Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 08:59:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Kick in the Axl - NY Post Review
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kick in the Axl - NY Post Review  (Read 3938 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« on: May 15, 2006, 10:05:19 AM »

Gypsy note:? I couldn't find that "media" thread so maybe a mod can move this to the right thread in case peoples want to comment on it.? (I already posted it in the "News Network" for peoples to just read.)

New York Post, Monday, May 15, 2006

KICK IN THE AXL
Guns N' Roses are still hard-rocking
By DAN AQUILANTE

May 15, 2006 -- GUNS N' ROSES

THE question of whether Axl Rose has finally satisfied his legendary appetite for self-destruction was on the minds of Tim, Jamie and Jim Bob - three longtime Guns N' Roses fans - waiting on the block-long line to get into the band's Hammerstein Ballroom gig Friday.

"I just hope he shows up," Tim said after recalling how he got burned at Axl's no-show Philadelphia gig back in 2002.

Axl made it, and the guys weren't disappointed at the first of GN'R's four-night series that ends this week with concerts tonight and Wednesday.

He wore a pleather shirt, ripped blue jeans, and his hair was woven into mini-rasta braids. Rose has traded his flat-expressionless Botox-face for a mug that's 40-something handsome yet rugged.

And during the more than 20-song program, Rose was physically energetic and sang with newfound enthusiasm for the mostly old songs gleaned from the Guns' back catalog. Axl crooned the ballads smoothly and snarled his way through the metallic thrashers.

Still, his name and the word "perfection" don't often appear together.

True to form, Rose let the tension in the theater build to audience anger by opening the doors at 7:30 and taking the stage at 11 p.m. He made up for his intentional tardiness and smoothed the ruffled, sweaty feathers of the audience by wall- oping the house with a generous two- hour and 15-minute set.

There were a few sonic stumbles, but the worst came during the passionate GN'R classic "November Rain," where the seven piece back-up band totally overpowered the man because his mike was set too low and their instruments were amped too high.

And while it was good news that weird- ass Buckethead was booted as the Gunner guitar ace and replaced by fretman Ron Thal, a k a Bumblefoot, there wasn't a fan at the Hammer who didn't miss Slash's guitar flash.

Rumors that former Guns rhythm gui tarist Izzy Stradlin would do a guest turn at this show were unfounded. Rose did get a little help from Se bastian Bach, the former Skid Row frontman, who stepped out of the wings for a vocal duet on "My Michelle." Un fortunately, the two singers had zero chemistry.

The show came on strong with a terrific combination of "Welcome to the Jungle," "It's So Easy" and "Mr. Brown stone." They did even better on the cover tunes, which in cluded Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die" and Bob Dylan's "Knocking on Heaven's Door." But the night's biggest bang came during the encore when Rose ripped his way through "Paradise City" - you know, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty. During the ex tended version of that song, Rose prowled the stage and belted the hook-laden rocker as if it were 1990 again.

The sold-out house was much less enthusiastic for newer ma terial from the Guns' "Chinese Democracy," which has been about to be released for the last decade. Of those songs, the record's title cut and "The Blues" were tops.

You might ask: Is Axl still significant in today's music?

Rock relevance is relative to who's doing the listening. While Axl's best songs were composed in his youth, the public is still interested in him as a performer. These four shows, with a total of 16,000 tickets, sold out in just three minutes. Axl may need a little grease, but he isn't broken yet.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 10:08:06 AM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 10:11:56 AM »

Grrrrrrr....

I think reviews like the above are going to convince Axl not to play the new material.

Which sucks.

The way the "spin" the reaction to new material is misleading.  Not everyone has heard it before....so they get less of a "reaction" in that less people are singing along or whatever.  It's not, necessarily, that they don't like the new stuff....it's that they don't know it. 

But, of course, that's not the way the media wants to spin things. Sad

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 10:16:32 AM »

All in all a pretty good review though, pretty accurate if you ask me.  There were def mistakes, but nothing glaring.  The new songs sounded good to me, but my friends who hadn't heard the leaks were def waiting for the next song they recognized to come on.  Axl totally kicked ass though vocally and on stage.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
kunzerd
VIP

5/12/06, 5/17/06, 11/10/06, 11/26/11, 2/10/12,

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 10:20:44 AM »

Grrrrrrr....

I think reviews like the above are going to convince Axl not to play the new material.

Which sucks.

The way the "spin" the reaction to new material is misleading.? Not everyone has heard it before....so they get less of a "reaction" in that less people are singing along or whatever.? It's not, necessarily, that they don't like the new stuff....it's that they don't know it.?

But, of course, that's not the way the media wants to spin things. Sad

i agree.

ive never been to a concert where a guy played some new stuff and the crowd rocked to it. they dont know it yet, you have to give it time to be classic.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
5/12/06 - Hammerstein, NY
5/17/06 - Hammerstein, NY
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/10/12 - Roseland Ballroom, NY
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 10:30:50 AM »

All in all a pretty good review though, pretty accurate if you ask me.? There were def mistakes, but nothing glaring.? The new songs sounded good to me, but my friends who hadn't heard the leaks were def waiting for the next song they recognized to come on.? Axl totally kicked ass though vocally and on stage.

It's accurate, to a point, I agree.

The details I don't have a problem with.  They sound accurate enough.

It's the "spin" we see in many of the reviews.....THAT bothers me.  And we know that Axl can be, to use his own words, "Reactionary".

I just hope he knows that WE really like the new stuff, and he should play it every show.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 10:37:06 AM »

All in all a pretty good review though, pretty accurate if you ask me.  There were def mistakes, but nothing glaring.  The new songs sounded good to me, but my friends who hadn't heard the leaks were def waiting for the next song they recognized to come on.  Axl totally kicked ass though vocally and on stage.

It's accurate, to a point, I agree.

The details I don't have a problem with.  They sound accurate enough.

It's the "spin" we see in many of the reviews.....THAT bothers me.  And we know that Axl can be, to use his own words, "Reactionary".

I just hope he knows that WE really like the new stuff, and he should play it every show.

I think the "spin" is there if you are looking for it Wink

Read this again with an open mind:

The sold-out house was much less enthusiastic for newer ma terial from the Guns' "Chinese Democracy," which has been about to be released for the last decade. Of those songs, the record's title cut and "The Blues" were tops.

He says the album hasn't been released yet - and outside of the die hards, most people haven't heard the leaks.  I think it might have behooved Axl to even say "this is a new song blah blah blah".  But they are right, the crowds energy def came down for the new tunes.  But you are 100% correct, for those in the know, they sounded amazing and Axl should def keep playing them.   I for one am VERY glad we got to hear them.  Compared to most other reviews, this one is pretty positive.  I think most of the reviews I've read have been VERY accurate in terms of the point of view of the average fan.  They think Axl is a wierd guy (the dreds, the showing up late, the reclusiveness), a lot still say, "its not GNR, where is slash".  Of course I would disagree, but I try to be open minded when I think of what the average person would say - I use my friends as a good barometer since they are very very casual GNR fans.  They all had a great time though  ok

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 10:39:11 AM »

I wish I met jim bob, I wanted to say hello... Come to mustang's man.. peace

show was great either way.. November rain was a little off solo wise but the entire show was great otherwise...

ron thal rocks baby, guy is  agentlemen, great talk with him..
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 10:45:04 AM »

The crowds will be way more into the new material when Axl like, you know....releases some new material. Simple as that. Problem solved.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 10:50:36 AM »

The crowds will be way more into the new material when Axl like, you know....releases some new material. Simple as that. Problem solved.
it's true, I have been to all the shows. what one hears in the first five rows is different then the fans in the mid back..
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 01:04:44 PM »

THE question of whether Axl Rose has finally satisfied his legendary appetite for self-destruction was on the minds of Tim, Jamie and Jim Bob - three longtime Guns N' Roses fans - waiting on the block-long line to get into the band's Hammerstein Ballroom gig Friday.

Cool you guys are in the New York Post.

Pretty positive review.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 01:08:22 PM »

I shtis the greatest hits tour part 2?  Where are the "big guns" from CD?  Is Asshole to afraid to play them?  No confidence in them?  Save money and listen to LIve Era!
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 01:15:39 PM »

I shtis the greatest hits tour part 2?? Where are the "big guns" from CD?? Is Asshole to afraid to play them?? No confidence in them?? Save money and listen to LIve Era!

HE played SIX new songs at the first show on friday.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
crimson_joel
Headliner

Canada Loves GNR

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 01:15:44 PM »

I think this is a really good solid, un-biased review. The reviewer obviously didn't have any pre-concieved notions (ie. I'm going to Bash GNR or I'm such a huge fan and I'm just going to write an amazing review).

I think it's def'n better then the NY Times one.

Alright back to packing for my trip to NYC! hehehe.

School's Out + GNR + Daily Show = Priceless.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 01:17:33 PM »

And while it was good news that weird- ass Buckethead was booted as the Gunner guitar ace and replaced by fretman Ron Thal, a k a Bumblefoot, there wasn't a fan at the Hammer who didn't miss Slash's guitar flash.

Rose did get a little help from Se bastian Bach, the former Skid Row frontman, who stepped out of the wings for a vocal duet on "My Michelle." Un fortunately, the two singers had zero chemistry.

Are these points accurate?
From board mates reviews, I got the impression totally different from these.
The writer sounds biased to be honest.
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 01:35:12 PM »

compared to the 2002 reviews that was great except the lame views on new music.  They should get a song on a soundtrack to showcase a studio track instead of live versions as the preview.
AxlGunner
VIP

Ryu says: I am NOT a llama!

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2006, 01:40:53 PM »

Rose did get a little help from Se bastian Bach, the former Skid Row frontman, who stepped out of the wings for a vocal duet on "My Michelle." Un fortunately, the two singers had zero chemistry.

the sebastian bach no chemistry part is bullshit. also,. the slash part is bs as well.

now you know me better
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2006, 01:48:05 PM »

Bas and Axl were great together - just as much chemistry as they had on the Trunk show.  Axl gave him a hug when he first came out and they got close to each other during a few parts, it was completely awesome.

the slash comment I think shouldn't be taken so literally.  Lets face it, if you could pick BH, BFoot or Slash, or even Jesus, to play with Axl on stage, I think we'd all take slash.  I think they were just making the comment that while they were good and Bfoot is a nice improvment on stage then a KFC bucket, you'll never be able to truly replace slash.  Tough to argue.

this is a very solid, honest review.  not everyone is going to be as die hard and unapologetic as most people on this board.  its ok to be critical so long as its honest.  All in all it came across as very positive to me.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 04:17:34 PM by HannaHat » Logged

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 02:43:27 PM »

Lets face it, if you could pick BH, BFoot or Slash, or even Jesus, to play with Axl on stage, I think we'd tall take slash.

You guessed wrong.  ok
As it happened I'd have no hasitation to take BH out of the three and Slash the last. Not that I hate slash or something. he was great in GNR of the 80s.  I simply love the musical chemistry in the 2002 lineup. I don't think that would happen again with the ex guys.

Bh never got the boot. He left by himself.
Moreover, if a rock fan who is not a die hard about GNR saw the show there, they'd make some comment on the rest of the band. 
It's totally odd that there's no mention of robin who reportedly stole the show.

Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 02:52:34 PM »

Lets face it, if you could pick BH, BFoot or Slash, or even Jesus, to play with Axl on stage, I think we'd tall take slash.

You're absolutely spot on   beer
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 02:59:18 PM »

I think it's normal for the oldies...especially from this band to get more reaction.  I mean during the new songs, it was still rocking where I was.  We were screaming and dancing and singing as much as we knew of the new songs.    He hasn't released the album so people that aren't on forums and are just fans of him or GNR in general and want to hear Axl sing AFD or Ilusions stuff are gonna go just for that and they aren't familiar with the new stuff.   
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 03:15:17 PM by DoubleTalkingJive » Logged

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: