Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 11:24:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Physical Graffiti / Chinese Democracy
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Physical Graffiti / Chinese Democracy  (Read 3206 times)
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« on: June 20, 2006, 12:36:19 PM »

Listening to Physical Graffiti recently and realizing what a brilliant album that was. The thing I noticed more than anything else was that a lot of the songs showcase different styles musically, and they were really pushing the envelope with the diversity on it.

Based on the what we think will surface on Democracy, I find some similarities in the diversity there as well. Between TWAT, Better, IRS, Maddy, I think you've got some some pretty different types of styles going on there as well. I never really sat down and thought about that untill I was listening to Graffiti, but it does seem to be headed down that road, at least from what we've been allowed to hear thus far, and in my opinion that would be a pretty fucking cool thing - smoking
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 12:38:00 PM »

Yep, I agree with you. Actually I think Rolling Stone once referred to it as sounding like GN'R's Physical Graffitti.
zakas80
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 01:27:26 PM »

that's a great point you bring up, and that would be awesome as physical graffiti is one of my all time favorite albums!  im gonna give a listen too it now

Its what used to be's not there for me
And oughta find someone that belonged insane like i do
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 01:32:24 PM »

i've been saying this for years. i'd be a very happy man if it was true.

and i think the quote was from moby who said "it sounds like physical graffitti mixed by trent reznor."
madagas
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 01:39:40 PM »

Not Moby...David Wild Rolling Stone Jan 2000
"Imagine Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti remixed by Beck and Trent Reznor, and you'll have some sense of Axl's new sound.

Song after song combines the edgy hard rock force and pop smarts of vintage Guns N Roses with surprisingly modern and ambitious music textures. In addition to the album's almost grungy title track, tentative song titles include ''Catcher in the Rye,'' ''I.R.S,'' ''The Blues'' and ''TWAT,'' which he says stands for ''there was a time.''

Also Jim Barber May 11th 2000 Rolling Stone

People who have heard the new music say it sounds fantastic. "The tracks reminded me of the best moments of Seventies Pink Floyd or later Led Zeppelin", says Jim Barber, a former Geffen A&R executive who worked on the project. "There's nothing out there right now that has that kind of scope. Axl hasn't spent the last several years struggling to write Use Your Illusion over again." In the estimation of guitarist Zakk Wylde, who sat in with the new band a few times, "Axl is one fucking smart guy."

« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 01:42:29 PM by madagas » Logged
zakas80
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 01:47:10 PM »

that's a great point you bring up, and that would be awesome as physical graffiti is one of my all time favorite albums! ?im gonna give a listen too it now

Its what used to be's not there for me
And oughta find someone that belonged insane like i do
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 01:52:28 PM »

Ive also heard that also ok

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
highend88
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 01:55:34 PM »

Yeah... bring on Chinese Democracy..

I get up around seven
Get outta bed around nine
And I don't worry about nothin' no
'Cause worrin's a waste of my fuckin time
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 02:02:24 PM »

Not Moby...David Wild Rolling Stone Jan 2000
"Imagine Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti remixed by Beck and Trent Reznor, and you'll have some sense of Axl's new sound.

Song after song combines the edgy hard rock force and pop smarts of vintage Guns N Roses with surprisingly modern and ambitious music textures. In addition to the album's almost grungy title track, tentative song titles include ''Catcher in the Rye,'' ''I.R.S,'' ''The Blues'' and ''TWAT,'' which he says stands for ''there was a time.''

Also Jim Barber May 11th 2000 Rolling Stone

People who have heard the new music say it sounds fantastic. "The tracks reminded me of the best moments of Seventies Pink Floyd or later Led Zeppelin", says Jim Barber, a former Geffen A&R executive who worked on the project. "There's nothing out there right now that has that kind of scope. Axl hasn't spent the last several years struggling to write Use Your Illusion over again." In the estimation of guitarist Zakk Wylde, who sat in with the new band a few times, "Axl is one fucking smart guy."

It is quite impressive that just about anyone who has heard some of, or worked with Axl on Democracy have nothing but the kindest things to say about the music
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 02:07:12 PM »

IRS will be Stairway of the 21st century. Cool

Chris Pittman is John Paul Jones (on synth) of Chinese Democracy/GNR.  smoking

Zeppelin in John Paul Jones' words.

Question: What do you think were the unique qualities that Zeppelin brought to rock?
JPJ: Musicality
       diversity
       power
       let's see... a good stage show and commitment!

FortusGNR21
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 03:28:12 PM »

Listening to Physical Graffiti recently and realizing what a brilliant album that was. The thing I noticed more than anything else was that a lot of the songs showcase different styles musically, and they were really pushing the envelope with the diversity on it.

Based on the what we think will surface on Democracy, I find some similarities in the diversity there as well. Between TWAT, Better, IRS, Maddy, I think you've got some some pretty different types of styles going on there as well. I never really sat down and thought about that untill I was listening to Graffiti, but it does seem to be headed down that road, at least from what we've been allowed to hear thus far, and in my opinion that would be a pretty fucking cool thing - smoking

I completely agree dude, I remember saying in another thread that I thought Chinese Democracy could well be GN'R version of Physical Graffiti, in that it seems that the new music is coming from all sorts of places, blues, electronic, straight hard rock etc etc. Good Post man!   ok

I get up around 7, get outta bed around 9, and I don't worry bout nothin no because worryin's a waste of my fuckin time!
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 03:51:06 PM »

I completely agree dude, I remember saying in another thread that I thought Chinese Democracy could well be GN'R version of Physical Graffiti, in that it seems that the new music is coming from all sorts of places, blues, electronic, straight hard rock etc etc. Good Post man!? ?ok

Thanks bro - I'm glad it's getting good feedback -  beer
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 04:04:13 PM »

After the album,'s been out 30 years, you realized there was alot of diversity musically on it?? Wink

If you listened to Zeppelin I-IV, and Houses of the Holy before that; you would have heard the same thing hihi
ROSE22
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 04:05:40 PM »

definately agree although i think cd will be better if thats possible.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 02:13:54 AM »

CD is very much so a conceptual album as well.....comparisons to Dark Side of the Moon perhaps?
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 02:18:35 AM »

CD is very much so a conceptual album as well.....comparisons to Dark Side of the Moon perhaps?

I'd compare it to your mother. Good and deep.  hihi

Kidding Garry!

gnrevolution.com
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 08:08:04 AM »

and you would know this cause your an insider and heard all the songs hihi
j/k
madagas
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 08:13:44 AM »

Dark Side of the Moon was made in about a six month timeframe. Roll Eyes Axl's going on 12 years now. NOT a good comparison. Grin
mdlemin
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 09:33:32 AM »

I have been wondering that ever since I first heard Madagascar. Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking this way. Led Zeppelin's Graffiti album is a very good album.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 10:37:26 AM »

Brain said it could be Led Zeppelin Ⅱ of Guns n Roses.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: