Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2024, 07:24:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228089 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GnR one of the most innovative bands ever?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: GnR one of the most innovative bands ever?  (Read 3844 times)
joeyramone
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: May 06, 2005, 11:14:50 PM »

look at all their albums released: AFD-pure hard rock,balls to the walls(lol) "80's rock" album
Lies-all acoustic
UYI I and II- a mixture of pretty much everything(ranging from NR to YCBM and averything in between)
TSI?- punk cover album
CD- who knows lol, but it will be completely different from anything GnR and Axl has ever released
I mean, they've never had a "repeat" album, and have always been constantly changing, and I cant think of any other band that has changed so dramatically as Guns has over the years, it was almost surreal. They've had more diversity musically than some bands that release over 10 albums. (Goddamn I just typed this all out, and I dont know where its goin...lol comments I guess??
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 11:50:35 PM »

Lies-all acoustic
Nops. Besides the fact that the Live Like A Suicide EP is there, the only pure acoustic song is Patience. The other ones have eletric guitars (wich is a really cool blend).
I cant think of any other band that has changed so dramatically as Guns has over the years
Maybe you should listen to some Radiohead and Pearl Jam albums... Tongue

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 12:35:51 AM »

Oh God no.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
SLCPUNK
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 12:49:30 AM »

At the time, there was nothing like it....
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 04:05:15 AM »

Except for all the bands who came before them.

The Illusions albums were probably the most stylistically varied mainstream rock albums of the time, but that's not saying much. GNR were never exactly on the cutting edge of innovation, they just re-popularized a few things that were on the back-burner before they came along. Well, maybe they innovated a few creative ways of applying the word "fuck" in popular music, but that's about it. Let's not forget that the main musical problem facing the band after Illusions was that most of the band just wanted to continue as they'd started while the redhead was pushing to update their sound (and they were definately playing catch-up at that point).

The new GNR has a small chance of showing us something new, but likely their major innovation will be that they don't sound like old GNR.
Warren
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 04:12:37 AM »

Except for all the bands who came before them.

The Illusions albums were probably the most stylistically varied mainstream rock albums of the time, but that's not saying much. GNR were never exactly on the cutting edge of innovation, they just re-popularized a few things that were on the back-burner before they came along. Well, maybe they innovated a few creative ways of applying the word "fuck" in popular music, but that's about it. Let's not forget that the main musical problem facing the band after Illusions was that most of the band just wanted to continue as they'd started while the redhead was pushing to update their sound (and they were definately playing catch-up at that point).

The new GNR has a small chance of showing us something new, but likely their major innovation will be that they don't sound like old GNR.

Very small innovation indeed. And a pretty sad one... nugnr not sounding like Guns N'Roses...
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 04:29:03 AM »

I hate bash and haters, now they even hate OLD gnr.  Sad Angry

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 04:37:52 AM »

I hate bash and haters, now they even hate OLD gnr.? Sad Angry
I think there's a difference between hatred and honest appraisal.
It may disturb you to know that it's actually possible to like something and still be objective about it.
SADIS
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 04:47:55 AM »

Guns N Roses can be credited for alot of stuff but not being innovative. Almost every songs follows the same pattern. Which I love to death but is not innovative. They were just really great in doing what they did best, but were not innovative.
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 08:02:46 AM »

Fuck innovation!!  Lots of crappy artists hide their lack of talent behind the excuse that they're being original, and there's nothing to compare them with. 

Guns N' Roses didn't invent anything, but they had the balls to compare themselves to all the big names that came out before them, and didn't pale by comparison

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 09:26:10 AM »

GNR did invent something. Great albums (not including the newGNR). Slashes guitar playing, axls singing and lyrics, izzys rythem. Duff's, well pure look and attitude and im sure even steven did something.

html sucks
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 10:22:40 AM »

drugs?  Wink

They're not one of the most innovative bands by a long shot, but they managed to make some of the best rock to date, which is more than good enough for me.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
cosanostra
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005, 08:52:12 AM »

GNR did invent something. Great albums (not including the newGNR). Slashes guitar playing, axls singing and lyrics, izzys rythem. Duff's, well pure look and attitude and im sure even steven did something.

are u kiddin...
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2005, 09:07:27 AM »

when I think of innovative bands, I think about bands like Led Zeppelin, Jane's Addiction, Primus, RHCP and The Mars Volta.
not a hard rock band like GN'R, sure they put rock and roll back to where it should be in the late 80s, but they have mainly written pretty much only hard rock rongs and hard rock ballads.
even so, they were better than most others! ok

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2005, 10:03:02 AM »

I hear Even the Beatles wasn't the most innovative band of the times.

it was almost surreal. They've had more diversity musically than some bands that release over 10 albums. (Goddamn I just typed this all out, and I dont know where its goin...lol comments I guess??
I agree that the band now has more diversity than any other band.

Look at the members. Each of them is individualistic. different looks, personality and musical background.....

Listen to the songs. 7 of them are all so different to each other. This is surreal, really.

Oh My God, Chinese Democracy, Silk Worms, Madagascar, The Blues, Riyadh n IRS.....

the direction of Riyadh may turn out to be innovative. I just sense it.
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2005, 05:25:45 PM »

I hate bash and haters, now they even hate OLD gnr.? Sad Angry

And yet they keep coming on the website to put in the same two cents over and over again. Ud never believe most of em ever even liked GNR to begin with. But hey opinions are like assholes, everybodys got one..........

And some stink worse than others  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2005, 08:02:43 PM »

They weren't so much innovative as they were a breath of fresh air. They were all the best parts of early Aerosmith, the Stones, maybe a dash of the Sex Pistols/Hanoi Rocks, and a touch of Zeppelin at a time when every other band on the block was copping the worst parts of Van Halen and dressing like the New York Dolls (but not as cool). I wouldn't call it innovative but fuck....who cares? In one album they managed to secure a spot as one of the greatest rock and roll bands that ever existed. To me that beats innovation, to excel so perfectly out of the gate like that.

My hope is that they get CD out there and become another breath of fresh air.  yes
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2005, 08:47:16 PM »

Sweet Child Of Mine is they're most innovative song. Everything after AFD was a downturn or GNR artistically imo. Lyrically Axl came close with Civil War in an innovative sense, and as far as i know the band wrote the music for that. Both songs are more original than they were innovative.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2005, 09:50:31 PM »

Who gives a shit about innovation?! They where great musicians pure and simple.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2005, 11:09:50 AM »

Axl was innovative by wearing those homo looking tight, short shorts that he used to wear all the time.  Not many heterosexuals would wear them, so yes, that's an innovation.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: