Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 09:07:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  boring solos, long breaks, bad press and audience running away
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: boring solos, long breaks, bad press and audience running away  (Read 15198 times)
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« on: July 01, 2006, 04:57:19 AM »

sorry, i know that this has been discussed several times, but i think it's worth a thread... especially because so many people make up their mind about it.

so my simple thesis concerning this topic:

if axl got rid of the solos AND the long breaks between the songs, press reviews would be different, people would talk differently about new gnr... it's not only the journalists that get bored during the shows. just watch the audience, as many of you have witnessed and reported in this forum... especially at festivals (i was at nova rock and people, that were fascinated throughout the first few songs, finally started moving away, i swear i had so much space in the front section, it was like an exodus).
the sad thing is that the audience basically is into all songs (in the older ones more than in the new ones) and that the show would be fantastic if axl didn't kill all flow and energy by presenting the new guys in that soloing-way. instead of the non diehard fans digging the new band, they turn against them (or to the bar or the way home). IT'S SUCH A GREAT CHANCE THAT AXL IS MISSING RIGHT NOW, cause this band is really, really good. the concerts have the potential to blow people away if they make it half an hour shorter, to get people to accept this version of guns. but instead they make people that have paid a lot of money angry or simply disappoint them (and it's not just one solo: we have the breaks, got dizzys solo, two robin solos, sometimes drum solo, bumblefoot solo + solo-don't cry, "beautiful" duet, fortus solo and the inbetween jams that are always the same recurring theme). guitar-practice is a thing to do at home, low-fi karaoke not the same thing as a concert...

ps: axl wouldn't change the show even if all gnr fans hated the show. if you critizice him, he simply keeps doing what he does but more excessively (just to do the opposite).

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
anythinggoes
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 05:03:19 AM »

yeah good name for you

look this is a GNR show even the old band had long solos Just watch the Tokyo video and Matts Drum solo (how fucking long)and i bet people complained then there just wasnt the avenues to do it so easily

The solos are cool good photo opps and a time to text updates as well

One day it will be nice to see a post on people praising GNR whats with all the fucking negativity from newbies
Origen
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 05:09:34 AM »

I know some of you like to think Axl is still a young frontman, but here's the true, YOUR LIVING IN THE PAST. People change, people age, fact, there is nothink you can do about it. My point being Axl needs the solo break to get his energy back, he's 44 year old he can't stomp around on stage like he used to (and if you think he can I feel sorry for you)

I don't like all the solos either, I bitch about them quite alot. But it's either solos+oxygen break for Axl or show ending after 10 songs with Axl being out of breathe/enerhy for half of them.
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 05:12:23 AM »

during the uyi tour they had some solos in the middle of the show - and (despite the drum solo ?) not in every show, that's a huge difference.

i have seen gnr 2 times during this tour. and i tell you that it is heartbreaking when people start to get into the show and you think that gnr is back and then - from the first solo on - all the energy thas has been built up disappears almost until the encores. when people just stand there bored (cause there are sooo many solos and pauses) it's a shame, not a propper way to rule the (music)world again.

and just to get things straight. the fact that i don't post all of the time doesn't make me new to this board.

anythinggoes
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 05:17:53 AM »

and just to get things straight. the fact that i don't post all of the time doesn't make me new to this board.

fair point sorry

i know what you mean ive been to 3 myselfand i see the same thing but i think there are quite a few ands that do solos and stuff the reason people are not jumping around and singing is because there is nothing to sing so all you can do is listen have a  look around take in the scene have a piss grab a drink quick and it does stop you getting fucking crushed at the front for 5 mins which i know is a big relief 
Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 05:54:43 AM »

yeah good name for you

rofl hihi

-PEACE-

makemyday
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 06:08:21 AM »

Instead of the solos/breaks maybe it would be a good idea for Izzy to come and sing some Rolling Stones tunes  Grin

Foxtrot
Uniform
Charlie
Kilo
estranged2006
Banned
Rocker

Barbara K Bodine is a Fucking Whore. Traitor

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 06:10:58 AM »

axl needs to have a brake so that he can get his air mask. he cant run around anymore like before and sing so hard. he needs his air breather.  thats why he have so many stupid long solos. he is not like the same as before!
Olorin
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 06:28:57 AM »

If Axl needs a break, then the band should play songs together with someone else on vocals.

Just because GN'R had solos back in the old days, doesnt mean that it is acceptable. GNR were pillored by press and fans for being boring back then too. Guitar solos and drum solos are a poor return for your money.
Slash could get away with a solo at a GNR concert because he is Slash, a fucking guitar hero and GNR God. But nevertheless solos are self indulgant durge.

I thought Buckethead had some good ideas for his solo spots all the same, his solos were quite fun and seemed to keep the audience interested. I mean, Star Wars, c'mon, that was genious Grin
Big Sur Moon was golden also.
Shirell
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 07:36:24 AM »

Okay, don't shoot me but, most of the solos I actually liked. I saw both Download and Hammersmith, I thought the solos (except for one) were well received.  And, not everyone wants to be jumping up and down like their on a pogo stick all night. The down time is welcome for some of us.  The solos by Dizzy and Richard were stand out for me at both shows.
Micky.Fegz
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 07:42:59 AM »

i agree the solo's kill the show !!

at download people were just booing throughout the solo's and i got pissed off because as people have said everyone was really into it at first then as soon as they do a solo bit everyone just gets fed up!!

maybe just let bbf do his don't cry that seems to get the best reception!!

now we all know better Wink

www.myspace.com/bulletsforteeth
Martina
Headliner

What I thought was beautiful...

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 07:49:30 AM »

I was thinking,It would be cool if they cover some song,and ron,tommy,or robin sing instead of axl,they have good voice.
some song which crowd will enjoy,and sing along.some famous rock song instead of solos.I wasnt at any gnr concert and dont know if they(solos) are boring,but gudging revirews,they are.

or they can play just instrumental of some songs,so only crowd sings.

guess you understand what I want to say Undecided

''hey dude,you wanna go home?,i say,do you wanna go home?,if you do,we will gladly help you'' -axl rose, melbourne 1988
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 07:55:08 AM »

I think the solos serve as an introduction to this band. Not too many people have seen this band before.

Now they let all guitarists have their moment in the spotlight. Not just Axl.

This is nothing new if you've followed GN'R. They used to let Izzy and Gilby do the intro to Patience. Steven and Matt had drum solos. Duff used to play drums and jam with Matt....

They've done this before.

But like with everything, people today seem so spoiled. Everything has to be on time, everything needs to happen now, you have to get info as it happens and not one hour later or people will freak out.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bravefish
Rocker

Live and Let Die

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 08:20:37 AM »

Solos are needed IMO they give the rest of the band a time to shine when the spotlight is on AXL.

Although I think GNR have got it wrong at the moment. Before the solos were part of something ie Voodoo before and after Civil war melted in with the song. Now it seems like stop...time...solo...stop....song. Axl needs to get the solos more involved...the only one that is maybe doing this is the Blues with Dizzy.

I would like to see Robin's 2 solos dropped...Fortus's solo can stay (that gives rob a chance to shine too) and Dont cry by itself. Then a Ron solo which starts a song maybe before KOHD or something like the old band used to!!!

Fish
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2006, 08:43:56 AM »

I would like to see Robin's 2 solos dropped...

No fucking way. The fact that he's playing Finlandia alone, means that his solo needs to stay!  rant

I hope he plays it in Helsinki next week.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bravefish
Rocker

Live and Let Die

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2006, 08:45:18 AM »

Just opinion Jarmo, from the fact that in both Hammersmith and Downloads people were talking bored during his solos...and from a guitar player's point of view it didnt do anything for me. But if you like the solos then enjoy...just my opinion dude Tongue

Fish
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2006, 09:03:03 AM »

the point is that - if axl wants solos - you have to integrate them in the set in a better way. plus: the solos stop the flow, so you can't make those long pauses (light goes out, nothing happens or maybe a jam) between the songs AND play all the long solos...

Bravefish
Rocker

Live and Let Die

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2006, 09:03:25 AM »

the point is that - if axl wants solos - you have to integrate them in the set in a better way. plus: the solos stop the flow, so you can't make those long pauses (light goes out, nothing happens or maybe a jam) between the songs AND play all the long solos...

Exactly!

Fish
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2006, 09:09:58 AM »

The solos give the audience a chance to rest too.  If you don't want to hear the solos you can go to the bathroom, the concession stand and not miss a song.  Does it kill the flow of the concert a little bit?  Sure.  I know they're not everyone's cup of tea.  I can deal with them though if it leads to a 2 hour plus show.  I saw Def Leppard the other night and they played maybe one guitar solo as an intro to the song.  The last 6 songs or so were back to back with no breaks in between.  It was great don't get me wrong.  But the show was over in under 90 minutes.  It's all a matter of preference I guess.  And I doubt the reviews would be better if they dropped the solos.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2006, 09:13:44 AM »

well I like the solos and I like the breaks... it is not just Axl show, it is GNR show... so let the guys play Wink. Also to all people shitting on Robin and praising Richard there is a tip for you, look here:

http://www.4tus.com/ > pics > 2006 on tour

Get It?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: