Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 11:34:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The "lost" Gn'R album??
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "lost" Gn'R album??  (Read 26362 times)
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« on: December 22, 2005, 10:51:22 PM »

In this Wikipedia article, there are quite a few references to a lost album of 12-13 songs recorded shortly before Slashs departure.

Im sceptical that it exists myself. I believe it was more damage control at the time from Duff - what do people think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axl_Rose

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 11:10:26 PM »

I'm sure it existed at some point but has probably been thrown into the proverbial dustbin that have been Axl's attempts at a finished album in the last 12 years. But who knows, I truly believe that someday, the enitre story of this band will be told--all these lost years will be documented, and maybe some archived material will surface. Of course, i'll be 60 when this happens, but it will drool

Also:

Also, there are unconfirmed rumors that Sanctuary Music Publishing was beginning to take the early steps of release for the album and was planning on spreading news to reintroduce the band to the world.

Where'd he get this little nugget from Huh
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 11:22:42 PM by NickNastyIII: The Return » Logged

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
RichardNixon
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 11:41:42 PM »

I don't have a source, but I remember reading a radio transcipt from around '96, where duff says they have 12 songs or so, and they sound great. So there must be some songs in the can somewhere, finished or not. Here's a question: If Slash/Duff/Matt has some GN'R songs from 95/96, can they release them? After all, the Hollywood Rose CD came out (feat. Axl) w/o Axl's permision, so if there is a "lost" album, could Slash and comp. put it out?
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 01:09:31 AM »

I remember i have an old Article from 96 where Matt says they have recorded about 4 or 5 killer songs..All great rock songs ..no epics..

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 01:26:08 AM »

Could it be the "Unwanted  Illusions" boot that circulates???
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 01:51:27 AM »

Could it be the "Unwanted? Illusions" boot that circulates???

No it was after that.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Evolution
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 01:52:55 AM »

If Slash/Duff/Matt has some GN'R songs from 95/96, can they release them? After all, the Hollywood Rose CD came out (feat. Axl) w/o Axl's permision, so if there is a "lost" album, could Slash and comp. put it out?

I guess that would be more to do with the record company who own the recordings? Like the fashion GH was released.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 02:01:19 AM »

I believe that the songs were said to be "Not as hard as appetite.. but not as epic as the illusions"... Im pretty sure they were going to be groove based songs.. matt said something about not knowing "Duff could play like that"..

It would have been intresting.. probably just a weird offshoot record.

Rocker
Epic
Experiemental

Who knows... I doubt they'll EVER be released.

gnrevolution.com
icpillusions
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 02:18:50 AM »

put out a "Forgotton Greatness" album, songs that got scrapped.  It would own but will never happen hehe
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 07:30:32 AM »

Matt: [...] We are working on rock songs that last only 4 minutes (laugh). We already did 7 songs and we will write 7 others.
H.R.: Will it be a normal CD or something strange again?
Matt: No, it will be a single album with 10 or 12 songs.

Matt: [...] Even if we don't sell any copy of the next album, I will be very proud of what we did. But I don't worry about it, I know that what we are doing right now is great.
H.R.: What style of music will it be? More like Appetite or Illusion?
Matt: I would say that it's in between. This is not as sophisticated as Illusion, but not as wild as Appetite. It's in the middle. Maybe more groovy. Musically, we are all better. I never heard Duff play like that.
- Matt, 96

--

[Slash] enthuses about the new material Guns N' Roses have been writing. Apperently, the band members are currently trading tapes amongst themselves. "It's amazing stuff," he says. "The songs are really good, and I have a good vibe about it. I wouldn't want to go out and do a bad Guns N' Roses record."

"Well, I think everyone's so pissed off and frustrated at this point that it's inevitable," he smiles. "It's gonna be an angry record, but that's what we were built on."
- Slash, 96

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
joaoalberto
Opening Act

"Turn around bitch I got a use for you"

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 08:00:35 AM »

If this album really exists, we will only see it after Axls death. Something like Nirvanas unreleased songs, every Greatest Hits or The Best of, they put one or two unreleased.

"Just because you're winnin' don't mean you're the lucky ones"
(Guns N' Roses- Use Your Illusion II- Breakdown)
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 09:20:52 AM »

If this album really exists, we will only see it after Axls death. Something like Nirvanas unreleased songs, every Greatest Hits or The Best of, they put one or two unreleased.

I'm sure that Axl deleted every second if he had the chance.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 10:52:19 AM »

I just read that article that sic posted and it is focking awesome.  What an inside look to what was going on.  A must read.
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 11:13:12 AM »

Based on Axl's comments (among others), This I Love is a post-UYI track, which they might've originally recorded during that time. I think it's the one song from the old band that has a chance to survive from the vault. Of course, don't expect to hear Slash and Duff on it if it's included to CD.

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2005, 01:31:03 PM »

I'm sure that Axl deleted every second if he had the chance.

Thats something that really scares me. Even if Chinese Democracy is released, Id still love to hear the music they recorded post-UYI, and Im sure if the record company ever inquired as to releasing it, Axl very well would/or for all know, already erased the songs...

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Brahman
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 02:54:59 PM »

Matt: [...] We are working on rock songs that last only 4 minutes (laugh). We already did 7 songs and we will write 7 others.
H.R.: Will it be a normal CD or something strange again?
Matt: No, it will be a single album with 10 or 12 songs.

Matt: [...] Even if we don't sell any copy of the next album, I will be very proud of what we did. But I don't worry about it, I know that what we are doing right now is great.
H.R.: What style of music will it be? More like Appetite or Illusion?
Matt: I would say that it's in between. This is not as sophisticated as Illusion, but not as wild as Appetite. It's in the middle. Maybe more groovy. Musically, we are all better. I never heard Duff play like that.
- Matt, 96

--

[Slash] enthuses about the new material Guns N' Roses have been writing. Apperently, the band members are currently trading tapes amongst themselves. "It's amazing stuff," he says. "The songs are really good, and I have a good vibe about it. I wouldn't want to go out and do a bad Guns N' Roses record."

"Well, I think everyone's so pissed off and frustrated at this point that it's inevitable," he smiles. "It's gonna be an angry record, but that's what we were built on."
- Slash, 96

so, they made an album theyre ALL happy about, and then what... axl decided to redo all the songs..... with synthesizers??
i just dont get it, what could have happened!?
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2005, 02:57:59 PM »

Do we know if Axl recorded vocals for these songs? This I Love is supposed to be completed, but what other song titles from this era? I remember Zach Wild saying that Axl wasnt doing much lyric writing around 95-96 with the music they had.
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2005, 04:07:09 PM »

The more you crossreference Slash's and Matt's interviews, the weirder it gets. Slash interview was done just before the Pepsi Island Festival in Hungary (August 14th). Matt's interview was done when Neurotic Outsiders played in France (September 23rd ). Matt said a lot of songs had been worked on. Meanwhile, Slash had been out doing Snakepit. Once Slash arrives, Duff and Matt almost simultaneously release their album and leave to tour behind it. Matt feared his touring with Snakepit would jeopardize the band, whereas touring with Neurotic is OK. And who did these seven songs? Slash was not around, not until late September confused

"Let's put [Matt's absence from Snakepit] to politics, put it that way. I think that would have further accentuated the situation between Axl and I had I done that. It was financial reasons as well." - Slash, 95

"Axl asked me not to go on tour with Slash. [...] I didn't want to endanger Guns N' Roses. If I toured with Snakepit, it could have cause serious consequences. It could have divide GNR." - Matt, 96

"I haven't rehearsed with them, or even been in the same room with them, since before the Snakepit record came out (in ?95)." - Slash, 96 <= Namely Axl; Slash shared the stage with NO in late '95.

"I had a nine-hour rehearsal yesterday (not GNR). Tonight, I've got to go home, pack and get on a plane to Hungary."
"The plan," announces Slash, "is for Duff (McKagan, bass) and Matt (Sorum, drums) to take off their band, Neurotic Outsiders, for a while., leaving me and Axl to write stuff." - Slash, 96

H.R.: Guns N' Roses is supposed to be in rehearsal and you're in Paris. Not really convenient?
Matt: Axl is real cool with the Neurotic, he loves the album and he doesn't say it to be polite.

Matt: Right now, [Axl]'s playing guitar and it's like he plays that instrument for 10 years. [...]
H.R.: Since Axl is playing guitar does that mean there won't be any replacement for Gilby?
Matt: No, there's someone, but I can't tell you his name.
H.R.: Is he well-known?
Matt: No. He's unknown. But I can't tell you his name because I don't know if he will tour with us.
- Matt, 96

--

Q: Are Guns N' Roses back together in the studio as a band, or are you recording your various parts separately?
Slash: At this point in time we have only been collaborating together. But we have been doing mostly Axl's material.

Q: What direction will the new album take? Will you do alot of different things like Use your Issulion or a more hard edge like Appetite?
Slash: I would like it to be hard edged like Appetite, but at this moment in time I have no idea what direction it's going in. I have only been back in the band for three weeks and my relationship with Axl right now is sort of at a stand still.

Q:  Is Axl going to be the permanent rythum player? Or is that classified information?
Slash: As far as I know, Axl's intention is not to be the rhythm guitar player.
- Slash, 16th Oct. '96

--

Was the elusive new guitar player Paul Tobias or Robin Finck? Place your bets.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 05:30:16 PM by sic. » Logged

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2005, 04:55:19 PM »

Was the elusive new guitar player Paul Tobias or Robin Finck? Place your bets.

Id guess Matt was refering to Paul Huge because he said the reason his name could not be revealed was because he wasnt certain whether he'd be touring with them, and ultimately Paul left GnR because he wasnt comfortable on the road for a long time, or in a live atmosphere as much as the studio. Obviously if it was Robin, he would have been more than willing to tour as thats exactly what he was for NIN, a touring musician.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2005, 05:17:27 PM »

Could've been. Axl has referred to Tobias as a songwriter complementing Slash's style. This could mean someone, who's brought in to work on Axl's songs as Slash's temporary replacement. Meaning, somone who could step in and keep forging Axl's ideas into playable songs, while Slash was still doing Snakepit. It sounds pretty crazy that those seven songs might've actually been worked on by a lineup consisting of Axl (vox, rhythm guitar), Duff, Matt and Paul Tobias (lead guitar)!

If one wants to play with this idea further, Slash was pissed at Paul Tobias about the SFTD debacle. Wonder how he might've reacted after initially hearing the songs worked by the rest of the band (which he liked), and being told Tobias has been writing the material with Axl, and is set to contribute to the album?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: