Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 10:13:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Time for A-Rod to say Bye-Bye to NY?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Time for A-Rod to say Bye-Bye to NY?  (Read 37187 times)
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2006, 01:20:44 PM »

As long as Steinbrenner is alive, and Jeter's still playing

I think the over/under on that is more like 3.5.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2006, 02:16:09 PM »

Don't follow Huh
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2006, 02:29:19 PM »

Don't follow Huh

I'm saying Steinbrenner's got 3 and a half years left, tops.  In fact, I'm not even convinced that guy's still alive as we speak.  He never appears in public anymore; all we see are statements released by his office.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2006, 02:40:24 PM »

Ok - that's what I thought you meant. Yeah, I agree.  His time is running out. He's starting to look like the average guy's grandmother, actually.

Don't follow Huh

I'm saying Steinbrenner's got 3 and a half years left, tops.? In fact, I'm not even convinced that guy's still alive as we speak.? He never appears in public anymore; all we see are statements released by his office.

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2006, 02:40:53 PM »

Don't follow Huh

I'm saying Steinbrenner's got 3 and a half years left, tops.? In fact, I'm not even convinced that guy's still alive as we speak.? He never appears in public anymore; all we see are statements released by his office.

Ok - that's what I thought you meant. Yeah, I agree. ?His time is running out. He's starting to look like the average guy's grandmother, actually.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2006, 04:46:48 PM »

you trying to tell me with JD, gay rod, jeeeeter, and juice box giambi you still need more hitters hihi You have one consistent pitcher in mussina, no one's fault randy finally got old this year.. MAtsui is missed, but I think shefield is finished or soon to be he has to many problems...

True the mets are second to the yankees, but that's because they had many years of winning from 96 on, when I was a kid following the mets all through the 80's it was the mets on the daily new sport section cover..? Mets have a damn good team with lots of young potential, so there's a future there, yanks are on the decline anlthough george will keep trying to buy more championships.. The other day the paper said best team in baseball, showed A rod looking up at the mets...

I go to see the mets play, but not much because I hate taking the train to queens.. trust me just like the past years when teh yanks start sucking the seats will empty..

The numbers back you up Mike.? In 1995 - the year before the Yankees won the World Series (and they were a playoff team) - Steinbrenner & Co. drew 21,000 a game.? Compare that to the Mets this year - a team that hasn't won the World Series in 20 years and hasn't won a division in 18 years - they're bringing in 42,000 a game.?

In a few Years the new Yankee Stadium will be built. Attendance from that point on will be ridiculous. As long as Steinbrenner is alive, and Jeter's still playing, he will field a team worth of going to see. You may have to wait 15 years untill they start drawing dick again.

that's why I said he'll buy another championship.. I miss home grown talent like the mets are doing now, sure you have to get  akey player here n there but I like the guys from teh farm system, reyes, wright, and if lastings can be good..
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2006, 05:03:09 PM »

you trying to tell me with JD, gay rod, jeeeeter, and juice box giambi you still need more hitters hihi You have one consistent pitcher in mussina, no one's fault randy finally got old this year.. MAtsui is missed, but I think shefield is finished or soon to be he has to many problems...

True the mets are second to the yankees, but that's because they had many years of winning from 96 on, when I was a kid following the mets all through the 80's it was the mets on the daily new sport section cover..  Mets have a damn good team with lots of young potential, so there's a future there, yanks are on the decline anlthough george will keep trying to buy more championships.. The other day the paper said best team in baseball, showed A rod looking up at the mets...

I go to see the mets play, but not much because I hate taking the train to queens.. trust me just like the past years when teh yanks start sucking the seats will empty..

The numbers back you up Mike.  In 1995 - the year before the Yankees won the World Series (and they were a playoff team) - Steinbrenner & Co. drew 21,000 a game.  Compare that to the Mets this year - a team that hasn't won the World Series in 20 years and hasn't won a division in 18 years - they're bringing in 42,000 a game. 

In a few Years the new Yankee Stadium will be built. Attendance from that point on will be ridiculous. As long as Steinbrenner is alive, and Jeter's still playing, he will field a team worth of going to see. You may have to wait 15 years untill they start drawing dick again.

that's why I said he'll buy another championship.. I miss home grown talent like the mets are doing now, sure you have to get  akey player here n there but I like the guys from teh farm system, reyes, wright, and if lastings can be good..

That's the problem-- the only championships Steinbrenner has bought are division championships and occasionally AL championships.  A team of 100% superstars will do well in the regular season, but nothing more.  A team of a few superstars and a bunch of homegrown roleplayers will do much more.  The WS winning teams of 1996 through 2000 were homegrown talent (Posada, Jeter, Williams, Pettite, Rivera), some purchased role players (Martinez, O'Neill, Knoblauch), and a couple purchased superstars (Clemens).

A good mix of different types of players are what a team needs-- and you can't just buy them all.  Throwing money at mediocre guys having good seasons to be your "role players" rarely works-- the proof is in Ken Phelps, Tim Leary, Matt Nokes, Jack Clark, Mel Hall, Tony Womack, Melido Perez, Danny Tartabull, Jesse Barfield, Rick Rhoden, Steve Sax, Steve Balboni, and the stiffs they got in exchange for Willie McGee and Fred McGriff.

Steinbrenner is good when it comes to a team that will repeatedly win in the regular season.  But when it comes to World Series winning teams, he should have left the wheeling and dealing up to Gene Michael.

"We plan absentee ownership as far as running the Yankees is concerned. We're not going to pretend we're something we aren't. I'll stick to building ships." -- George Steinbrenner, January 3, 1973.  George Steinbrenner has had the worst win to payroll ratio in history.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2006, 05:04:37 PM »

No doubt the Mets youth infusion is quite impressive. Milledge is a thug though, you better be careful with that guy!

Wright is impressive, even for a Met hater like me!
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2006, 05:13:25 PM »

That's the problem-- the only championships Steinbrenner has bought are division championships and occasionally AL championships.? A team of 100% superstars will do well in the regular season, but nothing more.? A team of a few superstars and a bunch of homegrown roleplayers will do much more.? The WS winning teams of 1996 through 2000 were homegrown talent (Posada, Jeter, Williams, Pettite, Rivera), some purchased role players (Martinez, O'Neill, Knoblauch), and a couple purchased superstars (Clemens).

A good mix of different types of players are what a team needs-- and you can't just buy them all.? Throwing money at mediocre guys having good seasons to be your "role players" rarely works-- the proof is in Ken Phelps, Tim Leary, Matt Nokes, Jack Clark, Mel Hall, Tony Womack, Melido Perez, Danny Tartabull, Jesse Barfield, Rick Rhoden, Steve Sax, Steve Balboni, and the stiffs they got in exchange for Willie McGee and Fred McGriff.

Steinbrenner is good when it comes to a team that will repeatedly win in the regular season.? But when it comes to World Series winning teams, he should have left the wheeling and dealing up to Gene Michael.

"We plan absentee ownership as far as running the Yankees is concerned. We're not going to pretend we're something we aren't. I'll stick to building ships." -- George Steinbrenner, January 3, 1973.? George Steinbrenner has had the worst win to payroll ratio in history.

Great quote, but I'm going to do the unthinkable and defend Steinbrenner on this one.  When it comes to baseball, isn't the regular season a better reflection of who the best team is?  Playoff series are so dependent on luck and who happens to be on a hot streak.  I don't understand how people put more value into who is better over 7 games rather than 162.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2006, 05:31:00 PM »

No doubt the Mets youth infusion is quite impressive. Milledge is a thug though, you better be careful with that guy!

Wright is impressive, even for a Met hater like me!
yeah he is, hopefully he can be smart and learn from darryl and dwight... Oh my childhood favs how they ruined it all/ Strawberry woyuld have hit well over 500 home runs Undecided
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2006, 07:51:55 AM »

Don't follow Huh

OMG!! He's Alvar Hanso of the hanso foundation!! (The "Lost" fans, if there are any reading this, will get it...I promise).

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2006, 08:01:42 AM »

? George Steinbrenner has had the worst win to payroll ratio in history.

Are you sure about that?  I'd like to see some numbers to back that up.

I mean, through his whole 20 plus year tenure, there were certainly some lean years in the 80's.  But given they've won the AL East for just about every year for the past 10 years, I gotta think his win to payroll ratio, overall, is pretty good.  Of course, you're also somewhat comparing apples to oranges, since NOBODY spends what the Yankees spend...because NOBODY pulls the revenue the Yankees pull.

Now, if you're talking "win the big one" ratio to payroll, I'm sure you're right.  They've spent more, and won fewer WS, than many teams out there.  But, in 20 years, I think only the Braves have made as many WS appearances...and I don't think ANY team has won MORE...

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2006, 08:53:23 AM »

Don't follow Huh

The only way Steinbrenner goes anywhere is 6 feet under and I think the guy's in pretty good shape for his age: I think he's only 70 or 71.......

But ever since he gave Cashman more control over the team, they seem to be doing the right things more and not overreacting like he did from 2001-2005
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2006, 12:21:08 PM »

I agree, A-Rod needs to go.? He's not a true Yankee and never will be until he produces in the playoffs and he's shown that he can't.? H eis among several mistakes the Yankees have made recently.? Randy Johnson is horrible, they signed Shef instead of going after Vlad, Jaret Wright, that pussy Pavano and letting Bernie stick around too long.? The proof that A-Rod was a bad trade is the season that Soriano is having, why couldn't he have played third?? They need to trade him for pitching.

Very well said. All you need to do is look at the teams that won the Series from 96-2000' and you'll see there were a few mercenaries brought in, but they won it without the absolute best players available on the market every year. I mean the Paul O'neill's of the world are hard to find, but those were the types of guys that get it done in the big spots.

Look at the team the Yankees could have right now had they not traded nearly every prospect away for big-name, ego-driven talent:

C Jorge Posada
1B Nick Johnson
2B Robinson Cano
3B Mike Lowell
SS Alfonso Soriano
LF Hideki Matsui
CF Derek Jeter
RF Willy Mo Pena
DH Bernie Williams
SP Rotation: Andy Pettitte, Jose Contreras, Jake Westbrook, Ted Lilly, Brandon Claussen
Bullpen: Eric Milton, Zach Day, Yhency Brazoban, Chien-Ming Wang, Matt Smith, Damaso Marte, Mariano Rivera
Bench: Dioner Navarro, David Dellucci, Cristian Guzman, Andy Phillips

Lineup: Jeter, Cano, Soriano, Matsui, Posada, Pena, Williams, Lowell, Johnson

That team would be absolutely deadly, wouldn't have as many huge egos, and might actually have won a World Series or two since 2000.? The only weak spot is maybe the #5 starter and a couple guys in the bullpen.

Look at the great Yankee teams of the past-- primarily, if not entirely, homegrown talent.? Babe Ruth and Reggie Jackson are the only names that stick out as big winners who weren't homegrown.? One could put Paul O'Neill and Tino Martinez in there, but they were both really just let go of by teams who either had no place for them (O'Neill), or gave up on them (Tino).? Every year the Yankees bade a big name free agent signing or big-name trade, no World Series win.

2001: Mike Mussina
2002: Jason Giambi
2003: Hideki Matsui, Aaron Boone, Jeff Weaver
2004: A-Rod Sheffield
2005: Randy Johnson
2006: Johnny Damon (Coco's better!)

Please don't remind me about some of the boneheaded moves the Yanks made Cry
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2006, 04:50:28 PM »

fucking mets go home then get ice cold all at once peace Tongue

lets hope teh yanks can beat philly
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2006, 04:51:52 PM »

Don't worry Guiliana .....The mighty Yanks will bail your ass out ok
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2006, 06:26:03 AM »

Don't worry Guiliana .....The mighty Yanks will bail your ass out ok

call me mike... yeah they did it two out of 3... My friend went bonkers, when the yanbks blew a 9-2 lead saturday

Weekend at bernies, he's abck from the dead hihi
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2006, 04:34:15 PM »

how about the fucking mets baby,.

Nice call, Mike, I fuckin love it!? I know it's only June and all but they are looking great.

Just calm down Mets fans and see if they can continue to play like this and stay healthy....the Spankees have had enough injuries for 2 seasons in the last 2 months and are still only 2 out in the end of June Shocked

But the Mets look like they can coast the rest of the way especially playing in the shitty division they play in hihi
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2006, 05:54:53 PM »

The good thing about the yankees right now is that Sheffield will be out til' September, this is the last year of his contract so we might just be saying good-bye to him after this year. I pray. I want Cabrera to stay in the outfield.

Also, back To A-Rod: A-rod has a no-trade clause in his contract so in order to be traded, he would need to request to be traded.

But, with the way New Yorkers treat Alex, I woulden't be suprised if he really started falling apart over it.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2006, 07:53:27 PM »

The good thing about the yankees right now is that Sheffield will be out til' September, this is the last year of his contract so we might just be saying good-bye to him after this year. I pray. I want Cabrera to stay in the outfield.

Also, back To A-Rod: A-rod has a no-trade clause in his contract so in order to be traded, he would need to request to be traded.

But, with the way New Yorkers treat Alex, I woulden't be suprised if he really started falling apart over it.

Agreed 100% - I want Sheff gone too
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: