Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 03:30:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Heavy-Metal: yes or no?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heavy-Metal: yes or no?  (Read 35201 times)
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2005, 09:08:24 AM »

todays rap is totally fucked up!!!

I still got repect for Ice T - Cube - E n' all the old schoolers, but NOTHIN' out today is worth anything!!!!!
Im still a fan of Snoops Doggystyle, but that sell out motherfucker is the worst of the lot!!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2005, 04:03:39 PM »

yea exactly, metal bands tend to waffle about destruction, nuclear war, death and lean towards heavy distortion and dissonance etc...

and?  Not all metal bands do that. It's funny how you make it sound like your opnions are facts.

..not exactly guns n roses imo...if anyone thinks gnr are a metal band then name a gnr song which is a metal song...

Who cares if some people think G N' R are metal?

i said "tend to"...not all bands...,maybe you should read before you criticise

if you didnt care, you wouldnt have replied...

I would consider Out Ta Get Me, Anything Goes, Rocket Quenn, Welcome to the Jungle, My Michelle and Nightrain as glam metal and It's so Easy as metal

i guess noone really knows do they?...i think that out ta get me and its so easy are bordering on metal, rocket queen,nightrain and my michelle as hard rock,welcome to the jungle as glam metal...is there a definitive answer on these genres? or is it just down to ear and guessing?

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2005, 11:41:34 PM »

Wow.? Thank you for proving my point.

You obviously know fuck-all about rap music, and don't have any interest in opening an ear to it.? Just like nesquick has no interest in listening to metal in-depth.? Yet you guys are on his case for "not being open to all types of music", etc.

BTW, nice job of picking an artist at the top of the charts to represent all hip hop (Nelly)... You'd think a fan of rock music would appreciate the fact that sometimes the best artists aren't found in the top 40.? Just goes to show you how ignorant YOU are to different types of music.

Just to let ya know I've listened to my share of rap, some underground stuff, and I think its pretty much all garbage.  I've given it a shot, its just not very good.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
psycotron
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2005, 06:30:58 AM »

chinese democracy will be the resurrection!!!!!! ok
There's no way CD will be a "metal" record. I don't think Axl worked 10 years to deliver a metal album. This is not what GN'R is about. This is not a metal band.
IMO GnR are a bit like glam metal so if chinese democracy becomes popular maybe hair metal will be popular. are u people saying that u love GnR but u hate bands like motley crue, skid row and poison cause that would be stupid.
Spandex Angel
Opening Act

$et To $leaze

« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2005, 08:20:05 AM »

i like skid row, poison,  GNR, hanoi rocks, bon jovi etc but i woulden't say i was a 'metal' fan, when you think that what most people consider metal nowadays is slipknot and korn
early metallica/megadeth is ok, but i wouldn't say i was a 'fan' Undecided

Warning: NikkI $ixX Fan Wandering around aimlessley

Nikki:
The thing with Axl is as much as I love him, he's kind of a fucking emo fag. He's not really a dude.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2005, 11:58:11 AM »

There's no way CD will be a "metal" record. I don't think Axl worked 10 years to deliver a metal album. This is not what GN'R is about. This is not a metal band.
IMO GnR are a bit like glam metal so if chinese democracy becomes popular maybe hair metal will be popular. are u people saying that u love GnR but u hate bands like motley crue, skid row and poison cause that would be stupid.
YES. Sorry dude I didn't gew up with the 80's hair metal US bands. For me GN'R is more the Illusion erea than the Appetite one. I never knew the appetite erea. I was way too young, and in Europe GN'R weren't that popular until the illusion erea comes. You've to know it was totally different here compared with the USA.The band's popularity exploded later in Europe, when the Use Your Illusion albums went out in the 90'S.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 12:11:50 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2005, 02:31:14 PM »

How can you say that there is no way it will be metal?  You say that htis is not what GNR is about, well please explain what they are about?  Look at the line up:  Finck and Brain are very capable of metal chops and have done so in the past.  OMG is not exactly a pop song, nor is Silkworms and CD.  So what is GNR about?  I think that they are about to be forgotten.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2005, 04:41:42 PM »

OMG is not exactly a pop song, nor is Silkworms

Indeed they are not pop songs. You know what? they are not even "songs" for me...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 04:43:25 PM by nesquick » Logged

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2005, 04:52:41 PM »

OMG is not exactly a pop song, nor is Silkworms

Indeed they are not pop songs. You know what? they are not even "songs" for me...

Right on nesquick.  Those "songs" are garbage.  Especially Silk Worms.  I can right a better song than Silk Worms.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2005, 05:24:19 PM »

I love Axl but I hate when he goes into this indus weirdo direction. What a crap kind of music. It's so desapointing comming from such a talented person. When I listen to those "songs", I can't believe they are coming from the same man who wrote songs like Estranged, November Rain, Sweet Child of Mine etc... it's just day and night. On the one hand you've genius art, on the other hand you've unnamed mediocrity.
The first time I heard "oh my god" I cut the song after less than 1 minute and I've never heard it entierely since that moment. I though I was listening to death metal mixed with heavy industrial crap. I can't. It gets on my nerves. It's an insult to music. I remember back in 1999, the reactions were extremely violent toward this "song". I remember fans were massively complaining. Hoppefully that wasn't my hears...the song was just very, very bad.  I barely recognized Axl's voice (mixed with 1000 computer effects). WTF was that?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 05:36:06 PM by nesquick » Logged

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2005, 05:33:54 PM »

I don't hate those bands but I don't like their music. I hate the idea of whoever the fuckas using GN'R to gain for their own ends, let alone for the revival of the hair metal gangs. It's fuckin sissy.

On AFD I recognize the sounds kin to hairmetal and also the big difference.
On UYI there's no more similarity to it.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2005, 05:49:45 PM »

So you two don't like GN'R anymore.

I sometimes wonder if this GN'R isn't making the music just to my liking. hihi hihi hihi
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2005, 07:56:38 PM »

ya know....this guys right man,

The way i see Chinese Democracy and its effects on the world, is it either just kicks the music industry's door right fuckin' down and changes everything, and gives metal and others genres the credit and attention they deserve!!

i honestly think we will see more bands being signed and playing more that have been shoved aside for a long time!!

the real deal.

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2005, 11:07:13 PM »

Chinese Democracy will be rock music, and GnR have always been rock music. They have been metal influenced, but they are not metal. Crash Diet (especially that solo!) is as close to metal as they got. They have always been a pop rock band (a great one, though!) more than anything else. Metal isn't dead and there are plenty of good new bands coming out.

Let me finish this about all this (c)rap. I've heard it, lots of it. It's terrible, period. There's a HUGE difference in having an open mind and having good taste in music. Don't criticize people as "elitist" because they have higher standards than you. I'm not claiming that people will be listening to metal in 200 years, but it's clearly higher on the musical food chain than rap.

Rap's problem isn't with the asthetics, or even the minimal musical skill required. Even the usually terrible lyrics aren't the problem. Complex music with deep lyrics can be bad, too. Rap's problem is its errant worldview, making it a poor medium for composing and expressing emotion in art. It expresses reality too subjectively, and it lacks the lofty idealism found in heavy metal.

Harsh vocals and distorted guitars insure that metal will always have the most dedicated fans. Most people who love metal have to be open minded about it, and those who aren't avoid the scene. The point is, it keeps the poseurs out. Get used to harsh vocals and you have about doubled the amount of metal out there you can enjoy!

Finally, Oh My God has nothing to do with death metal at all. Your own perception of death metal is flawed. You need to listen to more of it to appreciate it. Get some of The Chasm and Atheist, that will help set you straight!
journey
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2005, 03:07:53 AM »

Chinese Democracy will be rock music, and GnR have always been rock music. They have been metal influenced, but they are not metal. Crash Diet (especially that solo!) is as close to metal as they got. They have always been a pop rock band (a great one, though!) more than anything else. Metal isn't dead and there are plenty of good new bands coming out.

Let me finish this about all this (c)rap. I've heard it, lots of it. It's terrible, period. There's a HUGE difference in having an open mind and having good taste in music. Don't criticize people as "elitist" because they have higher standards than you. I'm not claiming that people will be listening to metal in 200 years, but it's clearly higher on the musical food chain than rap.

Rap's problem isn't with the asthetics, or even the minimal musical skill required. Even the usually terrible lyrics aren't the problem. Complex music with deep lyrics can be bad, too. Rap's problem is its errant worldview, making it a poor medium for composing and expressing emotion in art. It expresses reality too subjectively, and it lacks the lofty idealism found in heavy metal.

Harsh vocals and distorted guitars insure that metal will always have the most dedicated fans. Most people who love metal have to be open minded about it, and those who aren't avoid the scene. The point is, it keeps the poseurs out. Get used to harsh vocals and you have about doubled the amount of metal out there you can enjoy!

Finally, Oh My God has nothing to do with death metal at all. Your own perception of death metal is flawed. You need to listen to more of it to appreciate it. Get some of The Chasm and Atheist, that will help set you straight!

Rap is just as beautiful as any other form of music. If you can't see that, then it's time to search your soul. Take a chance, take a risk, make a change, and breakaway.

Here are a few you should take a chance on:

2Pac? philosophical style

Will Smith? clean fun style

Eazy E? Automobile
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 03:47:23 PM by journey » Logged
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2005, 04:19:21 AM »

I though I was listening to death metal mixed with heavy industrial crap.

Death metal.............. Christ, could you be more ignorant? Just shut up, please.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2005, 04:32:00 AM »

If u are gonna try out rap please dont listen to Will Smith, he is horrible.

2Pac,notorious BIG,NWA,Ice T or Eminem are who I recommend.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2005, 04:47:03 AM »

If u are gonna try out rap please dont listen to Will Smith, he is horrible.

2Pac,notorious BIG,NWA,Ice T or Eminem are who I recommend.

also try some  Public Enemy .

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2005, 04:50:56 AM »

Oh yeah, how did I forget

also

Eazy E,Nas and Jay Z is alright

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Chris Misfit
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2005, 05:00:33 AM »

"i like every kind of metal except for hardcore"