Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 08:13:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Avenged Sevenfold
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Avenged Sevenfold  (Read 78052 times)
fear the juggalo 2
Rocker

« Reply #240 on: October 14, 2010, 12:28:06 AM »

i agree bodhi, they get better on every tour. this last tour was unreal. the stage show was top notch. i dont think there is a better live act on tour right now. (sorry guns). it really is a unbelievable show. if they could get a gnr/a7x tour that would be a dream. i cant see how any gnr fans could deny a7x if they saw that nightmare tour. but seeing them in the early days was different . i remember them getting booed off the stage when they opened for shadows fall & poison the well. ohh have times changed!
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #241 on: October 14, 2010, 09:26:33 AM »

yeah the album before City of Evil is called "Waking the Fallen" and is still regarded by many as their best album.  FYI the vocals are different on "Waking the Fallen"  Matt screams the verses on most songs and sings the chorus, they were a big part of the Orange County Metalcore scene at that time, and that was their style.

Yeah, I've seen some live footage of them playing some Waking the Fallen material, and I'm not a fan of the screaming vocals, I'm glad he shifted to more melodic, actual singing.

yeah me too...The actual singing he does on "Waking the Fallen" is great, like the choruses and stuff...Unholy Confessons, Chapter 4, Second Heartbeat, I Wont see you Tonight Part 1, are some of my favorites on that, but they are all good.

I saw a double CD for sale of their first two albums together, which I'll probably pick up next week.
I dig some songs on City of Evil, but I'm absolutely in love with the self-titled album, well, the first half of it anyway. Just awesome, awesome heavy rock!

How does the new album Nightmare compare to their other albums?

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #242 on: October 14, 2010, 11:17:40 AM »

In my opinion "Nightmare" is their best album with the self titled and "Waking the Fallen"  being tied for a very close second.  "Nightmare" just is a very complete record, great solos, ballads, heavy stuff, catchy choruses its pretty much everything I have loved about this band over the past 6 years all rolled into one package. I really feel like it is the best hard rock record of the last decade for sure.  I like how they are not scared to do anything.  For instance the end of self titled there is a song called "A little Piece of Heaven" and that thing is so far out of left field.  They worked with Danny Elfman's(Beetlejuice theme) orchestra on that one.  Then they have a country ballad at the end with "Dear God"  I like that they dont feel like they have to fit a certain genre. 
fear the juggalo 2
Rocker

« Reply #243 on: October 14, 2010, 02:04:31 PM »

nightmare is their ".and justice for all". not that it sounds like justice, but its their comming out. nightmare has everything. imo it will go down as one of the great hard rock albums of all time. if they release "buried alive", it will do what "one" did for metallica. the song is that good!
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #244 on: October 16, 2010, 12:21:07 AM »

In my opinion "Nightmare" is their best album with the self titled and "Waking the Fallen"  being tied for a very close second.  "Nightmare" just is a very complete record, great solos, ballads, heavy stuff, catchy choruses its pretty much everything I have loved about this band over the past 6 years all rolled into one package. I really feel like it is the best hard rock record of the last decade for sure.  I like how they are not scared to do anything.  For instance the end of self titled there is a song called "A little Piece of Heaven" and that thing is so far out of left field.  They worked with Danny Elfman's(Beetlejuice theme) orchestra on that one.  Then they have a country ballad at the end with "Dear God"  I like that they dont feel like they have to fit a certain genre. 

Yeah, I didn't really get A Little Piece of Heaven when I first listened through. I just thought WTF??? as it sounds like a polka tune in parts. But when I went back over the lyrics and saw the hilarious animated film clip, I have a new appreciation for it. The lyrics are pretty fucked up though - "I knew you would be cold, that's why I bought a heater for your thighs" referring to some messed up necrophilia stuff going on... confused  It's obviously all tongue in cheek though! rofl

Thanks for the write up on Nightmare too, I'm gonna absorb these other albums some more first, then head out and get Nightmare.
I've just gone nuts on Avenged Sevenfold over the last week, and I'm loving them!

I can't believe I didn't get into them sooner!

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #245 on: October 18, 2010, 01:35:26 PM »

its not your fault, they get no radio play whatsoever in America.  This country is too busy pushing bands like Nickelback, Saving Abel, ETC...most people have never heard them.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #246 on: October 18, 2010, 03:42:13 PM »

its not your fault, they get no radio play whatsoever in America.  This country is too busy pushing bands like Nickelback, Saving Abel, ETC...most people have never heard them.
Its so weird how in America the band is like this little cult band.

They are huge in the UK. Probably one of the most popular modern metal bands to come out in the mid 00s and still are.

Other bands that came out with similar success levels at the time with them (which associated them all together at that time) were  Trivium, and Bullet for My Valentine.

html sucks
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #247 on: October 18, 2010, 05:15:04 PM »

Haha, I don't know where you live Bohdi, but here in Vegas A7X is played constantly. I can't turn on the radio without hearing Nightmare. I also listen to a radio stream from Grand Forks, ND and they're constantly playing it as well. They just got done with the Uproar tour, and every review I read about that said they were easily the best band of the night and most people were there to see them and not Disturbed. IMO A7X is pretty fucking big in the states right now. Yes, radio pushes crap like Nickelback and Saving Able, to the point where I wanna strangle myself, but Avenged is far from a cult band here in the States and hardly ignored. They are playing the Joint in December, and I really want to go, but after looking at their recent setlists....10 songs? that's it? an Hour? WTF? I know they were part of a festival, but if the show doesn't get any longer than that, I don't think i can justify a ticket. Hell, I get pissed everytime I see Motley just because they stick to the 90 minute and not a second over rule.

Axl is God.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #248 on: October 18, 2010, 09:23:32 PM »

Haha, I don't know where you live Bohdi, but here in Vegas A7X is played constantly. I can't turn on the radio without hearing Nightmare. I also listen to a radio stream from Grand Forks, ND and they're constantly playing it as well. They just got done with the Uproar tour, and every review I read about that said they were easily the best band of the night and most people were there to see them and not Disturbed. IMO A7X is pretty fucking big in the states right now. Yes, radio pushes crap like Nickelback and Saving Able, to the point where I wanna strangle myself, but Avenged is far from a cult band here in the States and hardly ignored. They are playing the Joint in December, and I really want to go, but after looking at their recent setlists....10 songs? that's it? an Hour? WTF? I know they were part of a festival, but if the show doesn't get any longer than that, I don't think i can justify a ticket. Hell, I get pissed everytime I see Motley just because they stick to the 90 minute and not a second over rule.

I live in the New York City/NJ area..and no one outside of people who actively FOLLOW hard rock know who they are.  That is this area, where pop and rap still dominate.  I went to 3 Uproar shows here and they were packed so the fans are there, but we dont even have a modern rock radio station in the NYC area. My friends who are into Metallica and GNR and all that know who they of course, but random people always ask me what is "avenged sevenfold" when they see me wearing a shirt of theirs.  They certainly have a following in this area, but are far from a household name.  I work for a music channel in NYC and we actually do play them all the time, but we are the exception to the rule.  We have about 5 different Top 40 stations all playing the same songs.
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #249 on: October 19, 2010, 07:22:11 AM »

Well if they don't get played in America, there's no chance I'd hear them in Australia then! hihi

I remember seeing a couple of their videos (Bat County, Seize the Day) on a heavy metal videos show, when I used to have cable tv, but other than that, nothing.
All I'd heard about them was from online, and some rock magazine write ups here and there that I'd read.

And yeah, it is a shame they're playing such short sets. They have a big catalog of great songs to pick form!

They're playing a festival in Australia in February next year, so I imagine it'd probably be the same there.
Still hoping they play a side show of their own too.

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #250 on: October 19, 2010, 10:43:58 AM »

nightmare is their ".and justice for all". not that it sounds like justice, but its their comming out. nightmare has everything. imo it will go down as one of the great hard rock albums of all time. if they release "buried alive", it will do what "one" did for metallica. the song is that good!
Uh oh, looks like your favorite bands gonna be going down hill on the next album release!!!

html sucks
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #251 on: October 19, 2010, 01:39:31 PM »

Well if they don't get played in America, there's no chance I'd hear them in Australia then! hihi

hahah my bad, i thought you were from America for some reason..I need to start checkin those profiles..haha
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #252 on: October 19, 2010, 01:40:55 PM »

Uh oh, looks like your favorite bands gonna be going down hill on the next album release!!!

downhill?  The Black album is the best Metallica album..so they will go downhill after the next album, and then return to be the kings of rock 12 years later...
fear the juggalo 2
Rocker

« Reply #253 on: October 19, 2010, 02:02:50 PM »

as far as the uproar tour, they were not allowed to play any longer. at our show in irvine they asked the promoter if they could play last because it was their home town. the promoter said he didnt have a problem with it, but it was up to disturbed. they asked disturbed & they said "no"! but they are headlining the joint show so it will be longer. as far as the black album goes, i dont like it. i felt like bob rock really messed them up. i live in los angeles & a7x get no play at all here.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #254 on: October 19, 2010, 03:59:23 PM »

as far as the uproar tour, they were not allowed to play any longer. at our show in irvine they asked the promoter if they could play last because it was their home town. the promoter said he didnt have a problem with it, but it was up to disturbed. they asked disturbed & they said "no"! but they are headlining the joint show so it will be longer. as far as the black album goes, i dont like it. i felt like bob rock really messed them up. i live in los angeles & a7x get no play at all here.

where did you hear that story about Disturbed?  Thats dick if they did that.  Disturbed fucking blows, I went to 3 of the Uproar shows and left before Disturbed came on every night except 1 where I stayed for 10 minutes and felt like I was watching a UFC commerical.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #255 on: October 19, 2010, 06:09:24 PM »

downhill?  The Black album is the best Metallica album..so they will go downhill after the next album, and then return to be the kings of rock 12 years later...
Its simplified and made with an accessible radio ready mindset. As far as creativity goes, its a let down.

On song writing though its got some good shit (although ill be honest, im not really a big metallica fan at all)

To be fair though, i think as an outsider non fan, id like Avenged more if they had shorter straight up songs rather than the progressive rock influence and experimentation. For their sound, id prefer that.

(not saying i dont like genre crossing though, im a fan of some very strange bands)

html sucks
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #256 on: October 20, 2010, 11:02:12 AM »

AVENGED SEVENFOLD's 'Nightmare' Is No. 1 Most Played Track At Media Base Active Rock For 2010 - Oct. 20, 2010

AVENGED SEVENFOLD's current single, "Nightmare", is the most played song at Media Base Active Rock for 2010. The track has achieved 34,311 spins and is expected to hold the No. 1 position for the rest of the year. The song climbed to No. 1 on the Active Rock chart in August, where it remained for three weeks. "Nightmare" has also enjoyed airplay at Mainstream and Modern Rock radio stations across the country and was the No. 1 Rock Song on iTunes in the U.S. and the U.K. in its debut week.

"Nightmare", the fifth album from AVENGED SEVENFOLD, sold 162,500 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at the top of The Billboard 200 chart.

AVENGED SEVENFOLD's self-titled fourth album opened with 94,000 units back in November 2007, nearly three times what its 2005 effort, "City of Evil", sold in its biggest week on the chart.

The official video for "Nightmare", the album's first single and title track, premiered on MTV2, MTV.com, and MTV2.com on July 17 and became the second most popular video on YouTube, racking up more than 1,280,865 views in its first week. The "lyric" video that premiered via YouTube has racked up three million views.

"Nightmare" was completed after the death of drummer Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan, who passed away last December following an overdose of prescription drugs and alcohol.

The band recruited DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy to play on the new album and all the band's 2010 tour dates.

Portnoy made his concert debut with the band on July 25 as they played live for the first time since Sullivan's death at the Heavy MTL festival in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=148002&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth.net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29

Axl is God.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #257 on: October 20, 2010, 12:23:06 PM »

^^^ yeah i read that today, that is awesome news.  "Nightmare" hasn't been played at all in the NYC area, its awesome that the rest of the country isnt as lame.
fear the juggalo 2
Rocker

« Reply #258 on: October 20, 2010, 05:08:07 PM »

matt told us after the show, he didnt seem upset though. he said they were gonna roll into another song anyway, but the crew started taking their stage apart so fast.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #259 on: October 21, 2010, 01:09:26 AM »

matt told us after the show, he didnt seem upset though. he said they were gonna roll into another song anyway, but the crew started taking their stage apart so fast.

you met M. Shadows? You lucky bastard.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: