Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 09:09:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  ONE BIG NEGATIVE-WHERES THE ROCK???
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ONE BIG NEGATIVE-WHERES THE ROCK???  (Read 14177 times)
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2006, 07:37:09 AM »

who gives a shit ?

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Mr. Sinister
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2006, 08:02:45 AM »

Eh, Axl pretty much said that they re-recorded Appetite to capture the energy on that record -

Like them or not, I think most people can agree that comparitively, the UYI records were missing that "lightning in a bottle" energy. I even read a review recently that called both records "poorly paced," and I definitely agree.

With Chinese Democracy, he's aiming to get that energy back, and you can hear it in songs like "Better."
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2006, 08:05:50 AM »

I feel the energy in say civil war, coma, dtj,  or ycbm in comparison to better..  i think the illusions were done great just had a few songs that weren't good in gnr terms..
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2006, 08:26:52 AM »

Axl was never one to repeat the same thing over and over again

Then why did he re-record Appetite with the new band? ?hihi

So they could learn the songs and get them to to the level they need to be at in order to do the old material justice when they played it live.

Why does one have to re record an album to learn how to play them.. Didn't gilby and matt learn the entire playlist in a few weeks?

How would I know. I'm not Axl, so I'm not the one to answer your question.
waxlrose1987
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2006, 09:16:59 AM »

In the CBGB interview Axl said he wanted to try something different for the next record...Well its been 18 years later so i think the statute of limitations is up.........If Axl is so "over" the AFD sound then why play 10 songs live from that record every night?Huh

Its like Metallica putting out shit like Load and St Anger yet when they play live all they play is Puppets/Lightning and the black album....If you are gonna play all the 'old faves' live why not continue writing songs in that style...........
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2006, 09:28:09 AM »

In the CBGB interview Axl said he wanted to try something different for the next record...Well its been 18 years later so i think the statute of limitations is up.........If Axl is so "over" the AFD sound then why play 10 songs live from that record every night?Huh

Its like Metallica putting out shit like Load and St Anger yet when they play live all they play is Puppets/Lightning and the black album....If you are gonna play all the 'old faves' live why not continue writing songs in that style...........

maybe he knew what the crowd wanted to hear?? That tour was so fucking unorganized that anything goes
badintentions
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2006, 09:32:43 AM »

i've said it before and i will say it again, if you were expecting chinese democracy to go back to the appetite style, you haven't been paying attention all these years. everything that has been written about how this album will sound has indicated that it would sound modern and progressive. Does this quote ring a bell? "Imagine Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti remixed by Beck and Trent Reznor, and you'll have some sense of Axl's new sound."

also, as i've said before, if you want appetitte for destruction sounding stuff there are plenty of bands that are doing that these days. Turbonegro, Vains of Jenna, and Backyard Babies to name a few.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2006, 09:34:15 AM »

who said afd, people just said they were lacking some rockers.. Everyone is so deffensive
badintentions
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2006, 09:37:33 AM »

How are IRS and Better not "rockers"? Sure there are certain parts that are more chill on those songs but they definitely have "rocking" parts. Are you wanting more songs that are start to finish "rocking"? What a generic stupid term.
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2006, 09:43:35 AM »

I dance to Don't Damn me  rofl

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2006, 09:56:26 AM »

How are IRS and Better not "rockers"? Sure there are certain parts that are more chill on those songs but they definitely have "rocking" parts. Are you wanting more songs that are start to finish "rocking"? What a generic stupid term.

I would like some ycbm, scom, or wttj type starts.. We are gnr fans something should be expected regardless of how many years pass and how many new faces occupy this group.. They definetly have heavy parts in them

axl needs to get some shadow of your love going peace
estranged.1098
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2006, 10:03:17 AM »

Chinese Democracy has a rocking start.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2006, 10:05:20 AM »

Chinese Democracy has a rocking start.

yes it does, so does oh my god... I just get the ballad vibe on a good deal of the tracks.. Only if irs started the way it ends with that solo drool
badintentions
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2006, 11:01:17 AM »

shadow of our love??? great song, don't get me wrong, but it was written well over 20 years ago. once again, there are many bands doing that sort of thing, but you are delusional if you think or thought chinese democracy is going to sound like that. the song chinese democracy is unquestionably a rocker, but with an updated sound. just because the first 10 seconds of IRS are not balls out doesn't mean the song is a ballad by any stretch. would you call civil war a ballad???

i do somewhat see your point about ballads though. of the new songs we have heard about half of them are ballad-ish - the blues, madagascar, TWAT.
RichardNixon
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2006, 11:47:22 AM »

Here are a few questions to ponder...

Why did the Van Hagar reunions songs of 2004 suck ass? Why were the Motley Crue songs from last year weak? Because in both cases it was an artist just rehashing the same old, same old. With "Better," "IRS," and "TWAT," Axl has taken GN'R to the next level, without jumping on a trend...I'm sure some fans of AFD wont like the new album, but so be it. Just release the fuckin' album already.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2006, 11:51:50 AM »

shadow of our love??? great song, don't get me wrong, but it was written well over 20 years ago. once again, there are many bands doing that sort of thing, but you are delusional if you think or thought chinese democracy is going to sound like that. the song chinese democracy is unquestionably a rocker, but with an updated sound. just because the first 10 seconds of IRS are not balls out doesn't mean the song is a ballad by any stretch. would you call civil war a ballad???

i do somewhat see your point about ballads though. of the new songs we have heard about half of them are ballad-ish - the blues, madagascar, TWAT.

I'd consider civil war balladish with great guitar work.... As for shadow of your love, I was just having a laugh after hearing part of better where axl screams and though about that song... Well axl had alot of angst back in the day, who knows how much angst one can have after living that posh life for so long..
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2006, 11:56:27 AM »

Why did the Van Hagar reunions songs of 2004 suck ass? Why were the Motley Crue songs from last year weak? Because in both cases it was an artist just rehashing the same old, same old. With "Better," "IRS," and "TWAT," Axl has taken GN'R to the next level, without jumping on a trend...I'm sure some fans of AFD wont like the new album, but so be it.[/quoteBingo...Ive been syaing this since day 1. That is what separates this band form all those old bands. Although the name is the same, Axl is not gonna pin his whole comeback on his old material or make an album that tries to recapture that sound. Its a new band with a new sound.

I firmly believe they played an AFD setlist on the 02 tour so that the band could introduce themselves, the band could gel in a live setting, and Axl gave u one last chance to ehar those songs live 1 last time for awhile.Because once the album fdrops, its gonan be all CD. and then hopefully if they can fufill thier plans, the follow ups....Axl did say that the o2 tour could be considered a reunion tour....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2006, 12:12:08 PM »

"ONE BIG NEGATIVE-WHERES THE ROCK???"

The Rock left the WWE in 2004 to pursue a career in Hollywood.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2006, 12:33:45 PM »

Here are a few questions to ponder...

Why did the Van Hagar reunions songs of 2004 suck ass? Why were the Motley Crue songs from last year weak? Because in both cases it was an artist just rehashing the same old, same old. With "Better," "IRS," and "TWAT," Axl has taken GN'R to the next level, without jumping on a trend...I'm sure some fans of AFD wont like the new album, but so be it. Just release the fuckin' album already.

Next level? I'm sorry but IMO 'next level' means better. Same for this 'Axl wanted to evolve' bullshit. Some people tend to think that 'evolve' means making better music. Hell, no. These new songs are far from GN'R's best work, not even close to their average stuff. This isn't another level, it's another way, another style.

And involving industrial elements means not 'jumping on a trend'?  Huh  Then what is jumping on a trend? Don't get me wrong, I want Axl to make his own music, the one he thinks to be the best (that's why he started his solo career, isn't he?) but saying he isn't aware of trends is simply untrue.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2006, 12:42:41 PM »

what the hell? seems everyone's heard the leaked tracks here.. am i the only one left that's "abstaining" from ruining the moment when i'm driving back from the record store blasting the songs for the first time in the car?  Smiley

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: