Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 02:35:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The GN'R "Greatest Hits" thread!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The GN'R "Greatest Hits" thread!  (Read 68069 times)
lastroots
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2004, 02:59:00 PM »

Duga,

the songs are remastered (according to CD Universe)

/lastroots
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2004, 03:34:19 PM »

I wonder how much different the re-mastering will sound?  I hope not much, I'm going to be pissed if I hear so much about increased sound quality that I have to actually go out with my head hung low and buy it ...

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
scamp
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2004, 03:52:37 PM »

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2092185
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2004, 03:54:27 PM »

Beautiful ... and the wheels keep on turning on the one thing the fans don't want.

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2004, 04:39:22 PM »

Duga,

the songs are remastered (according to CD Universe)

/lastroots

Hmm... I hope that's correct.  confused

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
seniorabreu
Rocker

Sitting in a Chinese Stew!

« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2004, 06:32:05 PM »

check it out http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2092185  
seniorabreu
Rocker

Sitting in a Chinese Stew!

« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2004, 06:59:24 PM »

guess this makes it official
deadboy
Opening Act

... estranged ...

« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2004, 07:50:27 PM »

Two words - contractual obligations.

You'll find that quite a lot of bands release a Greatest Hits CD as the last CD of a predetermined contractual amount of CD's to free themselves to negotiate with other record companies ie Red Hot Chili Peppers released (E.M.I. released) What Hits & Out In L.A. (b-sides & rarities) as the last two CD's of their contract which freed them up to sign with Warner Brothers.

Perhaps this is the last Gunners CD on Geffen / Universal?
Informer 3
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2004, 08:05:42 PM »

I think this may fulfill the contract between Geffen and G & R.

Wink
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 08:11:30 PM by Informer 3 » Logged
PeterCoffin
Rocker

don't wear floppy pants

« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2004, 11:06:11 AM »

Doesn't sound much like it if they are considering legal action against Geffen.

liquidvirus
Mechanical Animal
VIP

Gettin Down and Dirrrty

« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2004, 12:04:49 PM »

Two words - contractual obligations.

You'll find that quite a lot of bands release a Greatest Hits CD as the last CD of a predetermined contractual amount of CD's to free themselves to negotiate with other record companies ie Red Hot Chili Peppers released (E.M.I. released) What Hits & Out In L.A. (b-sides & rarities) as the last two CD's of their contract which freed them up to sign with Warner Brothers.

Perhaps this is the last Gunners CD on Geffen / Universal?
i kinda agree but why would geffen put money into CD and plan a CD world tour if GNR are not agreeing for a contract on it???

Life is like a penis most people don't know it
But most people suck so they usually blow it.
deadboy
Opening Act

... estranged ...

« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2004, 03:47:47 PM »

Tours are paid for by Tour Promotors, not the record label. Ummm, was it Clearnet or something like that, that promoted the tour in Canada that turned to shite? Can't remember. Also, it's in the best interest of Geffen / Universal to pay to promote the Greatest Hits as they have probably already paid a predetermined amount of money to Guns for a (possibly) 7 or 8 album contract, which most young bands then proceed to piss against the wall, inject, snort, shag etc.
This Greatest Hits would probably make more money for the label than it would for GN'R.
At the same time, though, Guns had the world at their feet when they signed with Geffen, so if they had decent legal representation (was it Big Peter Paterno?) then, they might have signed a better record deal than most.
Either way, this is all SPECULATION !

Anyway, where did the information come from saying that Axl wanted nothing to do with this particular version of the Greatest Hits?
deadboy
Opening Act

... estranged ...

« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2004, 03:54:44 PM »

I guess these guys do ...

By Jonathan Cohen
NEW YORK (Billboard) - While work continues on Guns N' Roses' endlessly delayed album "Chinese Democracy," Geffen Records has set a March 23 release date for "Greatest Hits," compiling 14 of the hard rock act's best-known tracks.

The album boasts such favorites as "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Patience," "Paradise City" and a cover of the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" from the "Interview With a Vampire" soundtrack.

This is the third archival Guns N' Roses release since last fall, when Geffen issued DVDs of the home videos "Welcome to the Videos" and the two-volume "Use Your Illusion."

However, according to sources, the band did not give its consent for "Greatest Hits" to move forward and may pursue legal action to block its release.

The group, which revolves around sole original member Axl Rose, will return to the live stage May 30 at the Rock in Rio-Lisbon festival in Lisbon, Portugal. It will be GNR's first live appearance since a disastrous 2002 comeback tour, which was canceled with 13 dates remaining.

As for "Chinese Democracy," it is unknown when the album will be released. Bassist Tommy Stinson told Billboard.com last year that finishing touches were being applied to the set before it would be sent off for mixing.

Reuters/Billboard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEGAL JUNGLE: Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose, who controls the name of the band, considering legal action against Geffen Records to block the March 23 release of a Greatest Hits collection, featuring 14 of G N' R's best-known tracks.

PARADISE CITY: Meanwhile, Axl and his newly revamped Guns N' Roses are scheduled to play the Rock in Rio-Lisbon festival on May 30, their first live gig since their disastrous 2002 comeback tour which was scrapped with 13 dates remaining.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2004, 04:33:54 PM »

Tours are paid for by Tour Promotors, not the record label. Ummm, was it Clearnet or something like that, that promoted the tour in Canada that turned to shite? Can't remember. Also, it's in the best interest of Geffen / Universal to pay to promote the Greatest Hits as they have probably already paid a predetermined amount of money to Guns for a (possibly) 7 or 8 album contract, which most young bands then proceed to piss against the wall, inject, snort, shag etc.
This Greatest Hits would probably make more money for the label than it would for GN'R.
At the same time, though, Guns had the world at their feet when they signed with Geffen, so if they had decent legal representation (was it Big Peter Paterno?) then, they might have signed a better record deal than most.
Either way, this is all SPECULATION !

Anyway, where did the information come from saying that Axl wanted nothing to do with this particular version of the Greatest Hits?

Clearchannel.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
deadboy
Opening Act

... estranged ...

« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2004, 06:14:49 PM »

That's the one.
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2004, 07:03:14 PM »

Columbia House are now taking pre-orders for the GH.
michael mackagan
Got Prostitute?
VIP

« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2004, 12:02:28 AM »

As Guns N' Roses continues to toil in the studio on the forever-awaited comeback album Chinese Democracy, Geffen Records has announced plans to release a Greatest Hits compilation featuring 14 of the head-banging band's classic tunes on March 23.

Apparently, such news hasn't gone over too well with frontman Axl Rose, who controls the band.

Sources tell Billboard that Guns N' Roses is considering suing the label to block the distribution of Greatest Hits package, claiming Geffen never obtained permission to release the collection.

The album would contain tracks from the band's late-'80s/early-'90s heyday, including as "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Paradise City," "Patience" and a cover of the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" from the Interview with a Vampire soundtrack.

Calls to the group's rep and Geffen were not immediately returned.

Rose, whose appetite for perfection has led to multiple postponements of Chinese Democracy, the band's first studio album in over a decade, isn't the only upset by the pending best-of CD.

A group of fans is going to great lengths to persuade Universal Music Group, which owns Geffen, not to put out the Greatest Hits. The disgruntled fans have launched an online petition at heretodaygonetohell.com expressing dismay with the song selection ("there are stronger tracks in their catalog that are not included") and arguing that such a release could cannibalize sales of Chinese Democracy.

This isn't the first time Geffen's cobbled together a "new" Guns N' Roses release in recent years. To keep interest in the band from waning, the label has plundered the GNR archives compiling material from the previously released home videos Welcome to the Videos and the two-volume Use Your Illusion for two DVDs.

Rose, the lone original member remaining in the lineup, has struggled to keep the group alive, hiring a bunch of new sidemen, including avant-garde guitar whiz Buckethead.

The newly revamped GNR hit the road to much fanfare in 2002 with the Chinese Democracy tour--the band's first in more than a decade. But things quickly deteriorated and the tour was scrapped midway through with no real reason given (though sources close to the band's management say Axl's backstage antics, including an alleged brawl with his manager, may have been the cause).

That concert meltdown came after the band sparked a riot on the opening night of the tour in Vancouver when frontman Rose failed to turn up.

After taking a break from touring in 2003, the Gunners are scheduled to regroup for a May 30 gig at the Rock in Rio-Lisbon festival in Lisbon, Portugal.

Still no word when Chinese Democracy will finally hit record stores.

DUFF
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2004, 12:07:42 AM »

I was fixin' to post this. Thankfully, this guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
TIPSY
Banned
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2004, 12:18:49 AM »

Dude, post your source or link beer
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2004, 12:45:50 AM »

I posted this in the news section...
Hey, I sent an e-mail to this girl, Luciana, to put in her site (big site about movies and music) some news about the GH.  She already updated the site with the release news http://www.omelete.com.br/musica/news/base_para_news.asp?artigo=8019. Nothing new at all, but she did mention HTGTH!  

Fans unhappy with Guns N' Roses

By Luciana Maria Sanches
19/2/2004  

Guns N' Roses fans are angry with the Greatest Hits schedule release.

They are not happy because they had wait that the next Guns news would be about the release from the long waited Chinese Democracy. Also, they think the track list is weak and predictable, without any unreleased stuff.

The fans have a petiton online in the unofficial site www.heretodaygonetohell.com and they are spaming the Universal Records e-mail. They ask for, at least, some new tracks and/or some b-sides from the original band.

The unhappy fans news is all over the world right now. Maybe the records would try to be carreful in their next plans. The fans aren't assholes.

The Omelete thanks Bruno do Amaral for the source.

source: www.omelete.com.br
direct link: http://www.omelete.com.br/musica/news/base_para_news.asp?artigo=8044

BTW, I am Bruno do Amaral!  

p.s.: sorry for my bad translation..  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: