Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 09:15:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Merck writes a letter to the NY Times
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Merck writes a letter to the NY Times  (Read 84980 times)
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2005, 01:22:32 PM »

robin's career will be unaffected if this project flops.

If the album flops and critics think the music STINKS the blame will go to the musicans who WROTE the music. Why would anyone want to work with Robin if his work on the new album is utter rubbish? Robin seems to have allready closed some doors by staying with this project IE:NIN.

KV , you seem to put all this on Axl when in reality theres ALOT of people who have high stakes on the line with this album. The success or failure of this album will affect all the current members of the band very very much so .. much more then you believe it will.

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2005, 01:32:02 PM »

robin's career will be unaffected if this project flops.

If the album flops and critics think the music STINKS the blame will go to the musicans who WROTE the music. Why would anyone want to work with Robin if his work on the new album is utter rubbish? Robin seems to have allready closed some doors by staying with this project IE:NIN.

KV , you seem to put all this on Axl when in reality theres ALOT of people who have high stakes on the line with this album. The success or failure of this album will affect all the current members of the band very very much so .. much more then you believe it will.

The music obviously won't stink; this isn't an outfit of amateurs, but compared to the world shaking efforts of the old band, this new outfit will have huge shoes to fill.  If Robin plays like rubbish as you say, then he deserves all the criticism in the world, but of course he is a very talented player who could find work tomorrow if he decided to leave guns.

You are taking an extreme scenario and forming your argument around it. Taking a more modest view that the music sounds fine but doesn't live up to expectation, the lion's share of the criticism will fall on axl; his role in this record exceeds anyone else in the band. He brought the name, dictated the direction, chose the players and if the sound doesn't work, he will get the blame. Conversely, if he achieves the success that everyone around this record anticipates, he will stand to trump the critics who have attempted to subjugate his talents from the day the old band ended.

in the end, the players have a great deal here; they will reap the benefits of a great album and avoid a great deal of criticism if it fails simply because the public and media perception is that this is axl's baby. His choices and his direction. Tommy said as much after one of his solo shows; he expressed how axl realized that the pressure was on him, that he would be judged the most harshly if he failed. I am excite by the recent reports even the Times piece, because it demontrates that Axl isn't cowering before the business side of the industry, instead he is focused on fulfiling promises and expectations.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2005, 01:55:27 PM »

I'llstick by my opinion that these players have alot at stake here. More then you are willing to admit they do.

murseman
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2005, 01:57:22 PM »

Good on ya Merck!

But lets get this album out already.....
I know - i just know it will meet all of our expectations.

Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2005, 05:35:38 PM »

Merck talkin' tough, good for him. Its good to see there's some ppl in the industry coming out to publicly defend Axl. Its funny though because once again this is somewhat of a reason to finish this thing off for good and release it this year.

I mean I havent heard this much press on GnR since the 2002 VMA's  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2005, 06:01:11 PM »

Your comments show just how little you know about? Axl, Merck or the Album. The people currently involved with the album didn't speak because the media only looks for the negative, they don't want to hear how great things are. You and everybody else on this board can't stand for positive remarks. There are no confidentiality agreements, otherwise all the people that spoke would not have. You'll be laughing and crying once this album comes out when you see how life changing it is.

John J. Rambo

The media only looks for negatives? What a lame excuse. The media would jump on the chance if Axl was willing to give them an exclusive story about Chinese Democracy.

If confidentiality agreements didn't exist we would have heard a lot more about Chinese Democracy than we have because of the number of people involved with the project. Of course there is a confidentiality agreement so it doesn't leak. You are naive if you think one doesn't exist.

You'll be laughing and crying once this album comes out when you see how life changing it is.

People like you have been making statements like that for years, but it hasn't happened. Talk is cheap. Axl and co has been talking the talk for years. Let's see some actions for once.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2005, 06:04:57 PM »

If confidentiality agreements didn't exist we would have heard a lot more about Chinese Democracy than we have because of the number of people involved with the project.
The album also wouldnt be as mysterious and mythical as it is now if we knew much more.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2005, 06:30:57 PM »

Your comments show just how little you know about  Axl, Merck or the Album. The people currently involved with the album didn't speak because the media only looks for the negative, they don't want to hear how great things are. You and everybody else on this board can't stand for positive remarks. There are no confidentiality agreements, otherwise all the people that spoke would not have. You'll be laughing and crying once this album comes out when you see how life changing it is.

John J. Rambo

The media only looks for negatives? What a lame excuse. The media would jump on the chance if Axl was willing to give them an exclusive story about Chinese Democracy.

If confidentiality agreements didn't exist we would have heard a lot more about Chinese Democracy than we have because of the number of people involved with the project. Of course there is a confidentiality agreement so it doesn't leak. You are naive if you think one doesn't exist.

You'll be laughing and crying once this album comes out when you see how life changing it is.

People like you have been making statements like that for years, but it hasn't happened. Talk is cheap. Axl and co has been talking the talk for years. Let's see some actions for once.

In all fairness, Leeds was offered a chance to hear the finished album, and that was refused.  I think that would qualify as an exclusive, but apparently Mr. Leeds and the Times didn't think so.

Ali
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2005, 06:33:32 PM »

Your comments show just how little you know about  Axl, Merck or the Album. The people currently involved with the album didn't speak because the media only looks for the negative, they don't want to hear how great things are. You and everybody else on this board can't stand for positive remarks. There are no confidentiality agreements, otherwise all the people that spoke would not have. You'll be laughing and crying once this album comes out when you see how life changing it is.

John J. Rambo

In all fairness, Leeds was offered a chance to hear the finished album, and that was refused.  I think that would qualify as an exclusive, but apparently Mr. Leeds and the Times didn't think so.

Ali

Just remember, an article about CD being released this year doesn't have the same effect as a $13million black hole. If Leeds had sources that backed up the latter claim, he can find that seam in the journalist code and go with it. And go with it he did. He can ride into history with the likes of Blair and Glass for all I care.

NP Saul. I can respect your opinion. I hope CD is a runaway hit and we don't ever have to know the answer to that question.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2005, 06:34:26 PM »

All these mags and papers that are bashing Axl  now will be kissing his ass when CD drops and when its a hit.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
chadj76
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2005, 06:41:00 PM »

Come on Merck is just trying to save their a$$ that is all.  I am sure Axl flipped when he read the artilce in the paper (or heard about it) and Merck sent this sh*t to keep a job.  Classic political move. 

Don't damn me when I speak a piece of my mind 'cause silence isn't golden when I'm holding it inside
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #191 on: March 07, 2005, 06:43:07 PM »

In all fairness, Leeds was offered a chance to hear the finished album, and that was refused.? I think that would qualify as an exclusive, but apparently Mr. Leeds and the Times didn't think so.

They didnt think so because its really not. ?Who knows how long he would have had to wait for the "finished album." ?More importantly, Leeds had written a story about the history of the album, not an album review. ?What would listening to the album have to do with Leeds' original story? ?He hardly touched on the actual content of the record. ?

In 2000, the album was completed "90% musically, 70% vocally" according to Axls manager. ?It was also supposedly up for release during that year. ?Its a good thing those journalists didnt wait for a finished album listening.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #192 on: March 07, 2005, 06:47:20 PM »

In all fairness, Leeds was offered a chance to hear the finished album, and that was refused.? I think that would qualify as an exclusive, but apparently Mr. Leeds and the Times didn't think so.

They didnt think so because its really not. ?Who knows how long he would have had to wait for the "finished album." ?More importantly, Leeds had written a story about the history of the album, not an album review. ?What would listening to the album have to do with Leeds' original story? ?He hardly touched on the actual content of the record. ?

In 2000, the album was completed "90% musically, 70% vocally" according to Axls manager. ?It was also supposedly up for release during that year. ?Its a good thing those journalists didnt wait for a finished album listening.

Yeah he wrote a story on the album that only interviewed people that have not dealt with the album since 2001.

Also, it seems the album that was done or close to being done in 2000 has been scrapped and they started over. I am sure a few songs will carry over but it seems most were put on the back burner.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2005, 06:52:15 PM »

In 2000, the album was completed "90% musically, 70% vocally" according to Axls manager.? It was also supposedly up for release during that year.? Its a good thing those journalists didnt wait for a finished album listening.
I think that Mercks point is that although some of the info might be true, that the state of the album and GNR are much different now than it was back during that time period.

As the article sates, Zutat was close in getting Axl to release the album...probably 2000 like Doug mentioned and you brought up. But things have undoubtely changed since then. ANd Merck is saying that as a result the article doesnt really resemble the last few years of the making of CD and how CD is today.

It portrays it to be the whole process of the making of Cd when it really is not. Especially when talking about the music and the direction of the band. It portrays it as being chaotic, etc which was certainly the case. But it should have made it clear that it was opnly during a period of time not to this day. The casual fan/reader will think CD is in shambles and has no direction to this day! And I think that isnt the case and clearly I think that is what Merck was trying to express. Si from that perspective I think the article consisted of shoddy journalism. BUt other than that I though it was a cool read. But i could understand why Merck thinks that it gives the wrong interpretation of the current band and album
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 07:00:55 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #194 on: March 07, 2005, 06:54:10 PM »

All these mags and papers that are bashing Axl? now will be kissing his ass when CD drops and when its a hit.

I doubt there will be any type of universal "ass kissing" by any means. ?

Some journalists/media members will like it and give Axl kudos, while others dismiss it and continue the rough treatment.

I expect the older jurnalists like Loder, David Fricke and the like to sing Axl's praises while the younger types that grew up and aquired their musical viewpoints during the early 90's will rake him over the coals. ?None mutually exclusive of course, just speaking in general terms.

Either way it'll be interesting as hell to follow, there's not a lot of inbetween when it comes to the redhead...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #195 on: March 07, 2005, 07:05:28 PM »

But things have undoubtely changed since then. ANd Merck is saying that as a result the article doesnt really resemble the last few years of the making of CD and how CD is today.

I think that's the case as well.

Just like the guy on "Behind The Music" said, Axl's tried to create music that's current in the times particular stylistic landscape.  In taking so long, it's highly likely whatever direction he was going in at that particular time fell by the wayside, keeping Axl a step or 2 behind.

I think his desire to be relevent but lack of timeliness in doing so has morphed whatever songs slated for Chinese Democracy into only he knows what...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #196 on: March 07, 2005, 07:09:20 PM »

I think that's the case as well.

Just like the guy on "Behind The Music" said, Axl's tried to create music that's current in the times particular stylistic landscape.? In taking so long, it's highly likely whatever direction he was going in at that particular time fell by the wayside, keeping Axl a step or 2 behind.

I think his desire to be relevent but lack of timeliness in doing so has morphed whatever songs slated for Chinese Democracy into only he knows what...
To an extent I think it has to do with the sound of the music and staying with the trends. But I think that goes in with when the company kept forcing Axl to release somehting in the late 90's.
 I think over the past few years it hasnt been much of that. More of just working on old material and creating new music and then "perfecting" that more than whats hot at the moment. Of cousre they could be influenced by current trends but not to the extent that I think they were earlier in the project.

To diss Axl{not you Falcon} about staying with the trends is kind of wrong because hes always been interested and a fan of newer nusic. JA,NIN, etc for example. Before these acts were even huge. SO if he tries to INCORPORATE those aspects of music into his own I think thats fine and shouldnt be a reason to say "oh hes trying to fit in". If the whole labum is a NIN/WHite Zobie/MM/nin type album, every song then yes, that characterization and criticism is valid.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 07:20:31 PM by younggunner » Logged

Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #197 on: March 07, 2005, 07:26:44 PM »

Excellent post younggunner. I think Merck is only really concerned with Guns' image since he took over for them a few years ago. I'm sure he believes that he has Axl back on track, it's a much more disciplined ship and the finish line is in sight. He probably really has little beef with what the article had to say about the 94-02 era of GN'R, but he resents the 03-Present era being painted with that brush.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2005, 07:28:59 PM »

Just so everybody knows .... Merck's response letter is NOT in today's (March 7th) NY Times.? no
The "letters to the editor" that are there are dated March 1, 2, 3 & 4.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2005, 07:29:36 PM »

They didnt think so because its really not.  Who knows how long he would have had to wait for the "finished album."  More importantly, Leeds had written a story about the history of the album, not an album review.  What would listening to the album have to do with Leeds' original story?  He hardly touched on the actual content of the record. 

In 2000, the album was completed "90% musically, 70% vocally" according to Axls manager.  It was also supposedly up for release during that year.  Its a good thing those journalists didnt wait for a finished album listening.

Booker, your missing the point I was trying to make.  Acquiesce said that any journalist would jump on the opportunity to have an exclusive story on Chinese Democracy.  I was saying that listening to the finished album would qualify as exclusive, but this reporter passed on it.  I didn't say that it had anything to do with writing an article on the history of the album.  I was just saying that it isn't necessarily true that a journalist would jump on a Chinese Democracy exclusive being that this one didn't.

Ali
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: