last album barely hit Gold. American Idiot was a pretty signficant comeback and made them? huge again.? I never really thought about it but i guess they did take away from VR a bit.

That and a different producer. If that album had a real raw, old-school rock production style, I believe that even I would like it better. It's way too glossy sounding, and the vocals are severely over-effected/multi-tracked in a lot of the songs. It really takes away from the immediacy, which in turn detracts from the album's "savior of rock" qualities.

Yeah that would've helped too. But overall I don't think they even tried to promote it very well at all.

slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2006, 01:29:14 PM »

GNR Vs Beyonce  Roll Eyes

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2006, 03:31:11 AM »

you're just realising this hihi Plus you know every artist sucks besides axl rofl
newgnr
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2006, 03:47:32 AM »

The only competition that GNR have today is with the GNR from 1985-1994. THere is no competition today, sure, & GNR will go platinum, maybe 2 platinum (like VR), but can they exceed what the name used to do?

Axl was a GENIUS to keep the GNR name. He will be able to sell larger arenas, play to greater crowds, and do more than he would have with a new name or his own name solo. & yes, GNR has come a very very very long way from the disasters of 2000-2002. But still, they have a way to go before they can truly conquer the music scene like they did in 1988.
There is yet to be a song that will captivate a much wider audience outside the rock element. You can play WTTJ & PC & SCOM at bars & parties, and the music will have to be at that level (or even 1 song at that level) to bring GNR back to the top of the charts & make fans (somewhat) forget Slash.

VR could be a lil competition. their first record was one of the best selling / best producing / highest grossing album/tour rock record in 5 years & they got another lined up soon.

MNW

good. someone makes some real sense.
Bono
« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2006, 04:51:10 AM »

Funny... This is the SAME thing people said before Velvet Revolver released Contraband...

Well, all i'm saying is....you shouldn't set yourself up for disappointment, because you never know when some other group is gonna come out with "the next big thing" and completely overshadow GNR.? That's what happened to VR.? Do you think anyone was thinking that Green Day would out do Velvet Revolver?? No, but it was the next big thing, and it overshadowed Velvet Revolver.? When Green Day came out with American Idiot, it seemed everyone forgot about Velvet Revolver.? Who says that can't/won't happen to GNR?

Couldn't that posisbly happen with the new Killers album? When's that supposed to come out? I really like their new song(When you were Young). I mean if they come out with their album near or at the same time as CD I'm sure there will be loads of young kids who opt for the new Killers album rather than a new album from a band that was around before they were even born.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2006, 08:42:27 AM »

Well, all i'm saying is....you shouldn't set yourself up for disappointment, because you never know when some other group is gonna come out with "the next big thing" and completely overshadow GNR.? That's what happened to VR.? Do you think anyone was thinking that Green Day would out do Velvet Revolver?? No, but it was the next big thing, and it overshadowed Velvet Revolver.? When Green Day came out with American Idiot, it seemed everyone forgot about Velvet Revolver.? Who says that can't/won't happen to GNR?

The music itself and moreover the promotion is all that's going to make up the record buyers minds.

Couldn't that posisbly happen with the new Killers album? When's that supposed to come out? I really like their new song(When you were Young). I mean if they come out with their album near or at the same time as CD I'm sure there will be loads of young kids who opt for the new Killers album rather than a new album from a band that was around before they were even born.

« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2006, 01:37:09 PM »

Are the Killers even a particularly big band? I always got the impression that they're just "industry darling" types who get a lot of music press coverage but only have an audience among 13-year-old girls and a fraction of college students with a yearning for crappy 80s electro-pop.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2006, 01:46:45 PM »

No, The Killers aren't a "big" band at all yet.
"Big" bands are: U2, Rolling Stones, Oasis, GN'R (even if they are absolutely not as big as back in the days, not even close, anyway...), RHCP Metallica and maybe maybe Radiohead.

U2, Rolling Stones, Oasis, GN'R, RHCP and Metallica are the only bands that can sell out stadiums in the world and still sell million records.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 03:50:53 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Bono
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2006, 06:04:13 PM »

No, The Killers aren't a "big" band at all yet.
"Big" bands are: U2, Rolling Stones, Oasis, GN'R (even if they are absolutely not as big as back in the days, not even close, anyway...), RHCP Metallica and maybe maybe Radiohead.

U2, Rolling Stones, Oasis, GN'R, RHCP and Metallica are the only bands that can sell out stadiums in the world and still sell million records.

That's so wrong nesquick. Robbie Williams, Dave Mathews, AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Coldplay, just to name a few off the top of my head are bands that can sell millions of records as well as sell out Stadiums. I'd even dare say Shania Twain and Garth Brooks could still do it.?

Green Day was not a stadium band untill their last album so it's not far fetched to think that the Killers who had a critically aclaimed debute album which sold a fair amount could possibly steal some thunder from CD if their new album is released around the same time. People need to wake up and show some perspective here. Who's MTV gonna be more friendly towards? A new and up and coming band like The Killers or Axl's new version of Guns. I want Guns to succeed, I want the album to be great but I don't understand why so many of you are under the impression that Axl Rose can suddenly come out of seclusion and turn the entire music world upside down with one album that more likely than not will be ignored by alot of people. Do you guys really think Axl is? gonna shift the balance of power from Hip Hop back to rock off one album? There's now way.? I'm all for having high expectations regarding CD in terms of it's quality but this inability of people to see the reality of it all is quit annoying. Be fans enjoy the music but stop with the stuff about Gn'R blowing everything outta the water and changeing the music landscape. It's not gonna happen. Axl is too old and young people for the most part aren't gonna relate to it. To think there is no compition out there is neive. If Justin Timberlakes album came out on the same day as CD, Justin's album would outsell Gn'R. It's just the way it is.

That second paragraph is directed at nobody in paticular. Just makeing a general observation of peoples attitudes lately.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2006, 06:13:30 PM »

beeing "old" is not a problem to sell records and be popular: U2 are older than Axl and the teenagers love them, Madonna is 48 years old and all the teenagers love her. She even represents the famous fashion-cloths Company "H&M". It's not about age. It's all about 2 things:
- Music
- Promotion/Marketing

oh wait... Bob Dylan is 67 years old... his new album is #1 on the Billboard Charts?this week...

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 06:24:57 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Bono
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2006, 06:30:19 PM »

beeing "old" is not a problem to sell records and be popular: U2 are older than Axl and the teenagers love them, Madonna is 48 years old and all the teenagers love her. She even represents the famous fashion-cloths Company "H&M". It's not about age. It's all about 2 things:
- Music
- Promotion/Marketing

oh wait... Bob Dylan is 67 years old... his new album is #1 on the Billboard Charts?this week...

I gaurentee you it's not teenagers buying Bob Dylans album. It'd be the same if The Beatles or Elvis or Paul McCartney put out an album. thats' not hititng the young demographic. Lets' see how well Bob Dylan sustains this. It won't be a number one album for weeks on end like Green Day was. His core group of fasn will buy it and that'll be it. U2 and Madonna are different than Gn'R becasue they never went away. They've beena  mainstay so there's the recognizable factor going for them. You're right it is about music and promotion(Bob Dylan was promoted on ipod maybe that helped) but are we really gonna see Axl or Gn'R management promote this album the way it should be? I doubt it. Axl doesn't even want to talk about it in interviews and in fact he looks annoyed when people ask him about it.  Is Axl gonna do an ipod commercial? he  should but he won't.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: