Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 09:40:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What is the general consensus on the worst GnR song of all time?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is the general consensus on the worst GnR song of all time?  (Read 51465 times)
greendog
« Reply #260 on: June 18, 2006, 06:53:06 PM »

i love my world... i dig the sound and beat...

by the way, dint Duff say it was still one of his favourite Guns N Roses songs??? peace Go Duff

I think DUFF was taking the piss / being sarcastic dude!

well thats not what i got from reading his post... it would be alot easier to understand though if it was audio or whatever.
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #261 on: June 18, 2006, 07:43:09 PM »

Not into Nov Rain either - to me it marks the decline of a great band into an ego ruled shambles with all the horns, back up singers and all that shite. Guns was rock n roll until it came along.

Good solo tho - when Slash does it anyways.

I know your gonna say 'Buh buh but the song was around for ages before Illusions' So? We didnt hear it before then and when we did it was all downhill from there.

Plus Axl is now more content with writing piano ballads than rockin out. Nuff said.

It wasn't necessarily all downhill from there, after illusions came out GNR were the biggest band on the planet, sure UYI was no AFD but most people at the time still liked them. To this day NR is recognised as one of the great songs of all time as well as still winning best video awards.

Had UYI been more rock and less ballads with NR as a stand alone epic I don't think all the excess and bloat would have seemed so bad but they put too many ballads on UYI and it became sickly and overdone. As most of the people on here have listened to UYI countless times and seen numerous bootlegs of the epics being played and being occompanied by horns and backing singers and grand pianos their patience of listening to the ballads has probably worn a little thin, but it doesn't make NR a bad song. If you played a regular music fan all the singles by GNR they wouldn't say NR was the worst song among them because they would hear the song for what it is and not get distracted by all the other crap that seemed to occompany the GNR ballads.

On it's own as a song, without the bloatedness of what went with it, NR would and does rank up there as one of THE greatest songs ever.

All imo of course  ok

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
Axl_GNR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #262 on: June 18, 2006, 08:36:54 PM »

for me its gotta be november rain
wrong thread. this is general consensus on the worst GNR song of all time, not the best

Elrothiel
« Reply #263 on: June 18, 2006, 10:10:18 PM »

What's up with all the November Rain haters? Must be the same people that said Better and The Blues won't be hits.

Yea I don't get it either!! The mind boggles...

Huh
kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Kevin Federline!!

« Reply #264 on: June 18, 2006, 10:42:03 PM »

KOHD is the worst... always will be for me... The new one sucks as bad as the old one... The drawn out sing alongs and the repetitive nature of the song put me to sleep...

/KFed
Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« Reply #265 on: June 18, 2006, 10:52:42 PM »

If you listened to lyrics, Civil War is definately the worse.

Thousands of GNR fans have died waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released.

www.wonderfulworldofdanny.com
Elrothiel
« Reply #266 on: June 18, 2006, 11:22:22 PM »

Danny are you fucking kidding!!?? Huh Civil War is fuckin' awesome!!
kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Kevin Federline!!

« Reply #267 on: June 18, 2006, 11:28:58 PM »

I dont like that one very much either... its always been right behind KOHD ...

/KFed
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #268 on: June 19, 2006, 01:23:06 AM »

WTF??!!?! If you listened to lyrics??? I personally think "Civil War" is one of GNR's lyrical masterpieces. One of the best overall songs, as well.

Here Today . . .
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #269 on: June 19, 2006, 02:35:38 AM »

Some of you people are insane!  Civil War, KOHD, NR?

Yeah, and I don't like Sweet Child O'Mine either  Huh

And for those talking bad about the ballads.  Believe it or not, it was those ballads on UYI that made GNR very popular.  There music then appealed to all kinds of people and not just the metal heads.  My Dad likes GNR, and not because of Jungle, Brownstone, or Paradise, but because of songs like NR, and Dont Cry.  If they would have continued to produce just pure in your face hard rock, they would not have had the popularity that they recieved.  Remember, there are other people out there besides you.

I guess I got a little off topic, because people are entitled to there own opinions about there worst GNR song, but c'mon.  You mean to tell me that NR, or Civil War is worse than My World, or Since I Dont Have You?

Don't try to spark up arguments with these ridiculous assessments.   hihi 

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #270 on: June 19, 2006, 02:52:40 AM »

No offence damnthehaters but am I not allowed to dislike November Rain?!! Fair play if your Dad likes it - good for him, but I dont see what that has to do with peoples opinions on here. Are we not entitled to dislike a song that you or whoever else may like? Should people love something just because its popular?! If so I hope you enjoy your Pop Idol and 50 Cent collection.

Anyways, if GNR hadnt got so ridiculously popular because of their ballads and frankly horrific UYI videos we would probably still have the classic line-up making kickass records today instead of inactivity, mythical albums and a rotating circus of bandmembers.

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #271 on: June 19, 2006, 03:00:27 AM »

I guess, but it's like someone saying that they don't like pizza.   hihi

By the way, why are you getting so upset?  I said that people are entitled to there opinions.  I just wanted to defend those songs.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 03:02:21 AM by damnthehaters » Logged

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Elrothiel
« Reply #272 on: June 19, 2006, 12:28:42 PM »

Don't worry DTH, I get where you're comin' from! Smiley

IMO though... I think some of you people are just saying you don't like those classic songs because you want to appear as an intellectual Gn'R fan.... if people didn't get "onto you" like this, you'd probably say you didn't like Estranged either.

Grow up, swallow your pride, and quit trying to be elitist. It isn't working.

Well... that's my 2 cents.
marty
Rocker

One Vodka For Every Ghost

« Reply #273 on: June 19, 2006, 12:41:31 PM »

"civil War"Huh? are you mental??? civil war totally kicks arse!!! peace
my world (it is a serious song, that's y it's shocking, if ne1 else did it it wud be a piss take, but axl was serious! Lips Sealed Undecided Shocked )
or knocking on heavens door, good song, but really gets on ur tits after a while
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #274 on: June 19, 2006, 02:53:57 PM »

"civil War"Huh? are you mental??? civil war totally kicks arse!!! peace
my world (it is a serious song, that's y it's shocking, if ne1 else did it it wud be a piss take, but axl was serious! Lips Sealed Undecided Shocked )
or knocking on heavens door, good song, but really gets on ur tits after a while

I can't say that during any one of the million times I've heard Civil War, that the thought " What awful lyrics " even remotely came into my head confused

The lyrics are some of the best known GNR lyrics out there, and require some good thought , IMO
AXLzLady
Opening Act

Metal Maiden

« Reply #275 on: June 19, 2006, 03:35:45 PM »

MY WORLD!
for the love of God, why did that song end the epic UYI albums? it's hands down the worst GNR track

Elrothiel
« Reply #276 on: June 19, 2006, 05:49:47 PM »

Actually I don't think that one bit. Its just different, and that's why people are reluctant to like it: They do not like what they don't understand.

That song ended the UYIs for a reason. I do not know fully what that reason is, but I do like the song. I didn't at first, but when I actually listened to it more, I found that I actually quite liked it.... there's just something special about it.

Only thing I don't like is the positioning of the song... right after Don't Cry [alt lyrics], which is a very aesthetically pleasing to the ears song... and then when you're nice and chilled... My World comes on and its a huge big shock to the system.

THAT is the main reason I think people don't like it. They don't not like the song, they just don't like the positioning, and they blame it on the song being different and get it into their heads that they don't like the song.

.... give it a chance!
Shirell
« Reply #277 on: June 19, 2006, 05:53:17 PM »

My least favourite song is Shotgun Blues.  I actually like My World, call me weird but .........
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #278 on: June 19, 2006, 07:09:00 PM »

My least favourite song is Shotgun Blues.? I actually like My World, call me weird but .........

That would make two of us. That shit is funny cool. I don't think people get it. Fuckin squares...

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Elrothiel
« Reply #279 on: June 19, 2006, 07:12:47 PM »

My least favourite song is Shotgun Blues.  I actually like My World, call me weird but .........

That would make two of us. That shit is funny cool. I don't think people get it. Fuckin squares...

Errr.... THREE!!! You missed out my post!! crying
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: