Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2024, 04:33:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228097 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  There is (almost) no competition
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There is (almost) no competition  (Read 17829 times)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2006, 04:04:36 AM »

of course this is not "Guns N' Roses"... they will never be...Tommy even used to spit on this band when he was younger... everybody knows this is not GN'R... that they are probably here for the money... that some of them are mercenaries... most of old the fans obviously know that, but try to go beyond that, even if it's hard and even if this band is not as "sincere" as the old band and are probably a manufactured band at some point with Axl and a bunch of hired guys who can be fired at any momment and thrown out like socks. That's the way Axl wants his band now. He couldn't do it with Slash and Duff, because he was scared of them and also because Slash was as popular and as important as him.
Only 14 years old teenagers of newgnr.com think this is "Guns N' Roses" because they didn't know the old band.
But don't forget the music is the most important thing. Even if this is not "Guns N' Roses", at least they are good musicians.
You have to be the strangest character I've ever seen at a forum(yes, you top axlroseven). For about two years solid, you wrote love letters to Fortus and Finck, and now they're all just a bunch of "hired guys". You've raved on Tommy talking shit about BH, but knock him over some insult he said many years ago?

You basically went from a hardcore new GNR fan to an immature clone of mikegiuliana.

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2006, 04:13:21 AM »

No, No. Saying they are "hired guns" and probably mercenaries at some point doesn't ternish their musial abilities and their talent for me. It ternish the Guns N' Roses legacy, but not them as individual musicians. They are here because they are paid a load of cash by AXL. If tomorow Paul mc Cartney offers them twice more money they will leave GN'R and play for Mc Cartney. But it doesn't mean I don't like them as musicians and that I don't recognize their talent.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 06:37:11 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Evil Ash
Dude, they peed on your fucking rug
VIP

GnR is unstoppable, but delay-able ;)

« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2006, 04:14:09 AM »

just curious, what did tommy say about gnr then??

Like peeing clouds!
mdttkk
Rocker

« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2006, 04:21:14 AM »

there is huge competition for gnr if they release a new album, its like trying to put a knife through a rock.  heres what we have:

Side 1: Crappy rock/Emo/Rap/Hip hop/New reggae crap like sean paul, all of which are backed by the corporations (record companies, music channels and any other kind of advertising that i havent thought of)

Side 2: The lone ranger/S ?? Guns N' Roses.  having not released an album in such a long time, peoples hunger for slash and general hate towards axl because most see him as the reason the group broke up (which is pretty much true, i dont have anything against axl but things like this happen alot with creative differences and ego)

will GNR get played on music channels, and if so how often?  the viewers sure as hell dont decide what is played 24/7, atleast thats how it works here in canada with muchmusic and muchmoremusic.  I doubt GNR will be played on either of the channels, maybe they will get played on MTV but i dont watch that (nor would i want to seeing as its the same crap as in canada) and if they are indeed played for some weird reason they probly wont get played often or put number 1on countdowns. 

and also i disagree with the "mercenaries" part, they are indeed skilled hired musicians but they have been with the band for a long time now, and robin has written stuff, and other members too? im not too sure but i think all help write. 
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2006, 04:27:12 AM »

will GNR get played on music channels, and if so how often?  the viewers sure as hell dont decide what is played 24/7, atleast thats how it works here in canada with muchmusic and muchmoremusic.  I doubt GNR will be played on either of the channels, maybe they will get played on MTV but i dont watch that (nor would i want to seeing as its the same crap as in canada) and if they are indeed played for some weird reason they probly wont get played often or put number 1on countdowns. 

If the music videos are creative and/or the song is ridiculously catchy (like "Better" for instance), they will be played quite a bit on VH1, MTV, MTV2, etc. Having said that, I really couldn't care less about the music video aspect of all this. As long as the biggest rock stations across the country are playing GN'R then that's all that matters. Sure, GN'R can win over some pop fans with songs like "Better" or "Madagascar," but it's the true rock fans that GN'R needs to gain back. A lot of folks have given up on Axl and consider him a joke now. He needs to prove them wrong. He can do so by (1) releasing some singles and the album of course, and (2) getting tons of radio play from Eddie Trunk and other hosts across the country...Trunk definitely owes him after leaking "I.R.S." with Piazza not too long ago.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 04:33:38 AM by GNRfan2008 » Logged
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2006, 07:54:50 AM »

I don't think you're stupid for going to see this band..

At least I stick to what I enjoy, have some loyalty to what got me interested in gnr.. I'm just not a flavor of the day guy who just loves whoever axl hires.. I'm interested in hearing axl sing the same way I want to hear slash play a solo or izzy or duff... So it is possible for me to be interested in what axl's doing but not consider this gnr in any way shape or form.. The band could change again and I wouldn't care.. I would just know it's not gnr..

If that first part is true then why did you stand there at the pre-party and tell my wife, my friend, his girlfriend and I like 100 times how stupid we were for driving from Detroit to see the show?

As far as the last part goes, I guess this is quickly turning into a Dead Horse issue. The thing is, your friends Slash, Duff, Matt and Izzy didn't want to be in Guns N' Roses anymore and thats why they were replaced.

If CD comes out and you honestly like the music then guess what? That means your friends from the original lineup were wrong and this IS the direction GNR should go in. If it comes out and you honestly don't like the album as a whole then Axl is/was wrong.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
robinfinckfan
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2006, 08:45:43 AM »

At least I stick to what I enjoy, have some loyalty to what got me interested in gnr.. I'm just not a flavor of the day guy who just loves whoever axl hires.. I'm interested in hearing axl sing the same way I want to hear slash play a solo or izzy or duff... So it is possible for me to be interested in what axl's doing but not consider this gnr in any way shape or form.. The band could change again and I wouldn't care.. I would just know it's not gnr..

If that first part is true then why did you stand there at the pre-party and tell my wife, my friend, his girlfriend and I like 100 times how stupid we were for driving from Detroit to see the show?

As far as the last part goes, I guess this is quickly turning into a Dead Horse issue. The thing is, your friends Slash, Duff, Matt and Izzy didn't want to be in Guns N' Roses anymore and thats why they were replaced.

If CD comes out and you honestly like the music then guess what? That means your friends from the original lineup were wrong and this IS the direction GNR should go in. If it comes out and you honestly don't like the album as a whole then Axl is/was wrong.

Why is there ALWAYS a fuckin debate about old vs new? why?? Why can't everybody just let it go? It was 8-10 years ago people. i have been a fan since 88' i remember the line up changes , it's what it's always been. the one constant is W.Axl Rose. How is this a Axl Rose solo album? explain it.. How is Axl gonna be proved wrong, because one fucking person does not like it. The man is not going to sell his soul to please any of you. It's not about what you want or what you like. The old line up wanted to stick to a formula that would of sent the band nowhere, maybe in your eyes the band went nowhere, but for some reason I get it. I think the boys in Velvet Revolver FINALY GET IT, as there trying new things. Axl wanted to do different things with different records. Can you blame him? I don't.

They left axl they couldn't relate to him, didn't understand? what direction he wanted to go. basicaly they were close-minded rich musicians who didn't want to think outside the box. Slash's greatest solo EVER is a song he hated and a song axl loved hmmm... my personal opinion slash's greatest guitar work ever was on Estranged and who wrote that song? Yes, slash played the guitar on it and did a hell of a job but i don't hear great stuff from slash now. i hear what he does
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 08:47:42 AM by robinfinckfan » Logged
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2006, 08:53:40 AM »

You can count me into the group thats sick of this old vs new bullshit. Every thread(no matter how good or bad) always goes in that lame and stale direction. On Cd release day, every thread will be littered with "It aint AFD" bullshit.

Some people need to move on, go bitch at VR forums, post in Dead Horse, or start having their posts deleted by moderators because they are ruining threads about new GNR/Chinese Democracy.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2006, 08:58:13 AM »

No one ever said the band wasn't talented, no one ever said they didn't put a great album together, no one ever said they weren't going to make it.. I just said I don't view this as gnr and I find it hard at times when people call it gnr..

Mike, you know I think you are a cool guy and all, but this really gets old.  I understand you don't view this as GNR, but you need to stop letting it bug you when people refer to it as GNR, because this band is touring and releasing an album as Guns N Roses.  People are going to call it GNR, like it or not, its the name of the band.  Just because you dont see it that way and you dont like it doesn't mean all of these threads need to turn into 'This band shouldn't be called GNR'.  And thats exactly what is going on.   Not saying you shouldn't express your opinion on this, but thats what the topics in dead horse are there for.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2006, 08:59:41 AM »

You can count me into the group thats sick of this old vs new bullshit. Every thread(no matter how good or bad) always goes in that lame and stale direction. On Cd release day, every thread will be littered with "It aint AFD" bullshit.

Some people need to move on, go bitch at VR forums, post in Dead Horse, or start having their posts deleted by moderators because they are ruining threads about new GNR/Chinese Democracy.

so true james.   this kind of stuff made me leave the boards for a while before the leaks happened.  it gets so tiring.
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2006, 09:27:25 AM »

I'm not agreeing with that, but you can't really deny that it's true.

How are you not agreeing but not denying it's true??

I'm saying that this is obviously the viewpoint of some people, but I don't agree with it. Sorry for being unclear, but I wasn't trying to be wishy-washy or whatever.

The old vs. new debate will continue. Even if it gets exorcised from this forum by mods, etc., it will always play into any discussion of the band. I'm pulling for the new band to succeed, but you 86-93 version casts a long shadow - they were an iconic rock band that came up from the streets of LA and endured a lot of hardship attain that level of success. It's tough to compete with that kind of mythology.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2006, 10:20:27 AM »

@ mikegiuliana
actually you don't want to see the album come out this year, do you? Cos it's not by the GNR you cling to or else You just love being unhappy? confused I hear of that kind of people.

and also i disagree with the "mercenaries" part, they are indeed skilled hired musicians but they have been with the band for a long time now, and robin has written stuff, and other members too? im not too sure but i think all help write. 

t's a damn collaboration of the 8 musicians. Axl wants everyone in the band happy with the efforts. Tommy has told this over and over again and also he and other members have denied the "mercenaries" BS. Yet few people listen. no

I haven't waited for the album yet. my w8 starts when an official announcement is made. I won't be panicky then and I am not now. And even if not this year, I will be no way disappointed.

Regardless of my thoughts it's absolute that this year is it because Axl says so without additional words like hope, will, may, think or even should.

I've never doubted the honesty of the band members. from Sooner than later, in a dreads breadth and then in a braids length that is shorter than in 2002 to this absolute year.

If the 'realistic' 'diehard' fans ever listened to them, they would be realistic enough to accept that it's coming this time by now.

What they are saying is completely out of time.
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2006, 10:58:07 AM »

If it was really a situation where Axl was treating the rest of the band as mercenaries, he could find undiscovered people to help him and pay them a lot less.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2006, 11:08:15 AM »

Why is there ALWAYS a fuckin debate about old vs new? why?? Why can't everybody just let it go? It was 8-10 years ago people. i have been a fan since 88' i remember the line up changes , it's what it's always been. the one constant is W.Axl Rose. How is this a Axl Rose solo album? explain it.. How is Axl gonna be proved wrong, because one fucking person does not like it. The man is not going to sell his soul to please any of you. It's not about what you want or what you like. The old line up wanted to stick to a formula that would of sent the band nowhere, maybe in your eyes the band went nowhere, but for some reason I get it. I think the boys in Velvet Revolver FINALY GET IT, as there trying new things. Axl wanted to do different things with different records. Can you blame him? I don't.

They left axl they couldn't relate to him, didn't understand? what direction he wanted to go. basicaly they were close-minded rich musicians who didn't want to think outside the box. Slash's greatest solo EVER is a song he hated and a song axl loved hmmm... my personal opinion slash's greatest guitar work ever was on Estranged and who wrote that song? Yes, slash played the guitar on it and did a hell of a job but i don't hear great stuff from slash now. i hear what he does

Oh trust me, I agree. I didn't mean to throw any gas on that fire. I was more or less wondering why the same points get brought up over and over as well.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2006, 11:09:42 AM »

so true james.? ?this kind of stuff made me leave the boards for a while before the leaks happened.? it gets so tiring.

I think we're more or less saying the same thing here.  Smiley

Big Gun
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2006, 11:38:23 AM »

you should read your posts from previous years...

Please don?t put your life in the hands
Of a rock and roll band
And throw it all away
« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2006, 12:00:31 PM »

you should read your posts from previous years...

Why? Because his opinion has changed? Does that make him a hypocrite? Or maybe the ability to adapt and continue to grow is an indicator that lofton29 might just be a human being?

People change their minds about things. If they didn't, we'd all be walking around with big 80's hair and wearing sports jackets with jeans.
Big Gun
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2006, 12:29:24 PM »

of course he can change his mind but to tell people to stop bitchin or to go to vr forum i dont think that should come from him.

Please don?t put your life in the hands
Of a rock and roll band
And throw it all away
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2006, 12:46:34 PM »

Back OT, how can there be a thread like this about a band who hasn't put out this album for several years.. Aren't we jumping the gun a little bit? "There is almost no competition." This is like before NFL starts saying your team is going to go undefeated.. Let's be real, chances are this album will do good. That's it. That's it. Sell alot of albums, but nothing record setting?!!

If anything alot of people & older fans (and I'm not talking fans who browse these websites everyday) will take a while to warm up to it. We're older now, have family's, and don't care as much about what Axl Rose is up to. I think back to when I was a teenager & I bet half of my friends will never buy this album. I'm probably the only one who will buy it opening day. Back in 89 we all had Appetite.

But let's not jump the gun, how can we say "There is no competition" when bands like Audioslave, Army of Anyone, Metallica and VR are coming out shortly and Pearl Jam and RHCP just came out with solid albums. CD will sell about as many as most of those will. They're not going to walk thru the season 16-0. Heck, even the Eagles will lose once or twice this year!!? hihi
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 12:50:40 PM by pasnow » Logged
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2006, 12:52:04 PM »

to tell people to stop bitchin or to go to vr forum i dont think that should come from him.

Why not?
he basically likes all fellow fans, negative or positive.
By saying those he is urging that they should move on and be happy like he did.
He knows what being nagative is like.
I'd say he's just the right man for the role.

Go james go!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: