Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 12:52:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The "lost" Gn'R album??
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "lost" Gn'R album??  (Read 26386 times)
RichardNixon
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2005, 08:28:57 PM »

Was Warren DeMartini ever jamming with the band? I read that in Hit Parader years and years ago.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2005, 09:51:01 PM »

Was Warren DeMartini ever jamming with the band? I read that in Hit Parader years and years ago.

WHAT!?
that would be SO awesome, Warren is an amazing guitarist!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2005, 02:37:49 AM »

Wasn't De Martini in that VH1 documentary last year? Anyone remember did he touch base with that story?
--

As for that guitarist, it was Huge alright:

By September 1996, Slash was so miserable that he swore, "I'm going to confront it. Either Paul goes, or..." A month later, Rose announced that Slash had quit the band.

But Indiana wasn't done yet. A year on, Matt Sorum introduced Rose to former Nine Inch Nail guitarist Robin Finck, advising that he would make a great foil for Slash - who could then be restroed to the lineup Rose said, "No, he would be a great replacement for Slash."
- Q Mag, 2001

Did Sorum just allude he considered the whole recruiting Robin only as a scheme to lure Slash back; as in "We can't find a replacement"? Or was he to be the new rhythm guitarist, effectively dismissing Paul Huge - thus opening a door for Slash?

Funny detail on Matt leaving:

Matt: [...] You know, humm, [Axl] fired me 2 or 3 times and he called me back?
H.R.: What do you mean by "He fired me 2 or 3 times"?
Matt: (Laugh) You never heard the rumors? Yes, we all have been fired at least 1 time! You never heard about it (laugh)? Seriously, it's true that he sometimes goes too far. Sometime I open my mouth and I say "Ok, Axl, fuck off!", then he fires me. So? I know he will call me the next day.
- Matt, 96

"Then Paul Huge walked into the studio and made a bad comment about Slash," says Sorum. "I said, You don't say that when I'm in the room." Then Axl laid in, I argued with him and it was over. Huge followed me out into the parking lot and said, Come back. I said, I can't come back, he's fired me." - Q Mag, 2001

Guess Axl didn't call him to come back anymore.

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2005, 10:27:38 PM »

Yeah, we might get a box set of material from all those different sessions if we're lucky. But it will be after this CD saga is finally over. Back in the 90's, I seen a Metallica box set that had 4 cds of demos from Kill Em All, Ride the Lightening, and Master of Puppets studio sessions. It was over 100 dollars, so I didn't buy it. Maybe we'll get a similar box set from GNR in the future. I will buy the GNR set regardless of the cost. Shocked

sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2005, 02:00:59 AM »

In the name of equality, here's a couple of words from Axl:

I feel that some of the recordings we did in that limited amount of time had some of the best playing that Slash had done at least since Illusions. I was there. I know what I heard and it was pretty exciting. - Axl, 2002

Very limited... Late September/early October '96, I gather. But basically enough time for someone like Slash to lay down a good number of guitar parts.

I think that some of the riffs that were coming out of him were the meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmith?s Rocks. The 2000 version of Aerosmith Rocks or the 1996 Aerosmith Rocks by the time we would have put it out. I don?t know if I would have wanted to even do a world tour at the time but I wanted to put that record together and could we have done it? Yes. It?s not something I would want to approach (without Slash) because at the time there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way. We still needed the collaboration of the band as a whole to write the best songs. Since none of that happened, that?s the reason why that material got scrapped. - Axl, 2002

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
RichardNixon
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2005, 02:10:22 AM »

In the name of equality, here's a couple of words from Axl:

I feel that some of the recordings we did in that limited amount of time had some of the best playing that Slash had done at least since Illusions. I was there. I know what I heard and it was pretty exciting. - Axl, 2002

Very limited... Late September/early October '96, I gather. But basically enough time for someone like Slash to lay down a good number of guitar parts.

I think that some of the riffs that were coming out of him were the meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmith?s Rocks. The 2000 version of Aerosmith Rocks or the 1996 Aerosmith Rocks by the time we would have put it out. I don?t know if I would have wanted to even do a world tour at the time but I wanted to put that record together and could we have done it? Yes. It?s not something I would want to approach (without Slash) because at the time there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way. We still needed the collaboration of the band as a whole to write the best songs. Since none of that happened, that?s the reason why that material got scrapped. - Axl, 2002

I wish he'd release it anyway. A half-assed GN'R album of demos from '96 would be better than nothing.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2005, 12:53:46 PM »

Those comments by Axl still blow me away to this day.  WHAT THE FOCK WENT WRONG IN THOSE THREE WEEKS?  Was it Zakk Wylde?  Huge?  Fink?  Snakepit?  Some of the riffs off of Snakepit were pretty damn bad ass if you ask me, but this was after that.  I think that is the album we all want to hear.  And yes, they still have those songs.  Trust me, they still have them.
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2005, 03:21:27 PM »

Well, after going through a lot of this stuff, I could try name a few.

- Inability to decide on a new rhythm guitarist.

Paul Huge was, first and foremost, Axl's replacement for Izzy the songwriter, not Izzy the rhythm guitarist. Why he played on STFD is anybody's guess; ultimately I don't think his playing was that much of a problem - it was the fact that Slash wasn't informed.

Zakk Wylde was brought in for a week of jamming after the STFD incident, but he went to tour with Ozzy afterwards as "everything takes fucking five trillion fucking years to get done", when it came down to writing a contract with GNR. Wonder how did Slash feel about having Zakk around; he's certainly picky when it comes to his rhythm guitarists.

During Appetite..., Lies and Use Your... I had to put up with Izzy the whole time. I never liked playing with him. It was wonderful to escape him on [TSI]. It sounds tighter and so much cooler than anything we've done before. I always got irritated over Izzy's way of playing. It didn't sound right. Before "Spaghetti", we erased his guitar and Gilby put on a new one. It sounded perfect! - Slash, '93

- Snakepit album/tour.

[Axl] just wasn't into what we were doing, so he's kind of rethinking what he wants to do. He just kind of threw a wrench into everything that me, Slash and Matt had worked to. And then Duff came in. Duff and Axl have an idea what the album should be, and the rest of us have another idea. - Gilby, '94

Axl had second thoughts about the Snakepit songs, and when he came around to ask Slash a chance to work on them, they were already gone. This, along with Slash's plans to tour extensively with Snakepit, tightened the situation between the two of them.

- Overall lack of communication

Slash is out with Snakepit, Duff and Matt tour with Neurotic Outsiders, Axl is AWOL... The biggest problem was obviously the fact that it seemed impossible to get everybody in the same room for more than year. You cant' decide on anything as a band unless all the members are present. What made it worse was the fact that Axl and Slash had serious issues to resolve (Paul Huge, Snakepit), and both of them avoided confrontation for too long.

What they seemingly did agree on was the musical direction. Slash didn't leave because of an industrial album. The album that was in the making was "back to basics"-GNR. Axl's intention was to make an album complementing Slash's style, it was only after he quit when the musical direction began to chance.

Elrothiel
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2005, 04:09:46 PM »

During Appetite..., Lies and Use Your... I had to put up with Izzy the whole time. I never liked playing with him. It was wonderful to escape him on [TSI]. It sounds tighter and so much cooler than anything we've done before. I always got irritated over Izzy's way of playing. It didn't sound right. Before "Spaghetti", we erased his guitar and Gilby put on a new one. It sounded perfect! - Slash, '93

Maan, what a fucking asshole!! Against Axl AND Izzy!!
What is his fucking problem!! rant Grrrr!!!!
Slash can go to hell!!
Great guitar player, shame about the assholish behavior.

Shame about Buckethead too... he was alwayz weird, but I never took him for an asshole until I heard that he did fuck all and was only using Gn'R to further his solo career... fuckin' chickenfucker.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2005, 10:28:48 PM »

Slash said a lot of that out of anger because Izzy left him high and dry with only two weeks to find a rythym player for the Illusions tour.  Later, in VR years, that Izzy was the only guitar player that truly got him.  He like Gilby, but Gilby was too "aware" of what Slash was doing.  Izzy really presented the push-pull cocept that Slash needs.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2005, 10:34:13 PM »

Slash said a lot of that out of anger because Izzy left him high and dry with only two weeks to find a rythym player for the Illusions tour.? Later, in VR years, that Izzy was the only guitar player that truly got him.? He like Gilby, but Gilby was too "aware" of what Slash was doing.? Izzy really presented the push-pull cocept that Slash needs.
I agree. There was alot of resentment towards Izzy during old GNR's last days. They all must have known it was basically over, and held some resentment and blame towards Izzy for leaving. I'm sure they realized later on why he left when he did.

misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2005, 11:41:26 PM »

If this album really exists, we will only see it after Axls death. Something like Nirvanas unreleased songs, every Greatest Hits or The Best of, they put one or two unreleased.

If it exists Geffen can release it no matter what Axl says. ie: the Greatest Hits

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
RichardNixon
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2005, 11:56:28 PM »

If Geffen had the '96 demos, they'd be out by now. If the Hollywood Rose demos got out, the "lost" GN'R album would be sure to get released. I'll bet the demos are in Axl's vault, so who knows. My guess is, and this is only a guess, he doesn't want to release it because (1) its not finished (2) he's trying to establish the Nu-GN'R.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2005, 12:49:36 AM »

If this album really exists, we will only see it after Axls death. Something like Nirvanas unreleased songs, every Greatest Hits or The Best of, they put one or two unreleased.

If it exists Geffen can release it no matter what Axl says. ie: the Greatest Hits

That is NOT true since the GHs songs were already released. If that were true then Geffen could have released CD 4 years ago.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2005, 01:21:48 AM »

I agree with Dave.  They have gotten probably dozens of songs for CD.  So I don't think they would realese that.  I guess because it would probably be illegal.  Also, I would assume that Axl is not the only owner of those songs.  I mean, the engineer, producer, Duff, Matt, and Slash could all own (possess) some of those demos.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2005, 11:24:07 AM »

Well with any luck Dell is an amazing Scribe who single-handedly and with remarkable accuracy and efficiency will be able to definitively say and produce evidence of exactly who produced what, when and where. If they can?t do that for you, don?t you need to ask yourself exactly what the hell they are doing? Perhaps they allow you to overreach for their own prophet.

Regardless of what the witchdoctors and nepotistic glorified wish I was an Aaron boy and girl parasites say to pacify Ax?s seemingly endless list of possibilities they may not be manageable. (Yeah I do like that word Dell).

Perhaps someone sane will persuade Ax he has painted himself into a corner impossible to get out of from an aggressive position and he will seek qualified therapy from a Jungian professional that has nothing to gain from his exploits.

From a record keeping perspective this latest chapter in Axl?s life has once again not only tied his hand but other artist who could have moved forward. Way to go!!!! Score another one for yet another round of your pollution in the collective unconscious.

I?ll be lighting my Candle tonight and thinking of you and all your good friends.

That was a strange post. confused

misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2005, 11:06:53 PM »

That is NOT true since the GHs songs were already released. If that were true then Geffen could have released CD 4 years ago.

Dave, Geffen owns the rights to ALL GNR music. It's their money that's been burned  to record GNR's albums since 1987 to right now.

It was my understanding that Geffen were the ones who stopped CD's release in 1998 and told Axl to go back and "touch it up."

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
RichardNixon
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2005, 11:50:27 PM »

Dave, Geffen owns the rights to ALL GNR music. It's their money that's been burned? to record GNR's albums since 1987 to right now.

It was my understanding that Geffen were the ones who stopped CD's release in 1998 and told Axl to go back and "touch it up."

Where did you hear that?
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2005, 07:13:59 AM »

Dave, Geffen owns the rights to ALL GNR music. It's their money that's been burned? to record GNR's albums since 1987 to right now.

Where did you hear that?

indeed, thats not true, just gossip as everything is without Axl's own comments

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2005, 04:27:15 PM »

Dave, Geffen owns the rights to ALL GNR music. It's their money that's been burned  to record GNR's albums since 1987 to right now.

Where did you hear that?

Yeah I have definitely NEVER heard about that.  Maybe the poster could show us a source???
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: