Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 07:48:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Gas customers rage about pump prices
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gas customers rage about pump prices  (Read 10785 times)
SLCPUNK
« on: May 29, 2006, 09:19:10 PM »

By TIM MOLLOY, Associated Press Writer Mon May 29, 2:06 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - Tempers are rising along with gas prices. Gas stations across the country report that drivers are taking out their gas rage against big oil by yelling at clerks and cashiers and sometimes driving off without paying.

"Everyone is suffering at the same time," said Sam Shirazie, a clerk at a Chevron station east of downtown Los Angeles. "If I could help to reduce that pain, I would."

No detailed statistics are kept on incidents of gas rage. But the National Association of Convenience Stores said anecdotal evidence indicates they have increased since prices began climbing in February.

Employees of Fleming Corp., which operates 14 gas stations in Kansas and Missouri, have heard everything from "just a mumble-grumble kind of thing to a cheap shot or blaming the clerk for world oil prices," owner Ed Roitz said.

Division manager Ron Davis hears complaints firsthand.

"Out of all our customers, probably 1 percent does the loudest squealing," he said. "I don't want to repeat some of it. They'll talk about the blankety-blank oil companies."

The convenience stores association advises store owners to ensure that employees understand the costs associated with gas, and encourages them to explain to customers that in some cases they aren't making any profits despite the soaring price of fuel. Retailers make about two-thirds of their profits from items inside the store, he said.

But, "don't dismiss customer complaints because we're in the customer service business, and anytime you don't address customer complaints they'll go somewhere else," association spokesman Jeff Lenard said.

Steve Grosse is trying humor to defuse tempers. At his Shell station in Manhattan Beach, he replaced the price of gas with the words "arm," "leg" and "first born."

In Los Angeles, Chevron station co-owner Anthony Sinai has started giving free sodas to customers who pump $20 worth of gas. He wants to avoid a repeat of an incident last year when an upset customer threw a cup of coffee at a female clerk and knocked over display items.

Consumers might finally be getting at least a temporary break at the pump. The latest figures released May 21 by the Lundberg Survey indicate the nationwide average price of self-serve regular fell about 1.45 cents in the previous two weeks to $2.93 a gallon ? the first dip since the Feb. 24 price of $2.24 began to climb.

Convenience stores that sell gas are responsible for three-quarters of all gas sales in the United States, Lenard said. But only 3 percent of those stations are owned by oil companies.

Sinai said most of his steady customers understand that he makes just a few cents per gallon and that gas prices are controlled by market forces far beyond his control.

"When I explain that to people they're just totally surprised because they expect us to make a lot more money," he said.

Police in Los Angeles and San Diego ? the city with the highest gas prices in the nation ? haven't noticed any violent trends toward gas station workers. But there have been gas-related crimes around the nation.

In Austin, Texas, a man was arrested this month for investigation of stealing hundreds of gallons of fuel from underground tanks while posing as a parking lot cleaner. He sold the gas from his driveway, police said.

In Fond du Lac, Wis., the number of reported cases of customers driving off without paying for gas doubled to 100 in the first four months of this year compared to the first four months of 2005, police Maj. Kevin Lemke said.

"We've talked to a lot of the owners that are having problems and made some suggestions like maybe they need to start thinking about pre-pay," Lemke said, "but in a small community like Fond du Lac they don't want to inconvenience even their good customers because of a few bad customers."

Retailers in other areas have had the same problem with pre-pay, the convenience store association said.

Gasoline theft cost the industry an estimated $237 million in 2004, the most recent year for which statistics are available, according to the group. Some retailers have installed security cameras, increased employee monitoring of pumps and advised workers to greet customers to take away their feeling of anonymity.

An incident last August prompted gasoline industry groups to tell workers not to risk lives by trying to stop drive-offs.

In Fort Payne, Ala., station owner Husain "Tony" Caddi, 54, was killed while grabbing the vehicle of a man trying to drive away without paying for $52 worth of gas.

The driver, Alvin Dwight Benefield, 42, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to five years in prison.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 11:19:58 PM »

People in America need to STOP driving gas guzzlers period.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 11:30:33 PM »

How high will it go before they change?

What do you think?
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 11:38:07 PM »

Americans pay way, way less than everyone else in the world. Quit yer bitching.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
sandman
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 11:47:48 PM »

what do you consider a "gas guzzler" - anything below...

25 mpg? 20 mpg? 15 mpg?

just curious.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
SLCPUNK
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 12:27:02 AM »

25 mpg? 20 mpg? 15 mpg?

just curious.

What do you consider a gas guzzler?

SLCPUNK
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 12:28:41 AM »

I hear that argument and agree, but not in this thread.

When market price increases roughly 40 percent in a short period it is going to have a negative economic effect on people. So your comparison does not figure into this discussion.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 12:40:49 AM »

25 mpg? 20 mpg? 15 mpg?

just curious.
Anything under 15 in the city and 32 on the highway.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
anythinggoes
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 06:19:54 AM »

jesus they need to come to England we pay the equivilent of $7 per gallon (?0.94 per litre)

and a gas guzzler is less then 20mpg in my eyes
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 07:01:58 AM »

yeah, but they have to drive a lot more than people in other countries-US is a vast country.

from what i heard nowadays in the US its cheaper to send yourself to another city than drive there rofl

homo homini lupus...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 07:10:37 AM »

fucking gas is crazy, pisses me off

40 dollars to fill the tank with 87... Shit is about 3.30 a gallon... Fucking bullshit..

My dad's car runs on 93, forget that price rant
sandman
Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 08:51:02 AM »

25 mpg? 20 mpg? 15 mpg?

just curious.
Anything under 15 in the city and 32 on the highway.

i agree with 15 in the city. but 32 doesn't coincide with it. any car that gets 15 in the city is only gonna get about 20-25 on the highway. and there's alot of midsize cars that only get about 25-30 on the highway. so i think 32 is high.

TheRaven
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 10:18:18 AM »

A big part of the problem is that the price went up so suddenly. The price has almost doubled in 2 years time, and that happened right after the SUV boom. Now all the car manufacturers are trying to make gas friendly cars, but by the time everybody switches to them it'll be far too late. Most people don't buy a car every 2 years so they'll be stuck with their SUV or whatever for the next few years at least, unless they trade it in and take on even more debt because they're most likely upside down on their payment.

Raven
SLCPUNK
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 11:03:10 AM »

I read an article today that said people are still buying SUVs over smaller cars and hybrids.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 11:48:39 AM »

if you have kids, a minivan or SUV is so convenient. and for alot of people it's worth the extra $$. you're only talking about an extra $5 - $10 per week. you barely even notice it.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 11:53:55 AM »

if you have kids, a minivan or SUV is so convenient. and for alot of people it's worth the extra $$. you're only talking about an extra $5 - $10 per week. you barely even notice it.

We survived for years without them.

A 4 cylinder subaru 4x4 station wagon would work just as well and hauls ass on top of it.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 01:12:48 PM »

A 4 cylinder subaru 4x4 station wagon would work just as well and hauls ass on top of it.

everyone and their mother has one, like every woman needs a denali or escalade ,quite sickening really....

Bring back the station wagon so I can see down the street corner for on coming traffic hihi
sandman
Legend

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 01:22:15 PM »

that's cool. i hope you have one and i hope you enjoy it. i could care less if a vehicle "hauls ass" or not (whatever that means).

never did i say we couldn't survive without them.

but we pay for conveniences every day. and for alot of people, this is a convenience well worth paying for. there's absolutely no comparison between a wagon and a minivan. minivans have twice the storage capacity. and SUVs have about 50% more.

and wagons aren't even THAT much better on gas. so the difference in cost is minimal. and many active families are happy to pay the small extra cost for a major convenience.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 01:43:24 PM »

thing I noticed about suvs are people think they are in a tank like tehy are bosses of the road ,that shit pisses me off..

I have a 2002 taurus two kids, I love it .. That's just me though, seems like everyone has an suv wether needed or not..
sandman
Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 02:19:57 PM »

thing I noticed about suvs are people think they are in a tank like tehy are bosses of the road ,that shit pisses me off..

I have a 2002 taurus two kids, I love it .. That's just me though, seems like everyone has an suv wether needed or not..

but don't you think it's unfair to make a blanket stereotypical comment about SUV drivers?

i don't understand the anger towards SUV drivers. it's not the gas thing, cause no one ever mentions minivans, and minivans get very similiar gas mileage.

no one truly NEEDS an SUV. but many people are willing to pay for the conveniences it offers. and i have no idea why that pisses people off so much.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: