Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 03:03:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Robin Finck
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin Finck  (Read 66679 times)
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2005, 11:39:55 PM »

I wouldn't say he hasn't been working, but that we have no idea what he's been up to.

true enough. Let's just say, I hope whatever he has been working on is very good.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2005, 02:38:23 AM »

Ok, I understand some of you didn't like Robin. That's fair, he is a different guitar player and, no matter what, he will always be "the guy who replaced Slash".

But I really like him. Really. He's not like the others, he's always trying to put a little of soul on every second of music. It's not like "play this note, let it last for a few bars and then play something fast". He's just playing with his mind, his body and his soul (ok, not a quote from Joss Stone hihi).

I guess he's a misunderstood player. His style is fresh, new and good IMO - I'm talking about his guitar playing skills. He never tried to be like Slash or Gilby, so I can't understand why someone can say "he should get some (guitars) like Gilby's or Slash's". No, he already have his own sound. He should not do anything to be like someone else.

I'm now learning how to play The Blues. I'm having to use only my ears - there's no good tabs for this song. So, I can say: this guy have some amazing ideas. He goes into some note you wouldn't even think about it. It's a little hard to learn how his right hand works, it's not the regular work like Slash or Buckethead does. I can tell you anytime when he is playing, not only for his unique sound but also by the way he plays.

I don't really care if he's not like Slash. He doesn't have to be. I don't think if he used the same fashion sytle he would be cooler. I don't care, I'm not here to see his clothes. Is he different? Sure. But I still care about the sound, the music. And he can dress himself anyway he wants as long as he can be himself.

I have the Boston bootleg. I can say its almost flawless, as far as I remember now. The same with MSG.
His Sossego solo was a beautiful soulful rhythm guitar demonstration. He played like he wanted to the brazilians fans to know how he cared about us (of course, I'm a brazilian fan). I know he cared about us. I could feel it.

As a fan, a music lover and a guitar player myself, I can say with the caps lock: ROBIN FINCK ROCKS!  ok
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 02:48:38 AM by Voodoochild » Logged

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2005, 05:22:21 AM »

he doesn't usually make mistakes.. no more then any other guitarist out there.  and yes, slash fucks up live too just as much as the next person.   most of the people dogging on robin's skillz actually are just very bitter $lash fans who have yet to get over the fact that $lash was replaced with someone just as good with a more modern and versatile style Wink

No offense, but you have to be a real mess to think Finck is even in the same league as Slash.  Slash wrote some of the greatest guitar pieces ever.  Finck has done NOTHING at all.  And I saw original GNR play 4 times live and Slash didn't miss a note the entire time (and he was probably playing fucked up too).  I saw Finck play in Boston on 12/2/02 and he was below average at best.  Buckethead stole the show (along with Axl of course). 

No one is bitter that Slash is gone.  It sucks, but it is what itis.  All I was getting at is that Finck is maybe (maybe) an average live performer whereas Slash was and is the pinnacle of live guitar playing.  You want to talk about a stage presence?  Well there is no greater guitar presence on this planet tha Slash.  I can say this having seen him play live 4 times in the past.

How many times have you seen Slash and Finck play live?  If the answer is zero, then stfu and trust us that lived through GNR when it was actual a real band with amazing musicians and actual music. ok

lol i've seen finck and i dont care to see $lash.  i think he's an asshole and really he's nothing special.  i'm more intersted in the modern day guns.  old guns was awesome but thats over and i'd rather look forward rather then dwell on the past.   

FInck has such an amazing style.. if he did a solo album, i have a feeling it wuld be a very well-thoughtout piece of work that u have to look a little deeper into to understand.  the guy is an artist.
usurper
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2005, 05:52:14 AM »

listen to "sossego", that li'l song rocks your socks off !!

peace

Sossego sucks big time.

you suck.

Tongue

You're in no position to say who sucks, YOU SUCK!
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2005, 08:57:45 AM »

Robin Finck is a bloomin' legend. he's way betta than Slash. he plays with feel, emotion and power. he mayks u feel the musik a lot more especially in madagascar and the blues. gr8 tunes. shame hardly n e 1 has hurd them. when the album cumz out, they'll c.

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
usurper
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2005, 10:00:13 AM »

Robin Finck is a bloomin' legend. he's way betta than Slash. he plays with feel, emotion and power. he mayks u feel the musik a lot more especially in madagascar and the blues. gr8 tunes. shame hardly n e 1 has hurd them. when the album cumz out, they'll c.

Sakib, I like Robin just as much as the next fan but he just does not play as well as he should, listen to his solos from 2002, they are terrible, now compare those solos with Slash's or Buckethead's, there is no comparison, he really can let himself down with his half-assed approach sometimes.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2005, 10:42:32 AM »

Sakib, I like Robin just as much as the next fan but he just does not play as well as he should, listen to his solos from 2002, they are terrible, now compare those solos with Slash's or Buckethead's, there is no comparison, he really can let himself down with his half-assed approach sometimes.
It's overreacting. He just didn't have that many mistakes, but anytime he fuck up is like 10 times worse than anyother.
I love his solos and I guess a lot of people just can't understand his style. He don't let himself down, you wanna see like that.

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2005, 10:55:01 AM »

It's overreacting. He just didn't have that many mistakes, but anytime he fuck up is like 10 times worse than anyother.
I love his solos and I guess a lot of people just can't understand his style. He don't let himself down, you wanna see like that.

He maybe has his unique style, but bending causes major problems for him and it's a shame on this level. It's not NIN, it's Guns N' Roses, a famous guitar band!
On the other hand he often fucks up the rhythm of the solos (not because he alters it), and when you look at him you can see a man who plays like it'd be a war between him and his guitar. His left hand holds the neck very fitfully (I hope it's the right word) and when he pushes down the strings he does it with too much power so often he plays out of tone even when he hits the right bar and doesn't even bend the note. I know some guys who make the same mistake: if he have played with a softer left hand, he would play much better. (BTW I think that Sossego sucks, but The Blues' solo is really good, although I'm sure he can't play the ending well and he usually makes mistakes in other parts, too.)

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2005, 12:49:52 PM »

he doesn't usually make mistakes.. no more then any other guitarist out there.? and yes, slash fucks up live too just as much as the next person.? ?most of the people dogging on robin's skillz actually are just very bitter $lash fans who have yet to get over the fact that $lash was replaced with someone just as good with a more modern and versatile style Wink

No offense, but you have to be a real mess to think Finck is even in the same league as Slash.? Slash wrote some of the greatest guitar pieces ever.? Finck has done NOTHING at all.? And I saw original GNR play 4 times live and Slash didn't miss a note the entire time (and he was probably playing fucked up too).? I saw Finck play in Boston on 12/2/02 and he was below average at best.? Buckethead stole the show (along with Axl of course).?

No one is bitter that Slash is gone.? It sucks, but it is what itis.? All I was getting at is that Finck is maybe (maybe) an average live performer whereas Slash was and is the pinnacle of live guitar playing.? You want to talk about a stage presence?? Well there is no greater guitar presence on this planet tha Slash.? I can say this having seen him play live 4 times in the past.

How many times have you seen Slash and Finck play live?? If the answer is zero, then stfu and trust us that lived through GNR when it was actual a real band with amazing musicians and actual music. ok

lol i've seen finck and i dont care to see $lash.? i think he's an asshole and really he's nothing special.? i'm more intersted in the modern day guns.? old guns was awesome but thats over and i'd rather look forward rather then dwell on the past.? ?

FInck has such an amazing style.. if he did a solo album, i have a feeling it wuld be a very well-thoughtout piece of work that u have to look a little deeper into to understand.? the guy is an artist.

How Old are you?

I was always thinking "The new Guns rocks. Old Guns are hacks", but... that's just crazy.  Slash is an amazing guitarist. I'm not stuck up his ass or anything, I'm always ready to criticize things he's done that I don't like. But no one who plays guitar can say that Robin is better than Slash. It's just not logical.

Try playing along with the solos of Don't Damn Me or One In A Million.
I love Robin's playing just as much as anyone, but it's just irrational to say that he's better than Slash.
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2005, 01:04:05 PM »

Robin Finck is a bloomin' legend. he's way betta than Slash.

Some of you kiddies are amazing, really I mean that.  Finck is a bloomin legend?   Huh    For what?  Don't you actually have to write a timeless piece before anyone can utter that phrase about you?  Slash IS a certified legend, and that's undeniable.  Finck is a mediocre guitarist who was probably comfortable in a support role behind Buckethead, but will be way, way, way over his head trying to lead the nuGNR.  You can't just drop an average guitarist like Finck into one of the best guitar bands in history and think he can handle it.  I pray Axl is looking for a replacement for BH, and not just going with Finck as the lead.  And while you read this, ask yourself why GNR is considered by many to be one of the greatest guitar bands in history.  The answer is one syllable.  Slash.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2005, 01:38:26 PM »

How Old are you?

I was always thinking "The new Guns rocks. Old Guns are hacks", but... that's just crazy.  Slash is an amazing guitarist. I'm not stuck up his ass or anything, I'm always ready to criticize things he's done that I don't like. But no one who plays guitar can say that Robin is better than Slash. It's just not logical.

Try playing along with the solos of Don't Damn Me or One In A Million.
I love Robin's playing just as much as anyone, but it's just irrational to say that he's better than Slash.

I'm 24 and i've been into gnr since I can remember.   I love the old band, not once did i say the old band hacks.

with that said, I feel the 'new' guns are the real guns now.  i truly believe most of the talent of most of the members of the band far exceed the talent of the guys they replaced.  just because someone isn't as well known doesn't make them not as good.   If you think for a second Axl would'nt work with anything less then the best in the music industry, you must not know axl rose that well lol.   The guys in Guns now.. thats how guns should be in 2005. 

I really do like Robin's style better then $lash's.. its all a matter of taste.  ANd i also feel everything $lash had done post-gnr has not been as good as one would expect.  and i feel its disrespectful even discussing the asshole anymore in a thread for robin finck. 
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2005, 02:06:55 PM »

Are you all blind morons or what? I said no more Slash vs Robin debates.

If you continue, your posts will be deleted. Jeez, I feel like I'm teaching 10-year-olds here.....  Roll Eyes

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
estranged.1098
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2005, 02:09:38 PM »

I'm sure Robin will have the last laugh.  Grin

ok
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2005, 02:20:24 PM »

JUST FOR THE RECORD: i never said Robin was better than slash, I just said he was cooler.

like edward scissor hands  Grin

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2005, 02:33:25 PM »

I'm sure Robin will have the last laugh.  Grin

ok
We will too.  Grin

Great inputs Voodoo, other allies and some opponent with a guitar knowledge. Fair opinion is what I appreciate. ok

Maybe Mozart fans would have thought Stravinsky was a tone deaf. While the fans of the latter had good ears for both.
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2005, 05:11:35 PM »

i disagree with that. i've got bootlegs from 2002 Pittsburgh show and other d8s around that time, i think he was kl. sure, he didnt play them pefectly but u've got 2 twist it 2 ur own style a bit. c'mon. u hurd megadeth version of anrachy in the uk, they twisted the solos.

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
jgfnsr
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2005, 08:50:21 PM »

He maybe has his unique style, but bending causes major problems for him and it's a shame on this level. It's not NIN, it's Guns N' Roses, a famous guitar band!
On the other hand he often fucks up the rhythm of the solos (not because he alters it), and when you look at him you can see a man who plays like it'd be a war between him and his guitar. His left hand holds the neck very fitfully (I hope it's the right word) and when he pushes down the strings he does it with too much power so often he plays out of tone even when he hits the right bar and doesn't even bend the note. I know some guys who make the same mistake: if he have played with a softer left hand, he would play much better. (BTW I think that Sossego sucks, but The Blues' solo is really good, although I'm sure he can't play the ending well and he usually makes mistakes in other parts, too.)

Robin's obvious difference in style from Slash aside, I think there is a good reason Axl picked him to be one of the guitarists on the new album, and we have every reason to expect that Axl will have pulled the best out of him.

By the way, "Sossego" friggin' rocks!  That solo had some major ATTITUDE.  yes
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2005, 09:38:01 PM »

The argument of Robin's "greatness" or "mediocrity" on the Blues solo is kind of empty considering he didn't even write the solo, Zakk Wylde did. Its in a quote somewhere, but im too lazy to dig around tonight.

As for Robin, I think hes an exceptionally talented player but is nowhere near the calibur Slash is. Robin does in fact make alot of mistakes with the older material live but then again who wouldnt? The thing though is half the time Slash was fucked up on coke or whatever, yet half the music he contributed to live was often flawless and breathtaking. I see alot of potential in Robin as he no doubt has gained alot more practice and talent since 12/6/02. I dont really know why people are so worried about him now also filling Bhead's shoes since he was lead long before BHead came aboard, and often played the majority of notes on each song live while Bhead took over a few solos here and there and what not.

Axl obviously sees alot of greatness in Robin as he does the other bandmembers (even Chris hihi) or else Robin would not still be in this group almost 9 years later..

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2005, 10:28:51 PM »

The argument of Robin's "greatness" or "mediocrity" on the Blues solo is kind of empty considering he didn't even write the solo, Zakk Wylde did. Its in a quote somewhere, but im too lazy to dig around tonight.
No, it's not. It was just a fake interview, Zakk didn't have anything to do with the solo. Guess Mysteron (or someone else) contacted Robin's webmaster and he confirmed that it is a Robin solo. So, I guess your argument is empty.

As for Robin, I think hes an exceptionally talented player but is nowhere near the calibur Slash is. Robin does in fact make alot of mistakes with the older material live but then again who wouldnt? The thing though is half the time Slash was fucked up on coke or whatever, yet half the music he contributed to live was often flawless and breathtaking.
Ok, it's not my job, but let me remind you something:

Are you all blind morons or what? I said no more Slash vs Robin debates.

If you continue, your posts will be deleted. Jeez, I feel like I'm teaching 10-year-olds here.....  Roll Eyes

I see alot of potential in Robin as he no doubt has gained alot more practice and talent since 12/6/02.
What? He's not an average guitar player or an amateur. Do you really think he was still trying to learn how to play back then? He's not just a promissing guitar player. And I can say that not only by the new songs but as well the old ones he used to play.

I dont really know why people are so worried about him now also filling Bhead's shoes since he was lead long before BHead came aboard, and often played the majority of notes on each song live while Bhead took over a few solos here and there and what not.

Axl obviously sees alot of greatness in Robin as he does the other bandmembers (even Chris hihi) or else Robin would not still be in this group almost 9 years later..
I agree with that. People talk like Buckethead was the "key". But Robin took the majority of solos and the most important one - the SCOM ending. And I think he did that pretty good.  Wink

Budweiser Froggs
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2005, 11:48:50 PM »

the robin solos before sweet child o mine and before paradise city are great!!!!  proof that robin kicks ass

thank you
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: