Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 03:46:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Heavy-Metal: yes or no?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heavy-Metal: yes or no?  (Read 35223 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2005, 03:06:19 PM »

Maybe he meant metalcore.
journey
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2005, 03:32:02 PM »

If u are gonna try out rap please dont listen to Will Smith, he is horrible.

He is not! Just because he's never been shot at doesn't mean he's horrible. How can you diss the Jiggy? Will Smith incorporates humor into his music, which is very refreshing. He's like a glass of lemonade, sweet and refreshing.  hihi It's true, it's true!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2005, 03:35:04 PM »

name 5 Will Smith songs without lookin them up. hihi

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2005, 05:47:35 PM »

name 5 Will Smith songs without lookin them up. hihi
I could name 4 but I'm not going to embarrass myself, anyway DJ Jazzy Jeff was much better than the Fresh Prince?

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2005, 06:32:55 PM »

If u are gonna try out rap please dont listen to Will Smith, he is horrible.

2Pac,notorious BIG,NWA,Ice T or Eminem are who I recommend.

nice to know that the rappers you approve of are criminals, sexual abusers, drug peddlers, assholes or media junkies

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2005, 07:07:50 PM »

Ok I Q,

Listen to Kanye West or Common then.  Two of the most popular rappers out there today.  Rapping about world issues, family, love, jesus, past experiences that don't involve guns, or how rap songs about rims are lame.
psycotron
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2005, 07:55:59 PM »

lil jon and vanilla ice are good rappers also
Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2005, 07:25:45 AM »

Ok I Q,

Listen to Kanye West or Common then.  Two of the most popular rappers out there today.  Rapping about world issues, family, love, jesus, past experiences that don't involve guns, or how rap songs about rims are lame.

ok, i might have a listen...i tend to avoid this genre because i thought blacks had forgotten how to talk about real and personal issues

vanilla ice...add idiot to the above list

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2005, 11:45:59 AM »

RAP IS CRAP W/OUT THE C.

all rap sux becuz theres no pleasurex

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2005, 02:46:07 PM »

Someone remind me how this went from a metal thread to a rap one.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2005, 02:53:38 PM »

sorrow?Huh..how can banging the shit out of drums be representative of sorrow?...i dont think you understand the meaning of the word

How can moaning about a girl leaving u be anything less than vomit inducing?

Not all metal involves a thumping drum beat - or drums at all!

anger, frustration lumped under aggression, yes all part of the same spectrum...very narrow isnt it?

No more so than any other genre which focuses on one core emotion

you know, i have a problem with people calling coldplay "rock"...exactly which parts of their music "rock"? they are bland and for people on prozac...so i disagree with the gap comment for sure

Purely an example, but Coldplay have to be rock - what else could they be?

imo GNR has covered very little, if any, music that would be considered metal...which songs would that be? most of them are rock music

What is rock music? Elvis was the/a pioneer of 'rock n'roll', but his music isn't much like GNR

subtle dude, calling me a fascist, maybe i just have some taste in "music"...which means organised sound btw, something that metal isnt...hisssssssss

No, that last bit wasn't aimed at u, atleats it wasn't supposed to be, i don't think ur a fascist

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2005, 03:01:19 PM »

Someone remind me how this went from a metal thread to a rap one.

Someone.... possibly me  Grin.... tried to prove that the people defending metal by saying "you need to be open to more types of music" are a bunch of hypocrites and just as bad as the people who were arguing "metal is just a bunch of noise".

Thread-starter: "I've listened to metal, I don't get it.  It's shit.  Just a bunch of pointless noise."
Metal-heads: "I've listened to rap, I don't get it.  It's shit.  Just a bunch of pointless noise."
Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2005, 05:19:51 PM »

only if you are not in touch with your emotions...i dont find it vomit enducing when the wording and the feeling is appropriate

I like to see you find a metal song that doesnt have drums

No more so than any other genre which focuses on one core emotion

jazz country rock blues soul etc doesnt...what genres are you talking about?

Purely an example, but Coldplay have to be rock - what else could they be?

Britpop? imo dull depressing lyrics dont fit into what i define as rock music...

What is rock music? Elvis was the/a pioneer of 'rock n'roll', but his music isn't much like GNR

and led zeppelin's primary influences included elvis but they sound nothing like him either...and led zep sound nothing like gnr...

rock music...guitar, drums, bass, singer with a strong beat of moderate to fast tempo not concentrating on any one emotion and music that gets people moving...spiritual rapture for some, passion and highly charged emotion for others...thats the best i can do...aerosmith, acdc, stones, elvis, gnr, even bon jovi but coldplay...blech

No, that last bit wasn't aimed at u, atleats it wasn't supposed to be, i don't think ur a fascist

no problemo

(Winston Churchill)"
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2005, 05:29:50 PM »

Rock N' Roll by Led Zeppelin does sound alot like Elvis and in my opinion there are many similarities between Gn'R and Zeppelin

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2005, 08:17:55 PM »

Let me clear this just in case. Zep is not heavy metal.

Got a hair metal song sounding like AFD, Anyone?
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2005, 09:17:19 PM »

Freight Train by Nitro. Somewhat GN'Rish. Check 'em out: http://www.deepturtle.net/nitro.mpg

Cordesy of Walk  ok

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2005, 10:01:48 PM »

Someone.... possibly me  Grin.... tried to prove that the people defending metal by saying "you need to be open to more types of music" are a bunch of hypocrites and just as bad as the people who were arguing "metal is just a bunch of noise".

Thread-starter: "I've listened to metal, I don't get it.  It's shit.  Just a bunch of pointless noise."
Metal-heads: "I've listened to rap, I don't get it.  It's shit.  Just a bunch of pointless noise."

Bullshit. People who say something, even grindcore, is "pointless noise", don't understand deeper meanings in music, only the aesthetics. Rap's worldview is inferior to metal's, and it has nothing to do with the sound. Rather, the sound comes from the worldview! Rap espouses democracy and egalitarianism, and the sounds that come from this are the typical beats and spoken words that anyone can do, which explains its popularity. It's run of the mill tripe, by definition. Just accept it.

Heavy metal (good heavy metal, not 6 Feet Under or flower metal) encourages elitism, superiority, and power. It's about who can write heavier riffs and higher notes. It's a contest to who can have the greatest quality. However, as the Nitro example shows, simply having the best voice and guitars does NOT make a great band.  hihi Songwriting is the key, and combining the complex elements of metal into an emotional song make it a difficult art to master. It's not democratic, and it doesn't aim to appeal to the masses (harsh vocals, anyone?). You have to be open minded to appreciate it, but you also have to accept that not everyone can like it. It's something you're born with.

I HAVE been open to music and I've heard my share of rap. I only have so long to live, and I regret the time I wasted in the rap/pop/mallcore phase I used to be in. But hell, I'll probably regret being a metalhead in 30 years when I turn into a classical snob. Wink So, just appreciate the type of music you like, but don't fool yourself into thinking it's better than something clearly superior. I love metal more than anything else, but I know that it doesn't even come close to classical.

There's a difference between liking something and appreciating something. You can like rap as I like metal, but you should appreciate metal more, as I appreciate classical more. Maybe you'll learn to like it someday.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2005, 11:26:11 AM »

Freight Train by Nitro. Somewhat GN'Rish. Check 'em out: http://www.deepturtle.net/nitro.mpg

Cordesy of Walk  ok
Cheers mate.

but I'm not sure whether this is AFDish enough to convince the pigeonhole heads. Undecided
Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2005, 02:48:08 PM »

Rock N' Roll by Led Zeppelin does sound alot like Elvis and in my opinion there are many similarities between Gn'R and Zeppelin

smoking Izzy  smoking

im not going to argue this one  hihi...

according to wikipedia, led zeppelin and black sabbath were 2 of the pioneers of heavy metal...but i am unfamiliar with the origins of heavy metal so i cant say whether this is true or not...

(Winston Churchill)"
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2005, 03:21:06 PM »

according to wikipedia, led zeppelin and black sabbath were 2 of the pioneers of heavy metal

Judas Priest invneted the metal we all know and love. Sabbath began something but didnt quite finish it up.

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: