Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 07:04:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Neemo's Greatest Movie of All-Time Survivor (Rules & Discussion Thread)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Neemo's Greatest Movie of All-Time Survivor (Rules & Discussion Thread)  (Read 2346 times)
Neemo
Legend

« on: July 13, 2006, 02:09:01 PM »

OK, following on the heels of the Greatest Album Survivor I had several requests to start another survivor thread, a couple people thought maybe a movie survivor would be fun so over the last week or so I've posted way too many threads to try and iron out a format, and the response has been great so let's go!!

Here is the outline (Modified format from the Album Survivor which was derived from Ignatus' Frontman survivor peace )

First off...based on an informal vote I've decided to go with Decades and Genres to break this bad boy down.

the decades will be:

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's and beyond

The Genres will be:

Action/Adventure
Comedy
Drama
Horror

The way that I will determine if a movie is eligible for each Genre or Decade is by using IMDB.? For ease of access (and to jog memories) I'll supply a link at the beginning of each nomination thread:

http://www.imdb.com/chart/2000s
http://www.imdb.com/chart/1990s
http://www.imdb.com/chart/1980s
http://www.imdb.com/chart/1970s
http://www.imdb.com/chart/1960s

If (and only if) a movie doesn't contain at least one of the genres listed then I'll use sub-genres to determine where it qualifies:

the classification of the Sub Genre's are as follows:

Action/Adventure (Animation; Family; Fantasy; Sci-Fi; Sport; War; Western)

Comedy (stands alone)

Drama (Biography, Crime; Film-Noir; History; Music; Musical; Mystery; News; Romance)

Horror (Thriller)

(Note: ....Animation and sci-fi movies come in a wide variety of genres...if it is a horror/anime/sci-fi - then it's a horror...comedy/sci-fi - nominate in comedy....anime/action/fantasy....it's action)

By the same turn there are movies that are listed as having multiple genres...those are allowed to be nominated in each category that they fall under.? (Action/Comedy for example qualify as both an Action and a Comedy)

I'll start with Action/Adventure flicks in the 2000's.

So for the Nominations thread, just supply a list of the 10 movies, from the decade and genre listed, that you think should be considered to enter the Best Movie of all Time Survivor. Once you cast the votes, I'll then provide the list with the most voted Movies from the appropriate decade/genre based on your votes. We will then vote off our least favorite (as done in the Frontman and Album survivors) to get to the top 3 of each decade/genre. We will then move to the 90's, and so on and so forth. once we get a top 3 for each category then we will determine the top 2 movies of all time for each genre.

once those 8 are determined then we will go one by one until we have a sole survivor

Rules.-

1.- As said, we all make the list. Majority wins. (I'm voting in this one Tongue )

2.- We can each nominate only 10 movies per category. That's all. If you can't come up with 10, just supply as many as you can. The purpose of these nominations is to have as many people involved as possible. If you supply more than 10 I take into account only the first 10 you type

3.- If a movie advances in one round then it is ineligble for further rounds.

4.- Orig release dates only....no special editions and redux's

5.- Documentaries or anything resembling them are not going to be included in this Survivor

6.- Live concerts or stand-up comedies....not allowed

7.- Television shows...not allowed

Once we start voting movies off we'll undoubtably come up with a tie here or there...after a round of voting, if two or more movies are tied, the tiebreakers will go as followed:

1. I will go by past votes in other rounds. (most previous votes is eliminated)
2. if they are still tied, i will go by Number of nominations (more nominations advances)
3. if they are still tied I will go by whether or not i nominated the album (if i got it in my list then it stays)
4. if there is still a tie i will do a mini-thread

I think that's all.

If any of you have any suggestions or comments, feel free to pm me or post them here. (everything is still open for discussion, most importantly the Sci-Fi genre and exactly how many decades we'll go with)

Also we can use this thread to discuss the events as they unfold...I'll bump it as it is pushed off page 1
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 02:45:45 PM by Neemo » Logged

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 06:35:31 AM »

Those imdb lists are only like top 50, and you can't combine, e.g. at the mo i can see a top 50 of 2000 list or a top 50 action or adventure list....but there for ALL time, my memory is, well, shit, is there anywhere you can get a list of say all the action/adventure films released since 2000 Cheesy
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 09:14:08 AM »

Those imdb lists are only like top 50, and you can't combine, e.g. at the mo i can see a top 50 of 2000 list or a top 50 action or adventure list....but there for ALL time, my memory is, well, shit, is there anywhere you can get a list of say all the action/adventure films released since 2000 Cheesy

I haven't been able to find somthing like that....but if you scroll down the IMDB site on the left there is a list that says votes by Genre....then click that and you get the top 50 action or whatever movies....also if you click on a movie you like and scroll to the bottom there is a "if you like this then you may also like...." feature which may give you a better place to start....sorry....if anybody can find a list like stoned is talking about then please post ok

also as people add nominations feel free to change your lists if something great pops up that you forgot...this is why I made it decades and genres cuz there are so many movies it's easy to over look some of the better ones

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 09:21:49 AM »

^ Cool , no worries i just have a shit memory.  I just felt most people's lists had, well, too many 'obvious' ones if you know what i mean......

....if you don't...well....i'll explain when i'm less tired Cheesy
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 02:23:34 PM »

I'm assuming sequels and trilogies don't have to be nominated separately...

actually yeah i was gonna do each movie as it's own entity Wink
You should definately do it like that.

For instance i nominated Spider-Man 2 since it's great but i really find the first boring......
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 03:43:01 PM »

I'm assuming sequels and trilogies don't have to be nominated separately...

actually yeah i was gonna do each movie as it's own entity Wink
You should definately do it like that.

For instance i nominated Spider-Man 2 since it's great but i really find the first boring......

yea it happens many times, i like the last indianjones the best of the bunch...2 sucks IMO and empire is by far the best of those movies...terminator and T2 and T3 were all in different decades too hihi so yeah...that's why i was gonna consider each movie is it's own

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 06:03:14 PM »

yeah a few big name movies didn't make it

Spider-man 2, Batman returns, Starwars

but i was really disappointed by SW 2 and 3 anyway so i don't care much....i mean they tricked him into being evil  wtf

Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 06:04:37 PM »

Aye. Nothing like a good Penguin showdown.

... Hold on a minute.........

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 10:21:59 AM »

where's the suvivor picture? bring it back!! rant hihi

back by popular demand Cheesy ....well one demand Undecided ....actually it was more of a request hihi

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 01:59:07 PM »

So for the Nominations thread, just supply a list of the 10 movies, from the decade and genre listed, that you think should be considered to enter the Best Movie of all Time Survivor. Once you cast the votes, I'll then provide the list with the most voted Movies from the appropriate decade/genre based on your votes. We will then vote off our least favorite (as done in the Frontman and Album survivors) to get to the top 3 of each decade/genre. We will then move to the 90's, and so on and so forth. once we get a top 3 for each category then we will determine the top 2 movies of all time for each genre.

do you think we should do the top 2 from each genre or the top 2 from each decade?

I'm thinking that the top Decade movies might be better than top genre movies

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 01:05:15 PM »

I dont participate in these games cause the way the nominations are made totally fuck these games up.

In the album survivor u had 4 fuckin led zepplin albums and in this movie survivor u have 3 Lord of the rings movies.

This is retarded in my opinion.

no way can all three LOTR movies be on this list.

Just messes the entire game up.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 01:30:32 PM »

I dont participate in these games cause the way the nominations are made totally fuck these games up.

In the album survivor u had 4 fuckin led zepplin albums and in this movie survivor u have 3 Lord of the rings movies.

This is retarded in my opinion.

no way can all three LOTR movies be on this list.

Just messes the entire game up.

well gimme some advice D... Sad if more people nominate those movies then what can ya do? in the end it'll work out, we just gotta get through these first genre rounds befoer the real picture develops yes

as to the presence of zeppelin in the last survivor....3 out of seven but only one in the top 3 Wink

I was actually surprised at the asbsence of Ozzy and Floyd in the finals for that Undecided

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 03:01:50 PM »

I dont participate in these games

hihi  Tongue

Bourne Identity SUcks come on!!
The Incredibles
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 03:59:34 PM »

I wish you had started with an earlier decade. All these movies suck. hihi

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 04:06:35 PM »

I wish you had started with an earlier decade. All these movies suck. hihi

hihi then things can only get better

I think I've decided to determine the top of each decade instead of each genre...does anybody care? lol

or do people like the idea of comparing a 90's drama to a 70's drama etc.

supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 04:12:58 PM »

maybe you should get the top of each genre in the big final
take the first 2 from each decade with 2 wild cards and get them in the genre final
then get the top2 from each genre in the big final

thanks for getting the picture back hihi beer

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 08:56:46 PM »

Just sayin The Lord Of the Rings fanboys are gonna make sure one of these wins so there really is no drama.

When one movie franchise gets all 3 films in, u know one is gonna win so why even play?

NO Spiderman or Spiderman 2?

U cant have a movie survivor of the 21st century and not have at least one of the Spiderman films.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »

You can. Spiderman 2 is the only of the two movies with any plausible argument for inclusion, Spiderman was quality, I enjoyed it, but it had clear flaws.

In my own mind, due to how poor movies that fall into this category have been in this decade, every LOTR film deserves to be there. If we were doing by the Trilogy then I would have voted for it is a trilogy, but we're not. LOTR was one of the biggest achievements in film, and in own mind, Donnie boy, this contest will be a joke if it is not one of those movies that wins this particular round, given how poor the quality of the competition is.  Tongue

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 03:17:13 PM »

yeah LOTR is great...each movie is a fantastic acheivement in my eyes...although i didn't care much for rotk...too long....

I fucking hated spiderman...both of em....actually XMen i thought shoulda made it....but this type of thing is a consensus topic...the majority wins...just cuz say ZepIV won dones't mean it has to be your personal favorite...but the majority of people that voted it is their fav or one of their top albums.

this movie survivor will be the same...by the time the end rolls around there will be a good solid top 5 I'm sure...

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 09:16:23 AM »

so after this round we'll vote off one more then move on to Comedy, Drama or Horror? I was just gonna stay alphabetical and do Comedy.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: