Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 03:46:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Heavy-Metal: yes or no?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heavy-Metal: yes or no?  (Read 35221 times)
StoneTempleRoses
Rocker

Axl Was Here

« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2005, 08:09:30 PM »

O.K I read the first page of this thread so i dont know if it was mentioned but for the starter of this thread, you should listen to System of a Down. There words are very meaningful and show many emotions. Listen to Toxicity or Mezmerize though the first one is a lot more "noise" but its still good.

StoneTempleRoses

Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2005, 10:12:20 PM »

Metal is Dead. There aint been a good Metal bands since Pantera split 2 or 3 years ago. All its is now is that fuckin emo hardcore rapcore metalcore shit. There is no fuckin aggression in metal no more, To all these pussies out there who think they're metal, Get in the Ring.

peace

Bullshit. Bands don't have to be as big as Pantera to be good.

There are tons of good metal bands out there.

Dude I'm not sayin to be metal you gotta be as big as Pantera. I'm sayin that the attitude of metal bands these days is not very metal attitude. Bands like Pantera and even GN'R started shit coz of what they believed in, where as the metal community of today are very lazy i think.
I work for a production/booking agent and I booked 5 metal bands for a venue called the HOUSE OF STEEL last month and only 1 person of all bands had long hair. its just changing and i dont like it.
But thats me

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
MikeB
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2005, 12:22:12 AM »

I like metal for the speed and shred like Metallica and megadeth. I like 70's and 80's metal . i'm not crazy about 90's metal. I hate scremo . i've met metal fans that only liked heavy stuff which i don't understand since i like all kinds of guitar music . i 'd be bored of listening to the same stuff over and over.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2005, 03:07:25 AM »

though the first one is a lot more "noise" but its still good.

StoneTempleRoses

you kidding....noise!!

the first album is the best!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2005, 04:10:54 AM »

I'm not a System of a Down fan but their new single is unreal

"Why don't the presidents fight the war", that's a classic line? hihi

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2005, 12:39:02 PM »

I'm not a System of a Down fan but their new single is unreal

"Why don't the presidents fight the war", that's a classic line? hihi

smoking Izzy? smoking

becuz theyr lazy ass fux that play with themselves wilst many innocent dudes die out there

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
sandman
Legend

« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2005, 02:08:30 PM »

Let me clear this just in case. Zep is not heavy metal.

according to wikipedia, led zeppelin and black sabbath were 2 of the pioneers of heavy metal

Judas Priest invneted the metal we all know and love. Sabbath began something but didnt quite finish it up.

sabbath are the gods of heavy metal and there is no other way of looking at it.

led zep was very heavy in their day, and did many things that hadn't been done at that point. almost all metal bands are greatly influenced by these two bands.

i read that wikipedia summary of heavy metal, and i think they got it right.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2005, 04:46:37 PM »

Whatever people might think of them,

Jimmy Page himself refuses to call the band metal.

Also He claims that it was the alternative in those days.
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2005, 04:59:41 PM »

He also refuses to call himself a Satanist? hihi

smoking Izzy? smoking

Cubb
Rocker

Get In The Ring!

« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2005, 05:05:03 PM »

He also refuses to call himself a Satanist  hihi

smoking Izzy  smoking

hihi rofl

2 often we lose sight of lifes simple pleasures remember when someone anoys u it takes 42 muscles in ur face to frown but it only takes 4 extend ur arm an BITCHSLAP THE MOTHERFUCKER IN THE FACE!R&FnR!
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2005, 05:14:39 PM »

Jimmy Page himself refuses to call the band metal.
He was right.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2005, 05:47:13 PM »

Well there's a lot of new bands that are called heavy Metal and I think they suck.
Bands like slipknot, and stuff like go that way I think they are just pure crap.

No man can be my equal
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2005, 07:01:25 PM »

sabbath are the gods of heavy metal and there is no other way of looking at it.

They arn't gods of metal, but they were a prototype sort of slow metal. somewhat nu-metalish. it could be called metal but it isnt. the metal we know and love is speed and shred. they were slow and demoic (to a degree) when ozzy got randy rhodes, and later, zakk wylde then he began to play hevay metal. Priest was the first metal band the influence bands like motorhead, metallica, pantera, etc.

led zep was very heavy in their day, and did many things that hadn't been done at that point. almost all metal bands are greatly influenced by these two bands.

zep wasnt heavy in thier day. AC/DC, Alice Cooper, and Kiss were the heavy guys of the 70's. as ppbebe puts it, they were doing alternative which turned into the rock they they have become. stop brining up Zeppelin in a hevay metal thread.

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2005, 10:42:02 PM »

They arn't gods of metal, but they were a prototype sort of slow metal. somewhat nu-metalish.

Black Sabbath nu-metal!?!  Shocked Absolutely not. Down tuned guitars alone do not make nu-metal. They are completely opposite of nu-metal. Nu-metal and doom metal (what most would call Sabbath) aren't even close to each other. Doom metal is slow by today's standards, but before speed metal came with Judas Priest and Motorhead, Sabbath was fast enough.

it could be called metal but it isnt. the metal we know and love is speed and shred.

What about doom metal and black metal? Speed isn't everything. Riff quality, atmosphere, and song writing are far more important. Metal doesn't have to be fast at all.

they were slow and demoic (to a degree) when ozzy got randy rhodes, and later, zakk wylde then he began to play hevay metal. Priest was the first metal band the influence bands like motorhead, metallica, pantera, etc.

Priest was incredibly influential to heavy metal, but give credit where it's due. Sabbath did it first, years before Priest. Compare Black Sabbath to Judas Priest's Rocka Rolla. Sabbath was metal for a good 5 years before Judas Priest. Considering what had been before Sabbath (let me be frank: nothing), they are far more important to metal.

Motorhead did learn from Priest, but they have some punk and blues in there, as well. Metallica and Pantera, of course, derived their sounds from what already existed. However, thrash was developing so quickly, I wouldn't say Metallica ripped off other bands, but they certainly aren't original. Pantera, on the other hand, stole their groove sound from Exhorder.

zep wasnt heavy in thier day. AC/DC, Alice Cooper, and Kiss were the heavy guys of the 70's. as ppbebe puts it, they were doing alternative which turned into the rock they they have become. stop brining up Zeppelin in a hevay metal thread.

Led Zeppelin is blues rock with godly solos, but it isn't metal. And come on, you know the word "alternative" seems to mean something different every decade.  Tongue I would say Rush, Blue Oyster Cult, and Deep Purple are heavier than AC/DC, Cooper, and Kiss. I don't look down on people saying Zep is metal because they were very influential to metal (folk influence, epic long songs, solos, etc), and because metal was not a very strict definition in the 70's, it was still being formed.

Of course, bringing up System of a Down is definitely inappropriate for a metal thread. They aren't metal and never have been. No good riffs, no good solos, terrible atmosphere, angst, stupidly down tuned guitars, and political gimmick shit make them nu-metal. I'll go as far to say they're probably the best nu-metal band out there, but that's not saying very much.  hihi There are hundreds of more worthy bands out there.
dustNroses
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2005, 01:54:36 AM »

Megadeth. my second fave band after guns. Mustaine write songs with meaning, kinda like guns did.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2005, 05:00:34 PM »

acdc have always referred to themselves as a rock and roll band

and alice cooper and kiss were glam rock, werent they?

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2005, 05:42:59 PM »

ya but they had a much heavier sound then Zeppelin. Compare "Detroit Rock City" to, say "Heartbreaker", which is more of a Zeppelin tread.

And Walk, what i mean is that yes Sabbath started something, but metal is speed and shred, yes doom metal is slow, but Sabbath plays sort of a doom metal. Yes, I give credit for sabbath being the first "metal" band, but heavy metal didnt develope untill Priest came allong. Don't get me wrong, I love Sabbath, but like I said, they started something that Priest perfected.

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2005, 01:05:11 PM »

You can't trace the origins of metal back to one band it evolved from other styles

smoking Izzy? smoking

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2005, 04:15:27 PM »

ya but they had a much heavier sound then Zeppelin. Compare "Detroit Rock City" to, say "Heartbreaker", which is more of a Zeppelin tread.

And Walk, what i mean is that yes Sabbath started something, but metal is speed and shred, yes doom metal is slow, but Sabbath plays sort of a doom metal. Yes, I give credit for sabbath being the first "metal" band, but heavy metal didnt develope untill Priest came allong. Don't get me wrong, I love Sabbath, but like I said, they started something that Priest perfected.

Preist didnt perfect it cause they was high pitched if i remember rightly. Or the dudes solo stuff is. I hate that cause this live thing he does is super heavy but then his voice massacres it.  Cry

html sucks
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2005, 08:16:12 PM »

His name is Rob Halford, and he's the metal god. His voice is perfect.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: