Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 03:10:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Tokyo 92 second night mystery?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Tokyo 92 second night mystery?  (Read 14676 times)
Stevenson
Headliner

"Tourmaline Green"

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2005, 08:17:49 PM »

The thing that bugs me about the Tokyo show is that casual GN'R fans that buy the video/dvd's would take one look at those shows and imidiately asume GN'R suck as a live band, ive seen it happen! One of my mates who started gettin into GN'R bought the DVD's and said "yeah great band but they suck live", it was up too me to show him the error of his ways. I gave him a copy of my Ritz 88, Argentina 93 and an audio of perhaps the best show ive ever heard - St. Paul MN Dec. 17th 1987.  Smiley

As soon as my mate viewed/listened to these shows his jaw dropped, for two reasons. Number one: He could'nt believe how awsome GN'R's live show was and, Number Two: he could'nt believe the record company would realease a product like that when so many more proffesionaly shot shows blew the tokyo DVD's away.

I saved my mate from thinking they suck live by explaining that the stuff released by geffen does'nt do the band justice & giving him copys of my shows, but the question is:

How many more people buy those widely available DVD's and think, "oh my god, my favourite band aint to great live" ?   Undecided
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2005, 11:54:43 PM »

Axl was always hit or miss live. He was either really great or really bad.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2005, 12:23:55 AM »

The truth of the matter is, all bands have shitty nights once in awhile. Especially when you're doing four nights a week for months and months.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Crowebar
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2005, 01:11:43 AM »

What really happened with the Tokyo DVD releases??? Huh Huh Huh

Axl went on a 2 week CRACK BENDER and decided that it was the right decision to make. Shocked confused

I bet he regrets it to this day. yes
gnrkoncerti
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2005, 09:23:19 AM »

maybe they didn't have a plan to taped tokyo show,but when the first and seconds night were great,then they made a decision to taped a show!!!1

i don't know for you guys,but for me Tokyo dvd is excellent

i like axl voice on the begginig of sweet child,i like nighttrain,civil war,welcome to the jungle,paradise city,don't cry,pretty tied up and especialy move to the city from that show
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2005, 11:32:14 AM »

maybe they didn't have a plan to taped tokyo show,but when the first and seconds night were great,then they made a decision to taped a show!!!1

i don't know for you guys,but for me Tokyo dvd is excellent

i like axl voice on the begginig of sweet child,i like nighttrain,civil war,welcome to the jungle,paradise city,don't cry,pretty tied up and especialy move to the city from that show

yeah, move to the city is awsome on the tokyo dvd!!!

i don't think there's any doubht that they planed to tape tokyo and release it tho, as mentioned axl talked about the filming the second night...

one good reason they chose tokyo might be that japan is a huge market and live concert from toky would prob. sell more in japan than a gig from paris or msg.

another thing might be that to fill up tokyo dome three nights straight(with a day off inbetween) is pretty awsome and "stat wise" it's pretty damn cool to have a live gig from from that huge place.

but who knows exactly why they chose the tokyo gigs out of them all....

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2005, 11:48:28 AM »

The thing that bugs me about the Tokyo show is that casual GN'R fans that buy the video/dvd's would take one look at those shows and imidiately asume GN'R suck as a live band, ive seen it happen! One of my mates who started gettin into GN'R bought the DVD's and said "yeah great band but they suck live", it was up too me to show him the error of his ways. I gave him a copy of my Ritz 88, Argentina 93 and an audio of perhaps the best show ive ever heard - St. Paul MN Dec. 17th 1987.? Smiley

As soon as my mate viewed/listened to these shows his jaw dropped, for two reasons. Number one: He could'nt believe how awsome GN'R's live show was and, Number Two: he could'nt believe the record company would realease a product like that when so many more proffesionaly shot shows blew the tokyo DVD's away.

I saved my mate from thinking they suck live by explaining that the stuff released by geffen does'nt do the band justice & giving him copys of my shows, but the question is:

How many more people buy those widely available DVD's and think, "oh my god, my favourite band aint to great live" ?? ?Undecided

I don't think anyone but die-hards would be enthused by the Tokyo DVDs. Actually I'm a die-hard and I don't even like 'em. Maybe it's the ultra-primo die-hards that like them. I've watched Tokyo probably 25 times or more, although I havn't seen it in years. (BTW, the fact that they sold one concert as two separat products doesn't help matters.) I was always trying to figure out what's missing, how this could possibly be the same band that produced Appetite and killed at the Ritz. That band that ruled planet Earth from 87-89.

Stevenson, do you know where a fan from back in the day might get hisself a copy of that St Paul '87 show?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 12:18:25 PM by Johnnyblood » Logged

I've seen enough.
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2005, 12:03:27 PM »

I watch this DVD on the treadmill at the gym.  It is a little embarrasing with Axl parading around in those biker shorts, but the music is damn good to work out to.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
Stevenson
Headliner

"Tourmaline Green"

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2005, 02:00:23 PM »

Hey Johnny Blood, I dont know of anywhere you can download it but I do have it here on my hardrive, you could add me to your MSN and i could send you each of the MP3's through that if you want?   ok

I'd urge everyone to find the St Paul '87 show, this whole show along could have been released an album and would have kicked ass. The Nightrain form that show is the most feirce & angry ive ever heard. Axl's vocals are amazing on every song. The SCOM is is the best i've heard Axl sing it ever!  ok

Just to clear something up though, when i started the topic and said the band were a bit "off" during the Tokyo show, I was really mainly talking about Axl. 9 times outa 10 the players, i.e. Slash Duff Matt etc all sound great to me.

Its ture what dave-gnfnr2k said:
"Axl was always hit or miss live. He was either really great or really bad"

When Axl was bad, he was really bad, but those shows where he pulls out all the stops, Axl was quite simply the best there was, you could'nt touch Axl on those nights.
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2005, 02:50:03 PM »

The way Axl would scream, it is inevitable that his voice would not be on every night.  Most shows I have heard he delivered though.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
disease51883
Rocker

Hey, you caught me in a Coma...

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2005, 05:06:00 AM »

When Duff and Axl walk up behind Slash and Gilby on Wild Horses....now that is a moment!

Heh. They kind of remind me of four drunks singing at a bar  during that party. But maybe it's just me.

Even though there are parts of the DVDs that aren't so good, I actually like them as a whole. Axl singing his lungs out while Slash runs through the crowd during "Paradise City" is nice. Oh, and the kilt's always entertaining... Gooood stuff...
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2006, 12:46:34 PM »

Axl does'nt sound too great and the show generaly has no atmosphere.

Eh? I always loved Axl's voice there. He takes a while to get it all opened and running but when he does, he sounds like the raw merciless rock bastard demon he is.You Could Be Mine from Tokyo is THE version of the song for me, always.

Just watched it today after years and years and years of..well..not watching it. Never noticed/realized before that the t shirt Axl wears in Tokyo and on  the picture appearing on UYI lyrics sheet is actually a NIN shirt.  Kinda neat, huh?...well i think it's neat.Can't believe I have never noticed that before.

Judging from the color and text  it's actually pretty rare nin shirt too. It says "Sin" on front, promoting a single off from Pretty Hate Machine.
Not sure if this is worth all that babble, it's just that I feel so fucking dumb Grin I used to have a poster on my wall with Axl wearing that shirt for years. And half decade later, that same logo on my cellphone for years and never spotted the uhhh "connection" Til now, that is.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 12:50:26 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
flicknn
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2006, 12:51:01 PM »

when metallica played in texas in 1997 , they played 3 nights in fort worth and edited all 3 into one dvd/vhs titled Cunning Stunts....wouldnt it be smarter for bands to do this , then they could have like a smorgas board of songs they thought came out great to choose from for the dvd ?
give_it_a_rest
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2006, 01:02:23 PM »

If I remember correctly, then I think the release of the 2 video tapes was intended for sale in Japan Only. I've got a 2cd bootleg that is copied from those tapes. Later the edited ones were released world wide as UYI 1 and 2 I think. Can't remember exactly, but I think it was something like this.

Refused
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2006, 01:02:37 PM »

Is the UYI videos/DVD all from one show, or spliced together from all the Tokyo shows?
How the hell did Axl manage all the changes of clothes if it was from one!
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2006, 01:03:41 PM »

Is the UYI videos/DVD all from one show, or spliced together from all the Tokyo shows?

He really only changes jackets, so it's not very time consuming.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Refused
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2006, 01:06:23 PM »

He really only changes jackets, so it's not very time consuming.

I swear the colour of his shorts change during it.
I don't know, I can't remember!
Refused
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2006, 01:09:47 PM »

Also, YCBM and November Rain are swapped around on the DVDs/videos, are they not?
Although I guess this is because of length/flow of the videos.
holtzmn73
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2006, 01:12:02 PM »

If I remember correctly, then I think the release of the 2 video tapes was intended for sale in Japan Only. I've got a 2cd bootleg that is copied from those tapes. Later the edited ones were released world wide as UYI 1 and 2 I think. Can't remember exactly, but I think it was something like this.

You are correct, it was released in Japan first then later released worldwide.
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2006, 01:19:54 PM »

- The DVD's are not from all three shows, it's just from the 22nd
- I don't think it's that bad
- They really seem to enjoy themselves
- DTJ is fantastic, sad it wasn't the longest version
- The crowd isn't actually so lame, you just can't hear them because it's a soundboard audio

Of course I'd rather take Locomotive or Coma than this, but it's all good.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: