Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 07:50:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Was Axl sentimental at Donington?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was Axl sentimental at Donington?  (Read 5222 times)
meanmachine73
Rocker

« on: June 12, 2006, 05:35:41 AM »

I Couldnt make the Donington show as I had a late flight back from Dublin. However I was at Donington 1988 with the tragic death of 2 fans at the show during the GN'R set. I remember at the time a quote from either Axl or Slash saying that they would never play Donington again unless they assesed the security element of the show. I just wandered if Axl made any comment at the show. It must have been a sentimental moment looking over the same field as 1988. Those kind of memories are hard to put to the back of your mind.

Let's face it anyone thats been to Donington will tell you they care FUCK ALL about the fans, the facilities are poor, security is non existant and the organisers are much more interested in cramming fans into the show like sardines. Every donington I have been to since 1987 has had bottles of piss flying through the air. Unfortunately like it or not, Donington isnt going to change. Then again it may just take another tragedy for people to take notice..    Angry

Keep em under your wheels.
mikepatton
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 09:54:17 AM »

I do not think Axl was too distruaght by the events that day cuz later that day he and Lars joined Megadeth on stage...It is alao where they filmed part of the Pradise City video......I think Donington holds more good memoriues than band for Axl..It is also the first show they ever played at a festival
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 10:50:26 AM »

I do not think Axl was too distruaght by the events that day cuz later that day he and Lars joined Megadeth on stage...It is alao where they filmed part of the Pradise City video......I think Donington holds more good memoriues than band for Axl..It is also the first show they ever played at a festival

yeah but the reason they filmed that for the paradise city was to honor the 2 fans that died during that concert
suicide
VIP

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 11:02:33 AM »

yeah but the reason they filmed that for the paradise city was to honor the 2 fans that died during that concert

How do you know, have you read this somewhere? I thought it was just a coincidence 'cause back in 88 they didn't film all their concerts.
meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 11:22:22 AM »

The band didnt realise the 2 fans had died until they were on concorde on their way back to the states. Their manager at the time told them. The band were absolutely gutted. I remember an old interview when one of the guys said they all broke down in tears.

Paradise City was being filmed at Donington with footage to be used regardless of what happened to the 2 kids that died. Afterall it was a HUGE concert for the band.

My point for discussion was to simply ascertain if Axl made any mention to the events of 1988.? To suggest that either the band or Axl wasn't effected by those events is very disrespectful to those innocent kids that were there for a good time and didnt go home.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 11:27:57 AM by meanmachine73 » Logged

AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 11:33:19 AM »

axl and lars were onstage with megadeth?? when?  what did they perform?
meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 11:33:52 AM »

Anarchy in the UK if I recall... Huh

wadey
Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 02:02:47 PM »

he was sentimental when he nearly slipped on his ass near the end of sweet child  hihi

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
Mattattack
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 03:18:18 PM »

I'm sure he was feeling sentimental when he was covered in piss. I imagine he said to himself, " Only a few months to go of putting up with these limey bastards and then Clear channel will let me come back to North America, and begin the real Chinese Democracy tour".
Decadence
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 03:20:01 PM »

Nah, Axl wasn't sentimental at all last night.  The crowd were not the best and he threw a couple of tantrums so in all, did not seem too chuffed to be there.  He picked up towards the middle of the set and it all came ok in the end, but he didn't really mention anything in relation to that situation. 
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 04:50:39 PM »

he was sentimental when he nearly slipped on his ass near the end of sweet child? hihi

was it from a piss bottle??
Mattattack
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 07:50:13 PM »

Fucking Piss Jugs, was Axl on the set of the Trailer Park Boys! Axl On the Trailer Park boys would be great promotion for Chinese Democracy in Canada. 
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 09:19:20 PM »

The band didnt realise the 2 fans had died until they were on concorde on their way back to the states. Their manager at the time told them. The band were absolutely gutted. I remember an old interview when one of the guys said they all broke down in tears.

Paradise City was being filmed at Donington with footage to be used regardless of what happened to the 2 kids that died. Afterall it was a HUGE concert for the band.

My point for discussion was to simply ascertain if Axl made any mention to the events of 1988.  To suggest that either the band or Axl wasn't effected by those events is very disrespectful to those innocent kids that were there for a good time and didnt go home.

I think Slash said during Behind The Music that he was at the bar after the show and was told.  I don't think they were on their way home to the U.S.  He did say he broke down though.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Axl8302
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 07:50:19 PM »

he was sentimental when he nearly slipped on his ass near the end of sweet child? hihi

axl didn't get piss thrown at him, or at least if he did he wasn't hit with it. Tommy got a bottle of piss to the head. I think he slipped on a matt or somthing cos the roadies were taping something down on the stage. As far as i could tell nothing much was thrown at him. Cradle of filth had plenty thrown at them! the lead singer said axl told him if the crowd didn't make much noise he would go home!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 07:53:52 PM by Axl8302 » Logged

If love is blind i guess i'l buy myself a cane..
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 08:02:24 PM »

My point for discussion was to simply ascertain if Axl made any mention to the events of 1988.? To suggest that either the band or Axl wasn't effected by those events is very disrespectful to those innocent kids that were there for a good time and didnt go home.

I think Slash said during Behind The Music that he was at the bar after the show and was told.? I don't think they were on their way home to the U.S.? He did say he broke down though.

Yeah I'm also sure that i heard that the kids died after the show was over and they were on the road....i also seem to recall that they were all pretty beat up about it Cry

wadey
Legend

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 11:08:13 AM »

The whole front of the stage was covered in liquid of some sort!
every bottle that hit me on the back of the head was water luckily

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 11:34:08 AM »

there werent that many bottles around - not like someone getting bottled poperly off stage.  yes there were a few, but there will always be dickheads doing that regardless of the band.  people were doing it for fun before metallica - then some joker launched a half full enormous bottle into the crowd.  it would have totally taken someone out - not funny at all.

I dont think axl was pissed at the crowd - tommy was.  axl was pissed at the slippy stage and the sound.
wish he'd passed the mic over like in hammersmith when leaving before YCBM ended - we were all screaming the words where i was!
wadey
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 11:40:42 AM »

there werent that many bottles around - not like someone getting bottled poperly off stage.? yes there were a few, but there will always be dickheads doing that regardless of the band.? people were doing it for fun before metallica - then some joker launched a half full enormous bottle into the crowd.? it would have totally taken someone out - not funny at all.

i got hit by a full 2 ltr bottle of water full in the shoulder and im still bruised..........there were fucking loads of bottles thrown.
i take it you werent near the front. i was right at the barriers just to the left of centre stage and it was like world war 3. one of the guys next to me was wearing a hard hat.....obviously he knew what to expect

codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 11:42:10 AM »

there werent that many bottles around - not like someone getting bottled poperly off stage.  yes there were a few, but there will always be dickheads doing that regardless of the band.  people were doing it for fun before metallica - then some joker launched a half full enormous bottle into the crowd.  it would have totally taken someone out - not funny at all.

i got hit by a full 2 ltr bottle of water full in the shoulder and im still bruised..........there were fucking loads of bottles thrown.
i take it you werent near the front. i was right at the barriers just to the left of centre stage and it was like world war 3. one of the guys next to me was wearing a hard hat.....obviously he knew what to expect

from what i've read you should count your lucky stars the bottle only contained water  Wink
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 11:53:33 AM »

Perhaps off topic, but why is it you never hear of bottles of piss being thrown at American, or Canadian music festivals?

Is it because festivals in North America are much more tame by nature or do you, Europeans take your music much more seriously Tongue

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: