Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:46:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR = Bad Influence On Society?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR = Bad Influence On Society?  (Read 6822 times)
AppetiteEstranged
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: September 22, 2005, 12:37:05 AM »

today in my pop culture class we had a discussion on the history of music, and my teacher showed various clips including the major rock and roll bands of our time, such as van halen, bon jovi , gnr, etc. He then showed a video about the evolution of musical lyrics and how they evolved from being happy to dark. He showed song clips from slayer,mercyful fate, metallica, and then gnr popped up they showed the lyrics from it's so easy, you know the part that goes, you get nothing for nothing.... and one in a million, then one of the girls in glass goes "that's so disgusting" and the teacher says i have a problem with gnr because i think they are disrespectful towards women, but yet he praises tupac shakur for being a cultural icon yet his music and lyrics depict women being far worse. Angry
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 01:10:12 AM »

Was this in high school or college?
Chief
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 01:30:07 AM »

i don't think they are really any worse of an influence than any other band on the "edge"

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 01:43:13 AM »

First off, what were Bon Jovi doing in a list of bands that have dark lyrics?   rofl

Anyway, the fact that your (most likely) lefty teacher worships Tupac is no shock to me.  In his eyes, a black man with a controversial opinion is liberating.  However, a white man with a controversial opinion is just angry.  Total hypocrite.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 01:58:46 AM »

Who gives a flying f**k what some stuck-up scum-bag of a teacher thinks about the cultural impact the music has on any given generation? Music is all about the release of emotions the artist may be feeling at that particular moment in time. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't like something don't listen! And never try and understand someone's true intentions when it comes to musicial expression.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 02:00:24 AM by Gunner80 » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 02:13:56 AM »

Who gives a flying f**k what some stuck-up scum-bag of a teacher thinks about the cultural impact the music has on any given generation? Music is all about the release of emotions the artist may be feeling at that particular moment in time. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't like something don't listen! And never try and understand someone's true intentions when it comes to musicial expression.

Whoa easy there tiger.... he was just pointing out what his teacher said.  It had something to do with GNR.  I find it interesting what other generations think of 80's and 90's music. 

And its easy to make anybody look like the bad guy.  You could easily turn it around and say 'oh look, Axl wrote Sweet Child for his girlfriend and Don't Cry is such a touching song... he is clearly a loving and caring person.'  Like Axl_Owns_Dexter said, this teacher is most likely a lefty who has an agenda and is willing to bend and manipulate the facts in order to get his message across. 

But I have to go on record saying that Tupac is a great lyricist.  I don't like some of his actual music, but his lyrics really are incredible.  Personally when I think of great lyricists, I think of Axl, Layne, Cobain, and Tupac (I am ready for the slack about the last two). 
badapple81
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 03:54:33 AM »

today in my pop culture class we had a discussion on the history of music, and my teacher showed various clips including the major rock and roll bands of our time, such as van halen, bon jovi , gnr, etc. He then showed a video about the evolution of musical lyrics and how they evolved from being happy to dark. He showed song clips from slayer,mercyful fate, metallica, and then gnr popped up they showed the lyrics from it's so easy, you know the part that goes, you get nothing for nothing.... and one in a million, then one of the girls in glass goes "that's so disgusting" and the teacher says i have a problem with gnr because i think they are disrespectful towards women, but yet he praises tupac shakur for being a cultural icon yet his music and lyrics depict women being far worse. Angry

Tupac a great influence? If you want end up shot dead on a street sure! What a moronic teacher!
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 06:35:14 AM »

this teacher is most likely a lefty who has an agenda and is willing to bend and manipulate the facts in order to get his message across. 

do we have to go the political side all the time ....?

axl's disrespectful to women, tupac is. we know. they're both assholes. Wink

Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 12:56:00 PM »

this teacher is most likely a lefty who has an agenda and is willing to bend and manipulate the facts in order to get his message across. 

Exactly the same thinking here.
Even though GNR it's a great influence in me I don't hit woman at all, I think people should always try to get the best things from anything you hear.  ok

No man can be my equal
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 04:01:34 PM »

Nothing groundbreaking here... just a matter of those teenagers who went along hook, line and sinker with Cobain back in the day about Axl being an "idiot" and "disrespectful to women" etc. are now through graduate school and are swelling the ranks of academia. Another reason to home school. ok

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
WAR41
VIP

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 05:04:45 PM »

Nothing groundbreaking here... just a matter of those teenagers who went along hook, line and sinker with Cobain back in the day about Axl being an "idiot" and "disrespectful to women" etc. are now through graduate school and are swelling the ranks of academia. Another reason to home school. ok

hahahaha well done.  They are unable to be succesful in the real world so they enter the world of academia to get their power fix. 

Something tells me all the musicians mentioned in that class would laugh at this guy.
gnrfan1797
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 05:09:42 PM »

Most teachers are stuck up idiots. I remember when i was in school and i asked my teacher if he knew what good music was like guns n roses  and he asked who they where. I don't belive crap that coms outta there mouths reagrding that stuff. I mean yeah poison isnt that good a band but come on my po didnt know who they where wheni asked if i could go to one of there concerts

joe
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 08:40:00 PM »

Well if this is a highschool class - it's a patehitic one - kids leave school not knowing how to read.  I don't see a purpose in discussing Kurt Cobain's  favourite coffe shop or anything else.  LEARN MATH!!!

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 08:42:17 PM »

Most teachers are stuck up idiots. I remember when i was in school and i asked my teacher if he knew what good music was like guns n roses  and he asked who they where. I don't belive crap that coms outta there mouths reagrding that stuff. I mean yeah poison isnt that good a band but come on my po didnt know who they where wheni asked if i could go to one of there concerts

joe

And you were able to make a groundbreaking decison your teacher was an idiot in what - grade 9? lolol

Try taking their job and dealing with shitheads non-stop

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 08:45:02 PM »

joe

And you were able to make a groundbreaking decison your teacher was an idiot in what - grade 9? lolol

Use your own brain and see what information you choose to believe.  They did that and that's why they make $80,00 / year - hope you fare out the same or better

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2005, 04:25:26 PM »

then gnr popped up they showed the lyrics from it's so easy, you know the part that goes, you get nothing for nothing.... and one in a million, then one of the girls in glass goes "that's so disgusting" and the teacher says i have a problem with gnr because i think they are disrespectful towards women Angry

tell your teacher to contemplate the lyrics to Don't Damn Me.

That's the answer to that type of criticism

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2005, 04:58:07 PM »

Anyway, the fact that your (most likely) lefty teacher worships Tupac is no shock to me.? In his eyes, a black man with a controversial opinion is liberating.? However, a white man with a controversial opinion is just angry.? Total hypocrite.

Jesus - u wouldn't happen to be American would u?

I heard he left the flag in the rain, omg! Roll Eyes

Quick! To the bandwagon!
gnrfan1797
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2005, 05:52:52 PM »

Most teachers are stuck up idiots. I remember when i was in school and i asked my teacher if he knew what good music was like guns n roses? and he asked who they where. I don't belive crap that coms outta there mouths reagrding that stuff. I mean yeah poison isnt that good a band but come on my po didnt know who they where wheni asked if i could go to one of there concerts

joe

Use your own brain and see what information you choose to believe.? They did that and that's why they make $80,00 / year - hope you fare out the same or better

Yeah what country do you live in that high school teachers make 80,000 a year as far as me for being 23 35,000 aint so bad
bad tripp
Headliner

Here Today... Probably Here Tommorrow

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2005, 07:44:41 PM »

have you heard 'Dear Mama' or 'thats why the call you bitch' by Tupac, because i suggest you do.  Tupac had the utmost respect for woman, and he was defenitly a iconic figure and more influencial than Gn'R (hey i love Gn'R but thats my opinion.)

Some of your guys' responses are really ignorant, Tupac was speaking out about the life and violence in his upbringing, while Axl sung about homophobia and rascism(in only one song i know) which opinion do you think is gonig to more frowned upon?

And the teacher is an idiot for not liking Gn'R for the lyrics and whatever wow thats his opinion i'd have a hard time defending Axl's actions(I've never heard of 2pac ever hitting a woman, unlike Uncle axl)

So in conclusion, get a fucking clue guys.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 10:15:43 PM by bad tripp » Logged

WAR41
VIP

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2005, 07:28:39 AM »

have you heard 'Dear Mama' or 'thats why the call you bitch' by Tupac, because i suggest you do.  Tupac had the utmost respect for woman, and he was defenitly a iconic figure and more influencial than Gn'R (hey i love Gn'R but thats my opinion.)

Some of your guys' responses are really ignorant, Tupac was speaking out about the life and violence in his upbringing, while Axl sung about homophobia and rascism(in only one song i know) which opinion do you think is gonig to more frowned upon?

And the teacher is an idiot for not liking Gn'R for the lyrics and whatever wow thats his opinion i'd have a hard time defending Axl's actions(I've never heard of 2pac ever hitting a woman, unlike Uncle axl)

So in conclusion, get a fucking clue guys.

Cool bad tripp.... whether people want to admit it or not Tupac really was and still is an iconic figure.  I agree with you about his lyrics, his message, and his track record of abuse.  Funny, the people who get annoyed at others for classifying Axl as a homophobic racist asshole are the same people who are doing it to Tupac because of what they 'heard' about him. 
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: