Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 19, 2024, 03:36:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228088 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Philosophy question of the month- September
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Philosophy question of the month- September  (Read 5183 times)
RichardNixon
« on: August 16, 2006, 09:19:58 PM »

Do you see life as being more tragic or absurd?

I just saw a brilliant recent Woody Allen movie "Melinda and Melinda." The film is told from the point of view of two people, one who sees life as absurd and one who sees life as tragic. The movie features two sets of actors, one for a romantic comedy and one for a drama, but it's the same story. The scenes keep going back and forth.

So, do you see life as being more tragic or absurd?
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 10:36:51 AM »

neither to be honest.

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 11:06:51 AM »

If I had to choose...........absurd.

miss bomb
Rocker

nanook

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 11:14:08 AM »

absurd.

tragic for the loss of life, for the way people abuse themselves, tragic that people are so far past the stage of materialism. these tragedies are absurd!

7.6.6,11.6.6,29.7.6x2,10.11.6
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 04:37:14 PM »

Neither. I look at life as being a necessary test all of us have to go through.
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 04:40:40 PM »

Life IS absurd, we FEEL it is tragic peace
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 04:45:27 PM »

Oh come on guys, read the question.

So, do you see life as being more tragic or absurd?

Absurd. Because, for me at least, I feel that tragedy can fall under, in as far as it is in essence, part of the absurd, while the absurd cannot be defined as tragic, regardless of mood. There are times when I can look at tragedy, not with indifference, but from varying perspectives with a range of wonder and perplextion. I cannot place the absurd under the bracket of tragedy regardless of my mood because it doesn't, the connection between the two goes in only one direction.

But maybe it becomes easier for somebody like me, who is able to take a step back and consider tragedy with a view to the absurd; when you are viewing most of what comprises your idea of tragedy, outside of Shakespeare, through the media or the arts then you are not engaging with it in a way that you can fully relate or even understand, outside of personal tragedy of course. With regards to major tragedy it is as if you have become little more than a spectator, and I cannot yet work out whether that is a good thing or not, if it gives any more, or any less, validity to an opinion held on the subject.

... I need to see that movie.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 04:51:45 PM by Jim » Logged

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
RichardNixon
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 07:27:51 PM »

Absurd.

Look at it this way...some people slave away at shit jobs and make minimum wage, while others make 1000 times that from stocks alone, doing nothing. If that's not absurd I don't know what is.
sesor
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 08:22:52 PM »

life is tragically absurd. its absurd that the human race thinks it is important when we're really just like insects infesting the earth. just like a disease or parasite destroying our home. haha i sound like a hippy ^.^ anyway, but absurd that we cant do anything abou it,its in our nature.

I Saw The Storm Gettin' Closer, And The Waves They Get So High, Seems Everything I Used To Know Here...Why Must It Drift Away And Die?
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 09:04:20 PM »

neither

i'd say it is complicated, absurd if you look at it one way only, tragic if you let yourself feel this way.

Nothing to say
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 12:51:40 PM »

Agreed with Jessica it's tragic if you let yourself feel that way, Absurd perhaps but not in it's entire but between those 2 I stay with Absurd.

No man can be my equal
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 12:58:40 PM »

Absurd.

Look at it this way...some people slave away at shit jobs and make minimum wage, while others make 1000 times that from stocks alone, doing nothing. If that's not absurd I don't know what is.

Some people choose to get an education and some people don't.

If you don't have an education, you probably won't be able to get a good job.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 01:22:50 PM »

Never been to Ecuador have you?, Here if you know the Owner of the enterprise you're in even though you are a retarded. Sad but true  Undecided

No man can be my equal
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 01:41:38 PM »

same everywhere dick p

It's easier to work if you know someone personally or if you know someone who knows someone who knows someone............................................................

Wznt the truth ?

I'm gonna have to ask mycousin if she can help me get work..and

I HAVE HAD AN EDUCATION AND HAVE YEARS OF GOOD WORK ON MY CURICULUM VITAE ..

everyone in develloped countried have an education ( almost) so why are there so many out of a job@MARKUS

Nothing to say
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 01:58:14 PM »

Why are there so many out of a job?

Um, well I can't really answer that question with one single sentence but last I checked the unemployment rate wasn't that high. And, I'm talking about the u.s., not any other countries.
RichardNixon
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 05:43:51 PM »

Absurd.

That's totally absurd. Most people who get an education still will not leave their SES. The top one percent, on the other hand, continue to make millions annually, doing virtually nothing.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 05:47:57 PM »

Absurd.

That's totally absurd. Most people who get an education still will not leave their SES. The top one percent, on the other hand, continue to make millions annually, doing virtually nothing.

No, it's not.

I know, very well, how people who don't have an education (common on my mom's side of the family) cannot get good jobs.
VivaLaResistance
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 05:49:34 PM »

I think we can't put life in two categories, that's absurd ?Wink. And how should we say that life's tragic or absurd, we have nothing we can match with it.

Peace!
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2006, 06:07:57 PM »

No, it's not.

I know, very well, how people who don't have an education (common on my mom's side of the family) cannot get good jobs.

Markus, you make it sound like a straight line choice. You have to take into consideration not only financial factors (especially in your country!) but also background encouragement and how ideas of education are instilled in the individual!, opinion of education is hugely dependant on background, not only of your family, but also of your peers and the part of society that is specific to YOU! It isn't a question of,

do you want to be educated? Not only do not all people have the same benefits as others, but not everybody is given equal perspective either.

That's such a middle class attitude.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 06:10:34 PM by Jim » Logged

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
RichardNixon
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2006, 06:10:41 PM »

I have a BA and it's worthless. Might as well have learned a trade.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: