Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 03:03:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Merck writes a letter to the NY Times
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Merck writes a letter to the NY Times  (Read 85076 times)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #260 on: March 08, 2005, 06:43:12 PM »

I was serious. English is not my native language. Sometimes there are words I don't understand.  peace

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #261 on: March 08, 2005, 06:50:11 PM »

what is a "cowbell"? Huh

adler opens nightrain with a 4 nice strokes on the cowbell i.e. peace

if your not sarcastic eh....

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #262 on: March 08, 2005, 07:25:27 PM »

Will Farrell was funny as hell with the cowbell on don't fear the reaper. hihi

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #263 on: March 08, 2005, 08:46:31 PM »

A small update

The New York Times did respond to Merck. They have asked him to shorten his response to 300 words or less.? hihi
As ususal, I'm confused.? Are you serious here?? Did they really ask him to shorten his response?

I know his response hasn't been posted in the paper yet (Monday or Tuesday's editions) but I thought that maybe they were waiting until the Sunday edition because the readership volume is so much higher and that was the edition the article was posted in.

When you put that smilie on the end of your post, I wasn't sure if it meant you think it's funny they asked him to shorten his response? or if it means you're being jokingly sarcastic because this thread is now 14 pages long.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #264 on: March 08, 2005, 09:12:38 PM »

I was serious. English is not my native language. Sometimes there are words I don't understand.  peace

Ok cool. Hope I didnt offend you. I honestly thought you were being sarcastic. Peace bro.  peace

p.s. , if you ever start your own band make sure your drummer HAS a cowbell and make sure he OVERuses it. Cowbell gets chicks.

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #265 on: March 08, 2005, 09:27:05 PM »

offend me? No, don't worry you didn't offend me at all. I'm a very cool guy.?No problemo. peace
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 09:29:44 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #266 on: March 09, 2005, 03:32:07 AM »

I'm a very cool guy.?

I think it would be best if you'd let other people say that...

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #267 on: March 09, 2005, 04:55:03 AM »

I'm a very cool guy.?

I think it would be best if you'd let him be.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #268 on: March 09, 2005, 05:25:55 AM »

I'm a very cool guy.?

I think you should have a better sense of humour but unfortunately you don't. So shut up.

Warren
« Reply #269 on: March 09, 2005, 06:15:27 AM »

It is understandable that the album hasn't been released yet : Axl is surrounded by stupid people like this thing called "Merck"...
Milking Axl seems to be their way of life !
This Merck is a liar when he says the album is almost done. If it was true there would be a release date ! But there isn't.

Or maybe the album has been completed a long time ago (May 2002) but after what happened during the US tour, Axl and Geffen are afraid it won't sell a lot. So they are waiting for a better moment...

Moreover, people like Stinson or Finck aren't even mentioned in the NY article... That tells a lot... Tongue
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #270 on: March 09, 2005, 07:34:58 AM »

I'm a very cool guy.

I think you should have a better sense of humour but unfortunately you don't. So shut up.

Try to get back on topic there guys.  ok  hihi

So , does anyone know if Merck letter to the times got printed in part or in full.

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #271 on: March 09, 2005, 08:12:12 AM »

I'm a very cool guy.?

I think you should try to be funny next time if you want me to find your post humorous, but unfortunately it's not likely.
So shut up.  ok

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
dodge
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #272 on: March 09, 2005, 09:26:26 AM »

As some others have already posted, I too, suspect the NY Times article and Mercks' response are the beginings of a promotional push for the album. Or it is a last gasp effort, by the record company, to coax Axl to release the album, by publicly "calling him on the carpet". If you read the Times article, there is really nothing new or all that damaging said. It basically just collates all the different anecdotes we've all heard over the years, into one article. It even contributes to the Axl "legend" with the stories about driving over the cd's and having Zutaut thrown off the project for merely suggesting that he "bear down" and finish the album.It also refers to the 2002 tour as a success, when most national media coverage ?called it a failure. {personally, I went to the Cleveland show and it was great.and it was well-reviewed.} The article paints the picture of a troubled, talented artist, with the best of intentions and the worst work ethic. Ever. ?Yeah, stop the presses, Axl is an asshole.

? ? The curious thing to me is that nowhere in the article does anyone comment on the quality of the music. This reporter allegedly speaks to forty people involved in the project, and no one says they think it sucks or it's great? Of course some of these people said what they thought, but it wasn't included in the article. Why is that?

? ? Mercks' response is predictable, he vehemently defends his artist while pleading for the public to be a little more patient. That it isn't unusual for an artist to take this long with an album. He benefits from someone else publically calling Axl out on whether he'll ever get his shit together and move forward with his career. Another telling sign, to me anyway, is that the record company had the faith in the material to continually bend over backward to acomodate Axl. There must be some good music waiting to be released.

? ? I personally can't wait for the album to come out because I'm sure I'LL love it. I get the feeling we might end up with something that is overproduced and captures none of the spontanaety of "Appetite" tho. Remember "Sweet Child of Mine" was recorded in one take.
Axl has painted himself into a corner. This album has to be earth- shattering in its impact or else he will consider it a failure. All that is at risk is his legacy. If there is one guy who can pull it off tho, its Axl.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #273 on: March 09, 2005, 10:24:09 AM »

I'm a very cool guy.?

I think you should try to be funny next time if you want me to find your post humorous, but unfortunately it's not likely.
So shut up.? ok

Are you kids done yet?  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
roxxi
Opening Act

« Reply #274 on: March 09, 2005, 10:56:48 AM »

I get the feeling we might end up with something that is overproduced and captures none of the spontanaety of "Appetite" tho.

I think you're right.

I prefer songs that are a bit rough, if you know what I mean. But we'll see.
sergejg
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #275 on: March 09, 2005, 01:10:49 PM »

Could anybody post here the article? I wish I could read exactly what it said.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #276 on: March 09, 2005, 01:17:25 PM »

Could anybody post here the article? I wish I could read exactly what it said.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=19183.0
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #277 on: March 09, 2005, 03:51:41 PM »

The curious thing to me is that nowhere in the article does anyone comment on the quality of the music. This reporter allegedly speaks to forty people involved in the project, and no one says they think it sucks or it's great? Of course some of these people said what they thought, but it wasn't included in the article. Why is that?
Welcome to the hell, dodge and a Good point.  ok

That's perhaps None of the alleged forty are relevant to the real thing. I guess the main part is not supposed to be told in the prologue. The same is true of the current members. It's sad to see BH mention in the article.  It probably means he's really done with Gn'R.  Unlike the rest, He won't make an appearance in the main part of the story. crying Bah! a heartwarming episode tho.

Moreover, people like Stinson or Finck aren't even mentioned in the NY article... That tells a lot...
Indeed.  crying
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #278 on: March 09, 2005, 03:56:27 PM »

The curious thing to me is that nowhere in the article does anyone comment on the quality of the music. This reporter allegedly speaks to forty people involved in the project, and no one says they think it sucks or it's great? Of course some of these people said what they thought, but it wasn't included in the article. Why is that?

perhaps because everything we've heard from anyone who has heard any of the music is positive and promising...
and that would not have fit in with the disasterous, unproductive 'process' described in this article.
audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #279 on: March 09, 2005, 05:50:48 PM »

perhaps because everything we've heard from anyone who has heard any of the music is positive and promising...
and that would not have fit in with the disasterous, unproductive 'process' described in this article.

True, and after reading the article I felt like the author didn't have any 'real' insiders in Axl's camp. Everything that is detailed and elucidated regards the business side of the story, on the other hand, what has been going on within Axl's camp (or for that matter private live) seems based on a very superficial knowledge. It seems to me that the people he was able to speak to were almost exclusively former/current Geffen/Universal employees/managers, not the producers, technicians, musicians etc.

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: