Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 03:23:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Robin Finck
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin Finck  (Read 66692 times)
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2005, 12:14:07 AM »

really? I thought they were meandering and quite dull. They never went anywhere.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2005, 12:27:36 AM »

But I really like him. Really. He's not like the others, he's always trying to put a little of soul on every second of music. It's not like "play this note, let it last for a few bars and then play something fast". He's just playing with his mind, his body and his soul (ok, not a quote from Joss Stone hihi).

I guess he's a misunderstood player. His style is fresh, new and good IMO...

He goes into some note you wouldn't even think about it...
I can tell you anytime when he is playing, not only for his unique sound but also by the way he plays.

I don't know a thing about guitar playing but I loved hearing your take on his style Voodoochild. ?Thank you. ? Wink
And about how he plays with such emotion.. ?mind, body, and soul - I agree and I love it. ?
I love his stage prescence -how he prowls the stage... ?and how he handles the guitar in relation to his body. ?Grin
Robin's awesome. ?I really am looking forward to seeing him live again with GN'R. ? love

His Sossego solo was a beautiful soulful rhythm guitar demonstration. He played like he wanted to the brazilians fans to know how he cared about us (of course, I'm a brazilian fan). I know he cared about us. I could feel it.

By the way, "Sossego" friggin' rocks! That solo had some major ATTITUDE. yes

I agree. That piece was awesome.... ?ATTITUDE! yeah! ?definitely including how he did the vocal parts... in portuguese no less!
and when the crowd answered back... ? ? That could not have been easy for him to pull off. ? It went very well.

Axl obviously sees alot of greatness in Robin... ?
...Robin took the majority of solos and the most important one - the SCOM ending. And I think he did that pretty good. Wink

THAT'S the one! At the Hard Rock gig NYE... ?front and center looking up at him as he played it... I was in absolute awe.
And I love watching this on the MSG boot... ? Something about how he plays it.  His expression was one of having conqured something with ease. 
That entire performance of SCOM at MSG felt EXTREMELY good.
ATREAL1_1
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2005, 12:45:13 AM »

Robin does in fact make alot of mistakes with the older material live but then again who wouldnt?

Uh, Bucket Head.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2005, 01:01:45 AM »

What? He's not an average guitar player or an amateur. Do you really think he was still trying to learn how to play back then? He's not just a promissing guitar player. And I can say that not only by the new songs but as well the old ones he used to play.

Considering very, very little material from the UYI albums was played on the tour, yeah im going to go out on a limb and say alot of those tracks were overlooked during rehearsal as the generic setlist that traces back to 2001 was also adapted for the most part in 2002 as well. Im not implying he was learning how to play guitar then at all, some GnR tracks not played live most definately. If you were to ask Robin on the spot in 2002 to play Coma or Breakdown, do you think he would have done it flawlessly? I doubt it, thats why after 12/6/02 and up to the present time perhaps, Robin along with the other bandmembers have been practicing the UYI and gained good experience as a result of it..

« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 08:24:56 AM by AxlsMainMan » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2005, 01:20:10 AM »

Robin does in fact make alot of mistakes with the older material live but then again who wouldnt?

Uh, Bucket Head.
You should listen carrefully. He never knew when to stop at Nightrain's ending. He miss some bends on November Rain.
BTW: he's out of the band.  confused

Considering very, very little material from the UYI albums was played on the tour, yeah im going to go out on a limb and say alot of those tracks were overlooked during rehearsal as the generic setlist that traces back to 2001 was also adapted for the most part in 2002 as well. Im not implying he was learning how to play guitar then at all, some GnR tracks not played live most definately. If you were to ask Robin on the spot in 2002 to play Coma or Breakdown, do you think he would have done it flawlessly? I doubt it, thats why after 12/6/02 and up to the present time perhaps, Robin along with the other bandmembers have been practicing the UYI and gained good experience as a result of it..
Why he couldn't play Coma or Breakdown? Do you really think those songs are that hard? No, it's not. He can play SCOM ending solo, why the hell he wouldn't be able to play those other songs?

ATREAL1_1
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2005, 01:54:42 AM »

This whole thread has been pretty funny, because you have people who have no idea about guitar ins and out, music theory, or what a real guitarist sounds like for that matter. Just some qualifiying background. Im 22, I come from a family of guitarists (my father alone has been playing for about 40yrs). I've been playing guitar for a while, Im in a band currently, I study music theory, and I listen to all kinds of guitarists, not just the ones that are well known. Finck doesn't suck, but he's not all that good either. (For people who dont know) When you play the guitar, you cant just play anywhere on the neck you want. There's something called the key of a song. The key of the song, along with scales, will basically outline for you what and where to play on the neck. If your not playing within the key or scale, than your pretty much messing up. For a professional guitar player, this guy is constantly playing notes that just dont fit the song, or aren't in the key (or any particular scale for that matter either). There is a Finck solo in RIRIII, where me and my father were watching him play it, and we were both like, "What the F^*K was that!?!?!" This is really basic shit, and he messes it up regularly. Another thing, the guy is always screwing up the bends. He bends the notes way out of pitch, which really makes an educated ear BLEED. When a guitarist bends a note, its the same thing as a singer changing pitch. EVERYONE knows what a bad singer sounds like when they hit the wrong notes, well its the same thing on a guitar. Its just many poeple cant identify the mistake when they hear a guitarists do it. There is another little thing called tempo, which is the pace of the song. During his solos, he's way off. ?He's lagging behind (someone else already said this too), or just uneven in general, too fast or too slow. This really contributes to an overall sloppy sound. THESE ARE NOT OPINIONS, THIS IS MUSIC THEORY. I DIDNT make IT UP, IT CAN NOT BE ARGUED!!. He's got other issues as well, but this is already too long. With that said, there are some solos where he's fine, and I really enjoy the chourds he plays before "knocking on heavens door" http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/shortclips/finckkohd.wmv. The style reminds me of Hendrix's "Little Wing". He's no Buckethead, GNR is in alot of trouble without the temendous skills of Buckethead. Finck cant carry the whole load, because he's not talented enough. It's like poeple dont seem to understand that Bucket Head is seriously one of the most impressive guitarists in the world right now, GNR was so lucky to have him. I already posted this in another thread but here it is again. http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/shortclips/bhntrain.wmv. Maybe I can name 3 guitarists EVER who could play this one solo alone (If you think someone else other than vai, west, maybe van halen or... can play it let me know who they are. I'd be interested). Anyway, that's it. I hope I cleared up at least a few of the arguments, though im sure i just started new ones. thx newgnr 4 the clips, and thx 4 reading. ? ? ?
ATREAL1_1
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2005, 02:12:40 AM »

You should listen carrefully. He never knew when to stop at Nightrain's ending. He miss some bends on November Rain.
BTW: he's out of the band.? confused

YEAH THX 4 that info! Anyway the question was who could play it without messing up, not who in the band could do it, so your comment here is irrelevant. dude, if he never knew when to stop, I'd consider that the best thing that happened to that song. The vid i posted in my last comment is just so awsome. He is blazing fast and accurate, nobody can deny that. What show was it that he didnt know when to stop? I mustn't have seen it. And come on dude, do you really think he can't follow Slash's bends through November Rain?Huh? He was just playing a non tradtional version of the solo, though im not sure what show your refering to here either. Of all the solos ive heard him take with GNR he has never played an identical solo of Slash's. Why would he? but you should know that he doesnt do it for lack of skill.     
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2005, 03:10:24 AM »

This whole thread has been pretty funny, because you have people who have no idea about guitar ins and out, music theory, or what a real guitarist sounds like for that matter. Just some qualifiying background. Im 22, I come from a family of guitarists (my father alone has been playing for about 40yrs). I've been playing guitar for a while, Im in a band currently, I study music theory, and I listen to all kinds of guitarists, not just the ones that are well known. Finck doesn't suck, but he's not all that good either. (For people who dont know) When you play the guitar, you cant just play anywhere on the neck you want. There's something called the key of a song. The key of the song, along with scales, will basically outline for you what and where to play on the neck. If your not playing within the key or scale, than your pretty much messing up. For a professional guitar player, this guy is constantly playing notes that just dont fit the song, or aren't in the key (or any particular scale for that matter either). There is a Finck solo in RIRIII, where me and my father were watching him play it, and we were both like, "What the F^*K was that!?!?!" This is really basic shit, and he messes it up regularly. Another thing, the guy is always screwing up the bends. He bends the notes way out of pitch, which really makes an educated ear BLEED. When a guitarist bends a note, its the same thing as a singer changing pitch. EVERYONE knows what a bad singer sounds like when they hit the wrong notes, well its the same thing on a guitar. Its just many poeple cant identify the mistake when they hear a guitarists do it. There is another little thing called tempo, which is the pace of the song. During his solos, he's way off. ?He's lagging behind (someone else already said this too), or just uneven in general, too fast or too slow. This really contributes to an overall sloppy sound. THESE ARE NOT OPINIONS, THIS IS MUSIC THEORY. I DIDNT make IT UP, IT CAN NOT BE ARGUED!!. He's got other issues as well, but this is already too long. With that said, there are some solos where he's fine, and I really enjoy the chourds he plays before "knocking on heavens door" http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/shortclips/finckkohd.wmv. The style reminds me of Hendrix's "Little Wing". He's no Buckethead, GNR is in alot of trouble without the temendous skills of Buckethead. Finck cant carry the whole load, because he's not talented enough. It's like poeple dont seem to understand that Bucket Head is seriously one of the most impressive guitarists in the world right now, GNR was so lucky to have him. I already posted this in another thread but here it is again. http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/shortclips/bhntrain.wmv. Maybe I can name 3 guitarists EVER who could play this one solo alone (If you think someone else other than vai, west, maybe van halen or... can play it let me know who they are. I'd be interested). Anyway, that's it. I hope I cleared up at least a few of the arguments, though im sure i just started new ones. thx newgnr 4 the clips, and thx 4 reading. ? ? ?

My thoughts exactly. Great post  ok

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2005, 04:00:54 AM »

BTW: he's out of the band.  confused
YEAH THX 4 that info!
You're welcome. Do you know about Slash too, huh?  Shocked

Anyway the question was who could play it without messing up, not who in the band could do it, so your comment here is irrelevant.
No, the question was "If you were to ask Robin on the spot in 2002 to play Coma or Breakdown, do you think he would have done it flawlessly?.
I guess it was pretty clear that I think he can play those songs without messing up. Anyways, since you're a guitar player, you should know how Slash's guitar work is not impossible, far from this. And you ignore the fact that Robin handled SCOM solo pretty good (or you just didn't mind to comment because your ears bleed everytime you hear it). So, in a way or another, your comment here is irrelevant.

dude, if he never knew when to stop, I'd consider that the best thing that happened to that song. The vid i posted in my last comment is just so awsome. He is blazing fast and accurate, nobody can deny that. What show was it that he didnt know when to stop? I mustn't have seen it.
Try Pukkelpop and, if I'm not mistaken, Boston.
So, you consider when someone don't follow the rest of the band is a good thing? I don't think the other guys wants that happening. You may think that a 10min solo is the best thing ever, but the rest of the world might not. The same with the fast thing. This is not about who can play the same thing over and over without fuck up. It's a rock n' roll band and, just like Slash era, it's supposed to act (and play) to the average joe, not to the guitar freaks. 

And come on dude, do you really think he can't follow Slash's bends through November Rain?Huh?
No, I think he can. But he didn't follow sometimes. Not my fault. Even Slash didn't.

He was just playing a non tradtional version of the solo, though im not sure what show your refering to here either.
Yeah, so was Robin with the other songs. But Buckethead can and Robin not, right?  Roll Eyes

Of all the solos ive heard him take with GNR he has never played an identical solo of Slash's. Why would he? but you should know that he doesnt do it for lack of skill.
I never said anything about lack of skill. I never said he should play like Slash - I never wanted a clone. But, like you said in your other post, you have an "educated ear", so I guess you can hear when someone fuck up a bend. Go figure why you can only hear Robin's fuckups (like Slash never fucked up anything).

You claim to know a lot about guitars. Yet, you seem pretty one sided about what is the best thing for a guitar player in your opinion: technical knowledge, speed, precision. No need to feel. I'm sorry, I disagree.

I guess I know what solo you and you father didn't like at RIR3, he indeed played some awful stuff. But you can watch November Rain at St. Louis '91 with your father and see (and hear) how Slash fucked up the song that much. They are not virtuosos like Buckethead, so it's pretty normal if they fuck up sometimes ok

Just think about it: if Robin is that bad, why Vai, Buckethead (both on Ghost Of Mars soundtrack), Trent and Axl wanted to work with him? Just because he looks cool when he let his facial hair grows?  hihi
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 04:23:26 AM by Voodoochild » Logged

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2005, 04:29:18 AM »

Listen to that guitar solo from Fortus: http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3FYYMZKSZ1TK809O0BN6P98RLQ
---> Richard Fortus should take the lead. He is better. He sounds better. End of story for me.
Breaking news!  Shocked
You will never give up, huh?  Grin

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2005, 04:31:53 AM »

Listen to that guitar solo from Fortus: http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3FYYMZKSZ1TK809O0BN6P98RLQ
---> Richard Fortus should take the lead. He is better. He sounds better. End of story for me.

Thank you, now stay out of this thread.

How the hell did a simple question about what Robin is doing turn into a "He can't play", "Slash is better" or "Richard is better" thread? Aren't you guys bored with those by now?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2005, 05:31:17 AM »

How the hell did a simple question about what Robin is doing turn into a "He can't play", "Slash is better" or "Richard is better" thread? Aren't you guys bored with those by now?

/jarmo

besides I like very very much Richard, I'm very very bored with those repeating off-topics and useless "speculations"

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
ATREAL1_1
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2005, 08:19:58 AM »

BTW: he's out of the band.? confused
YEAH THX 4 that info!
You're welcome. Do you know about Slash too, huh?? Shocked

Huh wwwhhhaaa Huh

Anyway the question was who could play it without messing up, not who in the band could do it, so your comment here is irrelevant.
No, the question was "If you were to ask Robin on the spot in 2002 to play Coma or Breakdown, do you think he would have done it flawlessly?.
I guess it was pretty clear that I think he can play those songs without messing up. Anyways, since you're a guitar player, you should know how Slash's guitar work is not impossible, far from this. And you ignore the fact that Robin handled SCOM solo pretty good (or you just didn't mind to comment because your ears bleed everytime you hear it). So, in a way or another, your comment here is irrelevant.

Robin handled a slim few solos "pretty good".  Im aware its not impossible, why cant Robin play them then. When I was younger, I said to my father, "Dad Slash is awsome, you cant play this". He proceeded to pick up the guitar and play any solo or part of any some I asked him to. And he never even Heard most of the songs. At this point I was fully aware that Slash was at a level that not to high. As a result, I really respect a guy that when he plays, if my dad has no way or reproducing it, I know that guy is pretty f'in good.   

dude, if he never knew when to stop, I'd consider that the best thing that happened to that song. The vid i posted in my last comment is just so awsome. He is blazing fast and accurate, nobody can deny that. What show was it that he didnt know when to stop? I mustn't have seen it.
Try Pukkelpop and, if I'm not mistaken, Boston.
So, you consider when someone don't follow the rest of the band is a good thing? I don't think the other guys wants that happening. You may think that a 10min solo is the best thing ever, but the rest of the world might not. The same with the fast thing. This is not about who can play the same thing over and over without fuck up. It's a rock n' roll band and, just like Slash era, it's supposed to act (and play) to the average joe, not to the guitar freaks.?

Im sorry I didnt see earlier when you stated that you have boston boot, my fault. I went back and checked Boston, and I didnt hear that BH didnt know when to stop, sorry, Axl continues talking at the end and it sounded natural. However, you mentioned a solo issue with NR. In that show Robin takes two solos, BH does the last. What I didnt hear was Robin slave through and butcher 2, and BH play a Slash-like struture and add to the strenghth of the solo. Dude lets face it, what BH can play, neither Slash nor Robin can. I read in an interview somewhere, that one of the members said this IS the best guitar band right now. So this is suppose to appeal to both an everyday listener, and a "guitar freak" also. Slash and BH could do this Robin cant. When the day comes that no one cares how good the guitarists are, thats when Axl will play guitar.

And come on dude, do you really think he can't follow Slash's bends through November Rain?Huh?
No, I think he can. But he didn't follow sometimes. Not my fault. Even Slash didn't.

Slash or BH dont f up though when they play something different though. Robin messes up when he's trying to follow the solo.

He was just playing a non tradtional version of the solo, though im not sure what show your refering to here either.
Yeah, so was Robin with the other songs. But Buckethead can and Robin not, right?? Roll Eyes

No what Robin was playing was bad notes. You obviously dont know it when you hear it. As a live gitarists, I have no problems when someone steps off the beaten path, but that doesnt mean your allowed to make mistakes just cause you did. 

Of all the solos ive heard him take with GNR he has never played an identical solo of Slash's. Why would he? but you should know that he doesnt do it for lack of skill.
I never said anything about lack of skill. I never said he should play like Slash - I never wanted a clone. But, like you said in your other post, you have an "educated ear", so I guess you can hear when someone fuck up a bend. Go figure why you can only hear Robin's fuckups (like Slash never fucked up anything).

Slash f'ed up plenty, but he was prolly high. Whats Robin's excuse? Ive listen to many bootlegs of the new and old band, and the fequency that robin makes mistakes is staggering. I can honestly say that BH rarely made a mistake.

You claim to know a lot about guitars. Yet, you seem pretty one sided about what is the best thing for a guitar player in your opinion: technical knowledge, speed, precision. No need to feel. I'm sorry, I disagree.

Thats not a claim. What's feeling when you dont have tech. knowledge, speed, percision? Just cause BucketHead does the robot dance doesnt mean he IS a robot. Did you know that? he knows how to play with heart. Feeling isnt a substitute for talent and skill. A guy can feel the music but cant play for shit, where's that get you? 

I guess I know what solo you and you father didn't like at RIR3, he indeed played some awful stuff. But you can watch November Rain at St. Louis '91 with your father and see (and hear) how Slash fucked up the song that much. They are not virtuosos like Buckethead, so it's pretty normal if they fuck up sometimes ok

no, Im never going to accept the fact that a professional guitarist fucks up all the time. Its not alright. You can argue whatever you want with Robin, but if you cant see that he's really not that good, well i dont know what to tell you. As a guitarist yourself, you shoud be able to hear that.   
estranged.1098
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2005, 11:10:27 AM »

Thank you, now stay out of this thread.

/jarmo

Yes I'm very very very bored. Please do something about it.  Grin
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2005, 11:50:37 AM »

When a guitarist bends a note, its the same thing as a singer changing pitch. EVERYONE knows what a bad singer sounds like when they hit the wrong notes, well its the same thing on a guitar. Its just many poeple cant identify the mistake when they hear a guitarists do it.

I don't know anything techincal about playing guitar.  If such knowledge takes away from enjoyment of Robin's performance... then I'm glad I dont!

THESE ARE NOT OPINIONS, THIS IS MUSIC THEORY. I DIDNT make IT UP, IT CAN NOT BE ARGUED!!.

The fact that myself, and many, many, MANY other fans do enjoy Robin's performances - also can not be argued.  Smiley

GNR is in alot of trouble without the temendous skills of Buckethead.
While I truly appreciated Buckethead's performances - I don't believe GN'R is by any means 'done for' without him.  There are many, many, great bands that do very, very well and have many, many fans worldwide without a Buckethead type virtuoso.

Myself and many, many, MANY other fans are very pleased with the GN'R lineup.  Smiley
usurper
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2005, 12:12:04 PM »

Myself and many, many, MANY other fans are very pleased with the GN'R lineup.? Smiley
[/b]

Lineup? There is no 3rd guitarist! He left! Remember? It was like only a year ago!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 05:20:12 PM by usurper » Logged
badintentions
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2005, 12:23:09 PM »

Finck doesn't suck, but he's not all that good either. (For people who dont know) When you play the guitar, you cant just play anywhere on the neck you want. There's something called the key of a song. The key of the song, along with scales, will basically outline for you what and where to play on the neck. If your not playing within the key or scale, than your pretty much messing up. For a professional guitar player, this guy is constantly playing notes that just dont fit the song, or aren't in the key (or any particular scale for that matter either). ? ? ?

As someone that has played guitar for 11 years and been in bands that whole time, I will say that while the notes outside the scales or the key of the song may be technically "wrong", I don't think he is doing them by mistake. That is his style and most guitarists out there would encourage people to break the rules and go outside the technical theory because it becomes way to limiting. If everyone stayed inside your parameters, you would have people that play guitar all sounding very similar. robin IS great, and i am sure he is aware of your theory and regulations, but chooses to dismiss those for a unique style. judging from what you said, i bet you are one boring ass guitar player.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2005, 12:33:14 PM »

So do you mean he wants to play out of key?  Huh Then it's even worse.

Cacophony is another thing, but Robin's playing is simply out of tune, not some artistic moves.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2005, 12:56:21 PM »

This whole thread has been pretty funny, because you have people who have no idea about guitar ins and out, music theory, or what a real guitarist sounds like for that matter. Just some qualifiying background. Im 22, I come from a family of guitarists (my father alone has been playing for about 40yrs). I've been playing guitar for a while, Im in a band currently, I study music theory, and I listen to all kinds of guitarists, not just the ones that are well known. Finck doesn't suck, but he's not all that good either. (For people who dont know) When you play the guitar, you cant just play anywhere on the neck you want. There's something called the key of a song. The key of the song, along with scales, will basically outline for you what and where to play on the neck. If your not playing within the key or scale, than your pretty much messing up. For a professional guitar player, this guy is constantly playing notes that just dont fit the song, or aren't in the key (or any particular scale for that matter either). There is a Finck solo in RIRIII, where me and my father were watching him play it, and we were both like, "What the F^*K was that!?!?!" This is really basic shit, and he messes it up regularly. Another thing, the guy is always screwing up the bends. He bends the notes way out of pitch, which really makes an educated ear BLEED. When a guitarist bends a note, its the same thing as a singer changing pitch. EVERYONE knows what a bad singer sounds like when they hit the wrong notes, well its the same thing on a guitar. Its just many poeple cant identify the mistake when they hear a guitarists do it. There is another little thing called tempo, which is the pace of the song. During his solos, he's way off.  He's lagging behind (someone else already said this too), or just uneven in general, too fast or too slow. This really contributes to an overall sloppy sound. THESE ARE NOT OPINIONS, THIS IS MUSIC THEORY. I DIDNT make IT UP, IT CAN NOT BE ARGUED!!. He's got other issues as well, but this is already too long. With that said, there are some solos where he's fine, and I really enjoy the chourds he plays before "knocking on heavens door" http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/shortclips/finckkohd.wmv. The style reminds me of Hendrix's "Little Wing". He's no Buckethead, GNR is in alot of trouble without the temendous skills of Buckethead. Finck cant carry the whole load, because he's not talented enough. It's like poeple dont seem to understand that Bucket Head is seriously one of the most impressive guitarists in the world right now, GNR was so lucky to have him. I already posted this in another thread but here it is again. http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/shortclips/bhntrain.wmv. Maybe I can name 3 guitarists EVER who could play this one solo alone (If you think someone else other than vai, west, maybe van halen or... can play it let me know who they are. I'd be interested). Anyway, that's it. I hope I cleared up at least a few of the arguments, though im sure i just started new ones. thx newgnr 4 the clips, and thx 4 reading.       

Thanks for mentioning me. Smiley I am not a guitar player but i can hear the tempo problems.

Anyone that says that Finck does it on purpose, probably believes George Lucas writes crappy dialogue on purpose because he's paying homage to earlier crappier films.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2005, 01:05:53 PM »

BTW I'M 14 hu eva asked 4 my age in the post

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: