Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 01:29:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Trent on Axl-from '95
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trent on Axl-from '95  (Read 9051 times)
RichardNixon
« on: October 15, 2005, 11:19:39 AM »

http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/xart38.shtml

ENGLEHART: You did a show with Guns N' Roses at Wembley Stadium in London several years back, at Axl Rose's instigation. Do you get any feedback from him these days?

REZNOR: I heard from him right before we started this tour. That was kind of when the downfall of Guns N' Roses was just reaching bottom. He was just kind of freaked out and was talking about maybe working on some other kind of project. I said, "Let me know. I'm into at least listening to ideas." I haven't had any other contact.

ENGLEHART: He's got an interesting mind. I think there's a lot more going on in there than people give him credit for.

REZNOR: With Axl? Yeah. I feel a certain degree of compassion, just because he was thrust into something that was larger than anything else and then a lot of weight was placed on him to carry the torch. If I had to pick something that I think was wrong with how they were treated it was that no one had the balls to say "No." As in, "No, it's not a good idea to put out two double albums of mediocre material." But if you said that you got fired. I think that's inherently the problem. I think the guy is talented at what he is doing.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 11:22:34 AM »

No." As in, "No, it's not a good idea to put out two double albums of mediocre material."

so does this mean he felt the illusions were two albums of ok music.. No on ever doubts afd though beer
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 11:31:22 AM »

No." As in, "No, it's not a good idea to put out two double albums of mediocre material."

so does this mean he felt the illusions were two albums of ok music.. No on ever doubts afd though beer

Everyone knows the UYIs would have been better if it was a single disc but it was a huge move and it paid off at the time.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
RichardNixon
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 11:33:47 AM »

While I certainly don?t agree with him, Trent?s entitled to his opinion. I just thought people would find those quotes interesting.

Although nothing ever became of Axl/Trent collaboration, I wonder if Axl sent some tapes to Trent.
RichardNixon
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 11:35:40 AM »

Everyone knows the UYIs would have been better if it was a single disc but it was a huge move and it paid off at the time.

A little off-topic, but I have never agreed with this assertion. I feel each album has it?s own feel and vibe, and with a few exceptions, UYI has little filler.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 11:46:35 AM »

I have never felt the illusions were ok material or medicore.. Like most albums on this planet they had a few less then great songs.. Actually a few not so good tunes but the good outweights the bad.. Also they were following up afd, that is a lot to ask from anyone.. Each album did have enough good songs to make up for the ones people disliked.. Anyone can look back and say well they should have dropped that song or made just one album,.. I say fuck that it was cooler to giv ethe fans the most material you can
madagas
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 11:57:45 AM »

The funny thing is that Trent did the same thing in 1999 with The Fragile-a two cd set that should have been one. People who live in glass houses should not throw rocks! Grin  I believe Geffen was behind the two cd thing back in 1991. Anyone could tell that Gnr could implode at any moment-get what you can get, when you can get it! As you can see, they were right. Undecided
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 12:12:16 PM »

trouble with gnr is so much time has passed that we sit around thinking about every possible thing they could have done better.. If the groups stayed together we would have been so long gone away from those two albums we would have other shit to think about.. The last new music by guns n roses was those two albums.. You could have had maybe 4-5 more albums and tours to discuss instead of this crap over n over..
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 12:20:05 PM »

I think UYI are great albums, and not mediocre material at all. ?Afterall, anything following AFD could probably have been described as "mediocre". ?That was a tough one to follow and I don't think anything they did after that would have come close in the eyes of critics of fans.

And, while I do have some compassion for Axl, as well (believe it or not) - with the pressure that must have been on him after GnR skyrocketed to fame- I've heard many times that people were afraid to say "no" to any of his ideas for fear of being fired, and that it was easier to just go along with him. ?Maybe he should have started working on some other kinds of projects after UYI. I think he could have been very successful on his own or with a new project of some kind. ?However, I think he's lost a lot of credibility because he has stretched this whole CD thing out for so long. ?
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 12:27:14 PM »

trouble with gnr is so much time has passed that we sit around thinking about every possible thing they could have done better.. If the groups stayed together we would have been so long gone away from those two albums we would have other shit to think about.. The last new music by guns n roses was those two albums.. You could have had maybe 4-5 more albums and tours to discuss instead of this crap over n over..

Sad, huh? ?

I was just thinking, has there ever been another band in the history of rock n' roll that this has happened with? ?I mean, usually, great bands either completely break up (Zeppelin), some reunite after a few years with all or most of the original members and come back stronger (Aerosmith), ?or they stay together with all or most of the original members intact -not just one original member- (Stones). ?This band, other than Axl, has gone through so many changes and reincarnations that it's not even the same band anymore, but they still exist. ?It's like a completely different band, but with the same name. ? It's just strange. ?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 12:39:40 PM »

Sad, huh? ?

I was just thinking, has there ever been another band in the history of rock n' roll that this has happened with? ?I mean, usually, great bands either completely break up (Zeppelin), some reunite after a few years with all or most of the original members and come back stronger (Aerosmith), ?or they stay together with all or most of the original members intact -not just one original member- (Stones). ?This band, other than Axl, has gone through so many changes and reincarnations that it's not even the same band anymore, but they still exist. ?It's like a completely different band, but with the same name. ? It's just strange. ?

it's basically an axl rose project with a name everyone knows.. Never been gnr to me and never will but I respect axl and hopefully he gives us some music to enjoy in this lifetime..  Thes best second chance I have seen is definetly aerosmith. We all just assume this will be huge and the songas will be all top tunes that carry an industry with endless touring...
The reason things like this never happen is because people know their solo projects are not the famous group they came from.. people that keep the names know they have an easy way of promoting and selling things.. They get endless funds and time because labels hope they can recapture that old glory..

Whatever I loved the illsuions but to bad it was when I was in HS
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 01:40:56 PM »

ENGLEHART: You did a show with Guns N' Roses at Wembley Stadium in London several years back, at Axl Rose's instigation. Do you get any feedback from him these days?

REZNOR: I heard from him right before we started this tour. That was kind of when the downfall of Guns N' Roses was just reaching bottom. He was just kind of freaked out and was talking about maybe working on some other kind of project. I said, "Let me know. I'm into at least listening to ideas." I haven't had any other contact.

ENGLEHART: He's got an interesting mind. I think there's a lot more going on in there than people give him credit for.

REZNOR: With Axl? Yeah. I feel a certain degree of compassion, just because he was thrust into something that was larger than anything else and then a lot of weight was placed on him to carry the torch. If I had to pick something that I think was wrong with how they were treated it was that no one had the balls to say "No." As in, "No, it's not a good idea to put out two double albums of mediocre material." But if you said that you got fired. I think that's inherently the problem. I think the guy is talented at what he is doing.

That's funny, only four years later and Trent released his double album of mediocre songs. And to say the Illusion albums were mediocre was pretty pathetic. 

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 01:47:25 PM »

That's funny, only four years later and Trent released his double album of mediocre songs. And to say the Illusion albums were mediocre was pretty pathetic. 

they are mediocre...

for example the illusions arent even half as good as the white album by the beatles.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 01:56:14 PM »

they are mediocre...

for example the illusions arent even half as good as the white album by the beatles.
Please, the White album is nothing but a overrated pile of dog doo-doo. Remember, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I myself happen to have great respect for the Illusion albums.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 02:27:08 PM »

"No, it's not a good idea to put out two double albums of mediocre material."

Thats hilarious coming from Reznor, the man wouldn't know quality if it attacked him

Quick! To the bandwagon!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 04:44:20 PM »

Typical. People attacking Trent Reznor's music because he said something negative about Axl in 1995.

Maybe we can talk about Nirvana and Kurt Cobain too soon?  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
BabyGorilla
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 06:00:35 PM »

Typical. People attacking Trent Reznor's music because he said something negative about Axl in 1995.

Maybe we can talk about Nirvana and Kurt Cobain too soon?  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

I am never sure why that is a bad thing. The point is Trent made a comment about axl and saying it was not a good idea to release a double album if all the songs are not strong yet a few years later he did the same thing.  Its not attacking Trent its just pointing out something ironic.

Also didnt trent and axl work on some songs together? I know Axl worked with Chris Vrenna (sp?).

Well, according to what you said in this post: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=22258.0, The Fragile is a masterpiece.

"Also gnr fans are not the only one who have waited 5 years or so for new albums.
Look at NIN and Tool fans.
Trent and Maynard both, like axl, take forever to put out albums.
And why? Because they, like axl, are perfectionist.
And it shows in their work.
They albums are always masterpieces and not just throw together."

Why did you suddenly change your opinion on the album? Cause Trent didn't like UYI?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 07:05:32 PM »

It's so boring hearing people attacking somebody's music just because that person said something even remotely negative about GN'R.

Kurt Cobain (RIP) hasn't said anything about Axl in more than ten years, but a lot of GN'R fans still feel the need to bitch about Nirvana as soon as Nirvana is listed above GNR in some poll.

This is the scenario:

Artist X: "Axl shouldn't have released YYYYY/GN'R were never any good/Axl is an idiot/insert own idea here"
Several GN'R fans: "Artist X sucks/(S)he can't write anything as good as Axl/Their guitar player can't play/They're playing in bars nowadays/Nobody listens to them/etc."

It happens every fucking time.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2005, 07:40:48 PM »

It's like a completely different band, but with the same name.   It's just strange. 

how many original members are in the cure right now, except robert smith ?

do you feel it's a totally different band ? i'll say no.

why ? cause the cure is robert smith, he's the essence of it.

we'll see with CD if it's the same with guns n'roses.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2005, 08:13:42 PM »

It's like a completely different band, but with the same name.? ?It's just strange.?

how many original members are in the cure right now, except robert smith ?

do you feel it's a totally different band ? i'll say no.

why ? cause the cure is robert smith, he's the essence of it.

we'll see with CD if it's the same with guns n'roses.

hmmm good point....

also i hate it when people bash the fragile...... it's my favorite album i think it is one of the greatest albums ever...... it grows on u soo much.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: