Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 11:09:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  It's been 3 years, don't you think the 2002 disaster is old news now?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's been 3 years, don't you think the 2002 disaster is old news now?  (Read 5993 times)
Buddy J.B.
« on: November 12, 2005, 03:12:33 PM »

The rusty return at VMA's?

The plug being pulled on the tour?

Axl being sued up the ass by ex-Gn'R members?

I say fuck it, it's all in the past now. This should be the new chapter start for Axl and 2006 could be the year. yes ok beer
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 03:16:29 PM »

it's true it's all past.. Only problem really is that everything we have to talk about is old news.. Realistically the music the bootlegs shows the quotes from axl rose etc are all old but all anyone has from the new band..

Everyone, or I should say myself would love to forget about everything from a few years ago but because nothing ever happens.. no
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 03:21:13 PM »

Hey 2007 can be the year too! And 2008! or.. 9... or 10... hmmm..  no

gnrevolution.com
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 04:30:38 PM »

I'll agree with the general sentiment-it's old news BUT it's all we got to pick apart and regurgitate. Plus we're appraoching 3 years since Axl was on a stage for his supposed comeback-with a record at least close to being done. That it's been this fucking long gives us a peek into how damaged Axl might have been by that last tour.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 05:56:39 PM »

Well said SuperMike.
No point in cling to the old days.
All's well that ends well, at the end of the day.
RichardNixon
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 06:06:48 PM »

I'm looking at the glass as being half full:

2002:

Crowd went nuts at VMAs-Rusty, but fans were glad to see Axl.
After 10 years, people still went to see Axl in concert. MSG, Boston, Philly sold out or close.
Tour pulled and riots, its good to have Axl back.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 11:26:41 PM »

very old...

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
KillYourIdols
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 06:55:48 PM »

We are still talking about it because it's pretty much the last thing that happened with the band. Hopefully something will happen soon.

~KYI

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 07:55:02 PM »

If a re-emergance does happen, it really needs to be done properly this time

It amazes me that Axl went about things in such a haphazard, cavalier way in 2002.

He looked bad, (not just the braids/attire, but psychically out of shape, which is important given the energitic performances he was trying to deliver), he planned poorly (why was there a need to go to 'back of the woods' type areas - stick to the main centres?) and most importantly of all, he sounded below par. The last part I feel, can be directly attributed to him being out of shape/out of breath.

What was the point of 2002? I know, I know - to blood the band in a live arena. Come on, it was a foolish idea that was a failure in every aspect and most likely the reason we've been kept in the dark the last 3 years. Axl, having perhaps digested the negative reactions he was receiving, or even viewing some footage of performances (VMAs being the pinnacle of embarressment), lost faith in himself again. Got scared, lost any momentum he was gathering.

Firstly, there must be new product. Touring without it now is just insane (as it was in 2002). Secondly, Axl has to take this a bit more seriously next time. He was too arrogant to believe that after a 10 year absence from the stage, he can just rock up, unprepared, unfocused and out of shape and start singing Jungle again and get the euphoric reaction he once commanded.

Perhaps thats why it would be best if this 'GNR' remained a studio proposition.
In all fairness, Axl hasnt been a consistently great live singer in some time now ( 1991 and the occasional 92,93 show). Sure, hes still somewhat charismatic (perhaps this is more a freakish curiosity moreso than charisma though?), but the live vocal chops have long since abandoned him. These folk who claim his 'new' voice is better or on par with the supposedly 'clean' Appetite era voice are either deluded or kidding themselves. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure his studio vocals will be great. Live, however, he does not only himself, but the GNR legacy a major disservice.

If he does think he's up to a tour though, I sincerly hope Axl takes the challenge alot more seriously. He was coasting on former glories last time out. It's time for him to step it up in a big way.

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 07:58:57 PM »

We are still talking about it because it's pretty much the last thing that happened with the band. Hopefully something will happen soon.
~KYI

Agreed. ?I was thinking the other day what it would be like to be a fan if you didn't have Internet, or atleast didn't have gnr message boards. ?You wouldn't have heard a pindrop in the last 3 years. ?Print media would have the occasional gnr reference but some sources keep on saying "Axl Rose - formerly of GNR" and "Tommy Stinson - Soul Asylum bassist". ?You'd have to wonder what the hell is going on. ?You'd have a Greatest Hits album and wonder what the deal was with that (well, I guess that thought is the same whether you're on Internet or not). ?

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 08:12:47 PM »

He looked bad, (not just the braids/attire, but psychically out of shape, which is important given the energitic performances he was trying to deliver), he planned poorly (why was there a need to go to 'back of the woods' type areas - stick to the main centres?) and most importantly of all, he sounded below par. The last part I feel, can be directly attributed to him being out of shape/out of breath.

I didn't notice him being out of shape.  There didn't seem to be a gut in any of the tighter shirts he wore.
RichardNixon
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 08:24:36 PM »

What was the point of 2002?

At the time, he might of thought the new CD was on the way. I really woundn't call the tour a complete failure...I enjoyed the show I went to...
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2005, 08:36:14 PM »

If a re-emergance does happen, it really needs to be done properly this time

It amazes me that Axl went about things in such a haphazard, cavalier way in 2002.

What was the point of 2002? I know, I know - to blood the band in a live arena. Come on, it was a foolish idea that was a failure in every aspect and most likely the reason we've been kept in the dark the last 3 years. Axl, having perhaps digested the negative reactions he was receiving, or even viewing some footage of performances (VMAs being the pinnacle of embarressment), lost faith in himself again. Got scared, lost any momentum he was gathering.

Firstly, there must be new product. Touring without it now is just insane (as it was in 2002). Secondly, Axl has to take this a bit more seriously next time. He was too arrogant to believe that after a 10 year absence from the stage, he can just rock up, unprepared, unfocused and out of shape and start singing Jungle again and get the euphoric reaction he once commanded.

Perhaps thats why it would be best if this 'GNR' remained a studio proposition.
In all fairness, Axl hasnt been a consistently great live singer in some time now ( 1991 and the occasional 92,93 show). Sure, hes still somewhat charismatic (perhaps this is more a freakish curiosity moreso than charisma though?), but the live vocal chops have long since abandoned him. These folk who claim his 'new' voice is better or on par with the supposedly 'clean' Appetite era voice are either deluded or kidding themselves. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure his studio vocals will be great. Live, however, he does not only himself, but the GNR legacy a major disservice.

If he does think he's up to a tour though, I sincerly hope Axl takes the challenge alot more seriously. He was coasting on former glories last time out. It's time for him to step it up in a big way.
Jimmy, that's the best post I've seen here in a long time. ok

jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2005, 09:21:58 PM »

I didn't notice him being out of shape.? There didn't seem to be a gut in any of the tighter shirts he wore.

well he looked a lot stockier to me - some would say he's bulked up with muscle, but it's clear his cardio fitness is not what it was

Id prefer it if he stood still more like in the early days because his vocals have really suffered since he adopted the whole 'run across the stage constantly' thing that he did in the UYI tours - this was compounded in 2002 I felt.

btw thanks James  beer

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2005, 10:23:57 PM »

I didn't notice him being out of shape.  There didn't seem to be a gut in any of the tighter shirts he wore.

well he looked a lot stockier to me - some would say he's bulked up with muscle, but it's clear his cardio fitness is not what it was

Id prefer it if he stood still more like in the early days because his vocals have really suffered since he adopted the whole 'run across the stage constantly' thing that he did in the UYI tours - this was compounded in 2002 I felt.

btw thanks James  beer

He looked "bigger" because he does kickboxing everyday. If you did kickboxing everyday, then you would be alot "bigger" too. That and the fact that he wore baggy jerseys.
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2005, 10:33:56 PM »

I didn't notice him being out of shape.? There didn't seem to be a gut in any of the tighter shirts he wore.

btw thanks James? beer

He looked "bigger" because he does kickboxing everyday. If you did kickboxing everyday, then you would be alot "bigger" too. That and the fact that he wore baggy jerseys.

I think thats being rather charitable - look at RIR 3 pics - wasnt he doing kickboxing then as well?

anyway, the most important reason I feel he should he be in shape is for his voice and stage show. Like I said in my last post, his cardio fitness is not up to speed  - if he's so fit from the kickboxing, explain the panting, breathlessness from the VMAs?

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2005, 10:41:09 PM »

btw thanks James  beer

I think thats being rather charitable - look at RIR 3 pics - wasnt he doing kickboxing then as well?

anyway, the most important reason I feel he should he be in shape is for his voice and stage show. Like I said in my last post, his cardio fitness is not up to speed  - if he's so fit from the kickboxing, explain the panting, breathlessness from the VMAs?

Ever think he could have been nervous? I mean he did do like a huge scream then go from standing perfectly still to then bolting full speed accross the stage. You never saw him out of breath at any of the other shows. So it was probably justnervousness, it was his first real televised performance in years after all...
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2005, 11:01:55 PM »

btw thanks James? beer

anyway, the most important reason I feel he should he be in shape is for his voice and stage show. Like I said in my last post, his cardio fitness is not up to speed? - if he's so fit from the kickboxing, explain the panting, breathlessness from the VMAs?

Ever think he could have been nervous? I mean he did do like a huge scream then go from standing perfectly still to then bolting full speed accross the stage. You never saw him out of breath at any of the other shows. So it was probably justnervousness, it was his first real televised performance in years after all...

again, I think youre being a tad too charitibale

We all love Axl, but come on, no need to blindly defend the undefendable - the guy was out of shape and out of breath

That in itself is fine (although, overweight people dont seem to be as marketable to the likes of MTV etc..), but it affected his voice which is the main reason I would like him to get fit

Come on, all these excuses ..nerves etc... the answer is simple - Axl didnt prepare like he should have and it showed

KillYourIdols
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2005, 12:45:26 AM »

And here you are still discussing Axl's weight. STFU about it already who gives a shit either way.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2005, 01:14:44 AM »

And here you are still discussing Axl's weight. STFU about it already who gives a shit either way.
Jimmy isnt really bitching about his weight. He was basically critiquing Axl's performance, and weight is an obvious factor. He was just giving advice on how to improve his performances. So stop discussing how we discuss! hihi

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: