Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 11:40:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Would we care as much if this band wasn't called Guns N' Roses?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would we care as much if this band wasn't called Guns N' Roses?  (Read 21373 times)
BaDoBsEsSiOn418
Rocker

Yowza!

« on: July 26, 2005, 03:27:24 PM »

I'm not saying that we wouldn't like this band if it wasn't, but the name of the band does draw our attention.  It would probably be like "hey, i wonder how Axl's new band is doin on their album."  The frustration and demand for Chinese Democracy, in my opinion, wouldn't be as big of a deal.  Your thoughts?

Why's everybody so obsessed with the album?  Can't you just be happy that Axl gets to hang out with rich fashion designers? -MotherGooseLuvR
Lineker10
Living the life of a pirate in the Dominican Republic
VIP

Dancin' Down On The Sunset Strip

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 03:40:48 PM »

I agree - i think it would be smarter for Axl becasue Gn'R the name has all the the baggage to do with the old band, simply calling it an Axl solo project would relive alot of the pressure on him as well as alot of the critisicm. To be honest im not really sure why he has kept the name.

Riot In Everyone!
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 04:09:40 PM »

i agree, why?

the cons outweigh the pros by a considerable margin IMO

I'd approach this with a much better feeling if he named it something other than GNR and I'm sure it would still be a success (provided CD is good mind)

Why not call the band Chinese Democracy? Just a thought, as it is well known now

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 05:12:50 PM »

Axl's Roses keeps a link with the past, but loses the GN'R baggage
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 05:16:59 PM »

If this was an Axl Rose solo it wouldn't interest me.
The chemistry thingy that occurs when the diverse individualities encounter with each other on music, which I hear on the music, is what attracts me to the band. love

About the band name, I wouldn't mind if it was Chinese Democrats or Guns n' Roses.
What's in a name? Whatever, Cool name please.
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 05:19:30 PM »

To be honest im not really sure why he has kept the name.

Because he wants to? 

I mean, he has ownership of the band name, why shouldn't he use it, if that's what he wants?

Maybe it's important to him, perhaps just as important to him to keep the name, as it is for some people to want him to drop the name and call it something else. 
Dust N Rose
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 05:24:07 PM »

Besides Axl started with Izzy the Guns N' Roses. People often say, it should be called Axl Rose solo, but should it really be called that way? The others left the band, they didn't broke up. Axl wanted Guns N' Roses to continue, the others abandoned the dream  Undecided
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 05:28:18 PM »

Besides Axl started with Izzy the Guns N' Roses. People often say, it should be called Axl Rose solo, but should it really be called that way? The others left the band, they didn't broke up. Axl wanted Guns N' Roses to continue, the others abandoned the dream? Undecided

thats fuckin' right n' dont let anyone ever fuckin' forget it!!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Lineker10
Living the life of a pirate in the Dominican Republic
VIP

Dancin' Down On The Sunset Strip

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 05:31:26 PM »

Besides Axl started with Izzy the Guns N' Roses. People often say, it should be called Axl Rose solo, but should it really be called that way? The others left the band, they didn't broke up. Axl wanted Guns N' Roses to continue, the others abandoned the dream? Undecided

thats fuckin' right n' dont let anyone ever fuckin' forget it!!!

If the dream was moving in a direction they didnt want to go or they were unhappy you cant really blame members for leaving. After all - it is unfair to ask members to stay in a band where there unhappy.

And as for giving up the name - i would have just thought Axl would have dumped the Gn'R name as a solo record would have got him more recgonition than one under the Gn'R - with the legacy still hanging overhead - at least in my opinion.

Riot In Everyone!
phaseONE
Headliner

I'm a llama??

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 06:39:09 PM »

No, axl abondoned the dream by becoming a dictator and wanting everything his own way.
He alone killed GNR and to this very day is still digging the hole deeper for GNR by not doing anything after well over 10 years.
If he didnt use the name GNR then he could do what the fuck he likes and sing about fucking lawn mowers or whatever the fuck axl is into these days, but by using the GNR name he will fall flat on his face everytime.

-------and time goes by-------
hyperionmax2003
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 06:48:34 PM »

Besides Axl started with Izzy the Guns N' Roses
He started the band, not the name -> Tracii Guns and Axl Rose did the name

No, axl abondoned the dream by becoming a dictator and wanting everything his own way.
I personally think that when Izzy left, he started "freaking out" with his best friend leaving him.  Dictator might be too strong a word...

He alone killed GNR and to this very day is still digging the hole deeper for GNR by not doing anything after well over 10 years.

I totally agree.  Axl's absence has tarnished the name, and it's not looking good for the future
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 06:55:00 PM »

I've never seen Axl fall on is face , I've seen him fall off stage. I think weather he calls it GNR or Axl Rose it shall be judged in the same manner.

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 07:04:27 PM »

Axl's desire to follow trends is what destroyed the band. Instead of sticking to what Guns did, or going in a brand new direction, Axl wanted to do a grunge record, and then wanted to do an industrial one when that got popular. That goal left us with nothing. So whenever Axl wants to blame someone for the demise, instead of blaming Izzy,Slash, or Duff, he should just look in the mirror. GNR had something special that each generation only sees once in a lifetime, and Axl threw it all away. Deep down, he knows this, and the wait continues.

gnrfan1797
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 07:08:44 PM »

If this was an Axl Rose solo it wouldn't interest me.
The chemistry thingy that occurs when the diverse individualities encounter with each other on music, which I hear on the music, is what attracts me to the band. love

About the band name, I wouldn't mind if it was Chinese Democrats or Guns n' Roses.
What's in a name? Whatever, Cool name please.

I agree totally with this statement
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 07:41:18 PM »

Axl wanted Guns N' Roses to continue, the others abandoned the dream? Undecided

Wrong. The others wanted GNR to continue. They just didn't want to follow Axl's dream. They wanted to stick with the Guns N Roses dream.
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 07:43:57 PM »

I would fallow Axl even if he dident use the GNR name! He have always been a musical inspiration to me! So Axl!  beer

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 07:46:06 PM »

Axl's desire to follow trends is what destroyed the band. Instead of sticking to what Guns did, or going in a brand new direction, Axl wanted to do a grunge record, and then wanted to do an industrial one when that got popular. That goal left us with nothing. So whenever Axl wants to blame someone for the demise, instead of blaming Izzy,Slash, or Duff, he should just look in the mirror. GNR had something special that each generation only sees once in a lifetime, and Axl threw it all away. Deep down, he knows this, and the wait continues.
Yeah, right. Roll Eyes
You know Slash wanted to do It's Five O' Clock Somewhere with Guns N' Roses, right? He wanted to be a fuckin ac/dc, he didn't want to move on...

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 08:00:00 PM »

?Seriously...changing the name would be the dumbest thing Axl could do. ?(yes, I know, you can enter your, "No, not releasing an album with new material in over 10 years is the dumbest thing Axl could do...oh yeah, that's what he's done. Sad )

?I think there was a thread awhile back that asked for new names...no offense to everyone here, but there is no better name than Guns N' Roses. ?It represents everything "Velvet Revolver" tried to rip-off from GNR in a nut-shell. ?You've got the hard-rockin "Guns'" songs to go along with the "What's with the piano?" Roses' songs...and every so often the individual songs have that mix within. ?Gun is to Revolver as Roses are to Velvet. ?It's a nice formula that Weiland and the ex-Gunners utilized. ?That's just how I see it. ? ok

?BTW, not to beat a dead horse, but dammit, someone's got to say it. ?I'm glad the old band disintegrated. ?Look how god damn pathetic some of these bands got when they just went too long. ?Axl's a breath of fresh air. ?A god damn artist willing to take a fuckin' risk and evolve. ?If you honestly think Axl Rose was going to do a grunge or electronica album, you're a moron. ?Axl can sing. ?Can I imagine Axl incorporating different sounds into GNR's music? HELL F'IN YES! ?Do you think the fellows in the band were receptive to Axl's ideas? ?Umm, no. ?Can I imagine Axl may not have used the most effective tools of persuasion to get the old band to grasp his new vision? ?Umm, yes. ?Just sit back and relax, there will be a new Guns N' Roses album coming out at some point in the next 5 years. ?Do I see an imminent release date on the horizon? ?Hell fucking no! ?Half the young people I talk to think Axl is either dead or in an insane asylum. ?I am not making that up. ?The marketing machine will have to get rolling before the release...or Axl will be widely considered a failure (not by me) but by the press and mediocre sales...and I don't see Axl allowing that to happen. ?Until you see an interview with the reclusive one in Rolling Stone, don't hold your breath.

Sincerely,
Axl4Prez2004 ? peace ? ? ? ? ?

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 08:12:06 PM »

Its been stated several times by band members that he did want to do a grunge record. Its a known fact. Same thing with the industrial shit. And to the person who said 'Its Five O Clock Somewhere' would have been the next GNR record: Bullshit! That's one of Axl's lies. Slash took some of the music to Axl, and he didn't like it. Considering the fact that alot of the lyrics were written by the Snakepit singer, it couldn't be a GNR record! Its funny how you guys think Axl isn't to blame for the GNR trainwreck. I wish Axl had listened to Slayer and Megadeth instead of Nirvana and Pearl Jam. That would have been a much more interesting direction for the band to take, and the 'old' members might have stayed with GNR. We might have even got an album out of it.

deliverthecow
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2005, 08:15:39 PM »

I would have alot more respect for Axl if he chose not to call the new project GnR, but the name Guns n Roses spells sales, regardless if the new record is good or not it will sell a ton in its first week just for the curiosity level.

I think alot of negative things about Axl , he has done a shitload of stupid things but the guy is smart, and he knows that the name = album sales.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: