Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 11:26:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  robin finck's playing and creative qualities
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: robin finck's playing and creative qualities  (Read 21662 times)
SWINGTRADER
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2006, 01:23:50 AM »

I think this guy is a better performer than Finck  lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPJcKrQLGxE
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2006, 01:31:07 AM »

I don't like Finck's take on some of the old solos, particularly NR and SCOM.  But his work on the new songs has been high quality, especially his solos in The Blues and Better. 
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2006, 02:01:02 AM »

alll you sayin' that finck's playing sucks are just upset that he doesn't paly yous sweet nov rain solo like slash did. imo that was the only solo that maybe he fucked up.
you want him to play exactly like on cd's and exactly like slash. that's not gonna happen. i don't like to see a fuckin' copy of slash on stage, i want to see a guitar player with his own style and personality. anybody can be a fuckin copy.
and to people bashing him for the way he looks: go look in the mirror, you think everybody likes the way you look? no. he looks like he wants to and you have no right to comment on that.

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2006, 02:09:29 AM »

alll you sayin' that finck's playing sucks are just upset that he doesn't paly yous sweet nov rain solo like slash did. imo that was the only solo that maybe he fucked up.
you want him to play exactly like on cd's and exactly like slash. that's not gonna happen. i don't like to see a fuckin' copy of slash on stage, i want to see a guitar player with his own style and personality. anybody can be a fuckin copy.
and to people bashing him for the way he looks: go look in the mirror, you think everybody likes the way you look? no. he looks like he wants to and you have no right to comment on that.

You're wrong.. I don't want him to play the solos like Slash did. I simply want him to play the solos good.. but maybe he just can't do it, 'cause his sound is awful. Yeah, in my opinion all of the solos were played better by Slash.. that's it.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2006, 02:13:58 AM »

^ of course they were played better by slash, he wrote them yes
and i understand that people would prefer to hear slash but he's out. there's another guy on the guitar and he'll play his way.
if cd was out with finck solos and then slash got back, you think he would try to copy finck's work or play it his way?

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2006, 02:17:29 AM »

and i understand that people would prefer to hear slash but he's out. there's another guy on the guitar and he'll play his way.
if cd was out with finck solos and then slash got back, you think he would try to copy finck's work or play it his way?

Buckethead and Fortus did a better job on the old solos than Finck, they played them different but played them well.  Their solos on Nightrain were both awesome, Fortus's was similar to the old one but had his own twist and sounded great.  Buckethead's went in a totally different direction but was incredible, and was one of the highlights of the 2002 shows.  Buckethead also did the outro on NR pretty close to the original with a few small twists, and it sounded perfect, just as good as Slash ever sounded with it.  But Finck did not really enhance any of the old solos
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 03:47:34 AM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2006, 02:19:51 AM »

Again, I'll bring the baseball bat if you bring the dead horse.

And oh, Finck rules!  peace
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2006, 02:32:00 AM »

@shotgunblues 1978: i think finck played the old solos pretty good and the only solo that sounded weird was the nov rain solo. probably that's just a matter of taste. he took a chance. some people liked his playing, some people did not. i'm from the first category. i can't wait to hear cd and robin's work. 10 days till we see how things evolved: good or bad.

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2006, 02:47:41 AM »

Finck's inability to play the Slash solos isn't about interpretation at all. Finck consistantly screwed up his NR solo segment, labored on Live and Let Live numerous times during the European and Asian legs, and struggled to stay on tempo in his Blues solo. These were the three most egregious mistakes that I noticed. He wasn't reinterpreting Slash at all; in fact, it sounded as if he missed entire notes.

Often times, his solo sounded  very fragmented, choppy, not smooth at all. This may be the style that he enjoys playing, but the manner in which he bends notes can cut up the flow of the solo. I really appreciated Buckethead's contribution to Nightrain, Out Ta Get Me, and the outro to NR. He really nailed the technical side of the solo as well as spicing it up with a few signatrue Bucket licks.

I know Robin will shine on the new album but his stage work can vary greatly within a show; from spectacular in Sweet Child to down right embarrassing in LALD. I still can't believe how badly he screwed that solo up in Asia.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2006, 03:04:34 AM »

Yeah, but he COULD play them better. Or maybe not Tongue Like ShotgunBlues1978 said: Buckethead and Fortus did a better job on the old solos than Finck. I don't "hate" Finck 'cause he's not Slash, I "hate" him because I think he sounds bad.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2006, 03:23:19 AM »

Finck's inability to play the Slash solos isn't about interpretation at all. Finck consistantly screwed up his NR solo segment, labored on Live and Let Live numerous times during the European and Asian legs, and struggled to stay on tempo in his Blues solo. These were the three most egregious mistakes that I noticed. He wasn't reinterpreting Slash at all; in fact, it sounded as if he missed entire notes.

Often times, his solo sounded? very fragmented, choppy, not smooth at all. This may be the style that he enjoys playing, but the manner in which he bends notes can cut up the flow of the solo. I really appreciated Buckethead's contribution to Nightrain, Out Ta Get Me, and the outro to NR. He really nailed the technical side of the solo as well as spicing it up with a few signatrue Bucket licks.

I know Robin will shine on the new album but his stage work can vary greatly within a show; from spectacular in Sweet Child to down right embarrassing in LALD. I still can't believe how badly he screwed that solo up in Asia.

You seem to forget Slash's fluxuating inability to play his own solos live.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2006, 04:01:06 AM »

Im doubting whether we should even label Robin Fink as a guitarist. Having the ability to hold a guitar and then pluck some out of key notes isnt enough for me.

ur an idiot, i dont want to start an arguement but c'mon. SLash is Slash, and its also harder to play material that u didnt create yourself. SLash made those solos and riffs, and played the fuck out of them on Tour. so robin comes in and has some problems, big shit?? everyone makes mistakes, even slash. I think robin does a mostly good, and sometimes pretty good job on playing the old material.

and c'mon THE BLUES guys!! THE BLUES!!! his work in the blues is out of this world., i cant wait to see what else hes contributed on the record.

and to not even call him a guatarist!! WTF?? what a baseless and horrbile diss. I am a huge NIN fan and he fucking kicked ass live. the playing and the stage presence was fantastic. cant wait to see him on stage on the 17th.

and also, its hard to fill slash's shoes, i mean, HES SLASH!! any of his replacements are gonna take some shit for not being slash.

Im an idiot because Fink cant play? Go fuck yourself.
There are plenty of people out there who can actually play Slash's material but Robin Fink is a lazy man who hasnt bothered to practice enough. This guy is getting payed good money to be in GNR but he is too lazy to get his technical ability up to scratch. He is a joke and an embarrasment. There are far more deserving and accomplished players out there.

I hope he has been practising his ass off these past four years. I bet he's been too lazy though. Hopefully he proves me wrong on the 12th.

Stupid Head, you r' a stupid head !! ok    he doesnt have to prove u wrong

YOU HAVE EARS BUT YOU CANT HEAR!!!   , what the fuck r' u talkin' about!!!

WHO HERE AGREES THAT ROBINS SOLO TO 'SWEET CHILD' IS ABSOLUTE KILLER, N' FK'N FLAWS' SLASH!!    BE HONEST!!!

now thats a solo that Robin ripped right up!!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 04:02:57 AM by ClintroN Pt. 7-It Is-The Dawn Of A New ERA » Logged

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2006, 04:07:32 AM »

About Robin Finck's creative qualities: He's fucking awesome. But I agree when Killingvector said this: "I know Robin will shine on the new album but his stage work can vary greatly within a show; from spectacular in Sweet Child to down right embarrassing in LALD. I still can't believe how badly he screwed that solo up in Asia."

Yes I heard that boot too from Asia. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The drums screwed up there too by the way, keeping the beat instead of changing/ slowing it. Anyways. Finck is a great guitar player but sometimes it doesn't quite show unfortunately.  Undecided

I hear brilliance in this little Finck interlude by the way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_i081KM1Is

I don't understand why some of you are laughing at this above piece??? The melody, the vibe is awesome, hard to catch. Good melody as well. This man is a great song writer I'm sure.

The other youtube vid one from leeds 2002 before PC sounded pretty bad yes. He missed a couple of notes, played some wrong, tuning of the guitar not quite beeing as they should be. Bad nights happen.

Mr Robin Finck has so much potential, unfortunately it didn't always show on the 2002 tour. But sometimes he was fucking brilliant as well. I'm not too bothered with little fuck-ups (Me, as a guitar player have plenty of my own, haha) he makes up good for it with his stage presence. His solo on November Rain however.....erm..... I don't think I quite have the right to say this (as I'm not in Gn'R, haha)...but....he might want to brush that one up.

I always get the feeling that Finck has kinda.........'jimmy page' written all over him. Sloppy live but (I expect) great song writing. I hope that is / will be the case.  The man has loads of talents and an unique sound! I'm sure it'll show on the album!

Aah yes, his contributions to the Paradise City ending solo was great! The duel between him and Bucket, great great!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 08:14:04 AM by Dont Try Me » Logged

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2006, 08:49:41 AM »

WHO HERE AGREES THAT ROBINS SOLO TO 'SWEET CHILD' IS ABSOLUTE KILLER, N' FK'N FLAWS' SLASH!!? ? BE HONEST!!!

now thats a solo that Robin ripped right up!!!

yea well....slash has one thing over robin as far as SCOM is concerned....he fucking wrote it

can't compare slash to robin and i don't want to....IMO slash is better..by far  but to each their own

and as a joke....i think i know why CD is taking so long.....cuz it's taken Robin 9 years to come up with 13 good songs hihi peace

supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2006, 10:25:14 AM »

^ so when robin plays great one of slash's solos it's hard to admit it but when robin plays a solo different or makes a mistake he's a lame guitar player?

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2006, 10:41:56 AM »

^ so when robin plays great one of slash's solos it's hard to admit it but when robin plays a solo different or makes a mistake he's a lame guitar player?

No Slash did fuck up but it happens....I'm concerned with the constant messing up that i hear...

look maybe it's his style...cuz he messes up the same parts time after tim...but his "style" is not my thing....I really do want me to be wrong, cuz i want whats best for NuGnR.

the point i was trying to make above is that Slash wrote some fucking awesome wicked solos...I have yet to be similarily impressed by robins solos...they seem amateur in comparison....I'm talking about the solos he performed in concert now...his original ones near the end of the shows. I have not much material with which to judge Robin, and like i said I hope we hear some great stuff from him on CD. peace

supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2006, 10:46:54 AM »

at least you're waiting for cd. others bash the guy without hearing some studio work from him.
get cd out!!!

whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2006, 10:48:56 AM »

o.k. has anybody listened to the sweet child o' mine solo that you can hear at the end of the big daddy soundtrack recently ?; when the old gnr morphes into the "new" gnr from 1999 (no bucket, no brain); do that and still say that robin fucks old gnr up... hard thing to do

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2006, 10:51:52 AM »

at least you're waiting for cd. others bash the guy without hearing some studio work from him.
get cd out!!!

Hey its all good. I'm dying to hear CD as well...and I want it to be great too beer but I'm still an GnR fan cuz of Axl...I don't know the rest of the guys well enough to care who is in the band at this stage Undecided

hmmmm....whiny...we have no proof that it is robin on it though. Everything is speculation at this point....I wanna see credits on CD so I know who does what peace

ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2006, 03:55:08 PM »

get cd out!!!

Hey its all good. I'm dying to hear CD as well...and I want it to be great too beer but I'm still an GnR fan cuz of Axl...I don't know the rest of the guys well enough to care who is in the band at this stage Undecided

hmmmm....whiny...we have no proof that it is robin on it though. Everything is speculation at this point....I wanna see credits on CD so I know who does what peace
just get a fuckin' bootleg....(London, Canada. 02') n' see 4 yourself.............how do u like them apples!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: